Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

both will be a hell of a fight indeed. i can also relate to 705 about Tito beating the Dragon & then he goes to the mike & talk s@%t. hehehe classic Tito Ortiz!!! hahaha

Sherk & Penn would be WAR! both have been talking s@%t about who's gonna be on top when they go to the ground, that would be really interesting to watch! with how Sherk eats knees and still gets the takedown & how masterful Penn can be in the guard position that would be a great thing to watch. i hope i see another bloody win by BJ. hehehe ^_^

I don't think Tito can beat Machida. Well the Tito in the old days who had a faster shot and better posture and stand up might have been able to take out someone as elusive as a Machida but not anymore. He barely won against forrest griffin and had a draw against rashard evans who also defended his shots pretty well and actually managed to take him down the last few moments of the fight (which resulted in the draw).

Machida's style is so unique and he is so hard to hit. That's what fighting kumite style in karate gave this guy he can just go on hitting and evading his opponents all night long. That arm triangle in his last fight with Sokodjou was also sweet and gives you a clear idea of what his ground skills are like (BJJ Blackbelt) just in case Tito does take him down. While in the guard he did very well against Sokodjou the first two times he was taken down so clearly Tito will have a hard time doing his trademark GNP on him.

I think Dana gave Tito this fight coz he thinks Machida will just destroy Ortiz and finish his stint in the UFC. There has been a lot of publicized feuding between the UFC President and the camp of the former light heavyweight champ.

As for the Wand Jardine fight. As much as i love Wand. I don't see him winning this one. Back in the Pride Absolute Grand Prix in 2006 he got beat by Crocop by doing something over and over again and that is kicking. wand ate a lot of body kicks and leg kicks (which also set up Crocop's hands btw) before finally getting knocked out by a headkick in the 2nd round. Technically I think Jardine is a better and more pin point kicker than crocop and he can just keep on hitting the same spot every single time as most of us witnessed during his win over chuck lidell. Also the reach advantage goes to Jardine as well as 'cage' experience. Its either Wand is gonna be stopped by kicks again or its gonna be a unanimous decision for the Dean of Mean.

On the Penn-Sherk Fight, no doubt in my mind that Shawn Sherk is gonna regain his title. He can take Penn down at will much like what he did with a 'juiced-up' Hermes Franca. And much like what he did with Franca I think Sherk will just pass Bj's guard at will. Hermes Franca is a BJJ Blackbelt close to that of a level of a BJ Penn but he wasn't able to do anything to derail the muscle shark. He ate some knees but kept on coming which is a testament to the strength of his chin. Quite frankly I think Franca hits harder that a BJ Penn standing up so I don't see BJ being able to KO the muscle shark too (well if he does well enough to keep the fight standing anyway).

Just my two cents. =)

Edited by geneticfreak
tanong lang kelan ulit laban ni brandon vera??? sa ufc pa din ba cya???

^ UFC 85 next month, against Fabricio Werdum :thumbsupsmiley:

As for the Wand Jardine fight. As much as i love Wand. I don't see him winning this one. Back in the Pride Absolute Grand Prix in 2006 he got beat by Crocop by doing something over and over again and that is kicking. wand ate a lot of body kicks and leg kicks (which also set up Crocop's hands btw) before finally getting knocked out by a headkick in the 2nd round. Technically I think Jardine is a better and more pin point kicker than crocop and he can just keep on hitting the same spot every single time as most of us witnessed during his win over chuck lidell. Also the reach advantage goes to Jardine as well as 'cage' experience. Its either Wand is gonna be stopped by kicks again or its gonna be a unanimous decision for the Dean of Mean.

On the Penn-Sherk Fight, no doubt in my mind that Shawn Sherk is gonna regain his title. He can take Penn down at will much like what he did with a 'juiced-up' Hermes Franca. And much like what he did with Franca I think Sherk will just pass Bj's guard at will. Hermes Franca is a BJJ Blackbelt close to that of a level of a BJ Penn but he wasn't able to do anything to derail the muscle shark. He ate some knees but kept on coming which is a testament to the strength of his chin. Quite frankly I think Franca hits harder that a BJ Penn standing up so I don't see BJ being able to KO the muscle shark too (well if he does well enough to keep the fight standing anyway).

Just my two cents. =)

i dunno if i'll agree with you about Jardine being more technically sound than Cro Cop in terms of striking. remember, you're comparing Jardine to a top of the food chain K-1 striker. also, WAND's loss to Cro Cop was in the Open Weight GP, and without weight restrictions and facing a much heavier opponent WAND was not in his element (although his TKO win over Fujita would say otherwise). the only factors here are cage awareness and overall strategy for Jardine. if he does what he did to Chuck when he won that fight then maybe he'll win.

since you brought up that Hermes was juiced when he won, remember that Sean could've been juiced too during that fight. Now that there's no trace of any PED's in his system we can see what he can really do against BJ. Hermes is good, but BJ is on a whole new level in terms of BJJ. also, BJ choked Matt Hughes out, who's just as good a wrestler as Sean, so BJ might know what he's getting in to.

my only issue with BJ is whether the BJ Penn who choked Hughes out will show up, or will it be the BJ Penn who fought the guy Tito will fight on the same card.

hopefully BJ will not gas out, he's more of the finesse fighter for me, not much of a cardio freak like Sherk. but honestly i'd like to see that match since both have been talking s@%t on who's who in the ground or standing up.

i don't agree with the guy who said Jardine is more of a precise striker than Crocop, i mean the Dean of Mean got his hits because the Chuck he fought was taking it easy, he thought that after a loss he'd get a squash match against Jardine, guess he was wrong eh?

Wand coming off a string of losses would be coming out strong with this fight, Octagon awareness or not i'd still say if Wand is the more aggressive fighter then he'll win, but lets not count out Keith throwing those haymakers or repeating a 1, 2, 10 like what he did with Chuck.

MMA math doesn't make sense eh? ^_^

i dunno if i'll agree with you about Jardine being more technically sound than Cro Cop in terms of striking. remember, you're comparing Jardine to a top of the food chain K-1 striker. also, WAND's loss to Cro Cop was in the Open Weight GP, and without weight restrictions and facing a much heavier opponent WAND was not in his element (although his TKO win over Fujita would say otherwise). the only factors here are cage awareness and overall strategy for Jardine. if he does what he did to Chuck when he won that fight then maybe he'll win.

Just wanna comment that during the Pride GP semis when Wand did fight Crocop. Wand actually weighed heavier than Crocop coming into the fight so you can't say Crocop had any weight advantage against wand in that fight. Perhaps his only disadvantage was he was fighting against crocop as a 'heavyweight' and wasn't used to it as crocop was.

Just wanna comment that during the Pride GP semis when Wand did fight Crocop. Wand actually weighed heavier than Crocop coming into the fight so you can't say Crocop had any weight advantage against wand in that fight. Perhaps his only disadvantage was he was fighting against crocop as a 'heavyweight' and wasn't used to it as crocop was.

^ QFT with the weight friend, my thoughts exactly. i'm just saying that WAND-Cro Cop 2 is a totally different case for me IMO, because it is open weight, and that would probably be a one-off fight with a result that won't be replicated anytime soon. regardless, WAND's downfall there for me was Cro Cop was picking him apart with his counter striking, which is the perfect weapon against WAND's wild style back then. i highly doubt that Jardine would be able to replicate what Cro Cop did, but if his performance earned him a win against Chuck (who's just as wild a striker as WAND is) then it might be good enough. i'm not really doing MMAth, i'm just considering both Chuck & WAND's striking styles and how they're open for counters, which Jardine & Cro Cop were able to use.

the key for WAND is to push the pace, simple as that. Chuck made the mistake of letting Jardine dictate the pace too much in their fight. WAND has to give him different looks, mix it up, be in your face and just go balls to the wall (and avoid getting hit too, of course).

Minotauro Nogueira and Frank Mir named Ultimate Fighter coaches for season 8

the ultimate fighter 8 coaches

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir has been tabbed as one of two coaches who will appear on season eight of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), which will begin taping soon and is expected to debut on Spike TV sometime in September, according to Yahoo!Sports.com.

His opposing coach is none other than UFC Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, setting up an eventual blockbuster title match on New Year’s Eve 2008.

This is quite a reversal of fortune for “The Baddest Man on The Planet.” Less than 18 months ago, most were quick to write off Mir as a gifted and technical fighter who could not replicate his previous exploits inside the Octagon after recovering from a near fatal motorcycle wreck.

In fact, he lost two of his first three bouts when he returned to action — and his lone win over Dan Christison during that span was less than impressive.

But things began to turn around for Mir when he submitted Antoni Hardonk with a textbook kimura at UFC 74: “Respect” in August 2007. He did what everyone was waiting for him to do and he looked good doing it.

The “old” Frank Mir was back.

That was no more evident than when in his next bout Mir weathered a brutal attack from the massive Brock Lesnar at UFC 81: “Breaking Point” to pull off a crafty fight-ending submission (kneebar). It appears that the two back-to-back wins, as well as a visible re-dedication to training, has earned Mir another shot at championship glory.

First, however, he will have to train and manage a team of mixed martial arts hopefuls in front of a national television audience. That shouldn’t be a problem because Mir is comfortable in front of a camera thanks to his role as ringside announcer at World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) events.

He also knows a thing or two about Brazilian jiu-jitsu and MMA overall. Mir has a ton of fight experience and he’s not even 30 years old.

Nogueira — who defeated Tim Sylvia to win the interim heavyweight championship at UFC 81 — is the first man ever to hold Pride FC and UFC belts. He is undefeated inside the Octagon (2-0) and will look to win over several new fans (and students) while on the show.

Despite his talent and unrivaled accomplishments, it appears that Nogueira has yet to gain widespread respect and notoriety from casual fans. That could all change … soon.

TUF 8 is expected to feature light heavyweights and lightweights, breaking from recent tradition of focusing on just one weight class. Filming is set to begin soon and the show will run from September through December.

wow, so it's all set then? Nog vs Mir? i was hoping that Nog would face someone else and Mir could've put a few more wins before they actually meet.

nyweiz the UFC HW division ain't that much stacked than the other divisions ata.

inaabangan ko yung laban ni Kongo tsaka ni Tim, hehehe too bad ala na si Tim sa UFC kya nde natuloy. ^_^

wow, so it's all set then? Nog vs Mir? i was hoping that Nog would face someone else and Mir could've put a few more wins before they actually meet.

nyweiz the UFC HW division ain't that much stacked than the other divisions ata.

inaabangan ko yung laban ni Kongo tsaka ni Tim, hehehe too bad ala na si Tim sa UFC kya nde natuloy. ^_^

Just shows you how shallow the HW division of the UFC currently is.

Anyhow I remember reading somewhere that Tim Sylvia was set to Fight Fedor in a promotion owned by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

I remember Arlovski and Ben Rothwell from the IFL being in the same card. Any word on this?

Clearly these are the HW's Dana White needs to sign to spice things up in the HW class. (and hopefully convinces Couture to come back too)

Just shows you how shallow the HW division of the UFC currently is.

Anyhow I remember reading somewhere that Tim Sylvia was set to Fight Fedor in a promotion owned by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

I remember Arlovski and Ben Rothwell from the IFL being in the same card. Any word on this?

Clearly these are the HW's Dana White needs to sign to spice things up in the HW class. (and hopefully convinces Couture to come back too)

Final Card:

* Fedor Emelianenko vs Tim Sylvia

* Josh Barnett vs Pedro Rizzo

* Ben Rothwell vs Andre Arlovski

* Aleksander Emelianenko vs Paul Buentello

* Matt Lindland vs Fabio Negao

* Renato Sobral vs Mike Whitehead

* Savant Young vs Mark Hominick

* Brett Cooper vs Mike Pyle

* Ray Lamaza vs Justin Levens

* JJ Ambrose vs Patrick Speight

Mark Cuban isn't behind this

This is an Affliction event.

*edit: just found out that they aren't working with Golden Boy anymore

the card looks great, but I doubt if they can come up with follow up events that can come close to this one. My guess is they blow away all their money for this one and fizzle out in the future.

hopefully I'm wrong, and Affliction turns into a good rival for the UFC.

Edited by Larry
Mark Cuban isn't behind this

This is an Affliction event.

*edit: just found out that they aren't working with Golden Boy anymore

the card looks great, but I doubt if they can come up with follow up events that can come close to this one. My guess is they blow away all their money for this one and fizzle out in the future.

hopefully I'm wrong, and Affliction turns into a good rival for the UFC.

Ah yes. Affliction pala. but I did read something like the carrier was gonna be HD NET which is apparently owned by Mark Cuban.

As for the card. yah it looks like one of those old PRIDE FC super cars that drew 50-60,000 people.

pero yah I agree with you that it will be quite hard to keep putting up such a card with this quality.

Final Card:

* Fedor Emelianenko vs Tim Sylvia

* Josh Barnett vs Pedro Rizzo

* Ben Rothwell vs Andre Arlovski

* Aleksander Emelianenko vs Paul Buentello

* Matt Lindland vs Fabio Negao

* Renato Sobral vs Mike Whitehead

* Savant Young vs Mark Hominick

* Brett Cooper vs Mike Pyle

* Ray Lamaza vs Justin Levens

* JJ Ambrose vs Patrick Speight

HD Net fights will show this fight cad alright and yup Affliction clothing along with a part of the defunct M1 organization will sponsor the event.

siguro if they do this like quarterly kaya nilang tumabo ng pera but they can't compete with UFC's monthly outings kung panay super card sila tulad nyan. ^_^

shempre magpapapresyo yung mga fighters din kahit papano.

ang maganda dito eh si Babalu lalaban ulit! hehehe kaso tibay si Mike Whitehead din. but never the less Sobral via RNC ito! ^_^

tapos Grim Reaper KO's Buentello

tapos Fedor via armbar or Timmy Boy via boring UD jabfest ^_^

Barnett via SD kung nde nya madadala sa ground si Rizzo ^_^