Back To The 70's

Danny Florencio ang tinaguriang hari sa ilalim :thumbsupsmiley:

==================================================

The twister sa ilalim ng goal. A pride of UST. Ano na kaya itsura niya ngayon? :upside: He was supposed to play sa reunion ng Toyota/Crispa kaya lang di pinayagan ng employer sa US. There's one na mahilig din sa ilalim, si Morales ng Royal Tru Orange. Magulong maglaro :lol:

Let's not forget Freddie Hubalde. During his MVP season (1977), he was unstoppable inside. Really unstoppable.

As for Carvajal, I believe he suffered an accident that left him in a coma. He hit his head on the board. At the time he was the tallest player in the country. I believe he played for Crispa.

==================================================

The twister sa ilalim ng goal. A pride of UST. Ano na kaya itsura niya ngayon? :upside: He was supposed to play sa reunion ng Toyota/Crispa kaya lang di pinayagan ng employer sa US. There's one na mahilig din sa ilalim, si Morales ng Royal Tru Orange. Magulong maglaro :lol:

You're riight about Morales- parang kiti-kiti ang style but effective under the basket esp. when he has Paner (isa pang kilabot sa ilalim) in tandem. But when Estoy Estrada grabs the leather, expect the "buwaya" to do the long-tom. :upside:

Sa NC, I can cite Rolly "LastikMan" Marcelo who was also deadly under the goal. Kahit sino pa mga nakapayong sa ilalim, it's amazing how he bends his body to ward off his guards underneath and get the ball in the basket. :rolleyes:

For me the best sa ilalim was Philip Cezar. The fastest naman noong Micaa days was Freddie Webb. Magaling sa steals, interception, layups and assist. Magaling din sa loob si Rudy Soriano. Ang mala-Barkley noon ay si Jimmy "Iron Man" Noblezada.

Dading was 60s pa pero yung Yoling either 1970-71. 1 month na walang pasok dahil sa blackout.

Let's not forget Freddie Hubalde. During his MVP season (1977), he was unstoppable inside. Really unstoppable.

As for Carvajal, I believe he suffered an accident that left him in a coma. He hit his head on the board. At the time he was the tallest player in the country. I believe he played for Crispa.

=============================================================

Hubalde is really unstoppable (hindi nga lang buwaya kundi marami pa sanang MVP awards nakuha niya and kung hindi star studded ang Crispa nuon) especially those bank shots (traces of the old Lucindo of Meralco then Mariwasa)

Before Carvajal, the tallest was "Big Ben". This monster of a Pinoy was 7'2" in height pero mabagal and a slow learner. Elizalde of Yco got interested in him and trained him for his team. he played in exhibition matches but was cut kasi nga, di talaga puwede. He went on appearing in movies and died in the 70s. Was buried at Manila North Cemetery.

Iba iba ang lumabas na dahilan sa cause of death ni Carvajal. There are reports then that he hit his head while running towards the dugout sa Rizal Coliseum after a rumble. Alam naman natin ang baba ng player exit/entrance sa Rizal Coliseum. Dont know whats the latest about the man.

rainy season- dati ok ang baha, nakikita mo ang tinatapakan mo- hindi kulay itim tubig kanal. may isda (gurami) pa na lumalangoy sa tubig baha. alala ko may naligaw na pagong pa nahuli namin.

typhoon Yoling and Dading ba un?

================================================

Naglalaro pa kami sa baha nuon pero ngayon may disease na galing sa urine ng mouse that causes death kaagad. Hay naku, iba talagang ang 70s back! I do recall nga na kapag umulan nuon sa amin sa Dapitan near Albert Elementary School, ang ingay ng mga "kokak" ng palaka. Now dengue na ang result ng ulan. Also, nuong 70s H-fever ang scary thing, same sa dengue ngayon.

If im not mistaken, magkasama sina Rene CanenT n Philip Cezar dati sa JRC in the glory years of the NCAA. :headsetsmiley:

======================================================

Correct me if am wrong. Mas nauna ata ng kaunti si rene canent kay philip cezar. Teammates of Philip then sa JRC were Carvajal and his brother David. Survivor si Philip. Canent played with Yco and Philip went to Crispa, then to Shell, after which to Ginebra.

================================================

Naglalaro pa kami sa baha nuon pero ngayon may disease na galing sa urine ng mouse that causes death kaagad. Hay naku, iba talagang ang 70s back! I do recall nga na kapag umulan nuon sa amin sa Dapitan near Albert Elementary School, ang ingay ng mga "kokak" ng palaka. Now dengue na ang result ng ulan. Also, nuong 70s H-fever ang scary thing, same sa dengue ngayon.

may palakang kokak na kumakain ng kitikiti /lamok. sarap manghuli ng tadpoles/butete. meron pa non fireflies /kulisap at tutubi at makahiya plant sa tabi-tabi. i dunno if those younger generation know what a makahiya plant is.... :upside:

Edited by tabouki
may palakang kokak na kumakain ng kitikiti /lamok. sarap manghuli ng tadpoles/butete. meron pa non fireflies /kulisap at tutubi at makahiya plant sa tabi-tabi. i dunno if those younger generation know what a makahiya plant is.... :upside:

Meron pa rin niyan sa lugar namin ngayon.

Balik sa Basketball

Magaling ang teamwork nina Canent and Webb together with Cleofas, Elias Tolentino

I was for Yco in the MICAA then Crispa in the PBA.

From Wikipedia:

Crispa’s beginnings are rooted in the old Manila Industrial and Commercial Athletic Association (MICAA). In 1971, a Crispa team composed of Reynaldo Alcantara, Rudolph Kutch, Ernesto de Leon, Rodolfo Soriano, Danilo Florencio, Johnny Revilla, Adriano Papa, Jr., William "Bogs" Adornado, Virgilio Abarrientos, Danilo Pecache, Domingo Celis, Jr. and Rey Franco played and lost to Meralco in the MICAA championships. This Crispa team was the precursor of the professional basketball team that will dominate the PBA.

In 1973, authorities discovered that six of the team’s players had conspired with gamblers to drop a championship series against underdog Mariwasa. These six players, including four of the five starters (only Bogs Adornado was found innocent among the starting five), were served lifetime suspensions. With their line-up depleted, manager Valeriano “Danny” Floro and coach Virgilio “Baby” Dalupan were forced to rebuild. They opted to go with younger player by bringing in Mapúa Institute of Technology hotshot Fortunato “Atoy” Co, Jr. and Colegio de San Jose Recoletos standout Abet Guidaben in 1973, and Jose Rizal College’s Philip Cezar and RP Youth Team players Bernie Fabiosa and Alfredo "Freddie" Hubalde in 1974.

For me the best sa ilalim was Philip Cezar. The fastest naman noong Micaa days was Freddie Webb. Magaling sa steals, interception, layups and assist. Magaling din sa loob si Rudy Soriano. Ang mala-Barkley noon ay si Jimmy "Iron Man" Noblezada.

Dading was 60s pa pero yung Yoling either 1970-71. 1 month na walang pasok dahil sa blackout.

===========================================================

I remember din that Panorama magazine ran an article about pitting the two...yoyong martirez and freddie webb on a 100-meter dash sa Rizal Memorial Track....and the winner was....(nakalimutan ko na huhuhu). Sayang talaga sa tons of clippings ko ng MICAA players of the 70s. Compiled pa naman sa notebook. Well, nasunog sila last 1997 together ng bahay namin sa sampaloc.

===========================================================

I remember din that Panorama magazine ran an article about pitting the two...yoyong martirez and freddie webb on a 100-meter dash sa Rizal Memorial Track....and the winner was....(nakalimutan ko na huhuhu). Sayang talaga sa tons of clippings ko ng MICAA players of the 70s. Compiled pa naman sa notebook. Well, nasunog sila last 1997 together ng bahay namin sa sampaloc.

Sorry for you pre. Ako naman I lost my 1st 50 issues of X-Men sa baha sa Malabon plus some of my father's and his friends' artworks.

Webb won!!!

Sorry for you pre. Ako naman I lost my 1st 50 issues of X-Men sa baha sa Malabon plus some of my father's and his friends' artworks.

Webb won!!!

==========================================================

nanalo pala si Webb nuon. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Kinda wondering who won talaga nuon :thumbsupsmiley:

By the way, yesterday I went to Malabon, the birthplace of the Roldans, super baha, parang Manila Bay na na reclaimed. During the 70s ba, talagang bahain na yun? Cant recall kasi nuon bata pa ako na pinapasyal ako duon ng aking late dad. I remember lang nuon na nangingisda kami sa "Fish Fun" but cant recall na rin kung saan yun dun sa Malabon.

Meron pa rin niyan sa lugar namin ngayon.

Balik sa Basketball

Magaling ang teamwork nina Canent and Webb together with Cleofas, Elias Tolentino

I was for Yco in the MICAA then Crispa in the PBA.

From Wikipedia:

Crispa’s beginnings are rooted in the old Manila Industrial and Commercial Athletic Association (MICAA). In 1971, a Crispa team composed of Reynaldo Alcantara, Rudolph Kutch, Ernesto de Leon, Rodolfo Soriano, Danilo Florencio, Johnny Revilla, Adriano Papa, Jr., William "Bogs" Adornado, Virgilio Abarrientos, Danilo Pecache, Domingo Celis, Jr. and Rey Franco played and lost to Meralco in the MICAA championships. This Crispa team was the precursor of the professional basketball team that will dominate the PBA.

In 1973, authorities discovered that six of the team’s players had conspired with gamblers to drop a championship series against underdog Mariwasa. These six players, including four of the five starters (only Bogs Adornado was found innocent among the starting five), were served lifetime suspensions. With their line-up depleted, manager Valeriano “Danny” Floro and coach Virgilio “Baby” Dalupan were forced to rebuild. They opted to go with younger player by bringing in Mapúa Institute of Technology hotshot Fortunato “Atoy” Co, Jr. and Colegio de San Jose Recoletos standout Abet Guidaben in 1973, and Jose Rizal College’s Philip Cezar and RP Youth Team players Bernie Fabiosa and Alfredo "Freddie" Hubalde in 1974.

===============================================

Am for Meralco naman nuon. Actually di ko na napanood yung Yco/Ysmael nuon. Late na ako nagkahilig sa basketball. I just remember idolizing Meralco kasi I like the way Mariano, Marquez, Bauzon, Lucindo plays. Bangko pa sina Arnaiz nuon. Meron pa nga silang Ross but di kok na nakitang naglaro. Natatandaan ko pa yung import nilang si Presley (patay na daw), one of the tallest nuon at 6'11" blocking every penetration of Tom Cowart of Crispa. Meralco won that championship game nuon.

==========================================================

nanalo pala si Webb nuon. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Kinda wondering who won talaga nuon :thumbsupsmiley:

By the way, yesterday I went to Malabon, the birthplace of the Roldans, super baha, parang Manila Bay na na reclaimed. During the 70s ba, talagang bahain na yun? Cant recall kasi nuon bata pa ako na pinapasyal ako duon ng aking late dad. I remember lang nuon na nangingisda kami sa "Fish Fun" but cant recall na rin kung saan yun dun sa Malabon.

Fish fun is now called Pescadores. It's in Letre between Sangandaan and Tonsuya.

I sat next to Eugene Torre (together with Bong Coo & Alvin Patrimonio) at an event in Malacanang a few years back and was impressed with his humility and intelligence, but this is no rags to riches story, laking mayaman o at least may kaya itong si Eugene, he had class and breeding, remarkable considering he still manage to harness all this talent to rise up in his sport.

He told me stories about his friendship with Bobby Fischer, very funny and very interesting, about the greatest chess player that ever lived, and his love affair with the Philippines, having spent months (years) here incognito.

I also heard stories from the famous Diaz sisters (Gloria, Rio etc) about Bobby Fischer, who lived in their family compound...

They told me he almost never bathed (remember these were the "hippie" days) and he would wear the same pair of jeans day in and day out...

An Icon of Philippine 70's history has passed on, Geronimo "Ronnie" Velasco passed away from an apparent cardiac arrest in San Francisco, California this past week...

Ronnie Velasco, as many of you will remember was Energy Minister under Apo Lakay's reign back in the 70's - 80's...

Responsible for the Westinghouse Bataan Nuclear Power Plant (a misunderstood, ahead of it's time, albeit corruption-ridden project)... Velasco was the nation's energy czar... if his Power Plant pushed through, (amidst different terms of course) the Philippines would certainly have steered in a very different path today..

as with many projects of the Marcos regime, excesses and corruption far outshone the benefits and long term viability of these projects...

Edited by ElRey
Nice going elrey.

Torre studied in Mapua I supposed. Sayang si Fischer. He wasn't able to defend his title.

I also remember Mr Enercon. I think he was the model of Asyong Aksaya by the great cartoonist, Larry Alcala.

=============================================================

Sayang nga si Fischer. Weird kasi dahil sa sobrang genius.

I also liked the cartoon Asyong Aksaya. Ang galing! Ngayon, daming Asyong Aksaya! Pati yung commercial ng Metro Manila Aide - I think its Adeng ata name niya at si Aling Otik

By the way, nasaan na kaya si 'Wonder Boy"? Yung "future teller" na may bip sound pa kapag may iniisip siya. I remember din he was the one who advised Apo for Bongbong not to ride on a place that later crashed. Dami pang "hula" nya na nagkatotoo including yung last hula niya before he was booted out of malacanan na ang susunod na presidente will be a woman. Nagalit and na disappoint si madam.