Back To The 70's

UP DILIMAN in the LATE 70's had ...

IRENE MARCOS

JO RAMOS

KATRINA PONCE ENRILE (among the famous shildren of Govt. officials then))

They were very different personalities. Some better than the other(s). But for trivia.....

Katrina had the most number of gay / fag groupies....Jo had the most number of boys hanging around her, while of course, Irene had the most number of bodygaurds.

But my personal favorite (despite her father being the Supreme Court Justice then - so No. 4 MAN) was MELISANDE CASTRO, daughter Justice Fred Ruiz Castro. Always prim and proper, elegant and low key.

LOREN LEGARDA then, was just...well...LOREN.

Another showbiz personality na nag-UP: Dina Bonnevie.

When I joined NCOTC ( yup, nag NCO ako, sabi kasi sa akin that was

one way to evade those stupid parades ), one of my 'missions' was

to get her autograph.

I remember her asking me if I was a neophyte, then signing : Dina Bonnevie-Sotto.

The student number was 77 or 78-something, if i remember right.

I thought she was from Ateneo pero my wife said that she's from UP nga raw. There was a Miss Magnolia in 1978 or 79 where I knew personally 3 contestants among the finalists - Malu Maglutac (my classmate in English), Jake Quisumbing and Dindin Lopez who was crowned Miss Magnolia. In that pageant, Dina Bonnevie was the runner up.

Edited by storm

Speaking of Irene Marcos...

I used to see her at AS, always smiling and talking to people. Yes, she really came across as a friendly person, removed from politics. But what really struck me were those HUGE, HUGE bodyguards! With those guys hovering about her, who'd have the courage to talk to her? Now fastforward to about three years ago. I was having a solitary meal at Glorietta when I saw (guess who?) Irene Marcos. She was with a friend or a relative, who knows. This time she had just one bodyguard.

As for the Marcos daughters (please, I'm not getting political here)...

During the martial law years, a lot of people kept saying that Irene was the prettier of the two. I always felt otherwise. I thought it was Imee. During those days, she headed the Kabataan Barangay. Just look at her now.

Enrollment - UP Diliman, circa' late 70's: Anong oras kayo pumupunta sa campus, at sino ang mga profs na sinigurado nyong makukuha ninyo? Ako si Philip Waite. History yata sya eh. There's another famous Spanish teacher si Ms. Sailing. On the other side of the coin naman for Math si Miss Mapa.

Nung freshmen kayo, na shock din ba kayo nung medical exam??

Thanks for the welcome back T, actually it wasn't as chilly as the previous weeks. Lower 20s lang. I don't think we were classmates in Anton's class because we didn't have to select topics at random. Grabe naman yun! Congrats on your 1.5! Dos lang ang nakuha ko.

I used to see Rod Paulate in campus in the medyo early 80s na. Bing Pimentel was UP too diba? Other 'babes' at that time were Alicia Cuenca and Crispy Santamaria, but I think they were from other schools.

Worst class I ever had was PI 100, Tues/Thu at 7AM. Lalo na when I had to stay up late for a Math exam..el terrible!

Enrollment - UP Diliman, circa' late 70's: Anong oras kayo pumupunta sa campus, at sino ang mga profs na sinigurado nyong makukuha ninyo? Ako si Philip Waite. History yata sya eh. There's another famous Spanish teacher si Ms. Sailing. On the other side of the coin naman for Math si Miss Mapa.

Nung freshmen kayo, na shock din ba kayo nung medical exam??

Thanks for the welcome back T, actually it wasn't as chilly as the previous weeks. Lower 20s lang. I don't think we were classmates in Anton's class because we didn't have to select topics at random. Grabe naman yun! Congrats on your 1.5! Dos lang ang nakuha ko.

I used to see Rod Paulate in campus in the medyo early 80s na. Bing Pimentel was UP too diba? Other 'babes' at that time were Alicia Cuenca and Crispy Santamaria, but I think they were from other schools.

Worst class I ever had was PI 100, Tues/Thu at 7AM. Lalo na when I had to stay up late for a Math exam..el terrible!

Ok lang ba maski early 80's na ko nag-college sa UP? Di na ko masyado na-shock sa

physical kasi we would do that even when we were in UP Elem.

Used to see Roderick Paulate too, speech major yata. Kasabay ko nung 80's sila

Tweety de Leon, Martin Nievera, Raymond Lauchengco, and Jon Hernandez.

Free sched ako during my freshman first sem, so had to enlist in each subject.

Buti na lang suwerte sa EPN.

My PI 100 class was the only class where I requested the professor to accept me as a transferee from another PI 100 class. During that sem, we visited the Rizalistas in Laguna. It was quite an experience. Worst class? Easily, Math 100. To this day, I can't understand differentials.

The best was Humanities - classes held in a darkened air-conditioned room, slides of artworks would be shown which was a great opportunity to catch a few zzz's.

Dutchman, ano nga ba yung 'EPN'? Yun ba yung volunteers who assist in the enrollment process?

Anybody had Mrs Sonza for English classes? Her classes were fun. Teka... nagiging fighting maroons thread na yata ito. Sorry...

The best was Humanities - classes held in a darkened air-conditioned room, slides of artworks would be shown which was a great opportunity to catch a few zzz's.

Dutchman, ano nga ba yung 'EPN'? Yun ba yung volunteers who assist in the enrollment process?

Anybody had Mrs Sonza for English classes? Her classes were fun. Teka... nagiging fighting maroons thread na yata ito. Sorry...

EPN was the Enlistment Priority Number. Bunutan tapos rank either ascending

or descending. Later they decided to use the 1st 3 or last 3 digits of your student no.

My Humanities class was under the late great poet Ricaredo Demetillo, who had the habit of saying "All right" (which often sounded like Awright) after showing a slide or playing on a song on a reel. I met his son during my father's wake in 2004. And yes, we did tend to fall asleep because of the AC and dark surroundings.

My most enduring memory of Humanities, however, was a classmate who was unbelievably beautiful. For privacy's sake, I won't post her full name, but her first name was Frances. And she really was unbelievably beautiful.

You are right Slide..so we beg the indulgence of the other members of this thread.  :*

By the way..during our time we had the DIAMOND JUBILEE celebration 1983..... ang dami kong souvenirs one of which is a table top 12 inch oblation. Lapit na ng CENTENNIAL ng UP in 2008. :)

My org (UPJMA) actually sold commemorative car plates of the Diamond Jubilee at the stand at the Sunken Garden, across UP CBA. I wish I had bought a set. The biggest concern then was if they would be honored by the Metrocom (remember that term?).

Marami pala tayong Peyups dito. Yeah I also remember Irene and Imee sa UP. Magkaibang dating and aura nila. Parang hindi magkapatid. I had a chance to be kissed (sa cheeks) by the sisters when I won in a bowling tournament sponsored by Kabataang Barangay. I took home a Sharp B&W TV and a medal.

Pareng sliderule. Are you also a Psych Major?

Marami pala tayong Peyups dito. Yeah I also remember Irene and Imee sa UP. Magkaibang dating and aura nila. Parang hindi magkapatid. I had a chance to be kissed (sa cheeks) by the sisters when I won in a bowling tournament sponsored by Kabataang Barangay. I took home a Sharp B&W TV and a medal.

Now that you mentioned BOWLING, Ten-pin was the "Badminton" of the late 70's to early 80's HS / college students. From school we used to go the Celebrity to play Bowling (ang talunan nag pa-PACMAN nalang). One game then used to cost 3.50 - ang budget ko lang for 2 games e our rotation was whoeven loses pays. Minasan hanggang 1 game lang ako, but most of the time I play 3-4 na libre. Kasi naman in a group of women na maka score ka ng 120 up, magaling ka na noon.

Storm, our common friend Bong C from Malabon was into Bowling too at that time, the best in our group. (though badminton na siya - as always sunod sa uso). Bowling would be a nice group activity to revive sa age group natin. My nephew CJ SUAREZ (World bowling champ in 2003 and current SEA gold medalist) had his auspicious start doing bumper bowling when his parents joined bowling nights with their friends.

Storm, no I'm not a Psych major, the Psych 101 was a required subject in my course, so ayun. I see you play a mean game of bowling pala :-)

I never saw Imee in campus. Irene was so down to earth - you'd never guess she was a first daughter from the way she would interact with others.

Now that you mentioned BOWLING, Ten-pin was the "Badminton" of the late 70's to early 80's HS /  college students.  From school we used to go the Celebrity to play Bowling (ang talunan nag pa-PACMAN nalang).  One game then used to cost 3.50 - ang budget ko lang for 2 games e our rotation was whoeven loses pays.  Minasan hanggang 1 game lang ako, but most of the time I play 3-4 na libre.  Kasi naman in a group of women na maka score ka ng 120 up, magaling ka na noon.

Storm, our common friend Bong C from Malabon was into Bowling too at that time, the best in our group. (though badminton na siya - as always sunod sa uso).  Bowling would be a nice group activity to revive sa age group natin. My nephew CJ SUAREZ (World bowling champ in 2003 and current SEA gold medalist) had his auspicious start doing bumper bowling when his parents joined bowling nights with  their friends.

I met CJ in '98 when Paeng put up a bowling center in Ever-Gotesco Commonwealth. Magaling talaga siya. I resumed bowling then for the Inter-Village tournament of QC. Our team (Tivoli Greens) became the champion most of the time kaya siguro itinigil ang tournament. :D

I started bowling in 1976. It was only P 2.50 per game at Coronado Cubao. I stopped in 1980 when it became P 5.00 per game. I'm a natural bowler (kahit duckpins) and it's a pity that my parents didn't support me unlike Paeng and CJ. I won in many tournaments then (pati na sa mga pustahan) that my winnings far exceeded all my expenses. :thumbsupsmiley:

My highest score in the 70s was 266 kahit rubber ball pa lang ang gamit noon, my all time high was a 287 in 2000 using a 16lbs STORM El Niño. I stopped bowling after I won the masters in AQCHAI in 2000. I lost interest when the equipment overtook the bowler to score well. Even the mediocre ones can score 180+ games. :(

I hope they will do something about it. Make it hard to score high para makita talaga kung sinong magaling.

I lost interest when the equipment overtook the bowler to score well. Even the mediocre ones can score 180+ games.  :(

I hope they will do something about it. Make it hard to score high para makita talaga kung sinong magaling.

Technology-enhanced skills ... not onyl are the athletes on "STEROIDS" now, pati sports equipment !!!! (In all types) - I still feel the 70's-80's athletes are far better SKILL talaga....ngayon nga may Sports psychologists, etc. dati naman healthy competition lang and the desire to win. Times have really changed.

Speaking of bowling...

I'm no bowling expert. I'm an absolute IDIOT (exponentially) when it comes to bowling. But I remember how our lovely PI was in a frenzy when Paeng won his first World Cup. I also remember how he defeated Earl Stromm(?) in their first one-on-one duel in Manila, then in their second in Norway(?). I also remember the pride I felt when Lita de la Rosa and Bong Coo won the Ladies' World Cup way back when.

Bakit noong nakuha natin yung pinakamaraming medalyang ginto sa nakalipas na "SEA Games," hindi ako masaya?

Marami pala tayong Peyups dito.

Ako hindi Peyups. But there was a time in college when I used to frequent the campus. I had three groups of friends there.

First, yung mga tiga Collegian/student council because of our CEGP links. Naturally, political activities ang trip nila. Then, yung mga former classmates ko from high school most of whom also took up engineering. Inuman naman ang trip nitong crowd na to. Finally, mga tiga BA na madalas namin maka-party. Eto, puro naman gimmick.

Since my office is in the QC area, when I get tired of the usual cafeteria stuff, I'd drive all the way to UP and take my lunch at Rodics at the coop, the Bahay Alumni, even at beach house near the sunken garden (brings back memories! hehehe). And the pritong lumpya sold in the afternoons around the vicinity of UP chapel, that's really good value for money!

New Frontier is closed.  What was once Nation Cinema and Queens is now a man-made lake.  The old Rustan's Superstore has become a tianggehan.  COD is gone as well. Ali Mall is still there, still OK.  Farmer's is thriving, primarily because of the MRT station (and availaible ladies perhaps?) which draws a lot of customer traffic.  The old Fiesta Carnival is now Shopwise.  The new Fiesta Carnival is now an open-air carnival across SM Cubao.  Sampaguita Theater is now a hotel.  The two Quezon theaters have been converted into gathering places for religious groups. 

The biggest change is Gateway.  It's like being in Makati.  And because of the LRT Purple Line, it draws the upscale market.

There are also many establishments which you used to see only in Makati and Ortigas, which you can now find in Cubao.

As for the non-Araneta side of Cubao, that's a different story.  For instance, there's a great "school" there called Harvard,  I "enrolled" there some years ago, but I've been on leave of absence for quite some time now.  Outside of the Araneta area, there are a lot of hotels.  Cubao has become something like a blend of heaven and hell.  It just depends on what your idea of heaven is...or hell.

an addendum:

I was in Cubao a few weeks back and the Marikina Shoe Expo has been transformed into some sort of hip, bohemian underbelly kind of place. Yes there are still shoe stores there but it also now contains some shops selling vintage and pop-art, an art gallery would you believe, another gallery-cum-wine bar displaying photography, some thrift shops where you can rummage around for old books and knickknacks, a hip toy store not selling your usual toys and of course, that Italian resto - Bellini's.