Back To The 70's

If your kids are in Ateneo GS, baka nagkikita-kita pala tayo during school affairs????

I am a PREP and GRADE 4 PARENT. Never missed ANY of the affairs...looks like I will also have to attend this KUYA JAMMIN' Band thingy tommorrow evening too (my son has been pestering me) ... Imagine, a 40+ Mom swinging to the beat of MYMP and CUESHE..not to mention Pinoy Big Brother artists...????!!!!!! DAMATS na talaga ako. Pang RETRO bands lang ako. :)

Hi Liberty. :)

Hi Pareng Storm!  And hello to everyone too!

That was spoken like a true parent! 

It's amazing how we sound like our parents now!!  When i look back i realize that every single advice/pangaral/sermon they said (well, almost everything) was true.

Tama ka, wag na munang ma-involve sa girls at an early age.  Panggulo sa buhay yan.  It's good mahilig siya mag-aral, that shows you, as the parent, helped him develop good study habits.  Congratulations!  And it's such a great feeling when your kid excels in school, it makes you feel so proud!

:thumbsupsmiley:

Thanks Mareng Liberty! The credit goes more to Mrs Storm.

I didnt mean that if you didnt go to an exclusive school that you were at a disadvantage.  It is your personal choice where to put your children.  Your children if they are good will thrive in any school.  It is just that as parents we want to give the best, and since we are happy with the education we got, (as in the case, MC and ADMU although we went to UP too)  we work hard to give them the same.  UPIS is a good choice, given our access, that would have been a good choice for us too.

My statement was not a generalization although in my breadth of experience, that seems to be the case.  Not of discrimination, but maybe because  of our limited exposure.  Being a child of the 70's / 80's you know what i am talking about (limited socials - though this may not apply to you  :D , limited circle and overprotective parents).

Hi mareng Augustmoon! I know hindi madedehadong anak ko considering he's more gwapo than his father. :D

Yeah, you're right. That's not applicable to me. :P

I am a PREP and GRADE 4 PARENT.  Never missed ANY of the affairs...looks like I will also have to attend this KUYA JAMMIN' Band thingy tommorrow evening too (my son has been pestering me)  ... Imagine, a 40+ Mom swinging to the beat of MYMP and CUESHE..not to mention Pinoy Big Brother artists...????!!!!!! DAMATS na talaga ako. Pang RETRO bands lang ako.  :)

Hi Liberty.  :)

Mine is in 2nd grade.

Damats? I thinks it's okay. Most of the other parents are in the same age group anyway so pare-pareho lang tayo :D Although once in a while, I come across parents who seem to be just in their late 20s/early 30s but those are rare.

Yes, its still PAL.

but the newest buzz/BAD word among the graders now is CRUD 

Geez! I should be paying more attention to what these kids are saying. Kadalasan kasi, it's my wife who attends school activities. Ako? Drayber lang at tiga-hatid lang sa eskwela tuwing umaga. Hehehe.

It's amazing how we sound like our parents now!!  When i look back i realize that every single advice/pangaral/sermon they said (well, almost everything) was true.

Oh yes. Although sometimes, there's a concious effort to try not to. I guess we also realize that times are different. With today's kids, you really have to reason out. Sa atin noon (I hope I'm not speaking for myself here?) tingin lang ng mga parents natin, alam na na natin kung pwede o hindi.

Tama ka, wag na munang ma-involve sa girls at an early age.  Panggulo sa buhay yan.  It's good mahilig siya mag-aral, that shows you, as the parent, helped him develop good study habits.  Congratulations!  And it's such a great feeling when your kid excels in school, it makes you feel so proud!

Since both my wife and I (more her than me actually) were good students before, she has a tendency of "reminding" our son that when we were kids, Daddy was like this, Mommy was like that, etc. And I would nudge my wife to take it easy on the kid. Life is hard enough without the pressure of living up to such pressures. Anyway, our kid has a excellent grades in all subjects. Sa Pilipino subjects lang talaga siya hirap.

As parents, I think the real and probably the toughest challenge would be guiding our kids through those teenage years. Playing that delicate balance between allowing them to enjoy their youth while at the same time ensuring that they avoid the pitfalls... I have a nephew who grew up with us. He really gave us a hard time during his late high school/ early college. Pero now in his late teens, he's becoming more matured and responsible so medyo ok na!

Oh yes.  Although sometimes, there's a concious effort to try not to.  I guess we also realize that times are different.  With today's kids, you really have to reason out.  Sa atin noon (I hope I'm not speaking for myself here?) tingin lang ng mga parents natin, alam na na natin kung pwede o hindi. 

Since both my wife and I (more her than me actually) were good students before, she has a tendency of "reminding" our son that when we were kids, Daddy was like this, Mommy was like that, etc.  And I would nudge my wife to take it easy on the kid.  Life is hard enough without the pressure of living up to such pressures.  Anyway, our kid has a excellent grades in all subjects.  Sa Pilipino subjects lang talaga siya hirap.

As parents, I think the real and probably the toughest challenge would be guiding our kids through those teenage years. Playing that delicate balance between allowing them to enjoy their youth while at the same time ensuring that they avoid the pitfalls...  I have a nephew who grew up with us.  He really gave us a hard time during his late high school/ early college. Pero now in his late teens, he's becoming more matured and responsible so medyo ok na!

My husband was a good student, although I really can't say the same for myself... :cry:

In retrospect, it's sad I wasn't able to make my parents feel the same experience that I enjoy now everytime my daughter comes home with honors. What did I gain from all the cutting classes and bulakbol and I did while in school? Well...

True to form, experience IS the best teacher.

Hi Ms. Augustmoon!

Nung late 70's, yung North Luzon PNCC toll ticket mas malaki pa sa Airline Ticket...made of premium paper pa :lol: :D

Back then, the old folks would refer to is as the "North Diversion".... Just as EDSA was referred to as Highway 54.

Whenever we had to go to our hometown, we'd exit Tabang which I think was the end of the toll road. There, we'd stop to buy espasol, buko, ensaymada, etc. or take our lunch at Cafe Valenzuela... Later, Sta. Rita opened and the tollway would extend up to Malolos.

Now, even our town has its own exit so no need to pass by either Tabang or Sta. Rita.

Nung late 70's, yung North Luzon PNCC toll ticket mas malaki pa sa Airline Ticket...made of premium paper pa :lol: :D

Wala ring traffic noon. :thumbsupsmiley:

Nagsimula nang early 70s hanggang Tabang tapos naextend hanggang Dau noong late 70s. There were times that we go to Dau from UP Diliman just to eat honest to goodness American food and buy stuffs like imported T-shirts (amoy US), combat meals and back issues of US magazines. Our travel time then was only an hour one way.

Oo nga OT na tayo. Hehehe.  Ok Back to topic... :hypocritesmiley:

Hindi naman OT, we're just connecting the past to the present. :cool:

Back then, the old folks would refer to is as the "North Diversion".... Just as EDSA was referred to as Highway 54.

Whenever we had to go to our hometown, we'd exit Tabang which I think was the end of the toll road.  There, we'd stop to buy espasol, buko, ensaymada, etc. or take our lunch at Cafe Valenzuela... Later, Sta. Rita opened and the tollway would extend up to Malolos. 

Now, even our town has its own exit so no need to pass by either Tabang or Sta. Rita.

We used to go to my mom's ancestral home in Cabanatuan City and we usually had breakfast at Cafe Valenzuela. I haven't been to Cafe Valenzuela since the Sta. Rita toll opened. I wonder if it's is still open.

kamusta na mga 70s boys, tagal ko ng hindi dumadalaw sa thread na ito.

pareng storm musta na?

Medyo dalas-dalasan mo bro. :P

I know how busy you are. :thumbsupsmiley:

Me, I'm busy preparing for a new show. :goatee:

Wala ring traffic noon.  :thumbsupsmiley:

Nagsimula nang early 70s hanggang Tabang tapos naextend hanggang Dau noong late 70s. There were times that we go to Dau from UP Diliman just to eat honest to goodness American food and buy stuffs like imported T-shirts (amoy US), combat meals and back issues of US magazines.

hey i remember that one...yung combat meals!!! Naalala ko pa, yan lagi ang aking baon kapag may field trip or camping activities. My Dad (God bless his soul..) always buys that for me whenever he goes there sa DAU, gustong gusto ko yung spaghetti at kung matsa-tsambahan yung roast beef. Nowadays, I cant seem to find a store that sells that.....

hey i remember that one...yung combat meals!!! Naalala ko pa, yan lagi ang aking baon kapag may field trip or camping activities. My Dad (God bless his soul..) always buys that for me whenever he goes there sa DAU, gustong gusto ko yung spaghetti at kung matsa-tsambahan yung roast beef. Nowadays, I cant seem to find a store that sells that.....

My brother got to buy "K-ration" meals (de lata na kulay moss green) in a PX store in Cash and Carry along South Super highway before X'mas. FYI

Those K-rations were really hits during the 70s. They were great pasalubongs any time a friend or relative went to Clark and/or Subic. While eating the stuff, you could pretend to be Sgt. Saunders or a character in "The Longest Day." There were also dishes that you couldn't find in any supermarket in Metro at the time (eg. beef in apple sauce). I believe that those things have long since been replaced by "ready to eat" meals (I'm not quite sure if that's the term) which are lighter. In other words, no more cans.

By the way, while those K-rations looked cool, they didn't give the GIs an advantage in war. Way back when, sometime after the Vietnam War, a military man told me that that was one of the differences between the GIs and the Vietcong and the NVA. The GIs needed those rations. The VC and the NVA lived off the land. That made the VC and the NVA faster and more flexible. During that war, our lovely PI was so important, in the sense that no GI was sent to Vietnam for combat duty without first going through survival training in Subic, with the Aetas as their instructors.

Those K-rations were really hits during the 70s.  They were great pasalubongs any time a friend or relative went to Clark and/or Subic.  While eating the stuff, you could pretend to be Sgt. Saunders or a character in "The Longest Day."  There were also dishes that you couldn't find in any supermarket in Metro at the time (eg. beef in apple sauce). I believe that those things have long since been replaced by "ready to eat" meals (I'm not quite sure if that's the term) which are lighter.  In other words, no more cans.

By the way, while those K-rations looked cool, they didn't give the GIs an advantage in war.  Way back when, sometime after the Vietnam War, a military man told me that that was one of the differences between the GIs and the Vietcong and the NVA.  The GIs needed those rations.  The VC and the NVA lived off the land.  That made the VC and the NVA faster and more flexible.  During that war, our lovely PI was so important, in the sense that no GI was sent to Vietnam for combat duty without first going through survival training in Subic, with the Aetas as their instructors.

How true? The Philippines has become so indispensable as a training venue for

the US that the phil gov't actually lets insurgency and terrorism flourish para

mapag-praktisan ng mga kano. Not to mention the money made from military ops.

Those K-rations were really hits during the 70s.  They were great pasalubongs any time a friend or relative went to Clark and/or Subic.  While eating the stuff, you could pretend to be Sgt. Saunders or a character in "The Longest Day."  There were also dishes that you couldn't find in any supermarket in Metro at the time (eg. beef in apple sauce). I believe that those things have long since been replaced by "ready to eat" meals (I'm not quite sure if that's the term) which are lighter.  In other words, no more cans.

By the way, while those K-rations looked cool, they didn't give the GIs an advantage in war.  Way back when, sometime after the Vietnam War, a military man told me that that was one of the differences between the GIs and the Vietcong and the NVA.  The GIs needed those rations.  The VC and the NVA lived off the land.  That made the VC and the NVA faster and more flexible.  During that war, our lovely PI was so important, in the sense that no GI was sent to Vietnam for combat duty without first going through survival training in Subic, with the Aetas as their instructors.

Meron pang maliit na can opener and 6 sticks of cigarettes. Kaya nga pag open mo nito sa campings, confiscated kaagad ng scoutmaster ang mga yosi.

Cafe Valenzuela has closed last 1995 i think, i used to frequent that place since my Auntie lives in Baliwag and she meets her barkada before driving back to Manila :D

The K Rations were great...My Dad and I got our fix (for free) when Clark was still open and AFP officers were treated like Joes inside as well :D

Wala ring traffic noon.  :thumbsupsmiley:

Nagsimula nang early 70s hanggang Tabang tapos naextend hanggang Dau noong late 70s. There were times that we go to Dau from UP Diliman just to eat honest to goodness American food and buy stuffs like imported T-shirts (amoy US), combat meals and back issues of US magazines. Our travel time then was only an hour one way.

Hindi naman OT, we're just connecting the past to the present.  :cool:

We used to go to my mom's ancestral home in Cabanatuan City and we usually had breakfast at Cafe Valenzuela. I haven't been to Cafe Valenzuela since the Sta. Rita toll opened. I wonder if it's is still open.

Naging usapang parents!!! :D  :D  :D

Can we go back to usapang parents mode? :)

Guys if you have a videocam, I really recommend you take footage your kids, no matter how young or old. The other day, I watched 3-year old footage of my son when he was 10, and it was such a moving experience to hear him talk with such a high pitched, child like voice...you see, at 14 he now has this deep, young man's voice. What a difference a few years makes! I let my wife listen to it and she couldn't believe her ears either.

Such a simple experience, yet so profound.

Manny Pacquiao won!!!!

Reminds me of the Thrilla in Manila.

Manny improved a lot in this fight as compared to his first losing bout to Eric Morales. Ganoon din noon si Ali contra Frazier.

Congrats to the Pacman! :thumbsupsmiley:

Where were you nung Thrilla' in Manila?

Ako 1st year high school, classes were suspended because all the teachers wanted to watch the fight. Naglagay ng black and white TV sa classroom and some 60 people crammed inside to watch.

Ako 1st year high school, classes were suspended because all the teachers wanted to watch the fight. Naglagay ng black and white TV sa classroom and some 60 people crammed inside to watch.

I was only in grade 4 or 5 at that time.... I don't remember actually watching the fight. I do remember that around that time, nauso yung mga boxing puppets bearing the likeness of Ali and Frazier which you manipulate using your index and middle fingers to make them punch. Usually sold by vendors outside our school. But never bought any of those. :unsure:

When exactly was The Thrilla in Manila? 1970 ba? If I recall, I think I was still in grade school then (maybe Gr. 6 or 7?), so, could you have been 1st year HS? Alam ko kasi, mas matanda ako sa yo! :D

Same thing happened in our school, I was in Institucion Teresiana (if that sounds unfamiliar to you, the school is now known as Poveda), we were all allowed to leave the classroom to go to the science lab, where a TV was set up. Just imagine all the "dalagitas" in the yellow/white checkered uniform watching the boxing match intently.