South China/West Philippine Sea

http://www.rappler.com/nation/146103-duterte-stops-joint-patrols-south-china-sea

Duterte wants to stop joint patrols in West PH Sea

'I will not allow it because I do not want my country to be involved in a hostile act,' says President Duterte

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte said he wants to stop joint maritime patrols in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) even after an arbitral tribunal had ruled in favor of the country's legal claim over the territory.

“We will not join any expedition or patrolling. I will not allow it because I do not want my country to be involved in a hostile act,” Duterte said on Tuesday, September 13, during the anniversary of the Presidential Airlift Wing at Villamor Air Base.

Duterte wants to take out joint patrols in waters that an arbitral tribunal in the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague, the Netherlands had declared belongs to the Philippines and not to China.

Former British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain comes to mind when he said on 30 September 1938 "Peace for our time" with regard to his meeting with Chancellor Adolf Hitler of Germany regarding the Munich Accords.

20th Century Version 21st Century Version

United Kingdom Philippines

Germany P.R. China

Neville Chamberlain Du30

Adolf Hitler Xi Jin Ping

Munich Agreement South China Sea Ruling favoring The Philippines

Czech People 101 Million Filipinos due to the __________________ of 16 Million Filipinos.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I also would not want the Philippines to participate in any joint patrol beyond our EEZ boundaries.

We must make our intentions clear to both the USA & China.

We are only interested in unhindered sovereignty over our own Exclusive Economic Zone.

We are not interested in becoming part of the Anti Access/Area Denial (A2/AD) strategies against China. We should, after all, accept the fact that China needs to secure the South China Sea for its own self defense.

I also would not want the Philippines to participate in any joint patrol beyond our EEZ boundaries.

We must make our intentions clear to both the USA & China.

We are only interested in unhindered sovereignty over our own Exclusive Economic Zone.

We are not interested in becoming part of the Anti Access/Area Denial (A2/AD) strategies against China. We should, after all, accept the fact that China needs to secure the South China Sea for its own self defense.

Pre, ako din BEYOND our EEZ... eh kaso ang sabi nya BEYOND our Territorial waters ayaw na nya mag-patrol. Territorial waters lang daw papatrolin nya... So yung EEZ natin, pinamigay na nya in effect.

Ano ba sinabi niya?

During PDut visit to Indonesia, he was saying "Only china will help us. “China offered to build the rehab… They are bringing the materials there already.“I would like to thank China for being generous to us,” he said. he was thanking the country which is the main source of drugs in the philippines. sino ba mostly nahuhuli sa drug bust ng mga shabu lab, di ba panay chinese. and in the said forum, he criticize US sa mga donations sa AFP na kesyo pang ceremonial lang or whatsoever. wala ba syang idea how much aid the AFP get from the US. see the irony there? yung war na wina wage nya ngayon sa drugs, dahil yan sa mga chinese..

Edited by Sam1226

yung war na wina wage nya ngayon sa drugs, dahil yan sa mga chinese..

Yung supplier ay chinese not the chinese govt. Alam mo ba mahigpit ang China sa drugs? Kaya nga death penalty agad sa kanila yan kahit citizen nila. That's why many chinese are going here sa Phil. kasi madaling makalusot dito. Pera pera lang ayus na agad. China is supporting Duterte on his drug campaign but not the US. We all know hindi naman tayo bibitawan ng US kasi tayo lang naman ang strong ally niya sa SEA and our geographic position is strategic for them.

our geographic position is strategic for them.

Not anymore... The Yanks are already warming up to the Viets, even lifting the major US Weapons export ban to the Vietnamese... Hindi na tayo ganon kalaking kawalan sa mga Kano kung magtutuloy-tuloy na sila ng partnership nila with Vietnam even if Vietnam is a commie country who kicked their behind a couple of decades ago... The enemy of my enemy is my friend kung baga...

Ang isa pang gusto ng mga Kano sa mga Viets according to my friends in Santolan, The Viets put their money where their mouth is... BUMIBILI ng sarili nilang Hardware (Subs, Frigates, Fighter Planes) hindi katulad ng mentalidad ng liderato ng Pilipinas, asal pulubi... Hingi lang ng hingi (though in fairness the PNoy admin was admired by the Yanks, kaya kung titignan mo the Military aid during the time of PNoy increased, kungbaga tinatapatan nila ng Aid yung gastos natin)... Yung Amerika parang tao lang din yan, sasawaan magbigay kung parang linta na lang yung binibigyan nila...

Ang isa pang gusto ng mga Kano sa mga Viets according to my friends in Santolan, The Viets put their money where their mouth is... BUMIBILI ng sarili nilang Hardware (Subs, Frigates, Fighter Planes) hindi katulad ng mentalidad ng liderato ng Pilipinas, asal pulubi... Hingi lang ng hingi (though in fairness the PNoy admin was admired by the Yanks, kaya kung titignan mo the Military aid during the time of PNoy increased, kungbaga tinatapatan nila ng Aid yung gastos natin)... Yung Amerika parang tao lang din yan, sasawaan magbigay kung parang linta na lang yung binibigyan nila...

I agree with this. We should spend to upgrade our defense capability instead of acting like a beggar waiting for freebies from othe countries.

But I disagree with your premise giving Noynoy Aquino all the credit. The Ramos and GMA administrations paved the way for planning ansd strategizing the AFP modernization. Nagkataon lang na sa panahon ni Noynoy na-deliver yung resulta ng programa.

GMA's Defense Secretary and later on, Energy Secretary - General Angelo Reyes was the one who planned for the acquisition of offshore patrol ships, frigates to defend Malampaya assets and our EEZ, which were eventually delivered during BS Aquino's administration.

I agree with this. We should spend to upgrade our defense capability instead of acting like a beggar waiting for freebies from othe countries.

But I disagree with your premise giving Noynoy Aquino all the credit. The Ramos and GMA administrations paved the way for planning ansd strategizing the AFP modernization. Nagkataon lang na sa panahon ni Noynoy na-deliver yung resulta ng programa.

GMA's Defense Secretary and later on, Energy Secretary - General Angelo Reyes was the one who planned for the acquisition of offshore patrol ships, frigates to defend Malampaya assets and our EEZ, which were eventually delivered during BS Aquino's administration.

Yes they planned it, but it was the choice of the Minion if he would implement it or not, tweak it or not, or just plain dump it.

Case in point the Hamiltons, 18 units of SF-260 Trainer planes and 8 Sokol Combat Utility Helicopters from Poland. The PNoy admin wanted 3 Hamiltons as opposed to Angie's original plan of only 2 units. The SF-260s they went with it according to the original plan of GMA and the 8 Sokols, instead of using it as CUH they put it under the 505th Search and Rescue Group of the PAF and bought 8 Brand New Bell 412EPs instead from Canada. (Paano yung Sokol was not deemed fit to be a CUH, oversight nung past DND leadership, maliit yung pinto, pwede lagyan ng machine gun kaso hindi makalabas sundalo, dapat muna tanggalin machine gun para makalabas yung tropa. Tapos yung pinto sa passenger compartment sa right side nasa likod, malapit sa tail, yung sa left side nasa likod lang ng piloto, paano ka magsasakay ng casualty na naka stretcher nun nang mabilisan diba?

Also the original plan with regard to the Lead In Fighter Trainer birds under the GMA Admin was for only 6 birds and they were leaning heavily on the TA-50 model of KAI. The Abnoy admin instead went for 12 birds and the FA-50 model which is more capable than the TA-50 variant.

Kung ano man meron AFP ngayong araw na ito, i give credit to the GMA and Abnoy People in the DND and Malacanang. Si Ramos? wala eh...

Thanks for the

Yes they planned it, but it was the choice of the Minion if he would implement it or not, tweak it or not, or just plain dump it.

Case in point the Hamiltons, 18 units of SF-260 Trainer planes and 8 Sokol Combat Utility Helicopters from Poland. The PNoy admin wanted 3 Hamiltons as opposed to Angie's original plan of only 2 units. The SF-260s they went with it according to the original plan of GMA and the 8 Sokols, instead of using it as CUH they put it under the 505th Search and Rescue Group of the PAF and bought 8 Brand New Bell 412EPs instead from Canada. (Paano yung Sokol was not deemed fit to be a CUH, oversight nung past DND leadership, maliit yung pinto, pwede lagyan ng machine gun kaso hindi makalabas sundalo, dapat muna tanggalin machine gun para makalabas yung tropa. Tapos yung pinto sa passenger compartment sa right side nasa likod, malapit sa tail, yung sa left side nasa likod lang ng piloto, paano ka magsasakay ng casualty na naka stretcher nun nang mabilisan diba?

Also the original plan with regard to the Lead In Fighter Trainer birds under the GMA Admin was for only 6 birds and they were leaning heavily on the TA-50 model of KAI. The Abnoy admin instead went for 12 birds and the FA-50 model which is more capable than the TA-50 variant.

Kung ano man meron AFP ngayong araw na ito, i give credit to the GMA and Abnoy People in the DND and Malacanang. Si Ramos? wala eh...

Thanks for the additional info.

The third Hamilton is in keeping with the Navy's peacetime doctrine of operating their units in threes. One unit will be out on patrol, one stays at port on stand-by, and one unit in dock for maintenance, repairs, or re-fitting works. The original planned two unit is based on the assumed procurement prices at that time vs. our paying capacity. But I'm sure the acquisition of the third unit is not BS Aquino's idea but by the forward-looking Navy leadership.

The aircraft procurement, again, was based on the best our limited funds can buy.

It's true that the original plan was to buy TA-50, because during GMA's time, the FA-50 was still under development and was not yet certified for the additional weapons and avionics that it is supposed to carry. There were a lot of prolonged negotiations between Lockheed-Martin and KAI in upgrading the weaponry, radar, and avionics of FA-50 because Lockheed-Martin does not want the FA-50 to have capabilities at par with the F-16. From what I understand, a single-seat version, F-50, can theoretically have same capabilities as the F-16, or even better if fitted Israeli Python/Derby missile system in conjunction with helmet-mounted sight & display for target acquisition.

Edited by camiar

Thanks for the

Thanks for the additional info.

The third Hamilton is in keeping with the Navy's peacetime doctrine of operating their units in threes. One unit will be out on patrol, one stays at port on stand-by, and one unit in dock for maintenance, repairs, or re-fitting works. The original planned two unit is based on the assumed procurement prices at that time vs. our paying capacity. But I'm sure the acquisition of the third unit is not BS Aquino's idea but by the forward-looking Navy leadership.

The aircraft procurement, again, was based on the best our limited funds can buy.

It's true that the original plan was to buy TA-50, because during GMA's time, the FA-50 was still under development and was not yet certified for the additional weapons and avionics that it is supposed to carry. There were a lot of prolonged negotiations between Lockheed-Martin and KAI in upgrading the weaponry, radar, and avionics of FA-50 because Lockheed-Martin does not want the FA-50 to have capabilities at par with the F-16. From what I understand, a single-seat version, F-50, can theoretically have same capabilities as the F-16, or even better if fitted Israeli Python/Derby missile system in conjunction with helmet-mounted sight & display for target acquisition.

Yes, the Rule of 3s...

FA-50 can do about 80% of what a frontline F-16 C/D can do... REad it somewhere, forgot na kung saan... Basta Lockheed Martin nag thumbs down na gawin ng KAI na 100% capability ng F-16 kayang gawin ng FA-50...

Plus during the time of the Minion instead of 6 birds they upped the ante and bought 12 instead...

Yes, the Rule of 3s...

FA-50 can do about 80% of what a frontline F-16 C/D can do... REad it somewhere, forgot na kung saan... Basta Lockheed Martin nag thumbs down na gawin ng KAI na 100% capability ng F-16 kayang gawin ng FA-50...

Plus during the time of the Minion instead of 6 birds they upped the ante and bought 12 instead...

I know there are pros and cons but is it more practical to just purchase more attack helicopters esp. with night vision capability?

As a point of contention the "theoretical same capabilities" of the F-50 to the F-16 is supposedly all on paper and has not been backed by any actual physical evidence given the same skill of the pilots, of course if one puts a veteran pilot in the F-50 and a newbie on the F-16 the odds of the F-50 outperforming the F-16 is far greater. On the other hand, regardless of 6 birds or 12 birds, it's a far cry from the PLA's current fighting strength, perhaps Duterte is wise to try to appease the PRC because of the weakness of the AFP compared to the PLA.

AFP PLA

Active Personnel 220,000 2,300,000

Reserve Personnel 430,000 585,000

Fighter Aircraft (Jets) 2 728

Multi-Role Jets 0 312

Aircraft Carrier 0 1

Destroyers 0 27

Frigates 3 47

Corvettes 11 27

Can anyone say outmatched by a margin of over 10 to 1? The problem is that the Philippines is full of arrogant arses that talk big but let's face it, it's all saliva and spit, if it comes to an actual war with the PRC the RP would be screaming for help from the USA, the only question is ... will they be willing to lose lives for the sake of a country that has been boasting about "kicking" them out and of being "independent".

I know there are pros and cons but is it more practical to just purchase more attack helicopters esp. with night vision capability?

Jets vs. Helicopters

PRC Jets fly in

AFP Helicopters fly up

PRC Jets radar detects helicopters

PRC Jets launch AA missiles vs. helicopters

AFP Helicopters go down in flames.

Helicopters are good in supporting ground operations, but without air superiority they are just waiting to be shot down.

Edited by TheSmilingBandit

As a point of contention the "theoretical same capabilities" of the F-50 to the F-16 is supposedly all on paper and has not been backed by any actual physical evidence given the same skill of the pilots, of course if one puts a veteran pilot in the F-50 and a newbie on the F-16 the odds of the F-50 outperforming the F-16 is far greater. On the other hand, regardless of 6 birds or 12 birds, it's a far cry from the PLA's current fighting strength, perhaps Duterte is wise to try to appease the PRC because of the weakness of the AFP compared to the PLA.

AFP PLA

Active Personnel 220,000 2,300,000

Reserve Personnel 430,000 585,000

Fighter Aircraft (Jets) 2 728

Multi-Role Jets 0 312

Aircraft Carrier 0 1

Destroyers 0 27

Frigates 3 47

Corvettes 11 27

Can anyone say outmatched by a margin of over 10 to 1? The problem is that the Philippines is full of arrogant arses that talk big but let's face it, it's all saliva and spit, if it comes to an actual war with the PRC the RP would be screaming for help from the USA, the only question is ... will they be willing to lose lives for the sake of a country that has been boasting about "kicking" them out and of being "independent".

It's not about arrogance... It's about us regaining lost skills that already existed before... You have to understand that the 1st Lieutenants, Captains and Majors that last flew our F-5s in 2005 were already poached by the airlines and or are now General Officers in the PAF flying desks doing administrative duties... They had no one else to pass to the skills that hey had acquired...

Besides, the FA-50PH is a Lead In Fighter TRAINER that can do some light combat stuff... Still, it's primary purpose is that of a trainer... We bought the said birds not because we want to fight China, but to train a new breed of fighter pilots that we will be needing... The Philippine Economy is now getting better, and with that, we should have a corresponding investment in our armed forces... A country that is prosperous but has no means to defend itself, or at least make the enemy bleed so bad will never be respected and will always be A.) Manipulated or B.) Subjugated...

Also, let us not delude ourselves that we can go toe to toe with China this time, but let us also not use this excuse to become a nation with a self-defeating attitude becuase if we do, eh talagang wala tayong mararating...

During the 1700s when the United States fought for it's Independence, they constructed 6 Frigates... Yes, that's right, SIX as in ANIM against the Royal Navy's far more modern fleet of 500+ vessels comprised of Corvettes, Frigates and Battleships... Less than 200 years later, the Royal Navy is but a shadow of its former self kowtowing to the USN...

Same goes with China... During the 70s-mid 90s how many vessels did they have??? Madami nga panay antiquated naman... They quietly retired the old vessels and bought pa-isa-isa, pa-dalawa-dalawa from the Russians, same with their Air Force... Tignan mo sila ngayon...

So what kung 12 lang na TRAINER pa binili natin as against China's PLAAF, all of us starts somewhere naman either as individuals or nation-states... The point is ACTUALLY STARTING and SUSTAINING... Copy-Paste natin si Deng Xiaoping... Let's bide our time sabi nga nya...

Those 12 FA-50PH LIFTS are an investment for our future, for our kids... Key word investment... Coming from a military family and knowing our politicians, I never thought that i would actually see supersonic birds in our PAF again during my lifetime and i'm only in my mid 30s... Mentality na lang naming mga AFP watchers re the FA-50s non is "Until the rubber (wheels) hits the runway, wag na tayo umasa jan sa 12 FA-50PH na yan... They can cancel that deal anytime..." That's why when Duterte said that all contracts already approved by the Aquino admin be not tinkered with, many of us heaved a sigh of relief...

We already did... we bought 13 AW109 Power Helicopter from Italy... They all have night flying and fighting capabilities... All 8 birds for the PAF will be armed with 2 GPMGs and 6 laser guided rockets... The 5 birds for the PN however, only 3 are armed with the same weapons as the PAF with the 2 birds that are unarmed to be dedicated trainers but still have night flying capabilities...

When Pope Francis was here, the first 3 AW-109s that we had, all from the PN were the ones hovering over the Papal Nuncio during night time taking shifts to provide cover for the Pope...

Plus we are also in the market for 6 Close Air Support aircraft... The crowd favorite at Villamor is the Brazilian Super Tucanos... propeller engined birds but have advanced avionics also with night time flying/fighting capabilities...

Kailangan lang talaga balansehin yung budget ng AFP for Modernization... Unlike during the 90s-2010 when budget wise, the PA dominated the scene hence napabayaan yung PAF and PN...

What I can't fathom is why can't we have AH-64 Apaches, M1A1 Abrams', F-15 Strike Eagles when Saudi Arabia have those. Kung puede din sana, Ohio class aka Trident submarines and Los Angeles class attack submarines aka hunter-killers, kahit isang "hunter-killer" lang. But I reckon that they are way out of our league as far as the defense budget is concerned.

Now, Duterte is right in not engaging China because engaging them in the Spratlys would be bloody. We just don't have the technology and manpower to be able to put a decent fight against the Chinese.

Funding, Political Will, Doctrine, Expertise and Infrastructure.

Funding - Why buy Apaches when the Powers can do the job? We can already purchase X number of Powers as against 1 Apache. Remember, our funding is limited.

Political Will - After the paying the sticker price is the logistics and maintenance costs. Taon-taon iba-budget yan at taon-taon haharangin ng mga anti-AFP... "Yung pera ng AFP ilang hospital, paaralan, health center at basketball courts na maipapagawa nyan..." are a common mentality of our legislators.

Doctrine - Who will you use the Apaches on? MILF? MNLF? ASG? PAG? The Powers can do the job, why splurge on Apaches when we are not facing any hard targets like MBTs and IFVs?

Expertise - Maintenance wise, our technicians either in the PAF and PN do not yet have the expertise to maintain such complex machines... Learn to crawl before you walk ika nga... If our PAF and PN guys can prove that with adequate economic and training support and they maintain our new hardware like the Powers, FA-50PHs, C-295s and upcoming 2 new Frigates and upcoming 2 new Anti-sub birds in the years to come, then if we have the financial capability, saka tayo tumalon sa mga Apache and Abrams MBTs...

Infrastructure - Do we have existing the existing infrastructure to house hi-tech and costly equipment and maintenance facilities to fix them if they encounter the occasional breakdowns?

Bottom line, hindi porke medyo meron na tayong pera ngayon bili na tayo agad ng medyo latest equipment... That's why the Pentagon thumbed down our request for 12 SECONDHAND F-16s 3 years ago and instead offered us C-130s na lang, kase sila mismo nakita nila... "Yun ngang mga F-8 Crusaders na binigay namin sa inyo dati at discounted prices (which is more complicated than our F-5 Freedom Fighters) hindi nyo na-maintain ng mabuti, sayang lang pera nyo. Pakita nyo muna samin na kaya nyo i-maintain ng matino yang mga parating nyong FA-50PH."

What I can't fathom is why we can't have AH-64 Apaches, M1A1 Abrams', F-15 Strike Eagles when Saudi Arabia have those. Kung puede din sana, Ohio class aka Trident submarines and Los Angeles class attack submarines aka "hunter-killers", kahit isang "hunter-killer" lang. But I reckon that they, the "hunter-killers" are way out of our league as far as the defense budget is concerned.

Now, Duterte is right in not engaging China because engaging them in the Spratlys would be a massacre. We just don't have the technology and manpower to be able to put a decent fight against the Chinese.

Why can't we have AH-64 Apaches? Because we don't need them. Apaches are tank killers. Unlike other ASEAN countries, we are an island archipelago. If any neighboring country will invade us, it will not be by tanks crossing land borders, but by ships and landing crafts to our shores. Instead of tank killers, we need ship killers.

Why can't we have M1A1 Abrams? Again, because we don't need them. Our defense forces are not likely to fight enemy Main Battle Tanks. We will most likely face an invading army bringing in landing crafts, lightweight amphibious tanks, attack planes and helicopters. To defend against these, we need field artillery, armored fighting vehicles, mobile Anti-Aircraft guns and missile systems, and mechanized infantry.

Why can't we have F-15 Strike Eagles? Because light fighters like JAS-39 Gripen, F-16 Falcons, IAI Kfir, can be just as effective in defending our skies. Big heavy fighters like the F-15, F-14, F-22, MIG-29, SU-27, SU-35 etc... are built for offense. They have to be big enough to carry more fuel for endurance in carrying large loads of bombs and missiles over long distances for attack missions (e.g. to invade another country). To defend against these planes. we need supersonic but uncomplicated light interceptors that carry advanced anti-air missiles. All of those expensive heavy fighters can be defeated by cheap AIM-9L Sidewinder missiles. In defensive role, small is beautiful.

Edited by camiar

I have no idea what "powers" is.

Duterte has an abundance of this and I would like to think Congress would follow his lead. Maybe, he will upgrade our military hardware somewhere along the line since he does not want mediocre equipment when he talks with the AFP units in different bases around the country.

I never said anything about the insurgents. Besides, there is a ceasefire now with the MN, MI and NPA. I was talking of using these on the Chinese should the situation call for it.

I agree. However, they can always be trained to maintain the hardware.

Basa Air Force Base in Floridablanca, Pampanga and Villamor Base for the fighter jets and Fort Bonifacio for the attack helicopters.

We have to start somewhere. Don't you think?

1.) Agusta Westland 109 Power light attack and recon helicopter. Good enough for soft targets i.e. enemy infantry and light vehicles like technicals.

2.) The Chinese will never invade the mainland Philippines because of a simple piece of papel de hapon called the RP-US Mutual Defense Treaty... A papel de hapon we are blessed with of which Vietnam lacks, hence the usual bullying which sometimes turns into actual firefights between the Chinese and Viets..

3.) Kaya nga, mag train muna sa mga basic to build up experience and confidence before they tinker with the expensive and complicated stuff. Some thngs need time and experience to gain, hindi lahat nadadala sa pera.

4.) Basa at Fernando??? Have you actually seen their runways recently??? There's a reason why our first 2 FA-50s are based in Clark...

5.) Of course we have to start somewhere gaya ng sinabi ko. Kaya nga ang sabi nung mga Kano, pakita nyo muna samin na kaya nyo i-maintain ng ilang taon yang FA-50 PHs nyo bago kayo bumalik samin for some F-16s... Them Yanks have long memories and up until now, hindi pa din mabura sa kokote nila the fracas that the PAF did with our F-8 Crusaders...

Another example of Infrastructure defeciency that we have ha... Bigyan ko kayo ng sample ha... Tignan nyo mga tulay natin, the usual capacity of our bridges are at the 20-30 metric ton range... Gano kabigat yung isang M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank aber??? SIXTY (60) metric tons... Oh paano ngayon yang Abrams mo??? Nganga???

Japan is also an island archipelago but they have Apaches and so does Singapore. In the event that an invading country lands in the Spratlys, you would need Apaches to take out the tanks, APCs and personnel trucks that will be transported by landing crafts.

Dito pumapasok yung Doctrine... Different folks, different strokes ba... We have space to trade for time... We have an MDT with the Yanks... We are protected by the various seas surrounding our country....

Singapore on the other hand is a city state... In our case, we lose Northern Luzon, ok lang... We lose Central Luzon, ok lang... We lose Central Visayas, ok lang... we lose the entire Mindanao, ok lang...

In the case of Singapore, kaya sila nagsplu-splurge sa gamit is they don't have the space to trade for time... Sila ang doctrina nila malayo pa lang salubungin mo na... Ang mindset nila, once a single enemy rifleman sets foot on the city, it's game over for them...

We have an MDT with the most militariraly powerful country in the planet... Singapore has none...

We are protected by various seas... Malaysia who is no friend of Singapore is just a bridge away...

Ditto Japan...

Don't compare us with different countries... We each have our own needs... If you insist on comparing us with others, it's just like comparing Apples to Oranges...