Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

he was EconoReem that night, which was good, definitely learned a lot from the Travis Brown fight.

and he definitely improved his cardio, he looked just as fresh at the end of round 3 and at the start of the fight, he didn't even look like he was in a fight at all.

• Like (+1) 1

Now i am wondering what's next in the HW division.

Cain will be out 6 months minimum after surgery

Junior is stuck after losing twice to the champ

Travis and Fabricio will fight

Cormier is moving to LHW

Warmaster, Mir, Nelson are coming off losses

Bigfoot and Big Ben are suspended due to PED

Only bright spot is Miocic

Overeem is on a comeback trail

Oh how I wish Carwin, Del Rosario and Lesnar (yeah him.. haha) were still in the mix. Though I'm betting when he feels Overeem's kick again he will crawl back to the WWE again.. haha..

Edited by G_sKiLLz

Barao still has one legit challenge in 135. Former champ Dominik Cruz. If he beats him, then what happens to that division?

Much like Aldo in 145, the top contenders there were already beaten by the champ. Mendes, Lamas, Swanson, Korean Zombie. Although Poirier looked impressive in his last fight, I dont think he will last with Aldo. A rematch with Mendes though is a fight I'd love to see. Especially how Chad is tearing up the division lately.

LW is still the most competitive division. And this is still excluding Alvarez and Chandler.

Edited by G_sKiLLz

^ You think BJ can get past Frankie this time around?

Aldo at 155 would be fun, love to see Edson against Aldo to see who can kick better..

BJ seems really focused right now, and when that guy is on, he's on.

I may be biased, because I'm a huge BJ fan, but I think Frankie will have his hands full with this new version of BJ. He just needs to stay focused and fight off the lazy.

i guess im the biggest BJ fan but i dont like his chances against Edgar. A motivated Penn is like a mythical creature to me, ill believe it when i see it. Although him training in Nova Uniao with the likes of Barao and Aldo is a step in the right direction, i dont think training there for a couple of months will make much of a difference. Im still rooting for the Prodigy either way.

• Like (+1) 1

Nurmagomedov now has a fight, against Rafael dos Anjos.. wrestling vs jitz anyone?

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is back in the UFC in his right weight class. A guy who has a walking weight of 225lbs should not fight at 170. That was just insane how he would cut almost 60lbs to make that weight. Let's see how he does against Phil Davis' wrestling.

DEVELOPING STORY

Thiago Silva in a standoff against Miami Police

A Broward Sheriff's SWAT team surrounded an Oakland Park home where a armed man barricaded himself after allegedly threatening people at a jiu-jitsu studio Thursday night, officials said.

The man walked into the martial arts school at 777 E. Oakland Park Blvd. around 7:45 p.m., made unspecified threats and left. No one at the school was injured, investigators said.

He then went to his townhome at 2041 Coral Heights Blvd. and locked himself inside. The SWAT team was called out and a perimeter was set up. There was a large police presence in the area, officials said.

Map Maps

2041 Coral Heights Ct., Oakland Park, FL

777 E. Oakland Park Blvd., Oakland Park, FL

Negotiators were trying to establish contact with him.

This is a developing story that will be updated as more information becomes availa

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/oakland-park/fl-oakland-park-standoff-20140206,0,3211236.story

------

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Thiago-Silva-in-Custody-Following-SWAT-Standoff-63291

UFC veteran Thiago Silva is being alleged to have barricaded himself inside his Florida home on Thursday evening and was surrounded by a Broward Sheriff’s SWAT team after threatening people at a jiu-jitsu school, according to a report in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel.

While Silva was not directly named in the report, sources close to the situation confirmed to Sherdog.com that it was the UFC light heavyweight who was involved in the SWAT standoff. According to news station South Florida 6 NBC, the suspect was taken into custody at 11:15 p.m. ET.

The suspect allegedly walked into the Pablo Popovitch Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Center at 777 E. Oakland Park Blvd at approximately 7:45 p.m. ET, made unspecified threats and left.

No one at the school was injured, investigators told the Sun-Sentinel, but NBC 6 South Florida reports the suspect was armed at the time. The suspect later went to the 2000 block of Coral Heights Court and locked himself inside his home.

Silva, who holds his fight camps with the Blackzilians team, has been booked to square off with Ovince St. Preux at UFC 171 in Dallas on March 15. The Brazilian last competed at UFC Fight Night 29 in October, taking a unanimous decision over Matt Hamill.

-----

There are unconfirmed reports that thiago walked in packing an AK-47 looking to k*ll Pablo Popovitch.

Apparently, Pablo is hooking up with Thiago's wife who trains at the center, Thiago is looking to rectify this violation of the bro code.

Edited by Larry

That situation is just sad, he let his anger get the best of him.

He told some reporters that his wife wanted his house and his money, well Thiago, you should not worry about that anymore.

And he has attempted murder charged to him and no bail.

Oh I guess it's a no brainer that UFC already terminated his contract.

looking at mcmanns previous fights, especially the Baszler fight, I'd have to go for Rousey. Rousey is more effective at throwing and submitting. But who knows, Mcmann's wrestling background may just be the answer to Rousey's style.

Mcmann uses too much brute strength even when taking down her opponents. Mcmann has too much holes. IMHO she lost the Baszler fight. Rousey has more finess and is less open.

I'm more interested in Mcmann vs Cyborg. But even then Cyborg will knock her out cold.

Edited by bombsquadboy

enson inoue on MMA today vs MMA yesterday (PRIDE NEVER DIE!)

Enson Yamato Inoue

Well it's become a sport. More money, sponsors, and fame. Back in the day there wasn't any money in the game. So we fought to test ourselves and for honor. In most aspects MMA has not declined it's actually shot up to unbelievable levels.

The sprot is bigger than ever and the money is getting very good. As far as a spectators view its great. As far as the fighters that are fighting to make a living, it's great. As far as the fighters who want to get fame, it's awesome.

However, the fighters who want to grow spiritually and fight for honor. it's declined. It's hard not to worry about winning or losing when your win bonus is as much as your fight money. It's hard not to worry about winning or losing when your sponsors might cut you if you lose. But most of all because there is so much TV and exposure there is so much more concern for safety. Unfortunately where the warrior in a man starts to kick in, that's usually where fights are stopped now days.

Enson Inoue would have never been discovered if he was fighting today. The fights that gave me the biggest props would have been much less dramatic and inspirational if it were to happen today. My Igor fight would have been stopped half way through the round and my fight with Herring would have been stopped when he torqued my arm.

All in all, I love how big MMA is today but I'm glad I fought in the day when all you could fight for is your honor.

so gil melendez isn't going to bellator after all...

Dana's Twitter:

And the Press Release: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-vsjPnercygWjZpc04xVWVjYm8/view?pli=1&sle=true

For Immediate Release:

Feb. 23, 2014

MELENDEZ AGREES TO NEW CONTRACT; WILL COACH OPPOSITE PETTIS ON SEASON 20 OF THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER® SEASON 20 TO FEATURE WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT COMPETITORS VYING FOR INAUGURAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Las Vegas – The Ultimate Fighting Championship® lightweight contender Gilbert Melendez has agreed to a new contract with the organization.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Melendez will now coach against UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis on season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter®. The two will then meet for the UFC lightweight title later this year.

The show, which will begin filming in May and premiere on FOX Sports 1 on Sept. 10, features the launch of the UFC women’s 115-pound weight class. The winner of this season of The Ultimate Fighter® will be crowned the UFC strawweight division’s inaugural champion.

Press Contact:

Dave Sholler, UFC PR

702-588-5541

dsholler@ufc.com

UFC went through a lot just to have Gil stay. In my opinion it' s a smart move, the only division in Bellator worth seeing is LW with Chandler and Alvarez in it. Adding Gil to that would really start a fire so to say.

By doing this a lot of fighters are now either pissed or hanging.

Hanging: Bendo - after a not so convincing win, who is next for him?

Hanging: Aldo - though no contract was signed he agreed to fight Pettis..

Hanging: Grant - sure he is still recovering but when he comes back he may not be the next one to get a title shot

Pissed: Thomson - if he would have gotten the nod against Bendo, he should have the title shot, now he is pissed that Gil who a lot of people thought he beat is getting the second crack at UFC gold. He is so pissed that he would even take Aldo if he decides to move up.

Edited by G_sKiLLz