Back To The 70's

If I recall correctly its the 1974 version. :)

I really think it's the 1972 version. I recall that during my freshman year in high school, which was SY 1975-76, my friends and just everyone around wanted to buy the old coins because of their silver content. If the version was just from a year before, it would have been in wide circulation at the time and no one would have had to buy anything from anyone. But really, during my freshman year in HS, they were all after these coins.

We had a Back to the 70s mini Wine Savvy eb with Bods, Liberty, Masi and my wife last Friday night. We had a great time reminiscing about the days of our innocence kuno.

We also had a mini EB at the gallery with SBM. We talked about music, movies and nice places.

:cool: :thumbsupsmiley:

hey pareng storm - I missed the gang last night!

well anyway, the Beatles are properly 60's but I'll share anyway. I got to watch their anthology and the Manila segment there sure mesmerized me, to say the least. I'm sure this anthology has been seen worldwide and I can't imagine the reaction of those who have seen it when Ringo and some of the other Beatles said, "I hate the Philippines" or "I'm never going back there." The anthology documented in great detail their mishap here in 1968 (?) and me as a Pinoy sure felt a touch of kahihiyan when I watched it. The Marcoses and the promoters or whoever sure flubbed that Beatles visit here....

It got me to thinking - maybe that bad experience had an impact on future musicians vis-a-vis their prospects of playing here. I mean if the musicians or the tour promoters or band managers saw what happened to the Beatles, maybe they continue to have second thoughts about coming here. Maybe that's the reason why some superacts fail to include Manila in their Asian tours. We don't have a lack of sponsors here, I guess, but I think they just don't want to end up in misery like what happened to the Beatles. U2 has gone on several Asian tours but never was Manila included in the itinerary. The Eagles have gone a Farewell Tour that included Bangkok, Melbourne and I'm sure some other Asian cities but they did not stop here...

Just my two-cents worth...

Have a nice weekend, folks!

It got me to thinking - maybe that bad experience had an impact on future musicians vis-a-vis their prospects of playing here. I mean if the musicians or the tour promoters or band managers saw what happened to the Beatles, maybe they continue to have second thoughts about coming here. Maybe that's the reason why some superacts fail to include Manila in their Asian tours. We don't have a lack of sponsors here, I guess, but I think they just don't want to end up in misery like what happened to the Beatles. U2 has gone on several Asian tours but never was Manila included in the itinerary. The Eagles have gone a Farewell Tour that included Bangkok, Melbourne and I'm sure some other Asian cities but they did not stop here...

Just my two-cents worth...

I think economics coupled with our natural tendency to attract bad press (if you're a foreigner overseas and CNN is your only source of info about RP, you might think the country is going through a civil war!) would have a far greater bearing.

When Singapore made a bid for the Rolling Stones to include the city-state as part of their farewell tour, the promoters were asked to dish 8 million dollars (USD not SGD) up front. I understand even Singapore had to balk. Imagine if it were here in Manila, very few (if any) could afford to buy the tickets to recoup those stagerring talent fees. I would imagine the talent fees of the likes of U2 might be a little cheaper but still easily worth a couple of million dollars.

And the bad publicity we always get don't help any.

Of late, we seem to be hosting remnants of 70s acts like Spiral Staircase, The Lettermen, etc. which brings me to my next question: May nanood ba nung Sergio Mendez? My wife wanted to watch but we didn't manage to.

I think economics coupled with our natural tendency to attract bad press (if you're a foreigner overseas and CNN is your only source of info about RP, you might think the country is going through a civil war!) would have a far greater bearing.

When Singapore made a bid for the Rolling Stones to include the city-state as part of their farewell tour, the promoters were asked to dish 8 million dollars (USD not SGD) up front.  I understand even Singapore had to balk.  Imagine if it were here in Manila, very few (if any) could afford to buy the tickets to recoup those stagerring talent fees.  I would imagine the talent fees of the likes of U2 might be a little cheaper but still easily worth a couple of million dollars.

Of late, we seem to be hosting remnants of 70s acts like Spiral Staircase, The Lettermen, etc.  which brings me to my next question:  May nanood ba nung Sergio Mendez?  My wife wanted to watch but we didn't manage to.

We saw the free concert of Spiral Starecase but much as we loved to see Sergio Mendez live, we'd rather buy a DVD than watch him perform from the upperbox of the Big Dome.

When Singapore made a bid for the Rolling Stones to include the city-state as part of their farewell tour, the promoters were asked to dish 8 million dollars (USD not SGD) up front.  I understand even Singapore had to balk.  Imagine if it were here in Manila, very few (if any) could afford to buy the tickets to recoup those stagerring talent fees.  I would imagine the talent fees of the likes of U2 might be a little cheaper but still easily worth a couple of million dollars.

Of late, we seem to be hosting remnants of 70s acts like Spiral Staircase, The Lettermen, etc.  which brings me to my next question:  May nanood ba nung Sergio Mendez?  My wife wanted to watch but we didn't manage to.

I think we are in a position to afford a concert of a super act here and I'm sure many can afford it - look at the recent Wrestling show here. Some people were able to fund it and Pinoys lapped up the tickets, the cheapest of which was around P900+ (the highest was an astronomical P10,000!) yet the two shows were sold out. I think the cost of putting up that Wrestling extravaganza was in the neighborhood of P30 million upfront - well peanuts compared to the Rolling Stones' fee but you get the idea - we can afford something expensive here. It's just that Manila has such a bad rep, in the past and definitely in the present.

Also, even though I view with amused eyes the phenomenon of bringing in those geriatric acts here of late, I can't help but admire the keen business eye of the promoter Steve O' Neal. He knows that the fans of those 60's acts are now at the prime of their lives not to mention wealth so he knows that the money will surely be there....ergo, successful shows....

Wondering aloud, would these geriatric acts have roadies as tour companions, or caregivers? :P oops sorry....

I think we are in a position to afford a concert of a super act here and I'm sure many can afford it - look at the recent Wrestling show here. Some people were able to fund it and Pinoys lapped up the tickets, the cheapest of which was around P900+ (the highest was an astronomical P10,000!) yet the two shows were sold out. I think the cost of putting up that Wrestling extravaganza was in the neighborhood of P30 million upfront - well peanuts compared to the Rolling Stones' fee but you get the idea - we can afford something expensive here. It's just that Manila has such a bad rep, in the past and definitely in the present.

I agree. Ticket prices for the WWE stint here were enormous. And according to one poster in the Usapang Wrestling thread, the management of Araneta was so surprised at how fast the tickets sold. I think the problem will be what would be considered a super act. Professional wrestling, for some reason, stretches across generations. Music, well, not quite. For instance, people our age would consider the Rolling Stones a super act. I doubt, however, if my daughters would. I would consider Sergio Mendez a super act, especially with female vocals. On the other hand, I don't think my daughters even know such Sergio Mendez classics as "Like a Lover" and "Pretty World."