Back To The 70's

"MASH" was mentioned and discussed in the sister thread, 36&Up. Hawkeye, Trapper John, Radar, etc. Thing is, MASH was never really big in our lovely PI. Unfortunately. I think it was because many Filipinos couldn't understand the humor. Perhaps the networks executives themselves couldn't.

I think it is the type of humor which was morbid and anti-war that the Filipinos did not understand. When I saw it first time on TV when I was in Grade school, I couldn't understand why there is a laughing backround while two doctors where operating in the middle of a tent hospital. Only when the Vietnam movies in the 80s followed like Rambo and I read about the Anti-War movement in the US did I understand the humor behind MASH.

Ang haba na ng thread na ito, but has anyone mentioned MASH?

Comedy Vietnam war series associated the popular song Suicide Is Painless.

Suicide is painless

It brings so many changes

But I can take or leave it

If I will

<_<

"MASH" was mentioned and discussed in the sister thread, 36&Up. Hawkeye, Trapper John, Radar, etc. Thing is, MASH was never really big in our lovely PI. Unfortunately. I think it was because many Filipinos couldn't understand the humor. Perhaps the networks executives themselves couldn't.

I think the setting was North Korea, not Vietnam.

Korek ba ko? :P

I think MASH the TV series was quite a hit here too because the series ran for a long time here. Most of the guys in the movie except for Trapper John were not in the series. Alan Alda cut his chops in the series. Siya ang nagdala ng show.

Yes the setting was the KoreaN war.

I thought MCS was raided by those two Labradors (with a bounty on their head) just this Monday? I was there yesterday and madami pa ding tinda. :D Finally got hold of FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH - time to feast again on the naked charms of Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Jason Leigh, who by the way is the daughter of Vic Morrow.

I remember UFO, but I can't recall the names of the actors. I remember that it was a British series. I also remember that car, the doors of which opened upward.

Other popular British series during the 70s were Randall and Hopkirk, The Persuaders, The Saint, The Avengers, and Dr. Who. There were a lot more, but these are the ones I remember offhand.

Is this the one where some wierd humanoids or something, wearing enclosed helmets gets filled with dark fluid?

Yup, whenever they captured a human they would force him to wear the helmet then fill it with the

fluid to convert him to their kind.

The humans had 'interceptors' to fight the alien flying saucers. The interceptor had a single missile attached to its nose.

At the time i was thinking what if you missed? :blink:

Other popular British series during the 70s were Randall and Hopkirk, The Persuaders, The Saint, The Avengers, and Dr. Who. There were a lot more, but these are the ones I remember offhand.

my fave was the "Jason King" series

i also enjoyed...

the persuaders

department s - this i think waas the basis for the x-files series

the champions

man in a suitcase

americans have...

wanted dead or alive

alias smith & jones

the immortal

rat patrol - which i am watching now

I remember UFO, but I can't recall the names of the actors. I remember that it was a British series. I also remember that car, the doors of which opened upward.

I was a big fan of the Avengers and the Saint (Roger Moore). :cool:

Hagibis had Sonny Parsons as front man

...but the loud voice of Hanopol in their soundtracks is as clear as they can get. :cool:

And while ILAGAY MO KID was composed by MH, the lyrics of ILAGAY MO KID were penned by...Joey de Leon.

IMHO, no boy band/group today can still match the versatility, sound and magnetism of Hagibis. They were

packaged in the right place and at the right time by the right people :cool:

post-22965-1177648221.jpg

Edited by Mandrake

Ed Bishop was the lead actor. You know what year it was supposed to be in? 1981! Ha! Napaka futuristic, panahon ng Bee Gees, Chic at Donna Summer!

Mike Hanopol is the 1/3 of Juan Dela Cruz Band, the others being Joey "pepe" Smith and Wally Gonzales

Hagibis had Sonny Parsons as front man

Yes I know that but sorry partner (as pareng mandrake attested), the "voice" or lead vocals of the recorded album was really manong Mike's. Mike Hanopol mismo said "ako lahat iyon" when I asked him if he really was the voice behind Hagibis. Obvious naman even when I first heard it. I also knew the sisters of Mike Respal (a Hagibis member) when I was in UP. The younger of the sisters even played the role of Kim in later productions of Miss Saigon.

During those days of the disco and Manila sound and because there were no MTV yet, a lot of singers rendered vocals for other groups or recorded songs using a different name.

Vic Sotto was the lead vocalist of VST & Co. and Blue Jeans who had a tagalog hit song Paniwalaan Mo. The members of VST & Co was also the members of Blockbuster. Helen Gamboa was Bonnie Chanel. VST stands for Vicente Sotto III who is now running again for senator.

...but the loud voice of Hanopol in their soundtracks is as clear as they can get. :cool:

And while ILAGAY MO KID was composed by MH, the lyrics of ILAGAY MO KID were penned by...Joey de Leon.

IMHO, no boy band/group today can still match the versatility, sound and magnetism of Hagibis. They were

packaged in the right place and at the right time by the right people :cool:

Hagibis was the local Village People. Hot Dog started the Manila Sound with Pers lab and Ikaw ang Miss Universe ng Buhay Ko. Wadab, Boyfriends and VST & Co were the local Beegees. :cool:

Joey de Leon also wrote a lot of lyrics for VST & Co. Tito, Vic and Joey contributed a lot in the growth of OPM.

Yes I know that but sorry partner (as pareng mandrake attested), the "voice" or lead vocals of the recorded album was really manong Mike's. Mike Hanopol mismo said "ako lahat iyon" when I asked him if he really was the voice behind Hagibis. Obvious naman even when I first heard it. I also knew the sisters of Mike Respal (a Hagibis member) when I was in UP. The younger of the sisters even played the role of Kim in later productions of Miss Saigon.

During those days of the disco and Manila sound and because there were no MTV yet, a lot of singers rendered vocals for other groups or recorded songs using a different name.

Vic Sotto was the lead vocalist of VST & Co. and Blue Jeans who had a tagalog hit song Paniwalaan Mo. The members of VST & Co was also the members of Blockbuster. Helen Gamboa was Bonnie Chanel. VST stands for Vicente Sotto III who is now running again for senator.

Hagibis was the local Village People. Hot Dog started the Manila Sound with Pers lab and Ikaw ang Miss Universe ng Buhay Ko. Wadab, Boyfriends and VST & Co were the local Beegees. :cool:

Joey de Leon also wrote a lot of lyrics for VST & Co. Tito, Vic and Joey contributed a lot in the growth of OPM.

Pards, I enjoyed listening to WADAB. :cool: You just gave me an idea of what song to listen to once I get home tonight.

The VST & Co. hit "Ipagpatawad Mo" was obviously sung by Vic Sotto and was a Vic Sotto and Joey De Leon composition. It ranks as one of my all-time favorite Pinoy love songs.

I fully agree with your statement na TV&J contributed a lot to OPM music. I believe Joey De Leon penned the song "O, Lumapit Ka" made popular by Ella del Rosario. :)

The VST & Co. hit "Ipagpatawad Mo" was obviously sung by Vic Sotto and was a Vic Sotto and Joey De Leon composition.

I fully agree with your statement na TV&J contributed a lot to OPM music. I believe Joey De Leon penned the song "O, Lumapit Ka" made popular by Ella del Rosario. :)

He did? Grabe si JdL ba sumulat nun?

Joey de leon is really an intellectual in a way, kino-comedy lang niya lahat.

I remember he was also a dj sa dwww ba yun? kasama niya sila Inday Badiday, Ben David, Manolo Favis, etc.

His handle was Joey the Lion. He was also considered then the Cliff Richard of the Philippines. But Joey didn't like that idea kaya he called himself sa radio "Joey the Lion of the Philippines".

Usong-uso kasi dati yung mga "...of the Philippines" title and JdL was so much against it.

He also wrote for Jingle magazine, calling his column "Joeysims". Puro jokes. He also paints.

Though personally I like JdL's comedy more pag spontaneous. Kung scripted na like in movies, hindi na effective.

His style of comedy is in punning.

Val Sotto also did some comedy guestings in Iskul Bukol with T,V & J aka Escalera Bros. Even long before that bros. Val & Tito belonged to the band TILTDOWN MEN which pop band was touted as the Dave Clark 5 of the Phils.

These gents really have come a long way... :cool:

Edited by Mandrake