Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

cant wait for the rampage vs griffin match,, now thats gonna be a slambang affair,, hope the TUF 7 finishes quickly.. but ofcourse b4 that will be the rematch of GSP and matt serra,, GSP all the way baby... :thumbsupsmiley:

agree! GSP will surely be the LONGEST welterweight of all time! serra's win over him was just plain luck!

agree! GSP will surely be the LONGEST welterweight of all time! serra's win over him was just plain luck!

wow!! we actually agree on something.. haha

the win by serra was a fluke,, GSP was overconfident and i think he took the fight lightly... but this time i think hes more focused... he just dominated matt hughes in their last 2 fights... GSP is the best pound 4 pound fighter,, hes the most talented his only weakness is his mental toughness,, he sometimes gets distracted,, but i think when GSP prepares for a fight no one can beat him in the welterweight division... hell surely surpass matt hughes as the best welterweight off all time,, no diss to matt :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by HansSolo

Hitting a guy in the back of the head should have been a warning. Unless, it was discussed pre-fight and both agreed. None of us were there, so speculating is the best we can do. I suspect that it was.

Lesnar was outclassed...he moved well, put out a nice power display but simply didn't have the tools to deserve the paycheck. If this is the way that Dana and Gang are heading (taking 'roid freaks with little talent but a big name) we are going to see the UFC look like a joke. I pray that doesn't happen. Lesnar should have kept his mouth shut and stayed away from Muscle & Fitness magazine. This month features Kimbo Slice, so how long before that goon gets thumped by somebodt who actually knows what to do?

MMAJUNKIE.COM talks with steve mazzagatti

MMAJUNKIE.COM: Did you issue Lesnar a warning? That’s a big part of this whole thing, you know? Some fans think you didn’t issue a warning.

STEVE MAZZAGATTI: Yeah, I did. Brock’s excited. It’s a big, big opportunity for him, and — in my opinion — he looked down and saw the head there, and he took three shots at him and caught him. I jump in and say, “Don’t hit at the back of the head.” A few more seconds go by, Mir tucks up under there again, and Brock comes down with the second couple hits to the back of the head. That’s when I jumped in and had to do my job. That’s what I saw.

MMAJUNKIE.COM: So, just to be perfectly clear, you did issue Lesner a warning before you stopped the fight and deducted a point?

STEVE MAZZAGATTI: Oh yeah, I did. But can you imagine the decibels in there? That was one of the fights everyone came to see. Of course, I came home and did my homework, watched the tape, and I can’t hear myself give the warning. I couldn’t hear myself say, “Bring it on!” on that beginning. [laughs] That’s my thing. I always shout that. If you watch the tape, you can barely even hear that.

for the whole interview http://mmajunkie.com/2008/02/05/referee-st...iecom-interview

----------

Brock Lesnar is legit IMO, he just got caught. Mir is a world class BJJ practicioner, and former UFC champion. Skill wise Lesnar was overmatched for sure. But seeing the natural wrestling skills the guy has, how fast he shoots, his explosiveness, his quick transitions, makes me think that Lesnar is the real deal. To be a National Champion in greco is no joke. I give him 12 months till he starts really wrecking s@%t up.

Funny thing is everytime I go to MMA boards, it's the same thing. Most of the hardcore fans who have been fans of MMA since UFC 1 found Brock to have legit skills, the noobs who only got into the sport via The Ultimate Fighter don't have respect for Lesnar saying he's just a roided up freak. Goes to show who really knows how different people's views are.

This month features Kimbo Slice, so how long before that goon gets thumped by somebodt who actually knows what to do?

LOL, kimbo slice. That guy has improved a lot ever since his very first fight with Sean Gannon. A few more fights and he's ready for the big show.

anyway my UFC 82 picks:

Hendo by GnP (no way Dan loses twice in a row)

Herring via armbar

Arlovski via KO

Jon Fitch via KO

Tanner via referee stoppage due to cuts

Koscheck via boring decision

Luke Cummo via TKO

---

this is a great thread BTW, keep it up

great fights coming up! kongo & herring's fight will be phenomenal! whoever won should have a title shot! arlovski is back but who the heck is jake o'brien anyway? i expected bigger name, somewhat like kongo or herring or even crocop! he's a former ufc hw champ and he'll fight w/ this unknown guy? and the saddest part would be it may not be broadcast! WTF!

I was impressed with lesnar's performance. Didn't expect him to win pero did expect him to man handle mir like that. With the proper training and a few more fights, he'd be a very good contender for the heavyweight title. Im thinking of Lesnar VS monson in the near future. two stocky guys with amazing wrestling abilities just working the matt.

The mino/sylvia fight was a surprise to me as well. Sylvia was able to maintain, if not improved, his hand speed since the vera fight. He already has the power on both hand and just needed to work on his accuracy and hand speed. His jab was devastating during his fight with big nog. That was the main reason why he was able to outbox mino. Tim could have won the match if they stayed on their feet and avoided the takedowns.

I was impressed with lesnar's performance. Didn't expect him to win pero did expect him to man handle mir like that. With the proper training and a few more fights, he'd be a very good contender for the heavyweight title. Im thinking of Lesnar VS monson in the near future. two stocky guys with amazing wrestling abilities just working the matt.

The mino/sylvia fight was a surprise to me as well. Sylvia was able to maintain, if not improved, his hand speed since the vera fight. He already has the power on both hand and just needed to work on his accuracy and hand speed. His jab was devastating during his fight with big nog. That was the main reason why he was able to outbox mino. Tim could have won the match if they stayed on their feet and avoided the takedowns.

no way he can keep that up with big nog. mino's gonna ground him & submit before the last bell rings that's for sure man

His jab was devastating during his fight with big nog. That was the main reason why he was able to outbox mino.

it's either that or the fact that he's a big gorilla who has insanely long arms, that'll keep anyone out of reach.

Sylvia has had power ever since he entered the UFC, which was mainly the reason why he became HW champ.

But I still don't like the guy because he never fights to win. He's just content to jab his way to a decision, which is just pathetic.

---------

Mino is a zombie

it's either that or the fact that he's a big gorilla who has insanely long arms, that'll keep anyone out of reach.

Sylvia has had power ever since he entered the UFC, which was mainly the reason why he became HW champ.

But I still don't like the guy because he never fights to win. He's just content to jab his way to a decision, which is just pathetic.

---------

Mino is a zombie

cmon guys, give Sylvia a break. that's the only fighting technique he knows. LOL

:upside:

pridefc players are winning UFC titles!

henderson vs silva should be a good fight.

semmy schiltz vs the maniac hope this will happen

Its bound to happen since PRIDE is dead... And, to date, only Rampage and Big Nog are the titleholders coming from the now defunct-PRIDE. Lets see if Hendo will be able to turn water into wine and stage a miracle to become the 185-lb. champ...

Its bound to happen since PRIDE is dead... And, to date, only Rampage and Big Nog are the titleholders coming from the now defunct-PRIDE. Lets see if Hendo will be able to turn water into wine and stage a miracle to become the 185-lb. champ...

silva also came from pride... GSP/serra and bj penn are the only title holders from UFC,, so 3 of the 5 UFC title holders came from pride or fought mostly on pride b4 going to the UFC...

silva also came from pride... GSP/serra and bj penn are the only title holders from UFC,, so 3 of the 5 UFC title holders came from pride or fought mostly on pride b4 going to the UFC...

Partly true, partly wrong. Silva had a stint in PRIDE before going elsewhere and eventually in UFC. He started in Mecca-Vale Tudo even before that PRIDE-UFC thing...

If we base the fighters on the premise of PRIDE-UFC affiliations, then, it is safe to say that the only two-division champion in PRIDE or the MMA world came from UFC...

Its moot and academic to label the fighters as a UFC or PRIDE fighter because PRIDE is dead and the only way to go is up, and that is the UFC.

Partly true, partly wrong. Silva had a stint in PRIDE before going elsewhere and eventually in UFC. He started in Mecca-Vale Tudo even before that PRIDE-UFC thing...

If we base the fighters on the premise of PRIDE-UFC affiliations, then, it is safe to say that the only two-division champion in PRIDE or the MMA world came from UFC...

Its moot and academic to label the fighters as a UFC or PRIDE fighter because PRIDE is dead and the only way to go is up, and that is the UFC.

your right pride is already dead so why bother... but i still think silva is considered by many as a pride fighter just as the case with dan henderson even if dan fought 1st w/ UFC...

actually the thing that puzzles me is silva struggled when he was in pride,, he got beaten by 2 japanese guys both by submission... what the hell,, japanese guyz were punching bags for the visiting mma fighters in pride (except 4 kazushi ofcourse) but silva lost twice,, hope dan can do the same to get rich back in title contention :thumbsupsmiley:

anyways hats off to silva for really improving his game,, hes now considered the best PforP fighter beating fedor and quinton (although i think GSP is the best PforP,, just my .02)...

arguing about who came from where is stupid at this point

They're all in the UFC now.

but I still liked Pride better, the fighters, the fights, the wacky entrances, that crazy announcer chick who always sounded like she's having an orgasm right in the middle of a heartattack, the respect that the Japanese fans have for the fighters, the technicall MMA knowledge of the Japanese (it's the first MMA event that I know of, where people cheered takedowns and gasped excitedly at transitions and good position on the ground.

who had better competition at the time?

In my eyes, it was Pride.

but I still liked Pride better, the fighters, the fights, the wacky entrances, that crazy announcer chick who always sounded like she's having an orgasm right in the middle of a heartattack, the respect that the Japanese fans have for the fighters, the technicall MMA knowledge of the Japanese (it's the first MMA event that I know of, where people cheered takedowns and gasped excitedly at transitions and good position on the ground.

plus the grand prix and grudge matches! :thumbsupsmiley:

and pride got more talented fighters at that time because pride offered more money than the UFC... but good observation indian barry about the girl screaming like she was having an orgasm that was really funny... hahaha

ufc 84 will have tito vs lyota machida and ufc 85 will have iceman vs shogun... what great matches!!!! cant wait....

Edited by HansSolo

Cro cop will leave the UFC and be back in japan (Dream)

"Well, as you all know, I had a bad period in my last two fights, which I'd lost in the UFC," Filipovic said. "I don't want anyone to think that I'm running away from the UFC, but I was thinking a lot about how to continue with my career, and I think in this moment, I think Dream is the right place for me.

"Another thing is that I never liked fighting in the cage. I always liked to fight in the ring. The second thing is that I liked fighting in Japan. Japan is like my second home -- I feel like I'm home in Japan. All those reasons [have brought me] here, and I'm very happy that I'm going to fight here in Japan. But of course, one day, I don't know when, but definitely I'll be back in the UFC to show that it was just a bad period for me. Now I'm fully recovered, physically and mentally, most important mentally."

I guess he'll have his DREAM match up in the land of the rising sun (bet he missed the screaming japanese girls too)...

More on crocop's leaving and his contract with the UFC

--

The split was amicable and the terms were decided on in advance. Cro Cops $350k (plus bonuses) contract had a clause in it stating that if he lost two consecutive fights Zuffa had the right to void the existing agreement and negotiate a new one.

CC never dreamed that he would be so overwhelmed by the level of competition he has faced in the UFC so far and and the losses have impacted him mentally.

The UFC did NOT cut Cro Cop from the roster nor did they threaten to make him sit out until his contract expired if he didn't take the pay cut deal.

Rather than negotiate a new contract with the UFC right now (and risk racking up more losses), Cro Cop wants to get a couple of tune up fights (and wins) in some of the smaller shows (no more tune up matches for him in the UFC) in hopes of rebuilding his confidence and getting himself back on track.

DW understood completely and supported Cro Cop in his decision. The last thing DW wants to do is shell out a six-figure purse to a fighter that isn't fighting worth a dayum. Even though it would have been lower than the original figure, it would still be a waste of money and resources.

Cro Cops ultimate goal is to win the UFC HW championship belt and DW believes he still has the potential to accomplish that goal. CC's plan when he signed with the UFC was, "I will become Champion after three matches. I will need two and a half or three months off between each match. I expect to hold the UFC belt by the Summer. Then I want Pride Champion Fedor Emelianenko, Vs Me the UFC Heavyweight Champion on New Years Eve."

from MMA Playground