Exotic Food & Restaurants

Guest the_eight_of_orbs

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my list:

I've tried corcodile meat, stingray and ostrich meat in Singapore. Kangaroo meat in Australia. Snake and turtle meat in Vietnam. Bat meat (paniki) in Malaysia. Ants sprikled all over a vegetable salad in Thailand. Also tried sauteed scorpion.

Here in the Philippines: tapang usa (deer meat), inihaw na baboy damo, adobong dagang bukid, guinea pig (dagang kosta) stew, stewed rabbit meat, adobong salagubang, ginataang kuhol at pritong palaka.

Aside from the usual pork, beef, chicken, fish, and lamb meats.

My rule is: Better to eat than be eaten.

Grabe, astig mo Magaling!!! You've been to so many places and have eaten so many exotic foods more than anyone... Probably, the most exotic I've ever eaten is Paniki when I was still young. My cousin would catch one near our house using tirador. I don't know how he prepares it for cooking afterwards, but he fried it back then... It smelled kinda weird but it tasted like chicken...

I also like insects they call it "ar-arawan" in Ilocos. You could find them sa lakes. They burrow in the soil/sand. Once, my bro and I chanced upon some in Karayan lake in Pangasinan. However meager our catch, we brought them home and had our lolo cook it for us. Parang paksiw lang ang timpla.. Pero it's cooked till it absorbs all the seasonings tapos it is sauteed till it's crunchy!! Yumyum!!! I think I've eaten salagubang na din...

Happy eating everyone!!

I've tried kangaroo, camel, emu and crocodile in australia. The crocodile actually tastes very good, parang chicken pero mas tender. I've also tried snake blood where they cut the snake open in front of you, drain the blood into a glass and give it to you to drink together with some medicine. Ugh. Wouldn't do that again.

I also like insects they call it "ar-arawan" in Ilocos. You could find them sa lakes. They burrow in the soil/sand. Once, my bro and I chanced upon some in Karayan lake in Pangasinan. However meager our catch, we brought them home and had our lolo cook it for us. Parang paksiw lang ang timpla.. Pero it's cooked till it absorbs all the seasonings tapos it is sauteed till it's crunchy!! Yumyum!!!

Di ko pa yan nasubukan ah!

The closest thing that I've tried would be earthworms (nauso sa Manila during the late 80s) which were ground then made into burger patties. Also silkworms. Pero insekto na galing sa lupa, hahanapin ko nga yan.

Cheers!

I've tried kangaroo, camel, emu and crocodile in australia. The crocodile actually tastes very good, parang chicken pero mas tender.

Pards! I didn't realize there are places that serve camel and emu in Australia? San ba yan pare? I only tried kangaroo meat. Medyo makunat yung karne diba? That's why they have to cook it rare.

You're right that crocodile meat tastes a bit like chicken. Pati yung texture.

Cheers!

um ive tried eel. unknowingly because it was served at a welcome dinner for our project team. twas wintertime in HK and they said it would keep me warm so i ate it. they told me what it was after.

iv also tried those fried insects they sell along the streets in bangkok... i have no idea what insects those are but they taste pretty good... theyre touted as "energy foods" (read : aphrodisiac)...

bayawak - it tastes like chicken especially when cooked as adobo with lotsa garlic

frog legs - also tastes like chicken...

camaru - cooked adobo style then refried to make it crunchy ...

yami!

• 2 weeks later...