N F L - National Football League

I'm not saying any record/achievement they do get this year should be discredited, it's just the NFL (including the emdia) itself should not glorify a team found guilty to have violated the rules.

take the Patriots achievements this year as it is, record-breaking performances that should be respected, appreciated and rewarded but awards (like COY or Executive of the Year even) should not be given to remind everyone that rules are rules and shouldn't be taken lightly as just something you can pay out not to follow...

well, I haven't seen a Patriot hater post here. the closest to so-called haters are posters, myself included, that just want to point out that winning isn't everything especially if you did get caught and pronounced guilty of violating the rules. besides, true sports fans would have a hard time not admiring teams made up of "all-star/world" players like the Galactico's before, the Dream Team and even the Yankees with the collection of talent in just one team...

the Michael Vick dog jokes here though are more than "sufficient" in number...

hehehe

I just browsed thru the other post, and there were some "borderline" haters...It's prolly just me though, being a pats fan that is.

You do have a point about a true sports fan having a hard time rooting for teams with an "all-star cast", however for a sports fan like me, rooting for the pats, way before they were this great...It's a blast. And yeah a bit biased on negatives coming from my team.

Dog jokes are old news, I haven't seen any "strip club/pacman jones" jokes yet...and Randy Moss jokes, hehehe(coming soon I guess).

I'm not saying any record/achievement they do get this year should be discredited, it's just the NFL (including the emdia) itself should not glorify a team found guilty to have violated the rules.

take the Patriots achievements this year as it is, record-breaking performances that should be respected, appreciated and rewarded but awards (like COY or Executive of the Year even) should not be given to remind everyone that rules are rules and shouldn't be taken lightly as just something you can pay out not to follow...

I hear yah, however I think the commish is responsible for all of this...Do you know that this season is the most watched(even with the NFL network and cable operators thing going on), thus the most profitable season in NFL history...and it's not even over yet. It's a direct result of one team trying to rewrite history, and the other 31 preventing it from doing so. Thus we have this great season at hand.

Roger Goodell is trying to establish his name, and possibly cast out the shadows of Tags(former commish), and he is making this season his legacy, and a harbinger of bigger things to come. What better way to do it than ride one teams season for the ages?

Roger Goodell is trying to establish his name, and possibly cast out the shadows of Tags(former commish), and he is making this season his legacy, and a harbinger of bigger things to come. What better way to do it than ride one teams season for the ages?

I couldn't help but chuckle at this one.

what legacy?

the defining moment would've been conducting a credible investigation---whether or not spygate was really as serious or petty as it has been played out for the longest time---not destroying the evidence as soon as he got his grimy hands on it, effectively pulling the plug on the story before it got out of hand.

if he's painting any picture here, it's one of ambivalence: he's a ruthless, power-tripping dog doling out punishment to the lowly inmates on one hand and a sycophant more than willing to pull in favors and clean up after owner-friends on the other.

Guys good news.... :)

inoy stars for NFL's Tennessee Titans

Eugene Amano

Eugene Amano

A full-blooded Pinoy is a star offensive lineman for the Tennessee Titans in the National Football League (NFL).

Eugene Amano, 25, is a 6-3, 310-pound offensive lineman who broke into the majors as the Titans' seventh round pick in the 2004 draft.

He's in the record books as the first Filipino NFL player. US-born Roman Ildonzo Gabriel, Jr. who is half-Filipino and half-Irish American, played in the NFL from 1962 to 1977 and was previously the only footballer with Filipino roots.

Amano was born in Manila and moved to San Diego when he was two months old. His father Eugene, who served in the US Navy for 25 years, and mother Aida, a nurse, were stationed in the Philippines when he was born. Younger brother Fred also plays football and is a defensive tackle with the San Diego State varsity. An older sister Allison is enrolled in a San Diego nursing school.

Amano was an all-star in basketball, football and track at Rancho Bernardo High School in San Diego. But it was in football where he excelled, claiming all-conference honors as an offensive and defensive lineman in his senior year.

Despite his prep credentials, Amano was ignored by NCAA Division I schools. He planned to try out for the varsity at either San Diego State or the University of New Mexico when a coach from Southeast Missouri State called one of his high school mentors looking for junior college prospects. Amano's name came up in the list of candidates and he wound up getting a football scholarship at Southeast Missouri State.

As it turned out, Amano shone brightly in college. He played every game for Southeast Missouri State, starting from midway in his freshman year until his final outing as a senior. Amano wound up being named to the All-America first team and won the Dave Rimington Award, given to the top center in college football at each level of competition.

In his last two varsity seasons, Amano boosted Southeast Missouri State's offensive clip to more than 380 yards and averaged 90 touchdowns.

Amano's physical feats are remarkable. He has done 30 repetitions of 225 pounds, performed a 620-pound squat, lifted a 396-pound power clean and run the 40-yard dash in 5.16.

But Amano is revered as a role model more for his recognition of the importance of education than his physical attributes.

Amano was 27 credit hours short of earning a diploma in criminal justice at Southeast Missouri State when he entered the NFL. Unlike other major leaguers who put education in low priority to focus on their playing career, Amano continued to work on his degree through on-line courses, independent study and an internship with a police department where he worked with detectives in a campaign against drugs during the 2006 offseason.

In May 2006, Amano was rewarded for his efforts as he received his degree in criminal justice from Southeast Missouri State. When his playing days are over, Amano hopes to become a federal agent or join the FBI.

By the way, Amano loves Filipino food and picked former San Antonio Spurs center David Robinson as his all-time sports hero.

Now in his fourth year with the Titans, Amano has seen the NFL team metamorphose from a 5-11 doormat in 2004 to a playoff contender this season.

It's amazing what the Pats have done this year. However, all will be for naught if they don't win the SB. I'll be one sad puppy if they lose.

Here's something ESPN's Bill Simmons (a Pats fan) wrote about what happened during the first quarter of the Pats' first regular-season game; it's really funny:

"If a 19-0 season is like building the perfect Ferrari, then SpyGate would be a noticeable 7-inch scratch on the passenger's door that can't come off no matter how many times you polish it. And every time someone gets in the car, no matter how gorgeous it is and how fast it goes, they'll always ask you, "How'd you get that scratch?" That's just the way it is." :lol:

"If a 19-0 season is like building the perfect Ferrari, then SpyGate would be a noticeable 7-inch scratch on the passenger's door that can't come off no matter how many times you polish it. And every time someone gets in the car, no matter how gorgeous it is and how fast it goes, they'll always ask you, "How'd you get that scratch?" That's just the way it is." :lol:

hehehehe, this is the best analogy i've read so far :P

as for pinoys in the NFL i think teddy bruschi is the best example .. im not sure if chris gocong is pinoy i know teddy has pinoy in him ..

question to the Pats defenders/fans .. if the 16-0 season and spygate happened to Dallas or say Green Bay .... would your reactions be the same?

Edited by denimhead
It's a direct result of one team trying to rewrite history, and the other 31 preventing it from doing so. Thus we have this great season at hand.

Hey B2M, the last time I checked the Patriots only played 13 teams in the regular season. I don't see how could all 31 other teams prevent them. Hehehe.

I wish the Titans could've had the chance to beat the Patriots twice this season, I guess we just have to settle for one.

Honestly, if SpyGate happened to some other team, say GB or Dal, I'd probably close the book on it. I'm in the legal profession and my orientation is that once a crime has been committed and punishment has been meted out, I'd consider it over and done with. That's just me though.

About Tedy Bruschi, I'm really surprised that he could be part-Filipino. Now that explains his look. Ilong na lang pwede na pagkamalang may Pinoy blood. :P

Of course, the Wikipedia entry saying that he has Filipino blood isn't too credible, but since his mom's maiden name is Lacap, plus he was born in the SF area, I don't think there's a question.

as for pinoys in the NFL i think teddy bruschi is the best example .. im not sure if chris gocong is pinoy i know teddy has pinoy in him ..

question to the Pats defenders/fans .. if the 16-0 season and spygate happened to Dallas or say Green Bay .... would your reactions be the same?

If a 19-0 season is like building the perfect Maserati, then SpyGate would be a noticeable 7-inch scratch on the passenger's door that can't come off no matter how many times you polish it. And every time someone gets in the car, no matter how gorgeous it is and how fast it goes, they'll always ask you, "How'd you get that scratch?" That's just the way it is." :P

bruschi was on the cover of Filipinas mag ... wch for me is pretty credible

i remember somebody asking about a city who got all their teams to go to their respective finals .. Philadelphia did it in 1980 .. eagles lost the superbowl, phillies win the world series, flyers and sixers reach their respective finals .. 1 out of 4 aint so bad

For me, yes it will still be the same...all of my reasons and views on the matter will be the same even if it was another team that did it...as long as a penalty was made, as long as there is still a way to win against that team, as long as the penalty was within the written laws of the league, and as long as they openly admitted and apologized (believable or not), i will not hold anything to anything they have or will accomplish...

but i will root against them, but i will not blame them for anything other people have done to make them look bad...i never accused the Colts of bribing or being favored by the refs during their week 9 game against the Pats...there was speculation, but there never was an outcry/outburst...even if the Colts won, i still wouldnt complain, becuase it was not the Colts fault...it was the refs fault...and the Pats fault as well for not playing well...

same goes in baseball, i will not put an asterisk in Bonds HR record, even though he may have taken steroids or prohibited substances, it was his execution on the plate that created his home runs...if it was the illegal substance, then all found to have used them should be HR kings...and the fact that the league didn't enforce anything to take away his HR total, i am not in the position to judge his accomplishments...

all i can do is be a fan...it's not even like others cannot beat them, they can...even if it's a team i don't root for...but that's just me...