Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic Considering Retirement; UFC Farewell Fight

According to the Croatian Newspaper, Jutarnji, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has begun seriously considering retirement. The former PRIDE champion is 2-2 1 NC in his past five fights and is looking at competing four more times with a possible farewell fight in the UFC.

“I believe that during 2009 I will fight three more times for Dream, then I hope for a farewell fight in the UFC,” said Filipovic.

Filopovic is awaiting surgery for severe knee ligament damage and is currently getting over the flu so that his immune system will be strong enough for the operation.

After the operation Filipovic stated that he'd need up to three months to recover and several weeks to prepare for his next, as of now unnamed, opponent.

Dana White Ready To Bring Cro Cop Back To UFC

Coming on the heals of recent statements made by popular Croatian striker Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, Dana White confirmed that he's held serious discussions about bringing Filipovic back to the UFC.

Filipovic (24-6-2) spent a year and a half away from the organization after consecutive losses derailed his asention to what was supposed to be a UFC heavyweight title.

Filipovic, a PRIDE Grand Prix Champion, was brought to the UFC with much fanfare, but never delivered going 1-2 in his brief UFC stint. The former K-1 star suffered losses to both Gabriel Gonzaga and Chieck Congo in which he was outstruck -- a rarity for the Croatian superstar.

Filipovic left the UFC in order to regain his "mojo" and build some confidence with the promise that he'd be back to avenge his losses and fulfill the lofty expectation placed on him upon his UFC arrival.

Now, according to White, he'll get that opportunity.

"I talked to Mirko probably about a month ago," White told Setanta Sports. "He said he's ready to come back."

Filipovic may be willing, but he's not ready according to his own admission -- at least not physically. He recently sustained knee ligament damage and had successful surgery to repair it last month. Aggressive estimates have Filipovic ready for action in no shorter than four months time.

If the popular Croat can meet that time table, he may be able to debut close to home when the UFC takes its show to Germany.

"He wants to come back in the UFC and he'd love to fight in Germany," said White. "I'm talking to his agent right now, and we're trying to figure out what we can do."

UFC 99 is rumored to take place on June 13 in Germany and will likely feature a lightweight title fight between B.J. Penn and Kenny Florian.

Wanderlei Silva is also rumored to be in action on the card taking on Rich Franklin at a 195lbs. catch weight as he attempts to ease his way down to 185lbs. in order to compete in the UFC's middleweight division.

It should be noted that Filipovic, having fulfilled his three fight contract with the Japanese promotion, DREAM, is a free agent and is currently in negotiations with them along with the UFC and Affliction.

Wanderlei Silva To Drop To Middleweight

After being on the wrong side of another brutal KO, Wanderlei Silva appears set to cut down to middleweight.

His most recent loss to Quinton “Rampage” Jackson is the third time the former PRIDE champion has been knocked out in his past five fights; a span that includes four losses and was apparently the impetus for the move.

Silva has often fought under the 205 limit and is considered smallish for a light-heavyweight, making a move to middleweight a feasible proposition and one that would see him become an instant contender.

The ferocious Brazilian will be in new territory battling fighters smaller than himself. Silva has often taken on fighters much bigger including, Mirko Cro Cop, Kazuyuki Fujita, and Mark Hunt.

If he brings his trademark power and ferocity along with him to 185lbs. then he'll be a scary proposition for any middleweight, including current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

March Badness to feature Bobby Lashley against Ken Shamrock on March 21

http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/marchbadness.jpg

Former WWE superstar Bobby Lashley’s opponent for “March Badness” — a hybrid mixed martial arts and boxing event being put on by former boxing champion Roy Jones Jr. — will be none other than UFC Hall-of-Famer Ken Shamrock (27-13-2), according to BloodyElbow.com.

The pay-per-view (PPV) event will take place at the Pensacola Civic Center in Pensacola, Fla., on March 21.

Lashley (1-0) is an absolute monster, weighing in right around the 265-pound heavyweight limit for his fights. He destroyed Joshua Franklin in under a minute during his MMA debut last December with devastating takedowns and a ground-and-pound that opened up a nasty fight ending gash on Franklin’s head.

One of the newest members of the prestigious American Top Team, Lashley has a rare blend of size, freakish athleticism and blazing quickness. He’s going to be a handful for anybody in a fight, let alone a 45-year-old man who’s lost 8 of his last 11 contests and hasn’t beaten a decent heavyweight since submitting Bas Rutten nearly 14 years ago.

“The World’s Most Dangerous Man” managed to win his most recent fight a couple of weeks ago over Ross Clifton at WarGods: “The Valentine’s Eve Massacre;” however Ross Clifton isn’t exactly comparable to a Goliath like Bobby Lashley.

The truth is, this is probably a more difficult match-up for Shamrock than even Kimbo Slice was when they were scheduled to lock horns last October, simply because of Lashley’s versatility as a decorated amateur wrestler and his overall explosiveness.

Shamrock pulled out of that scheduled match with Slice on fight night due to a cut sustained in warm-ups, and has since been accused by younger brother Frank of cutting himself to get out of the fight.

Regardless of whether or not that’s true, the fact is that Shamrock hasn’t seen action inside a cage or ring against a guy as big and as dangerous as Lashley in a long time. This one could get ugly.

Also expected to be in action is the man who put an end to the Kimbo Slice hype train last October with a 14-second technical knockout, Seth Petruzelli. He’ll lock horns with ex-WEC 205 pound champion Doug “The Rhino” Marshall. Top heavyweights Roy “Big Country” Nelson and Jeff “The Snowman” Monson will also collide in a featured MMA fight as well.

The boxing portion of the event will be headlined by Roy Jones Jr. taking on Omar Sheika.

Stay tuned for more updates on “March Badness” as they become available.

nice Bobby Lashley's gonna pound on Ken Shamrock! ^_^

i loved Ken but can't he just fight at MW instead of trying to take on big guys like Lashley...

i mean he's got to admit to himself that he's no Randy Couture who can beat 45...

hehehe the Silverback wants to show he ain't done with his 15 minutes of fame, i do hope Petruzelli does well in his fight against the Rhino...

Big Country VS Monson is the battle of the huge fighters hehehe this would be interesting ^_^

its really good to see that Lashley is taking his time before entering the bigger promotions, he know's he's still green for MMA and i do hope one of these days, a couple more fights probably, Strikeforce would pick him up to be in their Roster, then he can work from there in getting into the bigger promotions

i'd like to see Lashley VS Brock someday as well ^_^

but before that it'll be Brock VS Carwin ^_^

UFC officially announces "UFC 98: Lesnar vs. Mir II" for May 23

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Mar 03, 2009 at 8:55 am ET

The UFC today officially announced UFC 98 and a rematch between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (3-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and interim heavyweight champion Frank Mir (12-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC).

The two champions will unify the titles at a pay-per-view event on May 23 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The event is also expected to feature the long-awaited match-up between Matt Hughes and Matt Serra, as well as lightweights Frank Edgar vs. Sean Sherk and welterweights Chris Wilson vs. Josh Koscheck.

Tickets for the event, which range from $75 to $800, go on sale to the general public beginning this Saturday, March 7 at 1 p.m. EST.

UFC Fight Club members can participate in a pre-sale beginning Thursday, March 5, at 1 p.m. EST, and UFC.com newsletter subscribers can buy tickets beginning Friday, March 6, at 1 p.m. EST.

Lesnar and Mir first met in early 2008 at UFC 81. In just his second professional fight, Lesnar faced the former UFC champion, who had been a shell of his former self since a serious motorcycle injury in 2004.

However, after being battered for a minute and a half with Lesnar's damaging ground and pound, Mir slapped on a kneebar and forced Lesnar to tap out in the first round. It remains the only loss of Lesnar's career.

Since that original meeting, Lesnar defeated Heath Herring to earn a title shot with Randy Couture, whom he TKOd at UFC 91. Mir, meanwhile, defeated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 92 to win the interim title.

"Brock Lesnar has been calling for a rematch with me ever since I beat him the first time," Mir stated. "All I can say to Brock is be careful what you wish for because I'm a better, smarter, stronger and faster fighter than I was the last time. He won’t be able to push me around like he's done (to) smaller opponents, and I'm looking forward to becoming undisputed champion again."

The latest rumored card now includes:

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification)

* Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra

* Frank Edgar vs. Sean Sherk

* Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Wilson

* Kyle Bradley vs. Phillipe Nover

* James Irvin vs. Drew McFedries

* Brandon Wolff vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida

* Houston Alexander vs. Andre Gusmao

* Pat Barry vs. Tim Hague

* David Kaplan vs. George Roop

source: http://mmajunkie.com/

on UFC 97:

why do they always send Jardine out to get smoked?

gonzaga/carwin looks to be entertaining though

he's like the UFC LHW gatekeeper...

if a fighter gets past him then they're ready for the bigboys in LHW division ^_^

i wish he'd duke it out with Rampage and then they'd both get KO'ed hehehe ^_^

Carwin is mothafuken huge!

Guys! Lets not forget to root for Mark Munoz! Pinoy ito 100%! Good wrestler he be up against Matt Hammil! WaR Munoz! :thumbsupsmiley:

hirap mag take ng side sa match na yun, Mark Munoz is pinoy kasi tapos handicap fighter naman si Matt Hamill ahehehe basta magandang laban yan ^_^

sana ipalabas yung laban ni Vera, nasa undercard na lang siya eh

Frank Mir injured and out of UFC 98 fight against Brock Lesnar

Interim heavyweight champion Frank Mir sustained a knee injury while training for his upcoming fight against Brock Lesnar at UFC 98: “Lesnar vs. Mir 2″ from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on May 23 and has been forced out of the main event.

Mir will require time to heal after recently undergoing minor knee surgery to repair the damage. He is expected to make a full recovery. There is no timetable for a return; however, the good news is that it could be as soon as this summer.

Therefore, the highly anticipated heavyweight title unification match appears to be temporarily on hold — not canceled — for now.

UFC 99: Ace Meets Axe

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9541/ufcl.jpg

Edited by textickles
Frank Mir injured and out of UFC 98 fight against Brock Lesnar

Interim heavyweight champion Frank Mir sustained a knee injury while training for his upcoming fight against Brock Lesnar at UFC 98: “Lesnar vs. Mir 2″ from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on May 23 and has been forced out of the main event.

Mir will require time to heal after recently undergoing minor knee surgery to repair the damage. He is expected to make a full recovery. There is no timetable for a return; however, the good news is that it could be as soon as this summer.

Therefore, the highly anticipated heavyweight title unification match appears to be temporarily on hold — not canceled — for now.

UFC 99: Ace Meets Axe

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9541/ufcl.jpg

bad news confirmed na to!!! i was lookin forward to a lesnar ass kikin panaman.. oh well, i guess we have to wait for that