LA Lakers

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151021/byron-scott-maintains-kobe-bryant-will-play-in-la-lakers-season-opener

Byron Scott maintains Kobe Bryant will play in LA Lakers season opener

post-481684-0-67418900-1445561759_thumb.jpg

EL Segundo >> For once, Lakers coach Byron Scott offered some doubt on Kobe Bryant. It all had to do with whether Bryant will play in the Lakers’ preseason finale against the Golden State Warriors on Thursday at Anaheim.

“Ninety-percent chance he will not play tomorrow,” Scott said. “There is a 10-percent chance he can convince me otherwise.”

Bryant has missed the Lakers’ last two preseason games and six practices in the past week after bruising his lower left leg last Tuesday against Sacramento in Las Vegas. Although Scott dismissed the significance of Bryant’s injury, the Lakers’ star has not completed any running exercises yet, either. But Scott remained adamant that Bryant “will be ready” for the Lakers’ season opener against Minnesota on Oct. 28 at Staples Center.

“I’m not in a hurry,” Scott said after practice Wednesday at the Lakers’ facility in El Segundo. “I don’t want him to lose his conditioning and I know he doesn’t want to lose it. But I’m still not in a real hurry. I’m not concerned.”

Apparently, neither are Bryant’s teammates. Lakers forward Metta World Peace deflected the speculation about Bryant’s health with a dose of humor.

“He’s not out,” World Peace said. “LeBron James is out. (Stephen) Curry didn’t start. (Michael) Jordan retired. But he said he might want to come back.”

How many points would the 52-year-old Jordan score if the Charlotte Hornets owner made his third NBA comeback?

“It depends how big his belly is,” World Peace said. “If he has a flat belly, I say 20 (points per game). If he has a big belly, I don’t know, sixth man.”

Bryant has averaged 13 points on 45.45-percent shooting and 1.4 assists in 18.1 minutes. But the Lakers have much higher expectations for Bryant, who is entering his 20th and perhaps final NBA season. He also will adorn the cover of the Lakers 2015-16 media guide with various images of his career, wearing both the Nos. 8 and 24 in a purple and gold uniform.

But Scott has become conservative with Bryant’s workload partly because he played a combined 41 games in the last two years amid season-ending injuries to his left knee and right shoulder. Scott also has stayed cautious because the exhibition season bodes more significance on ironing out rotations than maximizing results.

So will Scott become just as careful once the 2015-16 season starts because of Bryant’s recent injuries?

“That’s a different model. When you start the regular season, I don’t know too many teams where guys are all healthy,” Scott said. “You’re going to have your bumps and bruises. It’s a matter of ‘Are you hurt or are you injured?’ We know he’s been able to play through things that most guys can’t play through. When the season started, it’ll be totally different than it would be in the preseason.”

Yet, that could become a tricky balance.

Bryant has a proven track record in playing through countless knee, ankle and wrist injuries through 19 NBA seasons. But Bryant has played 55,415 career minutes in 1,500 games, numbers that could exacerbate the seriousness of any minor injury.

“Conversations will always be the determination. We have a great rapport,” said Scott, who mentored Bryant his rookie season. “He’s very honest with me when his body is not feeling good and he’s very honest with me when it is. I base it on those feelings.”

But the Lakers argue they could indirectly benefit from Bryant’s absence when the results still do not matter. They hope to ensure the team’s success does not hinge on Bryant’s health or effectiveness.

“We’re getting better even if Kobe’s not on the court,” Lakers forward Julius Randle said. “We’re all young and just trying to learn the game of basketball and get better and build. When Kobe is on the court, he’ll add that extra dimension we don’t have, obviously. But with or without him, we’re going to get better. We know what to expect when he comes back.”

Edited by hahnz

this story about kobe bruising his leg is cause for concern for laker fans. the season hasn't even started yet and he gets an injury. the real question now is how long will Kobe last before he gets injured and misses games due to injury. in all my years of watching Kobe play since his rookie year i've never seen him get an injury and miss more than 2 games. it sort of reminds me of Karl Malone on his last year with lakers when he got injured and missed a lot of games, same with charles barkley when he was on his last legs with the Houston Rockets. he missed more games than games played.

With the way Kobe's body is, i think he will get injured not before christmas and miss a ton of games due to that injury. if its not his surgically repaired knee, it might be something else that breaks down. im not trying to wish for kobe to get injured but with what i'm seeing, his fragile body will break down during this season.

the analysts might be right in saying that the lakers will miss the postseason again.

Kobe Bryant ranked 93rd in #NBArank countdown

ESPN.com’s #NBArank project is counting down the NBA’s top players for this upcoming season. Over 100 NBA experts from across ESPN (including analysts, writers, researchers and editors) participated in this season’s #NBArank project with the goal of ranking players in terms of both quantity and quality of each player’s contributions to his team’s ability to win games in the upcoming season.

The countdown continued on Wednesday with Nos. 100-91, with Kobe Bryant coming in at No. 93. Bryant was ranked No. 6 in the 2012-13 countdown, then dropped to No. 25 the following season and was No. 40 last year.

At No. 93, Bryant is still the highest-ranked player on the Los Angeles Lakers. Every other team in the NBA has at least one player ranked higher than him, making him the lowest-ranked "best player" on any team.

Bryant is slated to make $25 million this season, more than any other player in the NBA, and his $54 million over the past two seasons is by far the most of any player. We take a look at why Bryant has fallen so far:

Recent production

In the 41 games Bryant’s played over the last two seasons, he has averaged 21.1 points per game and shot under 38 percent from the field. That’s the worst field goal percentage over any two-year stretch in the shot-clock era in which a player averaged at least 20 points per game.

There were 18 games last season in which Bryant took at least 20 shots. He did not make half of them in any of those 18 games.

So why has his shooting percentage dropped?

Bryant is not getting as many close looks as in the past. Last season, 25 percent of his points came in the paint, the lowest mark of his career; entering last season, 34 percent of his career points came in the paint.

He is also not getting as many open looks. Last season, Bryant took 15 shots per game in which a defender was within 4 feet -- the highest average of any player in the NBA.

All this adds up to Bryant ranking 175th in half-court points per play out of the 185 players with at least 500 plays in the half court last season.

Less efficient

ESPN’s real plus-minus measures a player’s impact on team performance per 100 possessions. In general, it passes the smell test. The top five from a year ago? Stephen Curry, Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, LeBron James and Anthony Davis. There is also an offensive and defensive component.

Bryant ranked 245th in RPM last season. His rating on the defensive end ranked among the 20 worst in the NBA.

Though Bryant has been less efficient, the on-the-surface numbers are still there for him. Last season, he was one of five players to average 20 points, five rebounds and five assists. The others? James, Harden, Russell Westbrook and Blake Griffin.

What to expect

The 2015-16 season will be Bryant’s 20th in the NBA; he will break a tie with John Stockton for the most seasons played for one team in NBA history. Bryant will also become the first guard in NBA history to play a 20th season.

Can he stay healthy? There’s not much to go on historically to project health. Only five other players -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Kevin Garnett, Moses Malone, Robert Parish and Kevin Willis -- stuck around long enough to play a 20th season. Only Abdul-Jabbar and Parish managed to play in 60 games that season.

This will be Bryant's age-37 season. Out of the 72 NBA seasons by guards age 37 or older, two averaged 20 points per game (both of Michael Jordan’s Wizards seasons), 18 averaged double figures in points per game, and 23 played in at least 70 games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/110204/kobe-bryant-ranked-93rd-in-nbarank-countdown

sayang sana di sya tinrade ng Lakers tsk tsk

the reason why the lakers traded him away was because of the trade-exception they had available. they wanted to get rid of his contract off their books so they could sign a free agent for less money. plus i read that, they really didn't need him on the team anymore because Phil Jackson had left. this was after they loss to the eventual NBA champion Dallas Mavericks in 2011 in the first round. Mike Brown was hired as coach and his profile and skills didn't fit with Brown's system.

Odom didn't really want to leave. but he had no choice. He got depressed for being dumped in Dallas where he didn't even show any effort. i watched his games in Dallas and you could see he didn't want to be there, so they let him go.

good news is, he is rehabbing so hopefully he gets healthy again but im not sure if any NBA team will have any need for a player who is past his prime. He could probably sign for the veterans minimum for the lakers if they want him back. sort of what amare did for the heat. serve as a mentor for the young guys on the team

Wow. I'm totally surprised at the Lakers. Leading by as many as 13 points. Then letting the timberwolves come back. and to top it all off. Instead of giving the ball to Kobe to win the game Byron Scott instead gives it to Lou Williams who got a good look but shot it a little too strong at the rim.

Scott should have given the ball to Kobe. Kobe should have have spoken up at the timeout and said "I Want the ball".

He may be 37 years old but he still has the cojones or the balls should i say to demand the basketball at crunch time and try to win it. I don't know what's going on with Byron Scott. But i'm pretty sure he will be asked that question at the post game interview.

I'm interested in what Kobe will say as well to that question

Edited by hahnz

the reason why the lakers traded him away was because of the trade-exception they had available. they wanted to get rid of his contract off their books so they could sign a free agent for less money. plus i read that, they really didn't need him on the team anymore because Phil Jackson had left. this was after they loss to the eventual NBA champion Dallas Mavericks in 2011 in the first round. Mike Brown was hired as coach and his profile and skills didn't fit with Brown's system.

Odom didn't really want to leave. but he had no choice. He got depressed for being dumped in Dallas where he didn't even show any effort. i watched his games in Dallas and you could see he didn't want to be there, so they let him go.

good news is, he is rehabbing so hopefully he gets healthy again but im not sure if any NBA team will have any need for a player who is past his prime. He could probably sign for the veterans minimum for the lakers if they want him back. sort of what amare did for the heat. serve as a mentor for the young guys on the team

I think he was included in the multi-player deal that was supposed to net Paul for the Lakers but was unfortunately vetoed by then Commissioner Stern.

I think Odom was hurt by that move that he requested to be traded to a contender kaya napunta siya sa Dallas. Pero tama ka rin, mukhang hindi din na siya "fit" sa plano ni Mike Brown.

I think he was included in the multi-player deal that was supposed to net Paul for the Lakers but was unfortunately vetoed by then Commissioner Stern.

I think Odom was hurt by that move that he requested to be traded to a contender kaya napunta siya sa Dallas. Pero tama ka rin, mukhang hindi din na siya "fit" sa plano ni Mike Brown.

You're right it was originally the CP3 deal where he was supposed to go. But still, if you were in Odom's shoes, and you like LA and you don't want to leave. and the team tried to trade you not once (CP3 deal) but twice. After learning that he got fed up with the team and asked to be traded but out of all the teams he thought he didn't think Dallas would be one of them. I read the story on espn i think and that's how i learned that he really felt hurt with how the team treated him with the whole trade situation and he got so depressed it affected his play when he got to Dallas.

The whole "he didn't fit with Mike Brown" was also true. i read that too on a sports column. They also mentioned that his contract was a big load so they wanted to get rid of it seeing that it was also his last year.

Kulang sa chemistry ang ating mahal na lakers ngayun, malalakas ang players pero tingin ko coaching staff ang problema... Pero nakakaproud tlga si jordan clarkson wooohoo

Chemistry? i don't think Chemistry is their problem, they just don't have enough talent in their roster to compete. They tried to get Lamarcus Aldridge but failed to the smaller market team San Antonio Spurs. Hibbert is no Lamarcus,

They could have used someone who can be an offensive threat like Aldridge but LA didn't seem appealing to him. So they ended up with Hibbert. A good defender but not an offensive threat.

Clarkson, Russell, Randle are talented but young and inexperienced and still developing.

right now they are ranked 16th in offensive efficiency scoring 99.2 points per 100 possessions

but the problem with that is they give up too many points from the other team. they are almost dead last in defensive efficiency allowing 111.7 points per 100 possessions. which is ranked 28 in the league.

RK TEAM PACE AST TO ORR DRR REBR EFF FG% TS% OFF EFF DEF EFF

LA Lakers 105.2 13.7 12.8 21.4 76.7 47.4 45.7 51.9 99.2 111.7

Byron Scott is actually giving them a lot of freedom in speeding up the pace of the game which benefits the young guys like clarkson, russell and randle. It's their defense that they need to improve. How can you win a game if you can't keep the defense from scoring.

Their upcoming game against Denver and Brooklyn. Both teams struggling to find scorers to give them life on offense. These 2 games should be winnable for the Lakers assuming they keep their sh.it together and DEFEND

Edited by hahnz

'Really angry' with himself, Kobe Bryant granted practice day off

post-481684-0-55800300-1446579656_thumb.jpg

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- A day after calling himself "the 200th-best player in the league right now" and saying "I freaking suck," a struggling Kobe Bryant was given the day off from Lakers practice Monday because he was "really angry" with himself, Lakers coach Byron Scott said.

"I said, just stay away from the gym today," Scott said after the team's practice at their facility here. "Just spend some time with your kids and family and get basketball off your mind for 24 hours if you can -- which I don't think he can -- and then come in tomorrow fresh and we'll go from there."

Bryant is averaging 17.3 points but on 31.3 percent shooting from the floor, including 20.7 percent shooting from 3-point range.

"I just can't make a shot," Bryant said after Sunday's loss to the Dallas Mavericks, during which he missed 12 of 15 shots while scoring 15 points.

Scott said Monday that he's fine with Bryant's shot selection and that he's not concerned with Bryant in general.

"He's going to get to the Kobe that we know," Scott said. "It's just three games into the season. It's still very early."

"We're going to keep feeding him. ... He's in the gym 24-7. It's not that he's not putting in the work," rookie point guard D'Angelo Russell said. "It's just, the basketball gods aren't blessing him right now with making shots. But they'll fall. Then we won't be having this conversation."

Added Scott: "He's frustrated. ... He's just one of those guys that he expects a lot more out of himself than most people. He's very hard on himself."

Scott also said that he doesn't expect the 37-year-old Bryant, whose past three seasons have all been cut short by injury, to play in all 82 regular-season games this season.

"I think if we can get him to 60-something [games], I think that would be great," Scott said.

When asked when Bryant would sit out games to rest, Scott said he didn't know.

"I haven't really looked at the schedule for those rest games," Scott said. "I'm just taking it one game at a time right now."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14039529/kobe-bryant-losangeles-lakers-really-angry-gets-day-practice

if Kobe can get out of his shooting slump he can give some boost to these lakers if this is going to be his last year.

Edited by hahnz

The only way for Kobe to end his shooting slump is for him to pick better shots. I cant believe all those stupid 3pointers he took which all looked out of rhythm and with a man in his face. That needs to end.

Clarkson and Randle are the only reason I watch Laker games on my league pass these days. Sadly, Kobe days are gone and the kids need to run the show this season.

The only way for Kobe to end his shooting slump is for him to pick better shots. I cant believe all those stupid 3pointers he took which all looked out of rhythm and with a man in his face. That needs to end.

Clarkson and Randle are the only reason I watch Laker games on my league pass these days. Sadly, Kobe days are gone and the kids need to run the show this season.

Add to that the fact that they're misusing Russell... :mellow:

Add to that the fact that they're misusing Russell... :mellow:

It's kinda hard to use Russell as a ball-handler right now. Clarkson and Randle are both ball-dominant. I actually think Russell could work well with the bench guys for now. Let him gain confidence by being the leader of the second unit.

Coz if you are gonna start him and not let him lead the team as the floor general, then the kid will lose confidence. His role is to run plays and right now, i dont see much of that. It is so frustrating but this is reality. Most likely another season out of the playoffs. I wish the kids could at least show that our future will be alright with them in tow.

Edited by TidusJanus