Back To The 70's

I remember listening to RT in the 90s in college. New wave was a dying genre and glamour rock was the genre I was listening to. Warrant, Skid Row, Heart, Aerosmith were some of the rock bands I listened to on RT. What station was KISS-FM? I remember it but I forgot what station exactly?

Sorry for the OT - I guess the topic we're talking about now is a spillover of what the 70's gave to us...

101.1, now owned by the FJE Group and where YES-FM is. Personally, I think KISS-FM may be the best pop station ever formed after RT, just that they were more creative and changed the dynamics of Philippine FM radio. Too bad their weak 5k signal didn't help them, but despite the limitation, they created a niche market in the elite level, which at that time, was dominated by RT.

You're correct about your recollection of the early 90's of RT when they had jocks like North Andrew, Joe Schmoe, Joshua, among others. They weren't ROTC already anymore back then (I think they were already Maximum Music) but the playlist was still founded on Billboard's Top 40. Glam rock was exceptionally doing well in the charts that time so that's not a surprise. Other early 90's hitmakers associated with RT included Natural Selection, Maxi Priest, Extreme, Damn Yankees, Wilson Phillips, Vonda Shephard, among others.

Red Hot's personalities included OB Hollywood Andrew, Johnny Cesar, Mighty Thor, Bob Magoo, among others.

• Like (+1) 1

No WXB 102? That was the "in" station in the mid-80s. Puro new wave. I remember always waiting for the song " If You Leave" when I listen to this station.

102 XB was the disco station in late 70s. It featured the music from Where Else on Saturday nights. Levi's was the major sponsor.

• Like (+1) 1

102 XB was the disco station in late 70s. It featured the music from Where Else on Saturday nights. Levi's was the major sponsor.

Tagline was Magic Disco 102, and yes, they played disco music all day long (6AM to 12NN). Some of the jocks I remember were The Friendly DJ, Lady Love, King George (later George Boone), and a host of others.

Even local disco tracks were given airtime. These included Passionata's "Disco Araw-Araw," Ella Del Rosario's "Mr. Disco," and of course, the classics from VST and Co.

I don't know if "Choo Choo Junction" in Greenhills opened in the 70s but the earliest recollection I have of this restaurant was around 1980 or 1981. I just started grade school. It is located where Mcdonalds is now. "Come to Choo Choo Junction, the great spaghetti station."

Yes, I also recall Choo Choo Junction in Greenhills. It was around 1980. I recall it being located at the site of where the Connecticut Carpark Arcade now stands.

No, McDonalds has always been at the same site ever since it opened in Greenhills way back when.

This is correct. McDonald's entered the PHL scene in 1981 with its first store located at Morayta. Their Greenhills store was the 4th McDonald's branch that opened in the country and it has always been situated right across the Greenhills Shopping Center and beside the open parking lot.

Greenlanes (the bowling center) was also there, beside Mr. Donut, where one of the best brewed coffees was made at least during that time. And prior to Sugi opening in the 90's, there was Kimpura.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would just like to correct the cartoons for GMA-7:

Monday-Mekanda

Tuesday-Daimos

Wednesday-Mazinger Z

Thursday-Grendaizer

Friday-Voltes V

I should know because I watched these for two years and it was a hard habit to break when it was stopped. I am pretty sure kids like me felt the same. Star Rangers was shown on BBC-2 if I am not mistaken.

I think Star Rangers was on RPN 9?

I think it was BBC-2.

Both of you are actually correct. Star Rangers started on RPN 9 every Saturdays at 5:30PM, and was later re-aired on BBC 2 in the early part of the 80's.

There was this Saturday afternoon super hero flick show (for girls) called Electra Woman and Dyna Girl that was shown around 2:30PM on BBC 2. It starred Deidre Hall as the blonde Electra Woman.

I remember another sci-fi cartoon show, Sealab 2020 was aired on BBC 2 or RPN 9 every Saturdays at 11:30AM. As a kid growing up in the 70's, the Saturday Fun Machine that featured cartoons from as early as 8AM to 12NN was one of the entertainment highlights. Shazam and Mightor (back to back with Moby Dick) were just some of the cartoon shows aired during that time zone.

Spin-A-Win was the viewing habit on Sunday noontime, even before German Moreno came out with Germside. I fondly remember the phrase, "agree or disagree" becoming very popular. And if you got a correct answer, people will reply, "SPIN-A-WIN!" :)

Yes, I posted a page back that "Electra Woman and Dyna Girl" was shown on BBC-2. Saturday Fun Machine started around 1982. "Super Friends" was my favorite cartoon show on SFM. I also remember Sealab 2020. Kasabay ata sila ng "Little Rascals" cartoons. I think "Spin-A-Win" was hosted by Subas Herrero. Correct me if I am wrong.

It was Jeanne Young. She became a household name with this show. Prior to this, she did co-hosting gigs for some TV programs and guested in "Discorama," "Student Canteen," that Ariel Ureta show (I forgot the title), among others.

Yup, loved Superfriends too. I think there were two editions - one that had the more complete list which featured Green Lantern, Flash, etc. and the other that had the atrocious "Wonder Twins" and their "wonder twin power, activate..." :). Obviously, I preferred the original one, especially since GL was my favorite superhero.

Tama, SFM was early 80's nga ata. Parang after that, yun noontime program ng RPN 9 was "Kwarta O Kahon" by the late Pepe Pimentel, although I'm not sure if the timeline is correct.

Here's Jeanne Young....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-T446yNPaEug/UCu3Gje7zmI/AAAAAAAAMlU/_G_6y0DAzRI/w1200-h630-p-nu/Jeanne+Young+(Expressweek,+Nov+15,+1979)_p1copy.jpg

Girls didn't shave their ehems.

Guys with their dos looked like dicks.

Most local films had FF's (flaming faggots) in tha cast.

Most cars over heat when the aircon was on.

Our car used eight track tapes.

Most bomba stars would look like longkatoots by today's standards.

Some leading men wouldn't even land a job as extras today.

Jokes were really corny. Mababaw pa ang kaligayahan dati.

If you have a position in govt and you didn't make money, tawag sa iyo tanga. But if you did enrich yourself, tawag sa iyo ma abilidad, hindi magnanakaw!

People were obsessed with everything imported, yung stateside! American cars were preferred over Japanese models.

After the oil crisis in 1972-74, the Japanese cars dominated the market. I used to drive a 1302 beetle but I was longing for an L-type colt

Daming magaganda noon like sina Hilda Koronel, Alma Moreno, Lorna Tolentino at Rio Locsin

Dina Bonnevie, Techie Agbayani, Chiqui Hollmann, Lotis Key, Aurora Salve, Chona Castillo, Beth Bautista, etc.

Gloria Diaz and Elizabeth Oropesa started the wet t-shirt look

Ang ganda rin nina Yvonne, Rosanna Ortiz plus si Chanda Romero pa.