Back To The 70's

Hehehe, pareng bods. I just read a spoiler on the film. The Steve McQueen character (Hilts) was indeed recaptured. Unlike the others who were killed, he was brought back to the camp. You owe me those four beers. :D

But it was fun reading all that trivia about "The Great Escape." I didn't realize that it really happened. Of course, certain things were changed, but there was actually such an escape. And as in the film, only three made it through. Charles Bronson even became kind of a consultant in the digging part of the film because of his background as a coal miner.

Oops, sorry. 1963 yung "The Great Escape." Sa 36&Up thread pala natin pinag-usapan 'to.

Edited by jt2003
Hehehe, pareng bods.  I just read a spoiler on the film. The Steve McQueen character (Hilts) was indeed recaptured.  Unlike the others who were killed, he was brought back to the camp. You owe me those four beers.  :D

But it was fun reading all that trivia about "The Great Escape."  I didn't realize that it really happened.  Of course, certain things were changed, but there was actually such an escape.  And as in the film, only three made it through. Charles Bronson even became kind of a consultant in the digging part of the film because of his background as a coal miner.

Oops, sorry. 1963 yung "The Great Escape."  Sa 36&Up thread pala natin pinag-usapan 'to.

pards parang gustong-gusto mo talagang manalo sa pustahan natin -niresearch mo pa :P

hehehehe....

Another war film which I remembered seeing on TV back in the 70's was VON RYAN'S EXPRESS - about an Allied team on a mission inside enemy lines. Well I can't recall the exact story...The only reason why the film sticks to my memory was the ending. The team was on its way back - out of the enemy lines and everybody was able to board the train except for Frank Sinatra - who was their leader. The scene was so poignant because Frank Sinatra was running after the train, trying desperately to grab the railings, with the others also trying to stretch their arms to reach him. The train was running faster and it was hopeless. The Germans were chasing after the train trying to shoot at Frank...in the end Frank Sinatra didn't make it...

Wow, mga pareng 70s. 111 pages na tayo.

Sige pagdating ni SBN, eb na ulit nang magkita naman finally si Bods at si JT.

Pulos bakbakan films ang pinag-uusapan. Bumili ako ng dvd ng The Godfather at pinanood ko ulit pati yung mga behind the scenes. Pati yung mga screen test nila.

Kung sino man ang mananalo sa pustahan ng beer, pabalato lang ako ng isa. :cool:

Nung 70s, lalo na nung 1974-75, tuwang-tuwa ako noon kasi pinapapasok na ko sa mga for adults only movies. Ibig sabihin ay mukha na akong matanda.

Ngayon naman, nakakatuwa kung mapagkamalan ka pang early 30s lang.

Kapag bata gusto magmukhang matanda, kapag matanda naman, gusto magmukhang bata.

Pero mas masarap siguro ang batang isip. :P

Pulos bakbakan films ang pinag-uusapan. Bumili ako ng dvd ng The Godfather at pinanood ko ulit pati yung mga behind the scenes. Pati yung mga screen test nila.

Naku, pareng Storm. Binanggit mo pa yung "The Godfather." E wala akong kasawa-sawa doon. Tandang-tanda ko pa yung mga linya. Kahit yung "The Godfather II." E noong 70s, wala pang Betamax (kung mayroon man, konti lang ang mayroon) kaya di ko napanood. "For adults only" kasi at strikto mga cinehan noon. Noon nagkaroon kami ng Beta tapos nakakuha kami ng tape ng "The Godfather," parang event sa bahay. Hanggang ngayon, tuwing ipalabas sa cable ang "The Godfather," pinapanood ko pa rin.

Wow, mga pareng 70s. 111 pages na tayo.

Sige pagdating ni SBN, eb na ulit nang magkita naman finally si Bods at si JT.

Kung sino man ang mananalo sa pustahan ng beer, pabalato lang ako ng isa. :cool:

Nung 70s, lalo na nung 1974-75, tuwang-tuwa ako noon kasi pinapapasok na ko sa mga for adults only movies. Ibig sabihin ay mukha na akong matanda.

Ngayon naman, nakakatuwa kung mapagkamalan ka pang early 30s lang.

Kapag bata gusto magmukhang matanda, kapag matanda naman, gusto magmukhang bata.

Pero mas masarap siguro ang batang isip. :P

sure pare!

well February na - malapit na balik ni sbm :P

we gotta meet up again, guys...

Naku, pareng Storm.  Binanggit mo pa yung "The Godfather."  E wala akong kasawa-sawa doon.  Tandang-tanda ko pa yung mga linya.  Kahit yung "The Godfather II."  E noong 70s, wala pang Betamax (kung mayroon man, konti lang ang mayroon) kaya di ko napanood.  "For adults only" kasi at strikto mga cinehan noon.  Noon nagkaroon kami ng Beta tapos nakakuha kami ng tape ng "The Godfather," parang event sa bahay.  Hanggang ngayon, tuwing ipalabas sa cable ang "The Godfather," pinapanood ko pa rin.

I believe it was said that GODFATHER 2 was the only sequel that was better than the original, and to think that GODFATHER 1 was already one heck of a movie...I think both films won Best Picture awards.

De Niro as the young Vito Corleone was simply terrific....

Speaking of Robert De Niro, I love his TAXI DRIVER film - great great film by Scorsese - the atmostphere, the acting, the music score by Bernard Herrmann....

....you talkin' to me? you talkin' to me?

can't forget how the skinhead DeNiro uttered those lines in front of a mirror while brandishing his pistols....

for all its bleakness, the film had a happy ending - with De Niro turning out to be a hero of sorts..

I believe it was said that GODFATHER 2 was the only sequel that was better than the original, and to think that GODFATHER 1 was already one heck of a movie...I think both films won Best Picture awards.

De Niro as the young Vito Corleone was simply terrific....

Speaking of Robert De Niro, I love his TAXI DRIVER  film - great great film by Scorsese - the atmostphere, the acting, the music score by Bernard Herrmann....

....you talkin' to me? you talkin' to me?

can't forget how the skinhead DeNiro uttered those lines in front of a mirror while brandishing his pistols....

for all its bleakness, the film had a happy ending - with De Niro turning out to be a hero of sorts..

Perhaps what made "The Godfather II" better (that's still debatable, though) was that it chronicled the rise of Vito Corleone. It wasn't so much about Michael as it was about Vito ("The Godfather" was more about Michael). I agree that De Niro was excellent there. He won an Oscar for that performance, didn't he? Supporting actor, I think.

I remember that when "Taxi Driver" was released in our beloved PI, everybody was talking not about Robert De Niro, but Jodie Foster. Who would have thought that Jodie Foster would look more beautiful these days than she did then. Hehehe. Sorry. I have this thing for Jodie Foster.

Perhaps what made "The Godfather II" better (that's still debatable, though) was that it chronicled the rise of Vito Corleone.  It wasn't so much about Michael as it was about Vito ("The Godfather" was more about Michael).  I agree that De Niro was excellent there.  He won an Oscar for that performance, didn't he?  Supporting actor, I think.

I remember that when "Taxi Driver" was released in our beloved PI, everybody was talking not about Robert De Niro, but Jodie Foster.  Who would have thought that Jodie Foster would look more beautiful these days than she did then.  Hehehe.  Sorry.  I have this thing for Jodie Foster.

yup DeNiro won an Oscar for that....

kaya naman pinag-usapan si Jodie Foster sa Taxi driver was because of her role - that of a 14(?) year old prostitute and she got to wear this really skimpy attire for that film...I like her better though in Silence of the Lambs - she was so beautiful there...

remember there was also Tatum O'Neal in Paper Moon - she won a Supporting Actress award there - she was pretty even at that young age...

Pero, The Godfather III pales in comparison with the first 2, just like in The Matrix.

I also like Jodie Foster. I like women with brains. Bonus na lang yung beauty.

Sige, balitaan nyo ko sa next eb natin. Kung hindi corona kahit negra oks na rin.

yeah pare - pangit na yung III. Coppola should not have made that....

puro beer na pinag-uusapan natin ah - mukhang matutuloy na :cool:

All I remember about the 70's is that, they made parade carrying placards showing how good the martial law and Ang Bagong Lipunan.

They also made us sing the theme song of the "Ang Bagong Lipunan".

I was in 2nd grade when Marcos declared martial law.

I remember our eldest brother getting jailed for wearing a long hair then.

PEACE MEN! PEACE MEN!! PEACE MEN!!!

All I remember about the 70's is that, they made parade carrying placards showing how good the martial law and Ang Bagong Lipunan.

They also made us sing the theme song of the "Ang Bagong Lipunan".

I remember our eldest brother getting jailed for wearing a long hair then.

PEACE MEN!  PEACE MEN!!  PEACE MEN!!!

Noong araw nga, napaka-pamilyar yung NMPC. National Media Production Center. Yun ang gumagawa ng mga clips na pumupuri sa "Bagong Lipunan" na ipinalalabas sa mga cinehan. Noong araw, ang unang pakita sa mga cihehan, mga alas-otso ng umaga (Hindi pa kasi uso ang mall na nagbubukas ng 10:00 a.m.) At doon madalas ipinapakita yung mga gawa ng NMPC. Nasa Grade 4 ata ako noong idinekrala ang martial law.

They also made us sing the theme song of the "Ang Bagong Lipunan"

...Madaling araw may nagnanakaw

Ng manok sa kulungan

Dumating ang may-ari

Pinukpok ng kawali

May bagong buhay . . .

Pards, grade 2 rin ako nun. Magkasing-edad siguro tayo :unsure:

But before martial law, I remember the rallies. Eskwelahan namin malapit lang sa Malacañang kaya kung minsan, pati bintana ng classrooms namin tinatamaan ng bato kapag nagkaka-batuhan na!

[

But before martial law, I remember the rallies.  Eskwelahan namin malapit lang sa Malacañang kaya kung minsan, pati bintana ng classrooms namin tinatamaan ng bato kapag nagkaka-batuhan na!

[

Before martial law, I remember going to Congress. Grandfather ko kasi, politician. Noong araw, there was the Lower House (House of Representatives) and the Upper House (Senate), which names were based solely on location in the same building. I distinctly recall the broken windows in that building. What an enduring memory. Nagsisimula na ang gulo noon.

buti pa kayoh, bosses magaling and jt - i was in kindergarten when macky declared martial law....

an uncle in the WPD intervened in time to stop macky from closing mapua, as it was beset by rallies and demos. my uncle was a ce grad there (basket kaya nag-pulis) before emigrating to the us in the late 70s. as mit was under his jurisdiction, macky let my uncle take 'custody' of the school. so lumalabas bida pa pala ang angkol ko na yon (at least to the mapuas) na walang ginawa kundi kumbinsihin akong mag tnt sa calif, erferferf.....