Dog Lovers Thread

mr_7thsign

be sure na pagmag-aalaga ka ng aso na may breed eh may pambili ka ng dogfood/supplements nya. hindi basta basta table scraps ang papakain mo. Ang vaccine shots nya eh minsan may kamahalan rin pagnagkasabay sabay. Pagnagkasakit yan eh kelangan dalhin mo rin sa vet yan, minsan macoconfine pa yan and it will cost a lot. Parang nagkaroon ka na rin ng anak nyan. I spend like P2,000/mo sa puppy lab ko, pag adult na sya, mga 1K/mo na lang. Think about it first before ka mag-alaga.

be sure na pagmag-aalaga ka ng aso na may breed eh may pambili ka ng dogfood/supplements nya.  hindi basta basta table scraps ang papakain mo.  Ang vaccine shots nya eh minsan may kamahalan rin pagnagkasabay sabay.  Pagnagkasakit yan eh kelangan dalhin mo rin sa vet yan, minsan macoconfine pa yan and it will cost a lot.  Parang nagkaroon ka na rin ng anak nyan.  I spend like P2,000/mo sa puppy lab ko, pag adult na sya, mga 1K/mo na lang.  Think about it first before ka mag-alaga.

Actually, leftovers work well even with purebred dogs. It's certainly a myth that they don't; dogs originally have been fed that way. Dog food is only a bonus, but not actually necessary for feeding your dog. Of course, they claim to be balanced or what, but it's not like it's needed.

Hi to all! What's the best breed for a guard dog. Should be ok with a small house (but i dont mind walking or running with the dog), good with kids and low maintenance.

Several gave me these recommendations, I am wondering if you have any opinion...

German Shepherd

Doberman

I dont mind the big dogs listed above but are there also smaller breeds? Para mas manageable?

Actually, leftovers work well even with purebred dogs. It's certainly a myth that they don't; dogs originally have been fed that way. Dog food is only a bonus, but not actually necessary for feeding your dog. Of course, they claim to be balanced or what, but it's not like it's needed.

But what kind of leftovers? Ang typical leftovers satin eh tinik ng isda, chicken bones, taba ng baboy etc. and lots of rice... maswerte minsan kse may mga meat talaga but not every meal meron nun.

sa coat pa lang makikita mo na kung complete ang diet ng dog mo, pag dogfood, makintab; pag table scraps, hindi.

But what kind of leftovers? Ang typical leftovers satin eh tinik ng isda, chicken bones, taba ng baboy etc. and lots of rice.

Meat is good. Fish also. Crustacean isn't recommneded though. Rice also works well.

sa coat pa lang makikita mo na kung complete ang diet ng dog mo, pag dogfood, makintab; pag table scraps, hindi.

That's because dog food have some vitamins. It's not necessary for your dog to have shiny coat, unless you want him for show. Otherwise, dog food isn't needed. Just feed your dog with what you also eat, and add vitamins to his diet.

I agree with Lord Zagato, feeding your dog left overs is ok. They were originally fed that when people started to domesticate them. However, your dogs don't get the correct amounts of necessary nutrients for optimal growth and development. If you invest in a pure breed, it is best to invest on dog food as well so that your investment on the pup is well taken cared of. Just a tip, once you feed them table scraps, it will be difficult to feed them dog food again. Table scraps have a lot flavor compared to dog food so once they've tasted it, it will be difficult to switch them back. Just my opinions...

That's because dog food have some vitamins. It's not necessary for your dog to have shiny coat, unless you want him for show. Otherwise, dog food isn't needed. Just feed your dog with what you also eat, and add vitamins to his diet.

Yes, the dog will live with table scraps but you won't maximize their growth/development potential unless you supplement them with vitamins.

If you feed them dog food, then vitamins aren't necessary.

Yes, the dog will live with table scraps but you won't maximize their growth/development potential unless you supplement them with vitamins.

If you feed them dog food, then vitamins aren't necessary.

Dear, dogs for centuries didn't even have commercialized dog food like they do now. They did pretty well without them. Don't fall for the trap that dog food is better, because that's what the manufacturers say.

Dear, dogs for centuries didn't even have commercialized dog food like they do now. They did pretty well without them. Don't fall for the trap that dog food is better, because that's what the manufacturers say.

true, but what we are talking about are the "table scraps" of a middle class Filipino family...

Your table scraps might be different from the others. How about some galunggong, sardines, pork... oily, salty, and fatty eh... Is that okay?

http://channels.netscape.com/homerealestat...?story=dogmyths

Some table scraps such as bones and pieces of fat can be dangerous to some pets. They may not digest the bones and the fat may cause gastrointestinal problems such as pancreatitis.

i havent own of my own...but i love pitbulls,heavily influenced and exposed to them through my friends....

fighting them for me is not inhumane...they are bred to fight...not letting them fight would mean the extinction of their breed forever...

they are not violent...and if they are treated with respect, kindness and love...they will reciprocate...they are the true best friend of mankind...

Some table scraps such as bones and pieces of fat can be dangerous to some pets. They may not digest the bones and the fat may cause gastrointestinal problems such as pancreatitis.

The operative word there is "some"; the title is kind of misleading since it blankets all table scraps, but then upon further reading it actually states only some specific types to be bad. Another operative word there is "can"; so, it might be dangerous. That is rather vague though, as bones are actually good for a dog's teeth, as this can help clean them up.

i havent own of my own...but i love pitbulls,heavily influenced and exposed to them through my friends....

fighting them for me is not inhumane...they are bred to fight...not letting them fight would mean the extinction of their breed forever...

they are not violent...and if they are treated with respect, kindness and love...they will reciprocate...they are the true best friend of mankind...

I would have to disagree with you there my friend.

You say that fighting pittbulls are not violent and they are men's true best friend because you haven't had your face bitten off. The fact remains that these dogs are unpredictable.

Too many nightmare stories for us to just ignore the pitbulls capacity for violence.

The sad thing is that they don't bite their owners but they maim other people. If you bred them to

fight they will be aggressive even without provacation- you're instilling and training them to be fighters. Mix with their natural temperment and your training them to fight will surely turn that pittbull into a mad dog...not a cuddle loving house pet.

It must be a macho thing. a fashion statement or a status symbol of sort for the guys...prang astig ang dating nyo. If I'm wrong then, why not own a dog like a poddle then? Your love for an animal shouldn't be different...kung pet lover ka- kahit anong breed di ba? Then why choose a pitbull? Because it makes you look macho!

Dogs will be dogs...just like men will be men...eh! But training them to fight is inhumane. You are not letting them be "dogs". Not letting them fight will not extinct them. They are not made for our morbid entertainment pleasure...as you've said they are our best friends...then bakit mo siya isasabak sa labanan para masaktan? ganyan mo siya kamahal? The dog that loves you unconditionally and constantly tries to win your compassion and approval will be sent to battle for your entertainment. If you want to be proud of him, why not teach him tricks...yung hindi siya nasasaktan and possible die.

I don't know but it irks me when someone states that these dogs are so harmless when there is so much news about what they are capable of doing...the lives they have taken and the people they have maimed. Sana kung yung trainer ang pinatay, okay lang but it's usually the innocent people and then they k*ll the dog...dapat pati na rin yung owner. There's gotta be a culpability in raising, breeding and training these vicious dogs...and that starts with the breeder/owner.

Peace! I'm a dog lover and just think that you pitbull lovers that train these dogs to fight are being irresponsible . You have a responsibility when you own a dog, and that's with any breed, that they will not harm anyone, to love them and protect them.

Edited by hottlipss
The operative word there is "some"; the title is kind of misleading since it blankets all table scraps, but then upon further reading it actually states only some specific types to be bad. Another operative word there is "can"; so, it might be dangerous. That is rather vague though, as bones are actually good for a dog's teeth, as this can help clean them up.

be sure na pagmag-aalaga ka ng aso na may breed eh may pambili ka ng dogfood/supplements nya. hindi basta basta table scraps ang papakain mo.  Ang vaccine shots nya eh minsan may kamahalan rin pagnagkasabay sabay.  Pagnagkasakit yan eh kelangan dalhin mo rin sa vet yan, minsan macoconfine pa yan and it will cost a lot.  Parang nagkaroon ka na rin ng anak nyan.  I spend like P2,000/mo sa puppy lab ko, pag adult na sya, mga 1K/mo na lang.  Think about it first before ka mag-alaga.

That's why you can't just say that leftovers are okay, especially to those new pet owners...

People should be mindful of what they will feed their pets...

tanong lang po..

may aso kasi ako..

crossbread ng spitz at liverspot dalmatian.

kahit gano kalakas kumain e hindi tumataba.

pwede bang pangpurga sakanila yung gamit ng mga bata?

and i also do have a lab. ano vitamins maganda sa kanila? pinapainom ko sila ng syrup na binigay sakin ng vet..

advisable ba yung cod liver oil?

That's why you can't just say that leftovers are okay, especially to those new pet owners... 

People should be mindful of what they will feed their pets...

Can you give us any empirical data that will show food eaten by humans aren't fit for dogs? Again, remember that for centuries dogs ate the same food that humans did without any apparent harm on them; it's only in the late 20th century that commercial dog food began to emerge. You mean to tell us now that for centuries dogs should've been eating commercial dog food all along? Again, what is your basis on this, other than manufacturers' claims? I'll give a little more analogy here: food supplements for workout are vastly superior than the food we eat. These supplements and vitamins give nutrients that are more or less balanced than most food we eat. Do you mean to tell us that we should only be eating supplements then, and not eat natural food? As I see it, dog food is only a supplement to a dog's diet, but should not in any way mean to replace real food. That's why I mix dog food and natural food, rather than rely on dog food alone. Apparently though, you fell for dog food manufacturers' claims that their products are far better than real food. Again, if we take the analogy, then we should be eating only meal replacements and supplements as well, but no doctor I know ever recommends that. Curiously, even food supplements and meal replacement manufacturers do not recommend that their products be a replacement for real food. So you mean to tell us now that it should be the other way around for dogs?

Edited by Lord Zagato