Back To The 70's

I guess the common reason a lot of us spent so many years at UP was that, well, we never wanted to leave.  Those were really such good times.  In other schools, they wanted to graduate in three years instead of four.  For us at UP, we wanted to stay for six instead or four, or seven instead of five.  I don't quite know how it is these days.

Ganoon pa rin. Dalaw ka ulit sa Isko thread. Halos lahat ng poster dun ay hindi natapos on time. :D

I was not much of a disco-DUCK then.  It was just the last stop we had afyer coming from those utterly-pretetious debuts...at sino ba ang hindi nakaka-baba sa famous stairs ng where else? :-)

Naabutan ko pa si Loren in IMC.  She was THAT popular then..Noon pa lang you know she would go places.

Backgammon was our favorite board game..the Tong-its came much later. :-)

Lahat ng kainan na iyan alam ko.  I specially like the Lechon kawali rice in Kampo.  I even remember MOther's having a DISCO then? right.

I am pretty sure we have common friends in our circle.  If you were a tambay in the Lobby, AS steps, or PL on your first two years in UP we must've bumped into each other then.

We used to practice the swing at Mother's Womb Disco in the afternoon or early evening before we go to Wherelse.

We even danced the swing at the AS Parking lot. We parked our cars on the west side katabi ng Upsilon's parking area.

Ang pinakamagandang hayop sa balat ng lupa (with Gloria Diaz & Elizabeth Oropesa)

Ganito kami noon, paano kayo ngayon (sino nga ba starring dito?)

Maynila sa kuko ng liwanag (with a Bembol Roco who still had hair)

Ang pagbabalik ng lawin (with FPJ and Tina Revilla)

Ang buyada ay misteryosa (with Chanda Romero)

Sa pagitan ng dalawang langit (with Maureen Ava Viera)

Tinimbang ka ngunit kulang (with Cristopher de Leon)

John en Marsha sa Amerika (with Dolphy and the rest of the cast)

Fefita Fofonggay (with Dolphy)

But if you really want a definitive film of the 70s, don't go Pinoy. Watch "Jesus Christ Superstar" (directed by Norman Jewison).l It has the 70s all over it.

Edited by jt2003

Yo Storm!

I still have the Commodores CD which I burned for you. How do I give it to you? I was originaly planning to hand it over at an EB but wala namang matuloy na EB.

Bods and I will be meeting around Sept. 9. Care to join? Wala pang venue but sigurado na we will be having a small EB.

Cheers!

Dekada 70?

John & Marsha

Bato sa Buhangin

Kung Mangarap ka at Magising

Insiang

Yo Storm!

I still have the Commodores CD which I burned for you. How do I give it to you? I was originaly planning to hand it over at an EB but wala namang matuloy na EB.

Bods and I will be meeting around Sept. 9. Care to join? Wala pang venue but sigurado na we will be having a small EB.

Cheers!

haha so you're announcing it na!

I hope sbm is also here so he can attend...

It's gonna be a Blues Music night, with some wine and some winos thrown in :P

JCS is so definitive a 70's landmark film - go see it by all means...

you can also throw in Hair and Godspell....syempre SNF and Grease too kung musicals paguusapan...

sa drama ONe Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest still makes the 70's memorable for me...

so with Dog Day Afternoon and Deliverance and Midnight Cowboy :thumbsupsmiley:

YOu know I was just watcing JCS last week. Got my copy in a Galleria shop and it was sonething else hearing those old songs again. Ted Neely can really wail and so can the Judas actor.

The songs and the soundtrack are one of a kind!

"It's seems to me a strange thing... Mystifying!

That a man like you can waste his time on women of her kind.

Yes I can understand that.. She amuses....

But to let her touch you and stroke your hair is hardly in your line" (Forgot the rest)

Hehehe. Judas certainly had a way with words! :D

Pare, tuloy tayo with the Blues and Wine night! I am in! :D

haha so you're announcing it na!

I hope sbm is also here so he can attend...

It's gonna be a Blues Music night, with some wine and some winos thrown in :P

JCS is so definitive a 70's landmark film - go see it by all means...

you can also throw in Hair and Godspell....syempre SNF and Grease too kung musicals paguusapan...

sa drama ONe Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest still makes the 70's memorable for me...

so with Dog Day Afternoon and Deliverance and Midnight Cowboy :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by 16track
Yo Storm!

Cheers!

Sige mga pare ko. I'm in. Para makita ko naman ang mga katropa! :cool:

Actually natuloy yung Teriyaki Boy EB ng 36+. Hindi kayo nakapunta. Sana makasama natin si Ms. Augustmoon at si JT.

@JT

JCS rocks pare! "Try not to get worried... everything seems alright... close your eyes and relax...."

Bigla ko tuloy naalala si Nora Aunor :lol:

@ Bods

I was watching kanina yung CABARET. Ang galing talaga!

"Money makes the world go round, the world go round..."

I'll compare it with CHICAGO which I'll watch again tonight.

YOu know I was just watcing JCS last week. Got my copy in a Galleria shop and it was sonething else hearing those old songs again. Ted Neely can really wail and so can the Judas actor.

The songs and the soundtrack are one of a kind!

"It's seems to me a strange thing... Mystifying!

That  a man like you can waste his time on women of her kind.

Yes I can understand that.. She amuses....

But to let her touch you and stroke your hair is hardly in your line" (Forgot the rest)

Hehehe. Judas certainly had a way with words! :D

Pare, tuloy tayo with the Blues and Wine night! I am in! :D

I usually watch JCS during the Holy Week :P

I think Judas was played by Carl Anderson in that film and boy he really gave the film a great dramatic presence and a musical center!

Whatever happened to Yvonne Elliman?

I've gotten in touch with sbm - he's just back from BKK and he told me to go ahead with the plans for the Blues EB and he would come if his schedule permits...

Sige mga pare ko. I'm in. Para makita ko naman ang mga katropa!  :cool:

Actually natuloy yung Teriyaki Boy EB ng 36+. Hindi kayo nakapunta. Sana makasama natin si Ms. Augustmoon at si JT.

@JT

JCS rocks pare! "Try not to get worried... everything seems alright... close your eyes and relax...."

@ Bods

well you know pare, takot kasi ako sa babae kaya hindi ako sumipot dun sa Teriyake Kid eh :lol:

But augustmoon is always welcome, being a fellow alum....

Cabaret with Liza Minnelli? One of the great films of the 70's! I didn't get to see CHICAGO kaya I won't know how to compare it with CAbaret.

Speaking of Chicago, would anybody remember the great 25 or 6 to 4? With that great guitar lead by the late Terry Kath? :P

Pare: Present ako sa Roll call na yan! heheh! :boo:

That Chicago song removed all my previous impressions on the band. The first song I heard from them was Happy Man and it did not really shake me up although Color my World was something I tried to play early on as every guitar player goes through that one as a rite of passage.

When I heard 25 or 6 to 4 -- with that descending intro played by an overdriven guitar against a backdrop of a horn section blasting away in RnB mode, the effect was overwhelming. One can not help but listen to it. The entry of Peter Cetera's vocals is well defined and timed--and delivered as only Cetera can--with equal force as the guitar and horn introduction. Nothing was lost!

The vocals then take on a call and answer figure for most of the verses with the horn section coming up with some very tasty fills in response to the Cetera barrage. This goes on until the break when the guitar comes online again and blows away the field with a scorching run on the solo.

The song is a true classic in terms of arrangement as there are no empty or wasted spaces here. Every note was properly selected and played in its proper place! The song goes from zero to 60 in 5 seconds and never stops the pace until the finish.

Whew! Wish I could write a song a like that!

Speaking of Chicago, would anybody remember the great 25 or 6 to 4? With that great guitar lead by the late Terry Kath?  :P

Pare:  Present ako sa Roll call na yan! heheh! :boo:

That Chicago song removed all my previous impressions on the band. The first song I heard from them was Happy Man and it did not really shake me up although Color my World was something I tried to play early on as every guitar player goes through that one as a rite of passage.

When I heard 25 or 6 to 4 -- with that descending intro played by an overdriven guitar against a backdrop of a horn section blasting away in RnB mode, the effect was overwhelming. One can not help but listen to it. The entry of Peter Cetera's vocals is well defined and timed--and delivered as only Cetera can--with equal force as the guitar and horn introduction. Nothing was lost!

The vocals then take on a call and answer figure for most of the verses with the horn section coming up with some very tasty fills in response to the Cetera barrage. This goes on until the break when the guitar comes online again and blows away the field with a scorching run on the solo.

The song is a true classic in terms of arrangement as there are no empty or wasted spaces here. Every note was properly selected and played in its proper place! The song goes from zero to 60 in 5 seconds and never stops the pace until the finish.

Whew! Wish I could write a song a like that!

wow pare! ako naman I wish I can describe a song the same way you do hehehe...grabe. your description adds to a better appreciation of a song.

have you also heard I'M A MAN, from their first album way back 1969 when they were still known as Chicago Transit Authority? pare this is also a 7-minute song which sounds very different from all the songs they're known for - they sound like a true-blue late-60's rock band. The song has a very long and very delicious drum solo towards the end.

I love Happy Man - this is one of their songs I never tire of listening. Well maybe because this was the song I tried to dance the "sweet" with with a beautiful young thing in a soiree with an all-girl's school way back third year high school around 197_, hehehehe.....

And for the first time in my life

I know what it's like to be

A happy man...

Ooh happy man.....

That reminds me. Wala pala akong Chicago CD. :(

pare if you would buy one, buy two - they got a greatest hits collection Vol 1 and Vol. 2.

All the greats are there - 25 or 6 to 4 dun yata sa Vol.1. yung Happy Man and I'm a Man dun sa Vol. 2

Edited by bods1000
Sige mga pare ko. I'm in. Para makita ko naman ang mga katropa!  :cool:

@JT

@ Bods

If my schedule allows. I will join. Basta not more than 7 km radius from my homebase Pasig City. :)

Just advice what the Potluck/damage would be.

Thanks for the invite Storm. I bet the 70's blues ambient music will not be scratchy (like vinyl), thanks to CD's.

If my schedule allows.  I will join.  Basta not more than 7 km radius from my homebase Pasig City.  :)

Just advice what the Potluck/damage would be.

Thanks for the invite Storm.  I bet the 70's blues ambient music will not be scratchy (like vinyl), thanks to CD's.

...but they don't sound as "warm" as vinyl :P Well, it could just be me, but I find that music coming from a vinyl record is truer to the original source than a digitally-laid down track from a CD. In excellent imported and "virgin" vinyl, the pounding of the drums really sounds like you're sitting next to someone hitting the skins of a drum kit; the treble fills are "just there" - unobtrusive but tickling your ears....Some music formats are more suited to CD's - classical and jazz, for example - they really should sound surgically clean, while rock and blues, which should sound raunchier and raw, comes across as thin and uninspired on a CD.

If you grew up in Pasig and still lives there and went to UP and we're about the same age - do I know you? :lol: Very long shot - perhaps you remember Colegio del Buen Consejo - it was a third year tradition for us to cross over the street to CBC and there to have a "nervous" (coming from an all-boys' school) soiree with the girls of that school.....

I do hope the get-together will push through - kahit simple lang....damage should be slight but the camaraderie should be huge...

Hi Bods.

My fondest memory of vinyl is the shwoooozing sound as the needle hits the vinyl na may dead air bago mag intro ng song.....pag parties, prayer time na iyan ng mga girls....hoping they would be picked up to dance with...he!he!

I now live in Pasig by virtue of marriage. I was born and bred in QC...I have just transplanted myself to Pasig in 1994.

I have no doubt that the fellowship and camaraderie will be worth joining the group EB for. I just hope, wala masyadong "senior moments"...but from the looks of it....no one in the forum is close to senility :D ...what with the constant menatl exercise of re-living the glory days.

Ituloy na yan EB. :)

My fondest memory of vinyl is the shwoooozing sound as the needle hits the vinyl na may dead air bago mag intro ng song.....pag parties, prayer time na iyan ng mga girls....hoping they would be picked up to dance with...he!he!

The boys also had "prayer time." Huwag sana tanggihan ng babae.

The young folks would really laugh if they only knew how our parties were during those days. All the girls on one side, all the boys on the other. Once the music starts, all the boys rush to the waiting girls.

Edited by jt2003

Color My World was the first Chicago song that I distinctly remember. I don't remember liking it that much. I was just a kid at that time. The first Chicago song I really liked was If You Leave Me Now. Around first or second year high school. Songs are starting to have meaning. I still think it's one of the best love songs (if you can call it that) ever written. :blush:

The young folks would really laugh if they only knew how our parties were during those days.  All the girls on one side, all the boys on the other.  Once the music starts, all the boys rush to the waiting girls.

Yes, sir. The first few high school parties I attended in the late 70s were like that. Boys on one side, girls on the other. One song at a time. You have only a few minutes to get the girl's number. You never know if you'd ever get another chance. Di pa gaanong uso ang "bakuran". Puro kantsyaw sa mga kaibigan kapag nambakod ka!

Pag dating nang "sweet", unahan na ulit. The chance to feel the girl's backside. Maybe feel her thighs rubbing against yours. If you're lucky, she'd let you put her hands around your waist instead of your shoulders which prevent you from holding her more closely. Now, you can feel her hair on your face! The moment most waited for. The main event you and your friends came for! Such a simple pleasure is enough to make us happy. Ecstatic even. Bragging rights. Something to tell your friends for days to come.

Such were my days of innocence...

Edited by Magaling

Kaya those days lamang ang magaling magsayaw.

Okay lang din kahit sa shoulders ang hands ng girl kung sweet as long as hindi nakatukod ang elbows niya against you. kapag nakatukod, hindi ka niya type. The best yung cheek to cheek kayo tapos nakayakap pa. Wow, ang bango.

Usong perfume noon sa girls ay YSL Rive Gauche (blue), Tatiana, Miss Dior or Diorella, Ralph Lauren, Chanel no. 5, Alliage by Estee Lauder

Sa atin naman ay Dior Eau Sauvage, POLO, Paco Rabanne, Grey Flannel, Halston Z-14

Do you guys remember the parties where EVERYBody seems to smell like JOVAN musk Oil....and then came JOVAN grass oil ????? For us, then teenyboppers...it was CHARLIE and SWEET HONESTY...

Another funny thing was that pag time to eat na....meaning lights ON...guys would rush to the table and EAT first, while the girls, with faces DOWN rush to the nearest room/CR for a touch up....!!!!

And for the girls...open secret na that we ONLY wear Bra PADS pag may parties... I sure wish there were WONDER BRA's then na... we were left to our own creativity by using tissue paper or even stockings to "vulcanize" our chests...though you boys also had your own gimmick..I heard of a story about a young boy putting BATTERIES in his front for an illusion of a hard-on to scare us dim-witted virgins...could be an urban legend...but it did gave us the creeps....

And the usual conversation during sweet dances were really somethinh.... I remember a young man from Ateneo asking me what my favorite subject was (BIOLOGY then) then continued to enumerate the whole Animal Kingdom...Phylum...Family...Order ....Genus and Species!!!!! ....well, at least he put that to good use as he is now one of the best young surgeons...well there were irreverent topics too... and true to form, they were from boys now men... who after 25 ++ years are still irreverent :D

What if......mag-party ulit kaya at this day and age...with the same music and the same cast of characters...ha! ha! ha! Iamgine men with distended waistlines dancing the 12 steps... to the tune of funky town...priceless... :boo: