South China/West Philippine Sea

Here's a comparison of the hard numbers courtesy of the World Bank:

• Active Military Personnel: China: 2,170,000 vs. Philippines (125,000)
  • Defense Spending: China: $166.1 Billion vs. Philippines ($2.9 Billion)
  • Aircraft: China (2,954) vs. Philippines (12)
  • Naval Equipment: China (1,936) vs. Philippines (80)

It's like a flyweight boxer going against a heavyweight. Or a better analogy would be like a small child going against a 6'5 250 pound black belt champion. With the odds stacked heavily against us, we only have our diplomatic skills and the support of the international community and, of course, our Mutual Defense Treaty with the US to keep us out of harms way.

Now this is one pretty bird... :)

post-62863-0-17345300-1383836209.jpg

Photo from the Official Philippine Navy FB Page...

looks like a SAR bird, which we badly need considering the large disaster response role helos play in our country.

now if we only had about 20 more of those, to replace those damned flying jeepneys we still deploy...(but if you think about it, we've probably retro fitted the Huey to become the world's first true multirole helicopter)

looks like a SAR bird, which we badly need considering the large disaster response role helos play in our country.

now if we only had about 20 more of those, to replace those damned flying jeepneys we still deploy...(but if you think about it, we've probably retro fitted the Huey to become the world's first true multirole helicopter)

These AW109Es are part of the Naval Helicopter Acquisition Project (NHAP)of the PN to be tasked with SAR/Utility/Showing the Flag Ops... the PN ordered 3 with an option for 2 more... Notice the thingy wrapped in a gray plastic like cover below the Pilot/Co-pilot doors and the word Navy on either side, those are inflatable rafts, these birds on extreme cases can land and take of on calm water...

The PN has a separate acquisition program currently on going for ASW choppers, i'm not updated on the progress of that project though... The AW109Es were prioritized coz it will receive less flak from the NPA stooges in the lower house of congress funding wise...

These AW109Es will be stationed aboard the BRP Gregorio Del Pilar and BRP Ramon Alcaraz... :)

When it comes to the "Flying Jeepneys", well, that's the PAF, different service, different budget & different program... By the way, Active duty and retired servicemen and women refer to them as "Battle Taxis"... :)

Edited by heatseeker0714

These AW109Es are part of the Naval Helicopter Acquisition Project (NHAP)of the PN to be tasked with SAR/Utility/Showing the Flag Ops... the PN ordered 3 with an option for 2 more... Notice the thingy wrapped in a gray plastic like cover below the Pilot/Co-pilot doors and the word Navy on either side, those are inflatable rafts, these birds on extreme cases can land and take of on calm water...

The PN has a separate acquisition program currently on going for ASW choppers, i'm not updated on the progress of that project though... The AW109Es were prioritized coz it will receive less flak from the NPA stooges in the lower house of congress funding wise...

These AW109Es will be stationed aboard the BRP Gregorio Del Pilar and BRP Ramon Alcaraz... :)

When it comes to the "Flying Jeepneys", well, that's the PAF, different service, different budget & different program... By the way, Active duty and retired servicemen and women refer to them as "Battle Taxis"... :)

I remember way back in February, 1986 when then Col. Sotelo defected to the side of JPE and former President FVR, a couple of white helicopters that resembled these AW 109s landed on the field of Camp Crame. Would you by any chance know what type of helos these were? I made a mental note that they looked a lot like Airwolf, that fictional chopper in that popular tv series of the 1980's. But based on the photos you posted, I would say those choppers that landed in Camp Crame that fateful day were larger than the AW 109.

Edited by maxiev

I remember way back in February, 1986 when then Col. Sotelo defected to the side of JPE and former President FVR, a couple of white helicopters that resembled these AW 109s landed on the field of Camp Crame. Would you by any chance know what type of helos these were? I made a mental note that they looked a lot like Airwolf, that fictional chopper in that popular tv series of the 1980's. But based on the photos you posted, I would say those choppers that landed in Camp Crame that fateful day were larger than the AW 109.

Did some research on the net regarding the chopper I described above. If I'm not mistaken, it was the Sikorsky S 76 that I saw parked inside Camp Crame. I may be wrong, but this comes as close in looks as the ones I saw.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-300-s&va=sikorsky+s-76c+helicopter

Did some research on the net regarding the chopper I described above. If I'm not mistaken, it was the Sikorsky S 76 that I saw parked inside Camp Crame. I may be wrong, but this comes as close in looks as the ones I saw.

http://images.search...-76c+helicopter

For your info, Airwolf was a modified Bell 222 that was transformed into a "super chopper" through the magic of Hollywood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwolf_(helicopter)#Bell_222_example

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-300-s&va=sikorsky+s-76c+helicopter

Mga S-76 yon... 15th Strike Wing birds based at Sangley point.,. Yun yung binenta satin ni Caspar Weinberger, former US n she SecDef (sya prime mover behind the scenes)... We got the AUH76 version, the armed utility variant... Pero ngayon wala na sila sa 15th... Alam ko nasa 505th Search and Rescue Group na sila... Painted all white with a yellow and blue stripe, tapos their flight crew wears orange jumpsuits against the olive green jumpsuits of other PAF aircrews...

Because of the crucial timing and moral boosting effect Col. Sotelo's defection had on the rebels during the 86 revolt, Cory promoted Col. Sotelo to the next higher rank, Brigadier General (1Star) breaking her promise to Jo-Al that she earlier made to him... Cory promised then Col. Almonte that he will be the first Colonel to be promoted to BG when she becomes President... As fate would have it, Jo-Al became the second Colonel after Sotelo to become BG in the post-Marcos AFP...

Edited by heatseeker0714

It's like a flyweight boxer going against a heavyweight. Or a better analogy would be like a small child going against a 6'5 250 pound black belt champion. With the odds stacked heavily against us, we only have our diplomatic skills and the support of the international community and, of course, our Mutual Defense Treaty with the US to keep us out of harms way.

Diplomatic skills? You mean how we belittle and add insult to injury Taiwan or Hong Kong protests over the avoidable deaths of their citizens?

Mga S-76 yon... 15th Strike Wing birds based at Sangley point.,. Yun yung binenta satin ni Caspar Weinberger, former US n she SecDef (sya prime mover behind the scenes)... We got the AUH76 version, the armed utility variant... Pero ngayon wala na sila sa 15th... Alam ko nasa 505th Search and Rescue Group na sila... Painted all white with a yellow and blue stripe, tapos their flight crew wears orange jumpsuits against the olive green jumpsuits of other PAF aircrews...

Because of the crucial timing and moral boosting effect Col. Sotelo's defection had on the rebels during the 86 revolt, Cory promoted Col. Sotelo to the next higher rank, Brigadier General (1Star) breaking her promise to Jo-Al that she earlier made to him... Cory promised then Col. Almonte that he will be the first Colonel to be promoted to BG when she becomes President... As fate would have it, Jo-Al became the second Colonel after Sotelo to become BG in the post-Marcos AFP...

Thanks for confirming my hunch heatseeker....

Diplomatic skills? You mean how we belittle and add insult to injury Taiwan or Hong Kong protests over the avoidable deaths of their citizens?

Yup. We actually suck at diplomacy, unfortunately.

You know what? After you mentioned it, I realize you're both right. On second thought our government lacks proper diplomatic skills. Then again, I'm not sure whether our career diplomats are free to act on their own without interference from Malacanang. I imagine anything our diplomats plan to say to their foreign counterparts need to be cleared first by Malacanang.

President Aquino should have done the right thing and apologized for the way Manila Police handled the hostage situation where several Hong Kong citizens were killed in a botched rescue attempt. What prevents him from apologizing in the first place? Why is he potentially putting overseas Filipinos at risk of losing their jobs, making it more difficult for visitors to travel to HK, and affecting business relations between over such a simple thing as providing an apology?

Erap deserves a pat on the back for apologizing to Hong Kong on behalf of the city of Manila. PNoy should do the same. Problem is he's too hard headed. When he makes up his mind, there doesn't seem to be any way of convincing him to re-think his decisions.

You know what? After you mentioned it, I realize you're both right. On second thought our government lacks proper diplomatic skills. Then again, I'm not sure whether our career diplomats are free to act on their own without interference from Malacanang. I imagine anything our diplomats plan to say to their foreign counterparts need to be cleared first by Malacanang.

President Aquino should have done the right thing and apologized for the way Manila Police handled the hostage situation where several Hong Kong citizens were killed in a botched rescue attempt. What prevents him from apologizing in the first place? Why is he potentially putting overseas Filipinos at risk of losing their jobs, making it more difficult for visitors to travel to HK, and affecting business relations between over such a simple thing as providing an apology?

Erap deserves a pat on the back for apologizing to Hong Kong on behalf of the city of Manila. PNoy should do the same. Problem is he's too hard headed. When he makes up his mind, there doesn't seem to be any way of convincing him to re-think his decisions.

If Filipinos actually went to the street and demonstrated demanding that PNoy apologize, the HK government and its people will see that the Filipino people commiserate with their loss. They will see that Filipinos are also appalled by the botched rescue attempt and the refusal of their leader to apologize. And hopefully they won't punish the Filipino people for the obstinate stance of their leader.

Too bad but other events have overtaken this unfortunate incident. People today are more concerned about the pork barrel scam and the relief and reconstruction efforts in the south after the powerful earthquake hit Bohol last month and the powerful typhoon struck the Visayas a few days ago.

an interesting piece...

http://nextnavy.com/typhoons-and-geopolitics-time-for-u-s-action-in-the-south-china-sea/

Typhoons And Geopolitics: Time For U.S. Action In The South China Sea

by ADMIN on NOVEMBER 11, 2013

The U.S. and Japan must consider the potential geopolitical impact of Super-Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda. This natural disaster will “change the game” in the South China Sea–The demand for disaster recovery assets alone will force the rapid deterioration of the Philippines’ ability to support their South China Sea outposts, leading to further Chinese encroachment (though some Filipino news outlets are wasting no time in cheering that the Typhoon forced Chinese ships to temporarily vacate the region).

If we assume that China is already preparing to grab additional sea features in the super-storm’s aftermath, then both the United States and Japan should change the game themselves, take the initiative, and direct some HA/DR resources towards the South China Sea outposts–all in the name of stability and in “helping the cut-off, typhoon-impacted islands and residents of the South China Seas.”

Such a step would be a savvy way for the U.S./international community to offer support to ALL South China Sea players, while, at the same time, sidestepping the tacitly unrecognized Chinese blockade of certain Vietnamese and Filipino islands...

<br />an interesting piece...<br /><br /><font color="#0000FF"><a href='http://nextnavy.com/typhoons-and-geopolitics-time-for-u-s-action-in-the-south-china-sea/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://nextnavy.com/...outh-china-sea/</a></font><br /><br /><font size="5">Typhoons And Geopolitics: Time For U.S. Action In The South China Sea</font><br />by ADMIN on NOVEMBER 11, 2013<br /><br />The U.S. and Japan must consider the potential geopolitical impact of Super-Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda.  This natural disaster will "change the game" in the South China Sea–The demand for disaster recovery assets alone will force the rapid deterioration of the Philippines' ability to support their South China Sea outposts, leading to further Chinese encroachment (though some Filipino news outlets are wasting no time in cheering that the Typhoon forced Chinese ships to temporarily vacate the region).<br /><br />If we assume that China is already preparing to grab additional sea features in the super-storm's aftermath, then both the United States and Japan should change the game themselves, take the initiative, and direct some HA/DR resources towards the South China Sea outposts–all in the name of stability and in "helping the cut-off, typhoon-impacted islands and residents of the South China Seas."<br /><br />Such a step would be a savvy way for the U.S./international community to offer support to ALL South China Sea players, while, at the same time, sidestepping the tacitly unrecognized Chinese blockade of certain Vietnamese and Filipino islands...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The british and the americans have already mobilise china wont dare to go that path.

Yes the americans already did bringing carriers and

combat ships,

For relief operations but in reality part also of

their much publicise pivot in asia.

And as soon as the US government were filling the huge gap of disaster response, the local commies are already voicing concern about making the US troops leave without caring to save the many dying and starving due to the calamity. Even media is hysterical about the reaction of Secretary Alcala who dismissed the government distribution activity due to the threat to life against the desperate. How can it be that media is busy asking for volunteers to assemble and repack relief goods but government who earlier announced the resumption of travel in the worst hit areas is declaring it is not safe to help anyone?

The US troops better prepare for attacks as if they are grocery goods from the ever growing lawless elements. There is a major NPA terrorist presence in the countrysides, thanks to DSWD funding and the tons of profits from illegal mining, logging and taxation activities.

<br /><br /><br />

The british and the americans have already mobilise china wont dare to go that path.

yup it's actually a great excuse to station ships in the philippines

An unforeseen blessing many SEA nations will definitely welcome. Hope they remain there indefinitely.

Edited by maxiev

I am addressing my question to heetseeker, the expert when it comes to military acquistions, politics within the military, and some current events relating to the deployment of air and water assets . Anyway my question revolves around the possibility of acquiring those US made Osprey which can fly like a plane but can land without the benefit of a runway, making it capable of landing in hard to reach barangays. The US is making use of this aircraft at this time to help in the distribution of goods, ferrying people to Cebu, etc. It is capable of bypassing all those debris filled roads thus getting the much needed food, water, bulding materials, shoes, medicines, doctors, army corp of engineers, etc. at the time these are needed most. Is having an aircraft such as the Osprey being considered at this time by the Philippine airforce?

I am addressing my question to heetseeker, the expert when it comes to military acquistions, politics within the military, and some current events relating to the deployment of air and water assets . Anyway my question revolves around the possibility of acquiring those US made Osprey which can fly like a plane but can land without the benefit of a runway, making it capable of landing in hard to reach barangays. The US is making use of this aircraft at this time to help in the distribution of goods, ferrying people to Cebu, etc. It is capable of bypassing all those debris filled roads thus getting the much needed food, water, bulding materials, shoes, medicines, doctors, army corp of engineers, etc. at the time these are needed most. Is having an aircraft such as the Osprey being considered at this time by the Philippine airforce?

Not an expert... Just well read and have the advantage of having several members of my family serving in the military and police from Private to 3 Star Rank...

Basically its too expensive... I think its around 65Mil USD per bird... Flight hour cost pa, my guesstimate's in the 5-10K USD per flight hour.... We simply don't have that kind of dough to spend on that platform... Siguro we can but i think the entire AFP will ground to a halt if we do...

Nope, not being considered at this time by the PAF...

Edited by heatseeker0714

Bugatti why buy we could them for no cost or minimal cost, remember

They are winding down their afghan operations maybe we could get some of their surplus

Osprey.  Btw its just my opinion im not being know it all guy just an opinion. Sir

No can do Sir... The US needs all the V22 Ospreys it can get its hands on, specially the Marines because the Ospreys are gonna replace the CH-46 Sea Knights the Leathernecks are currently using... Plus its a relatively new platform, i doubt that they'll put a couple in a surplus status... The first Osprey squadrons in USMC and USAF service just got activated i think 2002-2010...

The platform's so new that the US Defense Dept. this year ordered another 90+ units from Boeing...

then there's the issue of money... It's just too d@mn expensive.... It's a luxury we can't afford...