Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

most champs are wrestlers!

Let's list down all past/present champs and their primary discipline too see the percentage

From what I know

BJ Penn: BJJ

GSP:Kyokushin/BJJ

Anderson Silva: Muay Thai

Rampage: Wrestling

Couture:Wrestling

Fedor:Judo/Sambo

Minotauro:Bjj

Dan Henderson:Wrestling

Mat Hughes:Wrestling

Wanderlei:Muay Thai

Bas Rutten:Pancrase

Ken and Frank Shamrock: Submission Fighting

Shogun:Muay Thai

gouveia/lambert is a very good example of a puncher's chance.

I agree! It seems Lambert had the upper hand but voila! He just saw himself lying on the mat clueless of what had just happened.

Possible ba na magkaron tayo ng training session EB for the guys doing mma here? What do you think sir Olympus?

BJ Penn: BJJ

GSP:Kyokushin/BJJ

Anderson Silva: Muay Thai

Rampage: Wrestling

Couture:Wrestling

Fedor:Judo/Sambo

Minotauro:Bjj

Dan Henderson:Wrestling

Mat Hughes:Wrestling

Wanderlei:Muay Thai

Bas Rutten:Pancrase

Ken and Frank Shamrock: Submission Fighting

Shogun:Muay Thai

chuck liddel: Kenpo Karate

Don Frye: Wrestling

Bas Rutten: Kyokushin and MT

and MY personal favorite, Steve Jennum: NINJUTSU Bitches!!!

you will notice that most UFC champs are wrestlers, this might be due to the fact that there are a lot more wrestlers in the US and MMA is a natural progression from College wrestling.

The Foreign born fighters that have been UFC champs all come from varied backgrounds from BJJ to MT to Karate, as wrestling isn't very popular outside of the US.

IMO it doesn't matter what base art you started from, it's how you fight. Wala sa pana yan, nasa Indian yan.

Edited by Larry
nasty fight for joe!

good one for BJ!

where are the doubters now?

Who doubted who, by the way?

Well, BJ Penn is a delight to see whenever he fights, he should have been a champion today had he not plagued with injuries... I never doubted that he will win that one against Stevenson for the simple reason that Stevenson has not fought someone near the caliber of BJ Penn. But come May 24 for his fight with Sean Sherk, I think I will pick the Muscle Shark over the Prodigy.

i dont think brock lesnar is a true wrestler! remember he is in WWE meaning more on entertainment than the actual wrestling! but lets see, frank mir is on a roll right now and will be a good test versus a well-rounded opponent!

He is a true wrestler. He is an NCAA wrestling champion prior to his stint in WWE... He has a better chance against Frank Mir because Mir have never been the same since that motorcycle accident. But lets see what will happen in February...

"Tito Ortiz To Fight Lyoto Machida Then Leave The UFC"

Tito goes on a rant about the UFC while confirming his next fight will be against the undefeated Lyoto Machida.

During an interview for Fight Network Radio Tito Ortiz confirmed his rumored fight with Machida. The fight will probably take place on the UFC’s May 24 card at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. That will be the final fight on his current contract with the UFC.

Ortiz also expressed how dissatisfied he was with the way that the UFC has treated him recently and how he was unhappy that he was not offered a higher profile fight. “With Dana in charge, I don’t think that fight (Championship Fight) will ever happen for me,” said Ortiz. “Dana has bad blood for me and nothing but bad blood. They’re going to try and ruin me.”