Exotic Food & Restaurants

Guest the_eight_of_orbs

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. hong kong: snake soup, meron din lizard do ko na kaya yun! k lang pede ulitin

2. mindoro: may sea urchin na naka kapit sa damo, u can pluck it by holding it firmly but gently, get a hard object and scrape away a few spikes and crack it open, clean it by dipping it in sea water while removing the green thing inside. (those are grass being digested) then scoop out with ur fingers the beige thing inside flop it in your mouth. yumyum! mahal sa japanese resto! masarap na masarap na masarap.

3. bangkok: giant ipis at another ewan na insect sa street vendor. D masarap

4. rabbit luto ng lola. sharap isa pa nga.

5. turtle luto ni tita. d ko matandaan ang lasa

6. frog legs luto ni nanay, kasama ko pa sya sa pagbili sa arranque... kawawa buhay binabalatan. :( yummy!

7. doggie, luto ng foreman ng tatay ko sarap to the bones. pero lately i lost my desire for dog meat.

8. horse meat. excellent hahanaphanapin. dala ng bowling mates namin.

9. kilawin na bangus, brought by the same dude who brings horsie

10. eel: ang ulam pang pulutan.

11. pagi depende sa luto.

12. crocodile jerky. mayadong maraming seasoning yung jerky d ko malasahan yung coroco.

13. kangaroo jerky same with croco.

bayawak d ko pa na try!

mcdo at jollibee.

hindi mo talaga alam kung ano ang nasa burger nila eh.

tandaan niyo hindi yan ground cow's meat. ang ibig sabihin ng beef nila ay bovine meat, ibig sabihin basta may hooves beef na iyon tulad ng kalabaw, kabayo, etc.... kaya magtataka rin kayo bakit ang mura ng burgers nila! :D

• 1 month later...

IMHO, each culture has its "exotic" food; more often, it is only exotic to others, not to the people themselves.

China has more than its fair share:

- Cold dish of marinated donkey penis

- Braised Camel hump

- Deep-fried scorpions

Having gone through most of these (I can only thank my lucky stars that there was never a chance to be served Monkey brain), I did have my revenge by serving balut as an appetizer when I hosted dinner once.

One unforgettable in China is the deep-fried sheep tail. They use the tail of a fat-tailed sheep (remember the drawings of Mary Had a Little Lamb?), remove the fleece and dip it in batter. Then the whole tail is deep-fried to crisp, golden brown and then served wish dashes of sugar crystals. They look very much like fried camote (which made me eat it in the first place). The taste, of course, is something else again.

In Mongolia, they have a version of Bulalo which looked innocent enough, until I nearly finished it and discovered that it has a stone (golf-ball sized) which is supposed to be taken out, and held tightly to serve as heater during winter! Dinnertime conversation goes on with you moving the stone from hand to hand to avoid blistering.

are adobong aso and kambing included in the list?

since they can be bought or accessed easily than others.

well, i would like to try Balaw-Balaw (right spelling?)

a restaurant that serves exotic dishes in Angono, Rizal.