Back To The 70's

Noong unang basa, pareng Storm, akala ko pag-uusapan mo si Bobby Fischer.  One of the most memorable 70s (1972?) sporting events (although most US publications don't consider chess as a sport) was that Fischer-Spassky match-up for the world championship.  Once it was over, there were books and pamphlets all around analyzing the games.  One unforgettable pic was that of Fischer covering his face with both hands while waiting for Spassky's move.

as someone who plays the game and used to follow it, i remember that...fischer completely outclassed spassky in reyjavik...parang the cold war on a chessboard. i read recently that fischer was detained in tokyo on his way to manila. seems the us wants him extradited for violating the sanctions imposed on bosnia after travelling there and playing a few matches. i also remember the karpov-korchnoi championship in baguio, and the controversies surrounding it. the building where they played is now abandoned...sayang. i have always considered eugene torre as the best pinoy sportsman, especially since he was asia's first grandmaster. he reached the quarterfinals of the chess championships sometime in the late 70s or early 80s yata

i have always considered eugene torre as the best pinoy sportsman, especially since he was asia's first grandmaster. he reached the quarterfinals of the chess championships sometime in the late 70s or early 80s yata

Pareng sbm, that was a great day in PI when Torre became a GM during the 70s. We were all so proud then. He was on the front pages of all the three newspapers. It was in the 80s that he reached the quarterfinals of the world championships. His opponent then was the Indian GM Anand. Torre lost, and it was heart-breaking. According to some analysts, Torre lacked the "gigil" needed for such match-ups. It's just too bad he never had another chance to use what he must have learned from that experience.

Pareng sbm, that was a great day in PI when Torre became a GM during the 70s.  We were all so proud then.  He was on the front pages of all the three newspapers.  It was in the 80s that he reached the quarterfinals of the world championships.  His opponent then was the Indian GM Anand.  Torre lost, and it was heart-breaking. According to some analysts, Torre lacked the "gigil" needed for such match-ups.  It's just too bad he never had another chance to use what he must have learned from that experience.

pare if I may correct you and my memory does not fail me, his opponent in that world chess Candidates' Match was the Hungarian GM - Zoltan Ribli - to which he lost badly. There were a lot of great Hungarian GMs then - Portisch, Svetozar Gligoric, Sax...ang mga magagaling na Pinoy nuon sina Mascarinas, Rodolfo Tan Cardoso, Renato Naranja, Glicerio Badilles, Balinas...Torre's emergence gave new life to the Philippine chess scene in the 70's...

Anand learned chess here in the Philippines because he lived as a child somewhere yata in Singalong...may chess show dati si Campomanes sa Ch.5 at palaging nananalo sa mga chess problems nuon yung batang si Anand.

pare if I may correct you and my memory does not fail me, his opponent in that world chess Candidates' Match was the Hungarian GM - Zoltan Ribli - to which he lost badly. There were a lot of great Hungarian GMs then - Portisch, Svetozar Gligoric, Sax...ang mga magagaling na Pinoy nuon sina Mascarinas, Rodolfo Tan Cardoso, Renato Naranja, Glicerio Badilles, Balinas...Torre's emergence gave new life to the Philippine chess scene in the 70's...

Anand learned chess here in the Philippines because he lived as a child somewhere yata in Singalong...may chess show dati si Campomanes sa Ch.5 at palaging nananalo sa mga chess problems nuon yung batang si Anand.

Naku, I stand corrected. I'd practically forgotten about Ribli. Yes, I believe it was Ribli. Si Anand lagi kasi ko naiisip dahil nalampasan niya si Torre in terms of stature of Asians in the chess world.

Edited by jt2003

By the way, since there are chess afficionados in this group, why does Bobby Fischer like to come to the Philippines? Some years ago, there were reports that he was here (but there were no reports during the time he was actually here). Then, of course, there's that recent controversy about extradition and his being on his way to Manila when he was arrested in Tokyo. It just makes me wonder why a loner and a recluse like Fischer would want to come to the Philippines, where he's practically idolized.

By the way, since there are chess afficionados in this group, why does Bobby Fischer like to come to the Philippines?  Some years ago, there were reports that he was here (but there were no reports during the time he was actually here).  Then, of course, there's that recent controversy about extradition and his being on his way to Manila when he was arrested in Tokyo.  It just makes me wonder why a loner and a recluse like Fischer would want to come to the Philippines, where he's practically idolized.

Torre is, and remains a close friend and confidante of Fischer - Torre even acted as Fischer's second in that one-on-one match Fishcer had a few years ago (I forgot with whom - kay Spassky yata parang exhibition). Siguro parang vacation lang nya dito anyway nandito naman si Torre na kaibigan nya.

Torre is, and remains a close friend and confidante of Fischer - Torre even acted as Fischer's second in that one-on-one match Fishcer had a few years ago (I forgot with whom - kay Spassky yata parang exhibition). Siguro parang vacation lang nya dito anyway nandito naman si Torre na kaibigan nya.

Pareng bods, di kaya yun yung match nila kung bakit siya hinahabol ngayon ng US government? According to the last reports I've read, Fischer has renounced (verbally anyway) his US citizenship. A lot of Filipinos would probably welcome him here. Yun nga lang, I don't think he'll find any solitude in our beloved PI. He's a legend here.

Pareng bods, di kaya yun yung match nila kung bakit siya hinahabol ngayon ng US government?  According to the last reports I've read, Fischer has renounced (verbally anyway) his US citizenship.  A lot of Filipinos would probably welcome him here.  Yun nga lang, I don't think he'll find any solitude in our beloved PI.  He's a legend here.

yes I think that was the match which got him in trouble with the US government. Ok lang naman siguro if he's here kasi wala din namang makakaalam - he's been in and out of Manila for the past several years apparently...

Sayang din si Fischer - may topak nga lang. He could have become world champion for a long time had he not disputed the rules in his defense of the crown. Aside from the young Kasparov the others who came after him were not that exciting in their play.

pare, another common denominator among the 70's members...chess! yes, it was ribli. a slight correction if you will allow me. svetozar gligoric is yugoslavian. another great pawnpusher from that former country is ljubjomir ljubojevic (hope i spelled that correctly). goodness, i haven't played chess in ages. i used to read a lot of raul capablanca and alexander alekhine and the then invincible mikhail tal. in fact, i once even contemplated a career as a chess player, having been inspired by torre (how apt that his name means castle, or rook). i believe balinas has passed away from cancer. he and campo apparently made up just before he left the world.

lest we get out of topic, remember the chess puzzles on the corners of streets and bus stops in cubao in the 70's? you were given three moves to mate the king. you could bet any amount. i heard a rumor then that these puzzles were created by torre himself on a discarded notebook which someone accidentally discovered and photocopied.

By the way, since there are chess afficionados in this group, why does Bobby Fischer like to come to the Philippines?  Some years ago, there were reports that he was here (but there were no reports during the time he was actually here).  Then, of course, there's that recent controversy about extradition and his being on his way to Manila when he was arrested in Tokyo.  It just makes me wonder why a loner and a recluse like Fischer would want to come to the Philippines, where he's practically idolized.

well, bods is probably right. i think fischer was impressed by torre when the latter was one of his seconds. besides, i'm sure fischer knows he can get lost in any of rp's 7,000 islands. he sure is a strange character. of jewish ancestry but anti-semitic. maybe he is just too intelligent kaya sumayad na. or maybe this is just a facade, a disguise to catch his opponents and detractors off guard. remember his impossible demands? i have always wondered what a a dream match it would be between him and kasparov. any news if he has been extradited yet?

pare, another common denominator among the 70's members...chess! yes, it was ribli. a slight correction if you will allow me. svetozar gligoric is yugoslavian. another great pawnpusher from that former country is ljubjomir ljubojevic (hope i spelled that correctly). goodness, i haven't played chess in ages. i used to read a lot of raul capablanca and alexander alekhine and the then invincible mikhail tal. in fact, i once even contemplated a career as a chess player, having been inspired by torre (how apt that his name means castle, or rook). i believe balinas has passed away from cancer. he and campo apparently made up just before he left the world.

lest we get out of topic, remember the chess puzzles on the corners of streets and bus stops in cubao in the 70's? you were given three moves to mate the king. you could bet any amount. i heard a rumor then that these puzzles were created by torre himself on a discarded notebook which someone accidentally discovered and photocopied.

pare you are correct! Gligoric is Yugoslavian and yes you got the spelling right - hehehe buti hindi nakita ni pareng jt yung mali ko kundi patas na sana kami :P I was thinking of Adorjan - who is also Hungarian.

I haven't played chess too for ages - saka I also read books because I was under this illusion before that I can be a competitive chessplayer hahaha...

Yes pare dun sa ilalim ng overpass sa Aurora madaming nagpapalaro - raket lang ito kasi pag masosolve mo na may manggugulo kunware. Hindi ka naman makakapalag kasi puro mga amuyong nila nakapaligid sa iyo :P

Street chess is where Garma and Antonio honed their chess talents before they hit it big nationally. Joey Antonio was the king of the Luneta woodpushers - madaming ganun sa Luneta din dati.

well, bods is probably right. i think fischer was impressed by torre when the latter was one of his seconds. besides, i'm sure fischer knows he can get lost in any of rp's 7,000 islands. he sure is a strange character. of jewish ancestry but anti-semitic. maybe he is just too intelligent kaya sumayad na. or maybe this is just a facade, a disguise to catch his opponents and detractors off guard. remember his impossible demands? i have always wondered what a a dream match it would be between him and kasparov. any news if he has been extradited yet?

His demands then consisted, if I'm not mistaken, of a Championship Match of a limited duration - say 12 games where draws don't count - yung yatang format nuon unlimited matches until the player who first wins 6 games is declared the champion. Ayaw nya nun...He was proven right because in the first Championship Match between Karpov and Kasparov umabot yata ng 56 games and several months hanggang itinigil na lang yung mga laro dahil tied at hindi matapos-tapos :P

I have a book about that classic K-K first match at talagang grabe - nauna yatang lumamang si Karpov tapos humabol si Kasparov nung mga 32ng game tapos wala nang manalo hanggang huli...Campomanes then who was the FIDE chief and who was a friend of Karpov suddenly stopped the Match. Kasparov was enraged dahil nakuha na nya ang momentum and he could sense na nanghihina na si Karpov physically :P

His demands then consisted, if I'm not mistaken, of a Championship Match of a limited duration - say 12 games where draws don't count - yung yatang format nuon unlimited matches until the player who first wins 6 games is declared the champion. Ayaw nya nun...He was proven right because in the first Championship Match between Karpov and Kasparov umabot yata ng 56 games and several months hanggang itinigil na lang yung mga laro dahil tied at hindi matapos-tapos  :P

I have a book about that classic K-K first match at talagang grabe - nauna yatang lumamang si Karpov tapos humabol si Kasparov nung mga 32ng game tapos wala nang manalo hanggang huli...Campomanes then who was the FIDE chief and who was a friend of Karpov suddenly stopped the Match. Kasparov was enraged dahil nakuha na nya ang momentum and he could sense na nanghihina na si Karpov physically :P

I remember that Kasparov was so furious that he was shouting during the press conference. That was the second time that Campomanes, during his reign as FIDE chief, protected Karpov. Back in 1979, in Baguio, when Korchnoi had gained momentum against Karpov with the help of his Ananda Marga friends (just spiritual help, so that he could concentrate better), Campomanes barred the Ananda Marga from the center where the matches were being held. And lo and behold, Karpov won the deciding game shortly after that. During that time, Campomanes referred to an "insult" that Korchnoi supposedly made. Anyone know what that was? I can still remember that photo with Korchnoi laughing while Campomanes frowned at him.

Edited by jt2003

Pahabol lang. Fischer was also very much concerned about cameras. I believe that was why he forfeited his first two games against Spassky. Yet he still came back to take the title. If I remember correctly, that was a 22-game series. Whoever had the most points after 22 games would win the match. I seem to remember that cameras also became an issue for Fischer in that scheduled match with Karpov. Sayang. We never got to see a Fischer-Karpov match. That probably would have been one for the books, since by that time (197?) Karpov had become the darling of the chess world. I remember people saying during that time that the reason Fischer forfeited that match was that he was afraid of losing to Karpov. All speculation, of course. We'll never know who would have won.

Edited by jt2003
Noong unang basa, pareng Storm, akala ko pag-uusapan mo si Bobby Fischer.  One of the most memorable 70s (1972?) sporting events (although most US publications don't consider chess as a sport) was that Fischer-Spassky match-up for the world championship.  Once it was over, there were books and pamphlets all around analyzing the games.  One unforgettable pic was that of Fischer covering his face with both hands while waiting for Spassky's move.

Dahil jan sa Fischer vs Spassky natuto at nahilig tuloy ako noon sa chess. Binasa ko pa pati story about Fischer, pati tuloy yung history ng chess ay binasa ko na rin. Pati rin yung mga anecdotes about Alekhine, Capablanca, etc.

Napasali rin ako noon sa mga chess competition. Nag-champion pa nga ako noon sa Barangay level. Pero after 2 years nagsawa ako kasi time consuming. Mas masarap mag-ubos ng oras with the opposite sex. :wub: :evil: :hypocritesmiley:

Mas masarap magsayaw, magparty at makipagluvluv.

Pareng Sally, I'm glad you're home safe. Wala bang mararaket na murals or large painting commission jan sa Bangkok para makalibot naman jan?

hey storm, how's it going? do you mean if someone wants to commission a painting? to be honest, i have no idea of what the art scene here is all about, although there are many galleries and artists. not that the thais are uncultured...i just think the art scene in manila is more vibrant. but i will keep my eyes and ears open for anyone wanting to know more about your talents. heh, heh, hayaan mo, if the book i'm writing ever gets published, ill commission you to come up with a design for the cover!

No problem pareng Sally. Sali ako jan. :cool:

Pareng Sally, karamihan jan ay scam. Walang solution. Magkakakuchaba sila, kunwari lang yung pustahan. Muntik na akong madale jan. Buti na lang merong nakapagtip sa akin.

Pateng Storm and JT, I don't think all were scams. There was an instance when I stayed nearly glued to one puzzle in front of Diamond theater. No one could seem to win. But then I saw a solution and bet 20 pesos. After the first move, the fellow asked if I knew this particular puzzle. I said no, but he knew that I knew the solution. He then hastily closed the board and handed me 10 pesos. A few days later, I saw him again and the same puzzle...he just winked at me, sort of suggesting that I don't let the other kibitzers in on the solution!

When I was in high school, Cubao was the place to go. The then new Quad was far and Greenhills was a Lasallite's preserve. I spent a lot of money playing billiards at D'Or and buying tapes and records at Dyna near the arcade besides Quezon theater. I also recall watching Alma Moreno's Ligaw na Bulaklak at Cinema 21 near the Fiesta Carnival. Sarap talaga ng 70's...you had all the freedom...and everything was cheap!

When I was in high school, Cubao was the place to go. The then new Quad was far and Greenhills was a Lasallite's preserve. I spent a lot of money playing billiards at D'Or and buying tapes and records at Dyna near the arcade besides Quezon theater. I also recall watching Alma Moreno's Ligaw na Bulaklak at Cinema 21 near the Fiesta Carnival. Sarap talaga ng 70's...you had all the freedom...and everything was cheap!

I remember D'Or. That was THE PLACE for billiards. Cinema 21 was the first theater where you could recline in an adjustable seat. There even used to be a place beside Quezon Theater where you could waste your money in a lot of games. There was a National Book Store at the Araneta Coliseum, and beside Cinema 21 there was Alemars which always had a "Buy One, Take One" section. But I don't agree that Cubao was the place to go during the 70s. I still believe it was Harrison Plaza. Kahit malayo. I used to take the Love Bus, which at the time used to park beside Coronet Theater, near the off-fronton jai alai betting station, straight to Harrison Plaza. It was at Harrison Plaza that I watched "Star Wars" in its first release. The place also had the first Bump Car area, and even a racing oval outside.

Speaking of that off-fronton betting station beside Coronet theater, there were always so many people there, even before the place opened. At walang pila-pila. You had to manage somehow to get your bet to the people inside. I lost so much money betting there, although I did win once but not in the special llave. Jai alai was really big during the 70s. I remember there was even a one-on-one series between Oyarzabal and Manu, who were then generally acknowledged as the best.

I remember D'Or.  That was THE PLACE for billiards.  Cinema 21 was the first theater where you could recline in an adjustable seat.  There even used to be a place beside Quezon Theater where you could waste your money in a lot of games.  There was a National Book Store at the Araneta Coliseum, and beside Cinema 21 there was Alemars which always had a "Buy One, Take One" section. But I don't agree that Cubao was the place to go during the 70s.  I still believe it was Harrison Plaza.  Kahit malayo.  I used to take the Love Bus, which at the time used to park beside Coronet Theater, near the off-fronton jai alai betting station, straight to Harrison Plaza.  It was at Harrison Plaza that I watched "Star Wars" in its first release.  The place also had the first Bump Car area, and even a racing oval outside.

Speaking of that off-fronton betting station beside Coronet theater, there were always so many people there, even before the place opened.  At walang pila-pila.  You had to manage somehow to get your bet to the people inside.  I lost so much money betting there, although I did win once but not in the special llave.  Jai alai was really big during the 70s.  I remember there was even a one-on-one series between Oyarzabal and Manu, who were then generally acknowledged as the best.

You may have a point, pare, especially if you were studying in the UBelt area. I was based in QC, so Cubao was very convenient to go to. Indeed, Harrison Plaza was great during its early years. Today, however, it looks very different. Whatever happened to Alemar's? They used to rival National, di ba?

Mahilig ka din pala sa jai alai! I used to go to Taft to watch the game. I had a friend who was quite rich and would treat us at the Sky Room. We had a classmate whose uncle was a pelotari and would sometimes provide a tip for the special llave. Apparently, players were "allowed" to win during their birthdays and wedding anniversaries. This was like an unwritten rule among the pelotaris who were all Pinoys but of Spanish or Basque ancestry.

Mahilig ka din pala sa jai alai! I used to go to Taft to watch the game. I had a friend who was quite rich and would treat us at the Sky Room. We had a classmate whose uncle was a pelotari and would sometimes provide a tip for the special llave. Apparently, players were "allowed" to win during their birthdays and wedding anniversaries. This was like an unwritten rule among the pelotaris who were all Pinoys but of Spanish or Basque ancestry.

I haven't been to Taft in a long time, but the last I heard they were going to tear down the jai alai fronton there. Sayang naman. To me, that's a national landmark.

Pare, you really haven't been to Taft for ages...tagal nang giniba yung Jai Alai bldg. And I agree, it should have been preserved given its architecture. My dad said before that important family events (debuts, wedding receptions, etc.) and grand parties were held in the Sky Room. Actually, ever since the LRT was built, Taft and Rizal Ave. have deteriorated. Lots of houses built in the early 1900s between Abad Santos and Recto have gone to the elements. I remember the theaters there...Scala, Pearl, the Opera House, Roxanne, Galaxy, Avenue, Odeon...

Pare, you really haven't been to Taft for ages...tagal nang giniba yung Jai Alai bldg. And I agree, it should have been preserved given its architecture. My dad said before that important family events (debuts, wedding receptions, etc.) and grand parties were held in the Sky Room. Actually, ever since the LRT was built, Taft and Rizal Ave. have deteriorated. Lots of houses built in the early 1900s between Abad Santos and Recto have gone to the elements. I remember the theaters there...Scala, Pearl, the Opera House, Roxanne, Galaxy, Avenue, Odeon...

So it's really gone. I thought that certain groups had succeeded in blocking the demolition. What a waste of great architecture.

A lot of what we knew back in the 70s are gone. The theaters along Recto and Avenida seem to be gone as well. The theaters in Cubao, particularly along Aurora Blvd., have become hellholes. With the exception of the theaters at Ali Mall (which have bad sound systems), most theaters in Cubao have resorted to showing R- or X-rated films just to draw people in. Remember how, in the 1970s, Remar was one of the best in Metro Manila? The largest theater in Cubao was Coronet, which had a really spacious Orchestra section. It has now followed the lead of Alta and Diamond in its offerings.

There's a lot of reinvention (not just renovation) going on in Cubao these days, but it's on the Araneta side (e.g. Gateway Mall), where it's beginning to look a lot like Makati. But on the other side of Aurora Blvd., it's decadent. I won't call it moribund, because with all the clubs there (hehehe, I go there, too, now and again, when I have the cash; sorry, I'm evil), there's still a lot of business going on.