Back To The 70's

The Longest Day -- anyone remember how the Longest Day was issued in "TEKS" format? I remember having loads of the playing cards with the Longest Day scenes drawn up.

yeah pare I saw Operation Daybreak in the 70's and it was really heartbreaking - much like Von Ryan's Express with the last scene showing Frank Sinatra chasing futilely at their train with the Germans shooting at his back. While his compatriots made it to the train, Frank did not.

so many memorable war movies then....I can also recall Where Eagles Dare, with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood; Castle Keep with Burt Lancaster....

A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day were based on books by Cornelius Ryan. These were serialized in the Condensed Books Section of Reader's Digest way back then and I remember eagerly awaiting each monthly issue of RD in anticipation of the next installment. The books were quite lengthy so it had to be in installments...Those were the days...

pards do you also remember that other film in sensurround - ROLLERCOASTER - a thriller starring George Segal? Your seats were pounding and shaking and it was as if you were riding the rollercoaster itself.....it gave me quite a thrill back in my teens hehehe

Yup, and as Storm mentioned, yung Earthquake. Had you "quaking" in

anticipation of the first tremor. Ok na rin at the time, better then those

3-D movies which gave me a splitting headache.

Bruce Lee made the short lived Green Hornet series better than it was. The Green Hornet was not much of a character -- even a bit square compared to other super heroes on tv that time. I suppose the concept of a chauffer driven hero did not really appeal much to me. Bruce Lee made it attractive to watch the show---well, not to mention the Green Hornet's car which was also cool.

I liked every one of Bruce Lee's films--but not the Game of Death as it was a total sham. You could feel Bruce Lee rolling in his grave when the put together scraps of film was shown.

Chuck Norris' duel with Bruce Lee is considered a classic and was even voted by one of the leading martial arts magazines as one of the top most 10 memorable fight scenes in movies. Turns out few other real life martial artists were approached by Lee to be his opponent in the movie. All of them --with the exception of Chuck NOrris-- declined saying their careers will suffer when people see their asses kicked by Bruce on screen. Chuck Norris was right in accpeting the role as it led to his own successful Holywood career.

Regards! :D

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/iomega0002/bruce.jpg

Bruce Lee in 'Enter the Dragon' 1973

:headsetsmiley: pareng bods1000 and pareng jt2003 and pareng sallybognamathay, hindi ko kayo nakikita sa aking Pinoy Bisccuits board

si pareng storm at si blackmamba (aka diabolix) lang ang nakakasama ko sa Pinoy Biscuits

heto website address uli ==> http://s9.invisionfree.com/Pinoy_Biscuits

hope to see you all there, maraming topic dun na kakaiba dito sa mtc  ;) hope to see you all there

Chuck Norris' duel with Bruce Lee is considered a classic and was even voted by one of the leading martial arts magazines as one of the top most 10 memorable fight scenes in movies. Turns out few other real life martial artists were approached by Lee to be his opponent in the movie. All of them --with the exception of Chuck NOrris-- declined saying their careers will suffer when people see their asses kicked by Bruce on screen. Chuck Norris was right in accpeting the role as it led to his own successful Holywood career.

Regards! :D

Have you noticed, though, that in a lot of his films, Chuck Norris kicked a lot of Asian ass? Particularly in the "Missing in Action" films and in the non-war films involving the same character. Perhaps Chuck Norris gained some kind of complex by getting his ass kicked (and chest hair pulled) in "The Way of the Dragon" that he had to make up for it by kicking Asian ass in his later films.

Another one of Bruce Lee's great opponents was Bob Wall.

Edited by jt2003
Matanda na rin si Augustmoon. 40+ na rin. Taga UP rin. Siguro nagpang-abot tayo sa Peyups.

:lol:

Yup. 40+ and happy to be !!! :-) Malamang nag-abot tayo nila Bods sa UP. Dapat siguro mag start ng thread ng mga UP memories ng 70's to 80's.... and to be able to join, kailangan, magsabi ng student number.

Naabutan niyo ba ang UP GYM noong nasa tapat pa ng IC and UP Chapel and what is then known as the Drive-In? E 'iyung hotdog sandwich with nagmamantikang mayonnaise ni manang sa Basement canteen (tambayan ng Upsilon) ng then tinatawag na AS? Siguro naman alam niyo rin ang inuman sa UP Vill.na Nanettes??

The best Memory ko of watching movies in the Cubao area is smelling JOLLIBEE while (they literally place their exhaust fans near the ticket booth) making pila for tickets. Lahay yata ng moviehouses da Aurora may katabing Jollibee. Masarap rin mag-baon ng C&M Siopao o doughnuts.

My girlfriends and I had a heydey watching those disco movies... Saturday Night Fever and Thank God its Friday... and the best love story Evergreen... ay naku!! Having a wonderful senior moment here!! :-)

Yup. 40+ and happy to be !!! :-) Malamang nag-abot tayo nila Bods sa UP.  Dapat siguro mag start ng thread ng mga UP memories ng 70's to 80's.... and to be able to join, kailangan, magsabi ng student number.

Naabutan niyo ba ang UP GYM noong nasa tapat pa ng IC and UP Chapel and what is then known as the Drive-In?  E 'iyung hotdog sandwich with nagmamantikang mayonnaise ni manang sa Basement canteen  (tambayan ng Upsilon) ng then tinatawag na AS? Siguro naman alam niyo rin ang inuman sa UP Vill.na Nanettes??

Ms. Augustmoon, I don't visit the UP thread that much anymore. Where were you based at UP? I was at the College of Business Administration, and before that at AS when there was still an AS.

And yes, I loved Nanettes! Inuman sa garahe ng isang bahay.

Yup. 40+ and happy to be !!! :-) Malamang nag-abot tayo nila Bods sa UP.  Dapat siguro mag start ng thread ng mga UP memories ng 70's to 80's.... and to be able to join, kailangan, magsabi ng student number.

Naabutan niyo ba ang UP GYM noong nasa tapat pa ng IC and UP Chapel and what is then known as the Drive-In?  E 'iyung hotdog sandwich with nagmamantikang mayonnaise ni manang sa Basement canteen  (tambayan ng Upsilon) ng then tinatawag na AS? Siguro naman alam niyo rin ang inuman sa UP Vill.na Nanettes??

alam namin lahat yan - basta walang sabihan ng student number ha :P

yeah I was surprised when I saw the UP Gym now in its present location. Many happy memories dyan sa lumang UP Gym. First PE ko swimming. Teacher ko si Fajardo - I think he was a former basketball coach and all he did was instruct us to go jump into the pool and he whiled away the time playing chess with his assistant leaving us to do whatever we liked in the pool. Dyan nga ako sa UP pool nakakuha ng mumps eh :angry:

What I remembered dyan sa basement na yan were the conyo kids of Upsilon hanging out and the nagmamantika ding hamburger ni manang.

What's the AS now called?

Hindi kami uminom dyan sa Nannete's. Dun kami nainom sa isang tindahan sa may VetMed saka dun sa Balara - sa may terminal ng mga jeep. Pagkainom punta na ko sa Main Libe para matulog :P

Bagong tayo pa lang nun yun School of Eco saka yung College of BA - madalas kaming tumambay na mga Eng dun kasi madaming chiks hehehe in fact despite being an IE it was the UP Junior Finance Assoc. which I joined. :lol:

yeah I was surprised when I saw the UP Gym now in its present location. Many happy memories dyan sa lumang UP Gym. First PE ko swimming. Teacher ko si Fajardo - I think he was a former basketball coach and all he did was instruct us to go jump into the pool and he whiled away the time playing chess with his assistant leaving us to do whatever we liked in the pool. Dyan nga ako sa UP pool nakakuha ng mumps eh :angry: What's the AS now called?

Bagong tayo pa lang nun yun School of Eco saka yung College of BA - madalas kaming tumambay na mga Eng dun kasi madaming chiks hehehe in fact despite being an IE it was the UP Junior Finance Assoc. which I joined. :lol:

Fely Fajardo taught swimming? My first PE course (1979) was basketball under Fely Fajardo. I believe that he was an Olympian during our glory days in basketball. Grabe. Ang bagsik. Apparently, basketball mattered a lot more to him than swimming. Even with the drills, he was very strict. He actually said to me (scolded, really), "Paano ka magiging player n'yan?" when I made a mistake in the drills.

AS? Three colleges now. Can't quite recall the exact names, but I'll try: Arts and Letters, Science, & Social Science and Philosophy.

And also, I was with JMA. Alam yan ni pareng Storm.

The best Memory ko of watching movies in the Cubao area is smelling JOLLIBEE while (they literally place their exhaust fans near the ticket booth) making pila for tickets.  Lahay yata ng moviehouses da Aurora may katabing Jollibee.  Masarap rin mag-baon ng C&M Siopao o doughnuts.

My girlfriends and I had a heydey watching those disco movies... Saturday Night Fever and Thank God its Friday... and the best love story Evergreen... ay naku!! Having a wonderful senior moment here!! :-)

C&M Siopao! Katabi ng mga sinehan sa aurora. We'd always buy

those para i-baon. Had the best asado siopao.

Fely Fajardo taught swimming?  My first PE course (1979) was basketball under Fely Fajardo.  I believe that he was an Olympian during our glory days in basketball.  Grabe.  Ang bagsik.  Apparently, basketball mattered a lot more to him than swimming.  Even with the drills, he was very strict.  He actually said to me (scolded, really), "Paano ka magiging player n'yan?" when I made a mistake in the drills.

AS?  Three colleges now.  Can't quite recall the exact names, but I'll try: Arts and Letters, Science, & Social Science and Philosophy.

And also, I was with JMA.  Alam yan ni pareng Storm.

might not have been Fely but could be one of the Fajardo brothers...

hehehe wala yatang JFA dito kaya walang makakakilala sa akin :P

hoy! parang walang narinig ang mga to ah , mas maganda ang board ko

peace  :lol:

seriously, lahat ng mga pinaguusapan nyo dito lahat nasa board ko at meron pang pictures, dito wala  :blink:

hehehe pareng anaheim, kaya pala parang may kulang sa thread - wala na palang naglalagay ng pictures dito! kayo lang ni blackmamba ang mahilig maglagay ng mga yun - I kinda miss looking at those old pictures...

Ms. Augustmoon, I don't visit the UP thread that much anymore.  Where were you based at UP?  I was at the College of Business Administration, and before that at AS when there was still an AS.

And yes, I loved Nanettes!  Inuman sa garahe ng isang bahay.

Hi JT,

I was in UP the time you were there. My college base was in IMC (Mass Comm) after shifting from Clothing Tech (Home Economics). I am sure we shared the Sunken gardens (for ROTC) on one of those boring Saturday afternoons. I was a Corp pf Sponsors only for a year (never again after). If you were in the Corp of Sponsor parade that got rained out in '79 I was there. :-)

I enjoyed my UP days immensely!!! after coming from an all girls exclusive school from Nursery, UP was great. I got drunk, smoked my first joint and necked in the AS second level parking lot on my first semester. Imagine !!!

To be young in the 70's... akala natin wild na yung mga ginangawa natin...compare it now and what the young do ..sus!! WHOLESOME pa rin tayo !

alam namin lahat yan - basta walang sabihan ng student number ha :P

yeah I was surprised when I saw the UP Gym now in its present location. Many happy memories dyan sa lumang UP Gym. First PE ko swimming. Teacher ko si Fajardo - I think he was a former basketball coach and all he did was instruct us to go jump into the pool and he whiled away the time playing chess with his assistant leaving us to do whatever we liked in the pool. Dyan nga ako sa UP pool nakakuha ng mumps eh :angry:

What I remembered dyan sa basement na yan were the conyo kids of Upsilon hanging out and the nagmamantika ding hamburger ni manang.

What's the AS now called?

Hindi kami uminom dyan sa Nannete's. Dun kami nainom sa isang tindahan sa may VetMed saka dun sa Balara - sa may terminal ng mga jeep. Pagkainom punta na ko sa Main Libe para matulog :P

Bods,...asar lang ang student number kung delayed ka... alam ng lahat ng classmates mo (lalo na sa Gen subjects kung hindi ka nila batch..lalo na if you join the block classes (at pasg SN ang ginagamit sa exemption list. I experienced that being a shifter. I graduated October (even after taking all the summers) and i felt very bad... but if I knew then what I know now na masarap buhay student...baka nagpa MRR pa ako.

Bods, JT and Storm....sino ang Spanish teacher niyo? I had the famous Senora Ventanilla and the infamous Senora Arespacochaga... :-)

I am sure may memories kayo ng late '70's drag races dyan sa Greenhills shopping Center.... I can't forget being there for the first (and only) time...when (then) Mayor Estrada came and closed all the gates of Greehills... kasama ang SJ police to break up the races.

I also can't forget the endless debuts and cotillions that was de rigeur then. Imagine going to Where Else or Stargazer in your gowns after a debut??? Talk about formal.

Bods,...asar lang ang student number kung delayed ka... alam ng lahat ng classmates mo (lalo na sa Gen subjects kung hindi ka nila batch..lalo na if you join the block classes (at pasg SN ang ginagamit sa exemption list.  I experienced that being a shifter.  I graduated October (even after taking all the summers) and i felt very bad... but if I knew then what I know now na masarap buhay student...baka nagpa MRR pa ako.

Bods, JT and Storm....sino ang Spanish teacher niyo?  I had the famous Senora Ventanilla and the infamous Senora Arespacochaga... :-)

I avoided Arespacochaga...pag registration dun, the catchword is that pag mahaba pangalan ng teacher, sigurado terror yun, so unahan kami dun sa maiigsi pangalan :P like uhmm...aaahh nakalimutan ko na sa tagal :(

masarap talaga buhay dun in fact I took my course in 6 years :P :P :P no summers for me...

interesting initial course you had - did you have plans on entering the fashion business?

Yeah, alam ko lahat iyan. And maybe magkakilala tayo kung naging tambay Wherelse ka rin. I was in BS Psychology in the 70s. Kaya kung MassComm ka ay alam mo yung Psych Library na tambayan ng Psych Soc sa AS. Marami rin akong naging barkadang MassCom. I knew Loren L before. Ewan ko lang kung matandaan pa ko nun. :D

Paboritong laro noon sa UP ay spades, trumps or bridge.

Paboritong kainan sa Shopping Center ay Rodics. Masarap ding kumain sa Alumni Center, Tea Room at ang famous Area na smorgasbord ang rice. Favorite naman noon sa Katipunan ay ang Kampo. Madalas din kaming kumain sa Mother's along EDSA at sa Red Ribbon sa kanto ng Quezon ave. and Timog.

Bods,...asar lang ang student number kung delayed ka... alam ng lahat ng classmates mo (lalo na sa Gen subjects kung hindi ka nila batch..lalo na if you join the block classes (at pasg SN ang ginagamit sa exemption list.  I experienced that being a shifter.  I graduated October (even after taking all the summers) and i felt very bad... but if I knew then what I know now na masarap buhay student...baka nagpa MRR pa ako.

Bods, JT and Storm....sino ang Spanish teacher niyo?  I had the famous Senora Ventanilla and the infamous Senora Arespacochaga... :-)

Nagtapos ako ng dalawang course kaya even though 7*-***** ang student number ko ay umabot ako hanggang 85 jan sa UP.

My Spanish teacher was Madrigal, Sailing and the famous Botor. :cool:

I had a very colorful life in UP. Nag-enjoy talaga ako jan. Marami akong naging karanasan jan na maituturing wholesome ngayon :evil: :hypocritesmiley:

Hello, Ms. Augustmoon.

I wish I could remember the names of my Spanish teachers, but I can't. The first always smoked KOOL cigarettes. She was also our block adviser.

And yes, I was there at the 1979 Sponsors' Parade when it rained. I shivered like hell. But we were all more concerned about our sponsor, because it was really so cold because of the rain. At least we were in fatigues. She was in a lovely white dress. Our sponsor was really pretty. I was initially assigned to Rayadillo, but with the help of the Student Council I was able to get transferred to a different company, which assembled every Saturday afternoon outside the UP Theater.

Yeah, alam ko lahat iyan. And maybe magkakilala tayo kung naging tambay Wherelse ka rin. I was in BS Psychology in the 70s. Kaya kung MassComm ka ay alam mo yung Psych Library na tambayan ng Psych Soc sa AS. Marami rin akong naging barkadang MassCom. I knew Loren L before. Ewan ko lang kung matandaan pa ko nun.  :D

Paboritong laro noon sa UP ay spades, trumps or bridge.

Paboritong kainan sa Shopping Center ay Rodics. Masarap ding kumain sa Alumni Center, Tea Room at ang famous Area na smorgasbord ang rice. Favorite naman noon sa Katipunan ay ang Kampo. Madalas din kaming kumain sa Mother's along EDSA at sa Red Ribbon sa kanto ng Quezon ave. and Timog.

I was not much of a disco-DUCK then. It was just the last stop we had afyer coming from those utterly-pretetious debuts...at sino ba ang hindi nakaka-baba sa famous stairs ng where else? :-)

Naabutan ko pa si Loren in IMC. She was THAT popular then..Noon pa lang you know she would go places.

Backgammon was our favorite board game..the Tong-its came much later. :-)

Lahat ng kainan na iyan alam ko. I specially like the Lechon kawali rice in Kampo. I even remember MOther's having a DISCO then? right.

I am pretty sure we have common friends in our circle. If you were a tambay in the Lobby, AS steps, or PL on your first two years in UP we must've bumped into each other then.

Hello, Ms. Augustmoon.

I wish I could remember the names of my Spanish teachers, but I can't.  The first always smoked KOOL cigarettes.  She was also our block adviser.

And yes, I was there at the 1979 Sponsors' Parade when it rained.  I shivered like hell.  But we were all more concerned about our sponsor, because it was really so cold because of the rain.  At least we were in fatigues.  She was in a lovely white dress.  Our sponsor was really pretty.  I was initially assigned to Rayadillo, but with the help of the Student Council I was able to get transferred to a different company, which assembled every Saturday afternoon outside the UP Theater.

I can never forget that rainy Saturday afternoon. My first and only time to don the wet look. It was so amusing. Even the wolf-whistles in hindsight, seem to be cool. :-)

I avoided Arespacochaga...pag registration dun, the catchword is that pag mahaba pangalan ng teacher, sigurado terror yun,  so unahan kami dun sa maiigsi pangalan :P like uhmm...aaahh nakalimutan ko na sa tagal :(

masarap talaga buhay dun in fact I took my course in 6 years :P  :P  :P no summers for me...

interesting initial course you had - did you have plans on entering the fashion business?

Bods,

Six years was REGULAR for most UP students. :P

I took CT first because it seemed to be different. And it was a non-quota course I thought I was easy...not till the CHEM subject came..Out na ako.

Summers was an excuse to have continuous allowance even if half the day you were in your friends house. :goatee:

I guess the common reason a lot of us spent so many years at UP was that, well, we never wanted to leave. Those were really such good times. In other schools, they wanted to graduate in three years instead of four. For us at UP, we wanted to stay for six instead or four, or seven instead of five. I don't quite know how it is these days.