Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Jon jones and the axe murderer

dude seriously? we are discussing what happened in ufc 196. and you post an out of the blue topic of jon jones and wanderlei just so you can have something to post? are you kidding me? i'm really heated right now coz my man lost, don't make me go out there and go Mcgregor on your ass coz i will. jesus christ! some of these posters are are f-ing annoying at times

Edited by hahnz
  • Like (+1) 1

Coming from the post UFC 196 press conference it looks like Holly wants a rematch and wants to get another fight quickly. Mcgregor said he will defend his featherweight crown and go up to Lightweight to fight either Dos Anjos or Nick Diaz if they fight each other for the Lightweight crown.

Will just have to wait on the next fight that White puts in for Holm, Tate, Mcgregor and Diaz but for now the next upcoming fight between Mark Hunt and Frank Mir is next on March 20

March 20, 2016

Brisbane

attachicon.gifUFC-Fight-Night-85.jpg

I think what he meant that Dana White would suddenly frown is because Mcgregor is pulling in the crowd and is a great hype machine for the UFC to rake in more money. If he loses to Diaz it would be like how Rousey lost, he needs that face for the UFC in order to make people want to come and watch the fights.

He used to have that with Jon Jones, so after he got suspended for that MVA, he looked to Ronda to hype up the fights, but after she lost to Holm he is now looking to Mcgregor to do that. God forbid, Mcgregor loses, it would get people to lose interest with no one to create the drama. But Jones is coming back in April so it would be interesting who the UFC would like to put up as their face for the company

Ah yeah, I get it now. Thanks bro. After all, in the end it's all a business for Dana White. Yeah, it's a passion for him of course, but you gotta admit that it's the cash flow that makes the entire UFC machinery work. And that's why he needs crowd-drawers like Ronda and McGregor.

Edited by Roman Rapido

I agree with the idea that Ronda and Holly should first do a rematch. Even if no belt is on the line, they'd still be better off doing it cuz both of them have something to prove: Ronda, that she can bounce back from such a god-awful defeat, and Holly, that her whooping Ronda was no fluke. On the business end of things, this will also make a lot of sense because it's gonna determine who's gonna fight Miesha for the championship. Also, this way, the belt will be able to stay in one place longer, instead of being passed around like a blunt.

As for The Notorious, ain't no shame in your game, son. It takes a grown man with huge balls to move up two whole friggin' weight divisions just to fight a last minute replacement. The adjustment that that entails, both with sacrificing speed and stamina in favor of bulking up, and changing the already-established game plan for RDA, is no small matter. Like he said, he'll fight ANYONE, regardless of the weight class. Now that's a badass warrior right there.

In hindsight, moving up that much in weight class was clearly not a good idea, but solid props to Connor McGregor for being a big boy and showing everyone why he's a champion. As for Nate, you can now buy your yacht.

I think Holm/Rousey II will be saved for UFC 200 whether or not there's a belt on the line. Dana's challenge is to build up another fighter that can draw so that a megafight of sorts with McGregor would be the headliner for UFC 200. If Dana is going to make UFC 200 his Wrestlemania, then CM Punk's debut match will probably be the perfect opening match of the event.

I think Holm/Rousey II will be saved for UFC 200 whether or not there's a belt on the line. Dana's challenge is to build up another fighter that can draw so that a megafight of sorts with McGregor would be the headliner for UFC 200. If Dana is going to make UFC 200 his Wrestlemania, then CM Punk's debut match will probably be the perfect opening match of the event.

And who might be the closest candidate for Dana's build-up project? After Connor's loss to Diaz today, I don't think he'll be excited to move across weight classes anytime soon.

Edited by Roman Rapido

And who might be the closest candidate for Dana's build-up project? After Connor's loss to Diaz today, I don't think he'll be excited to move across weight classes anytime soon.

Things will still develop and change between now and when UFC 200 happens. Maybe Faber moving up to featherweight vs. McGregor off the top of my head could be a good/great match-up on paper. Especially if Faber wins the rubber match against Domenik Cruz on UFC 199.

If it's about making a mega-fight, then somehow a Spider vs. McGregor catch-weight match would be intriguing. The only reason I say this (although it's unlikely to happen) is because Silva's chances of being in a title picture would be below the middleweight (and maybe even welterweight) class at this point.

Mcgregor is the real deal. He bit off more than he could chew but he did inflict damage on Diaz. He is a company man and he saved the main event even if it meant going up 170 pounds which is on Diaz's terms. Give Mcgregor a couple of months to train and I don't think Diaz wins. I think he will crush Frankie Edgar and beat Dos Anjos. When he steps in the octagon as a welterweight next time, he will be ready. What Mcgregor did, going up to 170 and taking on a different fighter on 10 days notice that you did not train for, is difficult to begin with, but he still went through with it.

I think McGregor's credit is for taking on a fight two weight classes up on short notice. But the training credit goes to Diaz because all he had for training is to practically go on a diet and maybe watch McGregor fights on youtube. I think Nate is right that the fight may have been more lopsided if he had a full training schedule to work with.

McGregor did not respect Diaz's chin and over-estimated his punching power to a bigger guy.

Georges St-Pierre's UFC 196 attendance fuels comeback rumors, Dana White and 'GSP' clear things up

post-481684-0-76100600-1457325023_thumb.jpg

Georges St-Pierre caused quite a stir last night (Sat., March 5,2016) as the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight champion of the world was in attendance for the UFC 196 pay-per-view (PPV) event in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Of course, the rare site sparked comeback rumors, as "GSP" isn't known for attending fights, especially since he walked away from mixed martial arts (MMA) in 2013.

But, as UFC president Dana White declared during the post-fight press conference, there are no immediate plans for "GSP's" return, despite the fact that the two have kept an open line of communication.

"It was a coincidence. There was no plan to have Conor call out Georges. That was never a plan. It's still a rumor (if St-Pierre returns). Georges Just wanted to come to the fights tonight; have we been talking to Georges? Yes we have. But, who knows. I honestly right here, right now don't know if Georges still wants to fight. I don't know."

Bummer.

To further confirm White's statement, Georges told UFC's Megan Olivi that his attendance was nothing more than him wanting to personally attend the event, as many of his training partners were also in town. Plus, his plans were already in motion to be in "Sin City," as he didn't want to miss the chance to see Conor McGregor make history

"It was a coincidence. There was no plan to have Conor call out Georges. That was never a plan. It's still a rumor (if St-Pierre returns). Georges Just wanted to come to the fights tonight; have we been talking to Georges? Yes we have. But, who knows. I honestly right here, right now don't know if Georges still wants to fight. I don't know."

So imagine if Conor (1) won that fight over Nate, and (2) during the octagon interview, called out GSP!

Mind. Blown.

Edited by Roman Rapido

According to Dana White who seems intent on getting the belt back for Ronda. He announced that Miesha Tate will face Rousey for the Bantamweight crown no date set yet but it will be the fight that will happen next. It seems that Tate has no control on who she fights as she was asked that question on who she's fighting next on the post UFC 196 press conference. Obviously the loss to Tate hurt Holly Holm's chances on getting a bigger payday if she had waited for the rematch with Rousey rather than get into it and fight again this soon which totally cost her that rematch which White admits should have happened.

Mcgregor mentioned that he will go back down to featherweight and defend his crown, which i think he will win. That division is all washed up Mcgregor really cleaned it. He would have gone on to fight Dos Anjos if he won over Nate in their fight. The loss obviously is a setback for him and he miscalculated on how Nate would take his Left punching power. He has power on that left hand seeing as it opened up a gash above Diaz's right eye but Nate is a scrapper he just kept on coming until he clocked Mcgregor.

One thing that i also saw was this was the 2nd time he had to fight a bigger fighter. Other than the Max Holloway fight. who was the other fighter that was bigger than him, Diaz being the 2nd. All his other fights in the FW division were all smaller than him so he had the advantage with his punching power. That power was good enough to hit Diaz but not enough to hurt him to get him in trouble.

He also admitted that he did learn from those mistakes he made in the fight and he will learn from them. For now, he will have to defend his belt. Win and then move up to Lightweight to fight the champion if its still Dos Anjos which i think is the more ideal weight class for his size.

i am looking forward to see a heated Holm against Rousey. The only way to get back at Tate is to defeat Rousey. I can see someone hitting the floor, grasping for breath and almost lifeless, but the question, is it Rousey or Holm? can't wait for that rematch.

the way mcgregor accepted defeat and chewed his failure after the fight. i can see a blazing mcgregor in his next fight. so who's the sacrificial lamb? :lol:

According to Dana White who seems intent on getting the belt back for Ronda. He announced that Miesha Tate will face Rousey for the Bantamweight crown no date set yet but it will be the fight that will happen next. It seems that Tate has no control on who she fights as she was asked that question on who she's fighting next on the post UFC 196 press conference. Obviously the loss to Tate hurt Holly Holm's chances on getting a bigger payday if she had waited for the rematch with Rousey rather than get into it and fight again this soon which totally cost her that rematch which White admits should have happened.

Obviously, Ronda is Dana's poster girl, and with good reason. However, it would be better for the sport if the athletes were given as close to equal a shot at getting that belt. Sometimes medyo illogical na kasi ang ginagawang matchups, not to mention the less than reasonable timing.

I'm no expert, but I am a fan. As one, I'd like to see Ronda and Holly scrap it up in a rematch especially because each of them has her own motivation. Ronda would like to kick Holly's ass (with or without a title on the line) because she almost slit her own wrist after that humiliating loss. Holly would also like to show the world (regardless of the loss against Miesha) that her win against Ronda was not a fluke.

That heated rematch - which I'm sure would rake in tons of money for Dana anyway - would then set the grand stage for a championship bout with Miesha (who would be able to hold that belt longer). That way, the choice as to who the challenger for the belt would be is practically in Ronda and Holly's hands, NOT in Dana's (who, let's admit it, has his own intentions whatever they may be).

Edited by Roman Rapido

Dana White did say before the Tate and Holm fight, that whoever was the winner will face Ronda so i guess he was expecting Holm to win but with Miesha Tate winning, i thought he would have changed his mind. When he made the announcement I'm guessing he wants Ronda back in the game and if the plan works out by having Ronda win back the belt. He might get Holm the rematch after that in order to get a big title fight with all the hype of and storylines behind it. A title fight is a bigger payday pay per view wise and its what the fans would want to see Holm and Ronda going at it again for the title. When Holm lost it sort of put the brakes on his plans i think. I read that he wanted Ronda to fight in the fall. So he probably expected Holm to have held on to the belt until then. But it sort of messed the plans when she lost to Tate. I have this feeling that he doesn't think too highly of Tate in terms of putting her out there as one of the faces of Women's MMA. I can actually tell which fighters Dana White sort of finds an affinity to in terms of using them to promote the UFC. I could be wrong about that but that's what i think. I would think he prefers guys like Jon Jones being the king the LHW division as opposed to Cormier. I kind of agree with him there because most people like Jones better than Cormier seeing as he was booed in the Unstoppable press conference even if he was the champion.

Same with Holly, most fans like Holly and Tate than Rousey. Because Rousey comes off as some arrogant bully. Even that crying bit she did on the Ellen Degeneres show didn't win her any points with the fans. It only made the fans more angry because they said she was faking and making up some sob story of killing herself because she lost to Holm. She does project that fake facade that's why people are put off by her but Dana likes her. I guess he likes that controversy since she does a good job hyping up her fights.

With Mcgregor, that lost is a setback because i was thinking, if he won that Diaz fight he would have gone on to UFC 200 to fight Dos Anjos. But its all good. I know he would win his next championship defense, he is just too big for that division and if he doesn't f#&k up his training and doesn't get too overconfident he will win that title defense and move up to lightweight to fight for the title.

I would think he prefers guys like Jon Jones being the king the LHW division as opposed to Cormier. I kind of agree with him there because most people like Jones better than Cormier seeing as he was booed in the Unstoppable press conference even if he was the champion.

Yeah, that was hella funny. You could see how serious and tense Cormier was during that presser, compared to how chill and relaxed Jones was. Cormier tried to put on a dry smile and fake laugh, but he was obviously affected with all the boos going on. Jon was very comfortable the entire time and just laughed at Cormier and his tirades. Jon has the confidence of a champion, regardless of all the crap he's had to deal with in his personal life. Cormier wanted to use that against Jon but the latter nonchalantly joked them off (much to the delight of the fans). Cormier has to learn not to take s@%t too damn seriously. :D

Ronda's head was already getting too big for her shoulders. Good thing Holly pulled her back to earth a notch, derailing Dana's plans, as you said.

The McGregor vs. RDA fight is still pushing through, isn't it? There's nobody left for Conor to fight in the featherweight division. Maybe Frankie Edgar?