Back To The 70's

I was passing by Araneta avenue the other day, when I was to reach SM Centerpoint, I suddenly remembered that was the place where Thomas Jefferson library was located. I used to be a card holder there where you could borrow any books you like and also vinyl LP records. There were also free jazz concerts that were held that featured artist like Lito Molina and Eddie K.

I used to hang around that place during those days... B)

I was passing by Araneta avenue the other day, when I was to reach SM Centerpoint, I suddenly remembered that was the place where Thomas Jefferson library was located. I used to be a card holder there where you could borrow any books you like and also vinyl LP records. There were also free jazz concerts that were held that featured artist like Lito Molina and Eddie K.

I used to hang around that place during those days... B)

Lito Molina used to write a music/jazz column in Business Day (now known as Business World).

Pards, the place that used to house the Jefferson Library, what is it now?

Lito Molina used to write a music/jazz column in Business Day (now known as Business World).

Pards, the place that used to house the Jefferson Library, what is it now?

(RIP) Lito Molina's son btw is the former husband of Rossana Roces.

Pards I'm not sure what building is that, and there's a vacant lot besides it where it used to be a large apartment complex before when TJL existed. I'm sure because I have some friends who live there before.

SM Centepoint used to be Sta. Mesa market, where there was a lot of hip shops, I forgot the names already. :goatee:

as quoted from MASON : SM Centepoint used to be Sta. Mesa market, where there was a lot of hip shops, I forgot the names already.

The HIP store in Sta Mesa Market for me (considering the age) in Sta. Mesa was the PANACRAFT Store that sold Crazy Foam; Barbie Dolls; mostly the latest (and expensive) Toys from the USA. Unlce Bob (Stewart) of the Lucky 7 Show promoted this store in his program.

The HIP store in Sta Mesa Market for me (considering the age) in Sta. Mesa was the PANACRAFT Store that sold Crazy Foam; Barbie Dolls; mostly the latest (and expensive) Toys from the USA. Unlce Bob (Stewart) of the Lucky 7 Show promoted this store in his program.

I haven't heard the word PANACRAFT in a long, long time. But I loved that crazy foam. We had a lot of fun at home shooting each other. But during those days, a lot of imported products weren't really that expensive, considering that the peso-dollar exchange rate during the 70s was about P4-$1. Of course, this was before the import ban. The expensive stuff were the really banned stuff, like Playboy and Penthouse.

My dad bough me a pedal-powered fire truck from arcegas ... twas just around 75 pesos then

... i was so happy .... (take note how young i was then as i still can fit on that kiddie ride)

Arcegas if i remember around where Betty Go Belmonte LRT is now .. tama ba?

Now 75 pesos is just a cup of expresso coffee.... :angry: <_<

That kiddie ride of ours lasted for years and was even repainted ....

Yeah Panacraft! Naalala ko rin tuloy yung Arcegas.

Sana magka-eb rin tayo.

post-61098-1158207885.jpg

Edited by lomex32

That cab / car is called the TOYOPET. Model 1968 yata yan.

Do any on you remember the department store GOODEARTH in Escolta ? It was touted as the FIRST store (or place??) to have an ESCALATOR. The top floor was the toy department that had a mini zoo of small exotic animals...crocos, iguanas and the like.

MATZUSAKAYA in Cubao was also a mini-E-playground of sorts - may kiddie rides and electric cars din.

Edited by pinoy_strigoi
That cab / car is called the TOYOPET. Model 1968 yata yan.

Do any on you remember the department store GOODEARTH in Escolta ? It was touted as the FIRST store (or place??) to have an ESCALATOR. The top floor was the toy department that had a mini zoo of small exotic animals...crocos, iguanas and the like.

MATZUSAKAYA in Cubao was also a mini-E-playground of sorts - may kiddie rides and electric cars din.

Wow, this topic of Cubao and Good Earth dates all the way back to the 60s even! Along Aurora Blvd. were Aguinaldo's and Assandas department stores.

If I recall correctly, Good Earth had this "conveyor" with built-in bins containing different kinds of candy which you purchase by weight. As a child, I was so engrossed just watching the basins move and disappear from sight, then reappear at the other end.

Beside Matsuzakaya was New Frontier Supermarket and Cinema. They also had "moving" (actually blinking) lightbulbs around the whole perimeter of their building compound. While waiting for my Mom to finish her shopping, I was content just watching the lights, probably because it had a hypnotizing effect. One time I even saw this when we were on a plane flying above the area.

Cheap thrills, happy na ako nun!!

I haven't heard the word PANACRAFT in a long, long time. But I loved that crazy foam. We had a lot of fun at home shooting each other. But during those days, a lot of imported products weren't really that expensive, considering that the peso-dollar exchange rate during the 70s was about P4-$1. Of course, this was before the import ban. The expensive stuff were the really banned stuff, like Playboy and Penthouse.

That's so true. I remember in the late 60s to early 70s, I had quite a number of those British-made Matchbox toy cars that my father bought for me. He usually shopped at stores in Escolta and in Santa Cruz because he worked in downtown Manila then. Then the day came when the exchange rate went up to P7-$1. Nahinto ang bili ng Matchbox cars for me. :(

However, my fascination with those toy cars never went away. A few years ago, I decided to start a collection of those vintage Superfast Matchbox models from the late 60s to early 70s. Enough na at baka OT na ako. :)

Wow, this topic of Cubao and Good Earth dates all the way back to the 60s even! Along Aurora Blvd. were Aguinaldo's and Assandas department stores.

If I recall correctly, Good Earth had this "conveyor" with built-in bins containing different kinds of candy which you purchase by weight. As a child, I was so engrossed just watching the basins move and disappear from sight, then reappear at the other end.

Beside Matsuzakaya was New Frontier Supermarket and Cinema. They also had "moving" (actually blinking) lightbulbs around the whole perimeter of their building compound. While waiting for my Mom to finish her shopping, I was content just watching the lights, probably because it had a hypnotizing effect. One time I even saw this when we were on a plane flying above the area.

Cheap thrills, happy na ako nun!!

Hi Liberty :)

Ako rin.... happy na ako just to be in Cubao. My mom used to have her hair permed and styled in BENY's Beauty parlor (which took forever). Whenever she took me with her, she would let me and our househelp roam around the area. Pasyal kami sa lahat ng tindahan na malapit (wala pa noong AliMall) - Shoemart (1 level bldg pa lang ito - may basement at mezanine then); Aguinaldo's, Rempson at Syvel's. One time nga, nakita ko pa si Rosemarie Sonora sa Syvels for a pictorial para sa calendar where she was beside a Xmas tree made of shoes (?!)

Doon ko na experience ang FIRST shopping ko as a "little adult" when my mom allowed me to buy my first party outfit para sa kauna-unahang soiree / party ko when i was in grade 7. My attire (personally picked by me, but styled by our fashion-forward househelp (??!!) ) consisted of a a Yellow "Popcorn (what they call then)" body fitting blouse that had ruffles and a big BUTTERFLY print in front (P 18) ......bell bottom high waisted "Katsa" pants na tadtad ng maliliit na butterfly patches (P 35) ......2 inch beige strappy clogs na parang greek sandal (On sale for P15) violet 1/4 inch na belt to cinch the waist; (P 5) beige "kastsa"hobo bag na may butterfly patches (din) and for accessories ( P 12) , a violet velvet choker na may pendant na butterfly din (P 8) - the cost was less than Php 100.00 !!!!

For sure dadaanan mo itong Magnolia Plant (ice cream) in Manila 1973

Can anyone identify the model/make of the taxi in the picture?

I remember that Magnolia plant na yan...staple venue yan sa mga field trips namin noon sa grade school yan, yearly lagi kami naandyan...of course we all look forward to it, you get free ice cream and you can eat all u want at may take-out pa...

haay the memories of my youth... :evil:

Hi Liberty :)

Ako rin.... happy na ako just to be in Cubao. My mom used to have her hair permed and styled in BENY's Beauty parlor (which took forever). Whenever she took me with her, she would let me and our househelp roam around the area. Pasyal kami sa lahat ng tindahan na malapit (wala pa noong AliMall) - Shoemart (1 level bldg pa lang ito - may basement at mezanine then); Aguinaldo's, Rempson at Syvel's. One time nga, nakita ko pa si Rosemarie Sonora sa Syvels for a pictorial para sa calendar where she was beside a Xmas tree made of shoes (?!)

Doon ko na experience ang FIRST shopping ko as a "little adult" when my mom allowed me to buy my first party outfit para sa kauna-unahang soiree / party ko when i was in grade 7. My attire (personally picked by me, but styled by our fashion-forward househelp (??!!) ) consisted of a a Yellow "Popcorn (what they call then)" body fitting blouse that had ruffles and a big BUTTERFLY print in front (P 18) ......bell bottom high waisted "Katsa" pants na tadtad ng maliliit na butterfly patches (P 35) ......2 inch beige strappy clogs na parang greek sandal (On sale for P15) violet 1/4 inch na belt to cinch the waist; (P 5) beige "kastsa"hobo bag na may butterfly patches (din) and for accessories ( P 12) , a violet velvet choker na may pendant na butterfly din (P 8) - the cost was less than Php 100.00 !!!!

Hehehe. Ang mura talaga noon.

Nawala na ang Syvel's, Rempson, Assanda's and COD in Cubao. Ganoon din ang New Frontier and Nation Supercinerama. Meron pa bang Avesco?

When I was in high school, favorite kong shirts were white munsingwear grandslam (penguin logo), Fred Perry (laurel wreath logo) and Izod Lacoste (blue or green croc logo) na stripes. Prices ranged from P 50 - P 60. Even cheaper if you bought them in Nepo Mart or Dau in Pampanga.

Now the original Fred Perry shirt is priced around P4k + in Homme et Femme, Shangri-La Plaza.

In the late 70s, prices went up to P 90 - P 120. The Bjorn Borg Fila was the most popular which was sold around P 300 -P 350. The original French Lacoste classic which was and still is my favorite was only P 150 then and US$ 60 at DFP now.

My first French Lacoste (1977) was a size 1 sky blue which I got for P 120 in Keri-Ol, Ali Mall. My mom then bought 2 shirts for me for Christmas (a maroon and a white). Uso noon ang tight fitting. In 1979, I grew up to size 2. My biggest lacoste was a size 6 (mid 90s) and I'm a happy size 3 now.

Have a nice weekend folks.

Ha ...

TOTO ung sinasabi mo

Indeed when Toto (the father) of the "Toto and his children" retired

they still continued the group as "And His Children"

Di ba Toto's Children na lang sila later?

"TOTO"--sagot sa trivia sa Jingle Magazine na: "Anong banda ang walang anak?"......

"TOTO and his Children" -- 1/3 sa sagot naman sa trivia na: "Sino ang tatlong pinakamdaming guesting sa Seeing STars with Joe Quirino?"

Sino yung dalawa pa?

Aldeguer Sisters?

Pilita Corales?

Di ba Toto's Children na lang sila later?

"TOTO"--sagot sa trivia sa Jingle Magazine na: "Anong banda ang walang anak?"......

"TOTO and his Children" -- 1/3 sa sagot naman sa trivia na: "Sino ang tatlong pinakamdaming guesting sa Seeing STars with Joe Quirino?"

Sino yung dalawa pa?