Nba 2016-2017 Season! Let's Get It On!

Eddy Syet

facial defense. :lol:

this sounds wrong for different reasons lol hahaha :P

RE: Carlisle's extension: I just do hope Wes Matthews can recover fully from that bad achilles and that Parsons is worth the hype. Prolly get lucky with the draft lottery next year as well. I think the Mavs would really go places with Carlisle (though I was really impressed with Avery Johnson before; didn't know why the Nets sacked him before)

this sounds wrong for different reasons lol hahaha :P

RE: Carlisle's extension: I just do hope Wes Matthews can recover fully from that bad achilles and that Parsons is worth the hype. Prolly get lucky with the draft lottery next year as well. I think the Mavs would really go places with Carlisle (though I was really impressed with Avery Johnson before; didn't know why the Nets sacked him before)

Did you look at the Nets' win loss record when Avery was there?

2010-2011 Season - 24–58.

2011-2012 Season - 22–44 in the lockout-shortened season

Then he got fired after the in Dec after the team loss 10 out of their 13 games prior to his firing.

Did you look at the Nets' win loss record when Avery was there?

2010-2011 Season - 24–58.

2011-2012 Season - 22–44 in the lockout-shortened season

Then he got fired after the in Dec after the team loss 10 out of their 13 games prior to his firing.

well, the Nets had a hodgepodge of a roster back then a la New York last year. Prolly I'm basing it over the fact that he did well during his time in Dallas.

post-116634-0-60969300-1446842577_thumb.jpg

It's been only 5 games into the NBA season but I know this is gonna be fun. Let's check the current season's Top 10 scorers so far.

1. Stephen Curry / PG / Golden State 35.8 ppg

2. Kevin Durant / SF / Oklahoma City 29.8

3. Blake Griffin / PF / LA Clippers 28.2

4. Damian Lillard / PG / Portland 27.3

5. Russell Westbrook / PG / Oklahoma City 27.2

6. Bradley Beal / SG / Washington 25.3

7. James Harden / SG / Houston 23.8

8. Isaiah Thomas / PG / Boston 23.5

T-9

CJ McCollum / SG / Portland 22.2 ppg

Dwyane Wade / SG / Miami

LeBron James / SF / Cleveland

DeMar Derozan / SG / Toronto

Edited by Eddy Syet

bad showing by the Grizz again. Would Dave Joeger get axed then? Thibs is a defensive coach and he's available

The way the Grizzlies have been playing lately, it looks to me like the players have tuned out their coach and are not responding to him. Lackadaisical play and blowout losses. I think Joerger might be on the way out with the this is going.

NBA Expert Picks and Best Bets: Lakers look to sweep New York trip

By Zach Harper | NBA writer

November 8, 2015 10:01 am ET

post-481684-0-96563400-1447005955_thumb.jpg

Our CBSSports.com NBA Expert Picks for Sunday, November 8, 2015 from Ananth Pandian, Zach Harper and James Herbert. First we'll share our best bets for Sunday, then below, we'll measure ourselves against one another by picking three common games.

For SportsLine picks, click here.

For more CBS Sports Expert Picks, click here.

BEST BETS

Ananth Pandian: Thunder (-8) over Suns. After losing on national TV on Thursday night, the Thunder have plenty of motivation heading into this game. OKC has now lost two straight but look for that streak to come to an end against Phoenix on Sunday in a big way.

Zach Harper: Blazers (-1.5) over Pistons. Is the shooting of this Portland team sustainable? They're fifth in offensive rating, second in effective field-goal percentage and fifth in true shooting percentage. The Pistons enter the game with the third-best defense in the league, but it seems to have been done with a shaky second unit just waiting to have the dam break. I like the Blazers to win by a handful and keep this hot shooting going.

James Herbert: Knicks (-4.5) over Lakers. New York is desperate for a home win, and Los Angeles is doing almost everything wrong. The Lakers were fortunate to beat the Nets, and I'd be surprised if they were able to get another victory so soon.

Edited by hahnz

Why so? The Grizzlies have gone to the playoffs with him at the helm the past two seasons. But I think Hollins was perfect for them.

It's the way they've been playing lately and how they lost those games. You can take the fact that they've been a very competitive team the past few seasons but ironically why are they playing like this. Those games against teams like the Warriors and Cavs should have been at least close. Even if you take into consideration that the Warriors are the defending champs, with a talented team like the Grizzlies with their core players intact, they shouldn't be blown out by 50.

The business of competitive sports always has an unspoken rule. "Players win the game, coaches lose them" in this case the coach is always the first one to get the blame if the team is not performing or giving effort to play.

The firing of Lionel Hollins was a bit of surprise since they made the Western Conference finals the year before and has been consistent playoff contenders. But it might have stemmed from the fact that he was at odds with how management was dealing with players. He didn't like the Rudy Gay trade to Toronto and was vocal about it since he said he didn't agree with analytics being used by management in building the makeup of the players being brought in to the team.

I think it also had something to do with that but more importantly i think, Hollins was able to take them as far as he could and management thought a coaching change would probably get them over the hump. Like what happened to Mark Jackson of the Warriors when he was replaced by Kerr. People in the league liked Mark Jackson including his players Steph Curry. He turned that warriors team into a championship contender and had winning seasons until Kerr replaced him and finally got the team over the hump and win a championship

Speaking of Lionel Hollins, i think he might also be on the hotseat since the Nets are 0-7 right now. Still no win

Why so? The Grizzlies have gone to the playoffs with him at the helm the past two seasons. But I think Hollins was perfect for them.

The firing of Lionel Hollins was a bit of surprise since they made the Western Conference finals the year before and has been consistent playoff contenders. But it might have stemmed from the fact that he was at odds with how management was dealing with players. He didn't like the Rudy Gay trade to Toronto and was vocal about it since he said he didn't agree with analytics being used by management in building the makeup of the players being brought in to the team.

I think it also had something to do with that but more importantly i think, Hollins was able to take them as far as he could and management thought a coaching change would probably get them over the hump. Like what happened to Mark Jackson of the Warriors when he was replaced by Kerr. People in the league liked Mark Jackson including his players Steph Curry. He turned that warriors team into a championship contender and had winning seasons until Kerr replaced him and finally got the team over the hump and win a championship

Speaking of Lionel Hollins, i think he might also be on the hotseat since the Nets are 0-7 right now. Still no win

Hollins was fired because he was asking for a bigger extension. They plugged in Joerger because he was basically the same coach (Hollins' assistant during that time) and he was cheaper. If Joerger were to be fired, the Wolves may offer him a contract again depending as to whether they like Sam Mitchell at the helm (and I think Mitchell's a good coach). As for Hollins and the Nets losing? Well, it's expected given that they haven't faced a Sixers team as of this moment lol

and they couldn't reach a contract agreement. He wasn't fired. His contract wasn't renewed altogether

That's a press release talk. They wouldn't really disclose the real reason. That's why Hollins ripped them when he was interviewed. Its the same thing that happened to Mark Jackson when he was surprisingly replaced by Steve Kerr.

Its always an internal dispute between ownership and coach. e.g. Phil Jackson-Jerry Krause.

That's a press release talk. They wouldn't really disclose the real reason. That's why Hollins ripped them when he was interviewed. Its the same thing that happened to Mark Jackson when he was surprisingly replaced by Steve Kerr.

Its always an internal dispute between ownership and coach. e.g. Phil Jackson-Jerry Krause.

a coaching job is not a secured job in NBA..

but surprisingly i think only Coach Pop have the longest tenure as coach in NBA

a coaching job is not a secured job in NBA..

but surprisingly i think only Coach Pop have the longest tenure as coach in NBA

Among active coaches Popovich is the longest tenured coach for one team the Spurs 19 years since 1996. The only other guy that comes to mind that has the longest tenured coaching job with one team would be Jerry Sloan 23 years with the Jazz from 1985-2011

well, this dynamic would then fall on whether the coach delivers championships and not just wins, which was evident in the Mark Jackson saga.

The Phil Jackson- Jerry Krause feud originated from Jerry wanting more credit for the championships, being the GM for the bulls that time, he was the one who engineered the trades that brought Bill Cartwright, Scottie Pippen and drafted Horace Grant to the Bulls which ultimately contributed to the team winning the first 3 peat. He also drafted Toni Kukoc the player he has been eyeing from his scouting trips to europe. These types of moves rubbed their Star Player Michael Jordan the wrong way. He didn't like the Cartwright trade because his close friend on the team Charles Oakley was included. The Kukoc deal also pissed off MJ in a way because Krause was holidng out on signing a bigger contract extension to Scottie Pippen in order to offer more money to Kukoc.

MJ wanted Scottie to "get his money" since they had just repeated as champions (1991-1992). That's why they all got up on Kukoc's grill and made his life miserable on the court when the Dream Team faced Croatia in the Barcelona Olympics as a form of payback and F you to Krause for holding out on Pippens' contract.

Phil Jackson being the coach of the team didn't want to mess up the chemistry and bond of the team and didn't want to mediate between MJ and Krause. Off course MJ being the best player on the NBA at the time Phil would be wrong to side with Krause. He needed to placate his best player after all. It wasn't that he didn't like Krause but between him and MJ. MJ would always win that battle. So Phil devised this "Us against the world" mentality meaning the bulls team against Jerry Krause.

All throughout those championship years, people gave credit to Phil and it made Krause livid because he felt that he helped construct those teams that helped MJ win. (He was the one who made that Rodman trade happen that got Rodman to join the bulls). He felt that he didn't get enough credit for his contributions as GM. It didn't help that their franchise player didn't care much for him since Michael got to call the shots and wanted Phil as coach.

This all came to a head in the summer of 1997. The last year of the second 3 peat. Phil was supposedly getting a contract extension since that was his last year. Krause came into Phil's office and told him. "I don't care if we go 82-0 this season, you're done by the end of the year" That's why Phil came up with "The Last Dance" handbook he handed out to his players prior to starting training camp. This started the domino effect of the bulls dynasty being broken up. Who knows, the bulls might have won 1 or 2 more championships if they weren't broken up. I got to read Phil's book. "Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success" he outlined what happened between him and Krause on it.

The Mark Jackson firing had nothing to do with him not delivering a championship. He led the team to a winning percentage and made the playoffs. It had something to do with Jackson having friction with his coaching staff and often had clashes with people within the organization including the front office. His coaching had nothing to do with him being fired but winning wasn't enough for him to be kept on the team. He just had differing opinions with the front office on how to run the team, which staff to hire etc.. Mark Jackson had a good bond with his players including star Steph Curry but as a whole it wasn't enough. Ultimately Joe Lacob had no choice but to let him go for his good friend Steve Kerr.

The only knock on Kerr is that he inherited the team that Jackson built and certain people felt that if Jackson wasn't fired he would have won the championship as the coach instead of Kerr. Joe Lacob did specify these reasons when he was asked regarding the Jackson firing.

Edited by hahnz