Back To The 70's

Ang Tibay or Camara Shoes? Both are gone now

"Ang Tibay" was the brand of combat boots I used for CAT in high school and CMT in college. Bought it from a military uniforms store near Camp Aguinaldo. True to its brand name, the boots were really durable and of high quality. Used it for 4 years through grass, sand, rocks, mud, water, etc. Buo pa rin when I retired it.

Sad end to this story was that years later, my dad gave it away to a total stranger without my knowledge and consent. Bad trip. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Our 70s drinks then were vodka tonic (smirnoff or stoli). We also made punch with vodka para hindi maamoy. Siempre when we're in Tia Maria's, margarita.

Among the cocktails then, the most popular orderin ng mga girls in our group was weng weng.

Do you guys remember the jelly apples that used to be sold at those kiosks around Araneta center in Cubao? with popsicle sticks na nakatusok (as handle) and dipped in a sugary glaze.

Philippine Airlines TV commercial jingle "Love at 30,000 feet" composed by Joe Mari Chan

beer + gin = beergin with calamansi

...in short, "gin-bulag". kung kapos ang atik, bilog na lang i/o 4kantos.

either way, this "poor-man's drink" was also called "stainless" or "marka demonyo".

Then there was also "White Castle-5 years" (the lapad and the long-neck).

If im not mistaken Evangeline Pascual was one of the WC girls of the 70s. :goatee:

Then there was also "White Castle-5 years" (the lapad and the long-neck).

If im not mistaken Evangeline Pascual was one of the WC girls of the 70s. :goatee:

Yes, she was , riding the famous white horse. E.P. was the first runner up of 1973 Miss World while Maria Margarita Moran was the 1973 Miss Universe.

Do you guys remember the jelly apples that used to be sold at those kiosks around Araneta center in Cubao? with popsicle sticks na nakatusok (as handle) and dipped in a sugary glaze.

Yes, I do remember those jelly apples and the hotdogs on a stick that were also sold at those kiosks. :thumbsupsmiley: I sure miss those kiosks.

wala kaming tv nung 70s eh kinuod lang sa kapitbahay, pag hinahanap kami ng ermats namin punta lang sa hagdan na nuknukan ng dami sinelas tas pag nakita sinelas namin sisigaw na lang. dalas magkawalaan ng sinelas lalo na pag uwian tapos manood ng crispa toyata game hehehehe

naalaa ko una naming tv Radiowealth b & w...nang mauso naman ang colored t.v. umasenso na sa zenith...hulugan pa. :upside:

Since nauuso na naman ang mga vinyl or plaka, I remembered na astig na turntable then was Technics, matched with Marantz or Fischer amplifiers and JBL speakers. Sikat din noon ang Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood and bago pa lamang ang Denon. Yamaha was only popular with its musical instruments like organ, guitar, drums, piano and of course, motorcycles.

Since nauuso na naman ang mga vinyl or plaka, I remembered na astig na turntable then was Technics, matched with Marantz or Fischer amplifiers and JBL speakers. Sikat din noon ang Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood and bago pa lamang ang Denon. Yamaha was only popular with its musical instruments like organ, guitar, drums, piano and of course, motorcycles.

Pards, I agree with everything you mentioned. Pioneer ang sound system namin noon with 3-way speakers. :) It was composed of a stereo receiver (with AM/FM radio), a cassette deck, a turntable, and 2 3-way speakers. Didn't have an equalizer though. Bought the whole system from Abenson sa Cubao. Kenwood and Sansui, correct me if I'm wrong, were on the higher end in terms of price and quality. They were pricier than a Pioneer or Technics system. Akai was also a brand that was quite popular pero I don't think it matched well against any of the brands you mentioned.

As for musical instruments, Yamaha has come a long way. It's now the number 1 in piano sales here in the US.

Edited by willow_boy

I remember those turntables. May mga lumabas na models nun na tangential tracking yung arm. Unlike yung original na at an angle yung arm. Mas maganda daw ang sound kasi perendicular yung position in relation to the vinyl.

Bang and Olufsen yung isang model na nakita ko nun. Sobra mahal.

Buti nalang may cd na ngayon. hehe

Iba pa rin ang sound ng vinyl. Ang gaganda pa ng mga album covers.

right on, pare!

kung bibili ka na ng phono just tell me - madami na akong alam na bibilhan hehehe...

entry-level prices start at P16k - maganda na ito...

Nothing would beat the artwork of LP's - in CD's you need to have magnifying glasses in order to scrutinize the artwork, which in our case 70's beings, is so sorely needed. Artwork pa lang yan - pag may lyrics na dun sa CD it is next to impossibe to read them, not like LP jackets where the writing is reasonably legible..

May nagsale ng LPs sa QC - finally found the Grateful Dead and Frank Zappa albums I've been looking for. That's another thing with CDs. Nearly impossible to locate CD reissues of some classic 70's albums.

sa basketball - hindi siya pinoy pero i wont forget SHIN DONG PA - the thorn in RP basketball's asian domination. simply the best shooter there is. long before chip engelland, allan caidic, ricky brown lim eng beng...

before the pba there was MICAA

yco, yutivo, puyat steel (tom dose),

mariwasa - (billy robinson)

meralco

pba (1975)

crispa

toyota

Edited by tabouki
sa basketball - hindi siya pinoy pero i wont forget SHIN DONG PA - the thorn in RP basketball's asian domination. simply the best shooter there is. long before chip engelland, allan caidic, ricky brown lim eng beng...

before the pba there was MICAA

yco, yutivo, puyat steel (tom dose),

mariwasa - (billy robinson)

meralco

pba (1975)

crispa

toyota

=================================================================

Yap, also Japanese cagers with a surname of "Taniguchi", "Abe" and the man-mountain "Numata". Red China did not compete sa Asian Games because of the country's close door policy but when they did opened it up, many were stunned by their height (nuon yun) and raw talent. I remember when they visited the Philippines during the 70's, parang ang babait nila. Imagine, kapag nabangga nila players natin, they halt play and tried to help yung players nating bumagsak (diplomacy then). But now its different na.

I also remember MICAA (Manila Industrial-Commercial Athletic Association), the most dominant sa local tournaments.

Yco - Freddie Webb, Botchok delos Santos, Canent, Reyes, Tolentino

Yutivo - Melencio

Mariwasa - Sullano, Robinson, Rojas

Meralco - Presley, Arnaiz, Jaworski, Reynoso, Marquez, Mariano

San Miguel - Miego, Castello, Cuevas, Paner, Regullano, (forgot the long tom artist nila nun)

Squibb - Pribhdas, Otazu