Back To The 70's

I don't think Ananda Marga is Buddhist.  In their website, there's no mention of Buddha, which would be basic to Buddhists.  I think it's Hindu (someone correct me here, please).  My eldest brother belongs to a Hindu sect, even if he was born in New York and grew up in Quezon City (and graduated from UP).  Sometimes it seems that Hindus have more divisions (aka sects) than Christians.

The Ananda Marga really became known to Filipinos during the Karpov-Korchnoi chess championship showdown in Baguio.  TM, on the other hand, was made famous by the Beatles.  The downside of TM was that you had to consult a guru to get your own personal mantra. As for that Unified Field theory, well....

And I do remember those orange-robed bald fellows.  I still see some of them from time to time.  I believe they're Hari Krishna, but I could be wrong.  In any case, they look so happy.

you're right, pare - Hari Krishna was it....there was an explosion of these philosophies in the 70's.....

The Beatles' Across the Universe had the meditation word om very prominent in the lyrics...

Of course Hindu thinking had a great influence on George Harrison and that's why he hooked up with Ravi Shankar and the sitar back in those days...I remember watching the Concert for Bangladesh and I recall being bored and impatient with the first part because it featured Ravi Shankar playing sitar music for a good 30 minutes! :wacko: :wacko:

you're right, pare - Hari Krishna was it....there was an explosion of these philosophies in the 70's.....

The Beatles' Across the Universe had the meditation word om very prominent in the lyrics...

Of course Hindu thinking had a great influence on George Harrison and that's why he hooked up with Ravi Shankar and the sitar back in those days...I remember watching the Concert for Bangladesh and I recall being bored and impatient with the first part because it featured Ravi Shankar playing sitar music for a good 30 minutes! :wacko:  :wacko:

Bods, I bought the Concert for Bangladesh CD and you're right - Ravi Shankar dominated the first part. Many years later, there's a tribute concert for the late George Harrison (featuring his son Danny - who I swear looks exactly like his father in the 60s) where this time, Shankar's daughter played the sitar for what seemed like an eternity.

Back to Bangladesh - listening to it a good 30 years later, it's quite a compilation, I don't regret buying the 2-CD set. Eric Clapton, Leon Russel, Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston. That was the first concert I saw with 2 drumers and I was so amazed how they could play in perfect synch.

Jai guru deva om . . .Nothing's gonna change my world. . .

If you're looking for a Beatles, specifically George Harrison song with heavy Hare Krishna influences, listen to Within You and Without You.

And then of course there's My Sweet Lord which came out in the 70s. With this song, George Harrison became the first ex-Beatle to hit the Billboard top 10 after the break-up.

And Concert for Bangladesh was the first benefit concert of its kind coming a good decade before Live Aid (mid-80s).

Edited by Magaling
Bods, I bought the Concert for Bangladesh CD and you're right - Ravi Shankar dominated the first part. Many years later, there's a tribute concert for the late George Harrison (featuring his son Danny - who I swear looks exactly like his father in the 60s) where this time, Shankar's daughter played the sitar for what seemed like an eternity.

Back to Bangladesh - listening to it a good 30 years later, it's quite a compilation, I don't regret buying the 2-CD set. Eric Clapton, Leon Russel, Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston. That was the first concert I saw with 2 drumers and I was so amazed how they could play in perfect synch.

The concert looks and feels dated now but it remains a classic in the music world. First time I saw it on a laser disc - maybe the remastered DVD now looks better and improved....

Jai guru deva om . . .Nothing's gonna change my world. . .

If you're looking for a Beatles, specifically George Harrison song with heavy Hare Krishna influences, listen to Within You and Without You. 

And then of course there's My Sweet Lord which came out in the 70s.  With this song, George Harrison became the first ex-Beatle to hit the Billboard top 10 after the break-up.

And Concert for Bangladesh was the first benefit concert of its kind coming a good decade before Live Aid (mid-80s).

Bangladesh was in total ruin in the 70's - I think it was due to famine, drought and their war for independence. That was the first super benefit concert and the model for all the benefit concerts that were to come later...

After dinner EB sa amin tomorrow night. PM me for those who needs direction. The EB will start at 830pm kasi aalis pa ako and baka matraffic. :D

In the 70s nauso si Idi Amin of Uganda. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Storm and Mrs. Storm, our sincerest thanks for welcoming us into your lovely home!! The great wines, the sumptious food prepared, and the interesting stories shared will always be remembered and appreciated. And it was nice seeing you again, Bods!

A perfect evening with wonderful friends! :D

Yes Boss Gungeek I remember too well the Sci-Fi Space 1999. Si Martin Landau ang bida. Until now di pa sila nakagawa ng spaceship like the Eagle. Yung handheld walkie-talkie na me maliit na TV nagawa na ngayon di ba? How about the 6 million dollar man(Bionic Man). Common na ang Bionic from Medical to Industrial di ba?

My favorite TV show at that time was 'space 1999'.... sa channel 9 yata. I also remember people putting colored cellophane sa B&W TV screens (ang sakit sa mata)....

Storm and Mrs. Storm, our sincerest thanks for welcoming us into your lovely home!!  The great wines, the sumptious food prepared, and the interesting stories shared will always be remembered and appreciated.  And it was nice seeing you again, Bods! 

A perfect evening with wonderful friends!  :D

The pleasure is ours. Till next time.

I bought JC Superstar double CD at P 200 only in Eastwood.

Yes Boss Gungeek I remember too well the Sci-Fi Space 1999. Si Martin Landau ang bida. Until now di pa sila nakagawa ng spaceship like the Eagle. Yung handheld walkie-talkie na me maliit na TV nagawa na ngayon di ba? How about the 6 million dollar man(Bionic Man). Common na ang Bionic from Medical to Industrial di ba?

Sir Skicker, yup i remember the 6 million dollar man... bida si Lee Majors dun....also Bionic Girl and Wonder Woman (linda carter)... favorite ko rin iyun Wild Wild West, Rat patrol, Kung Fu and Green Hornet (side kick pa Bruce Lee)... halos yata ng movies ni Bruce Lee napanood ko...

Boss Gungeek..I am sure paborito nating lahat: COMBAT. One of the stars died from a helo crash-si Vic Morrow...syempre we all loved KIrby yung lefty yun di ba? Gustong Gusto ko noon ang mga Tommy Gun nila.

Sir Skicker, yup i remember the 6 million dollar man... bida si Lee Majors dun....also Bionic Girl and Wonder Woman (linda carter)... favorite ko rin iyun Wild Wild West, Rat patrol, Kung Fu and Green Hornet (side kick pa Bruce Lee)... halos yata ng movies ni Bruce Lee napanood ko...

Pareng Storm,

I have posted in the wine thread our appreciation to you, Mrs Storm and Bods for a lovely evening we had last Friday.

I would like to add that your home and the art in it exudes very positive energy. Looking at your art collection I felt I was in a time warp .... the handbook of sketches (obviously early works), that one of a kind work hanging in your entertainment center, those variations of sambong in oil and watercolor, including your early works in "the runner" and the "knight". I look at them with awe and admiration. Of course, your home is in itself an artpiece!!!

Again, thank you!

Pareng Storm,

I have posted in the wine thread our appreciation to you, Mrs Storm and Bods for a lovely evening we had last Friday.

I would like to add that your home and the art in it exudes very positive energy.  Looking at your art collection I felt I was in a time warp .... the handbook of sketches (obviously early works), that one of a kind work hanging in your entertainment center, those variations of sambong in oil and watercolor,  including your early works in "the runner" and the "knight".  I  look at them with awe and admiration.  Of course, your home is in itself an artpiece!!!

Again, thank you!

Thank you Pareng Masi. The pleasure was ours also. We really had an 'artful' evening and dapat maulit muli and this time kasama na sina Pareng Pinoy, mareng Augustmoon, sis Lipsick, pareng 16track, pati sana si JT and the rest of the gang who share the 70s moment.

Cheers and let's drink to that. :thumbsupsmiley:

Welcome to the thread Sir Skicker and Boss Gungeek :cool:

Edited by storm
Boss Gungeek..I am sure paborito nating lahat: COMBAT. One of the stars died from a helo crash-si Vic Morrow...syempre we all loved KIrby yung lefty yun di ba? Gustong Gusto ko noon ang mga Tommy Gun nila.

Sir Skicker...oo nga pala COMBAT...yup same with you gusto ko iyung tommy guns nila... i used make wooden replica ng tommy guns nila when was still a kid...but now i have one in my collection a real tommy gun... :)

HI Storm!

Yep, I definitely will be at the next EB. As I mentioned, sayang I could not join the last one as I just came back from a 3 week overseas trip and my body clock was just going bonkers. I promise to be attend the next one as I am pretty sure what I missed.

Regards! :)

Thank you Pareng Masi. The pleasure was ours also. We really had an 'artful' evening and dapat maulit muli and this time kasama na sina Pareng Pinoy, mareng Augustmoon, sis Lipsick, pareng 16track, pati sana si JT and the rest of the gang who share the 70s moment.

Cheers and let's drink to that.  :thumbsupsmiley:

Welcome to the thread Sir Skicker and Boss Gungeek :cool:

HI Storm!

Yep, I definitely will be at the next EB. As I mentioned, sayang I could not join the last one as I just came back from a 3 week overseas trip and my body clock was just going bonkers. I promise to be attend the next one as I am pretty sure what I missed.

Regards!  :)

yeah I saw that CD there, pare but I bought a Van Morrison for 100 and a George Benson oldies collection for 200...

yes, I also look forward to the next EB! thanks for the graciousness you showed us, pare!

Just say when mga pare ko. Pambalanse ko ang EB sa dami ng trabaho ngayon. :P

Sir Gungeek..wow really? ang galing naman. I wish I have them too but unfortunately I don't think I am allowed to own assault rifle. Yeah meron din akong laruan na ginawa ng erpat ko kung minsan bibili pag fiesta..good for you rare collection yan di ba? WW II era pa yan. I get to "hold" a gun pag duty at me target practice from beretta 9mm. M14, .50 Cal, M60. Mark 22 at electric gatling gun..kaya lang mabigat yun. Buti ka pa hobby mo lang ako kailangan matuto at maging proficient in our line of work. Have a good day Sir Gungeek at sa lahat. FYI M.A.S.H also in the 70's.

Sir Skicker...oo nga pala COMBAT...yup same with you gusto ko iyung tommy guns nila... i used make wooden replica ng tommy guns nila when was still a kid...but now i have one in my collection a real tommy gun... :)

Sir Gungeek..wow really? ang galing naman. I wish I have them too but unfortunately I don't think I am allowed to own assault rifle. Yeah meron din akong laruan na ginawa ng erpat ko kung minsan bibili pag fiesta..good for you rare collection yan di ba? WW II era pa yan. I get to "hold" a gun pag duty at me target practice from beretta 9mm. M14, .50 Cal, M60. Mark 22 at electric gatling gun..kaya lang mabigat yun. Buti ka pa hobby mo lang ako kailangan matuto at maging proficient in our line of work. Have a good day Sir Gungeek at sa lahat. FYI M.A.S.H also in the 70's.

good morning sir skicker, yup its heavy kasi made of steel not like modern f/as na made of alloy and plastic...most of my collection came from my late father na nasa service before he died KIA in early 70's.... if you like guns visit the mtc gun club thread, nasa sports and hobbies...

yeah MASH... i remember during the late 70s sikat na sikat ang mits lancer (L type)...and golden taxi (black colored taxis) kasi hindi madaya ang metro nila....

gud day to all... :thumbsupsmiley:

Sorry to hear about your dad sir gungeek..nakuha mo rin ang hilig ng father mo..i am not a gun collector pero parang sports activity na ang mga owner kaya gusto ko na rin..Thanks for the invitation Sir Gungeek.

sa boxing:.naganap sa Pilipinas ang one of the Greatest fights by the Greatest Boxer of all time: The" Thrilla in Manila"..napanood nyo ba? Bata pa naman ako noon.

good morning sir skicker, yup its heavy kasi made of steel not like modern f/as na made of alloy and plastic...most of my collection came from my late father na nasa service before he died KIA in early 70's.... if you like guns visit the mtc gun club thread, nasa sports and hobbies...

yeah MASH... i remember during the late 70s sikat na sikat ang mits lancer (L type)...and golden taxi (black colored taxis) kasi hindi madaya ang metro nila....

gud day to all... :thumbsupsmiley:

sa boxing:.naganap sa Pilipinas ang one of the Greatest fights by the Greatest Boxer of all time: The" Thrilla in Manila"..napanood nyo ba? Bata pa naman ako noon.

There's an Ali thread in the Sports and Hobbies section. I contribute there when I have something new to say. But the greatest fight I've seen involved not Ali, Frazier, or Foreman, but Larry Holmes and Ken Norton. I believe this happened in the late 1970s. That 15th round was unbelievable. Both fighters could barely stand. It was "Rocky" in real life. They just kept swinging on instinct...like wounded tigers, as the saying goes. Holmes got the victory by split decision, possibly because of that last flurry. Norton never accepted the defeat.