Azkals (Philippine futbol's poster boys)

thegame08

I must admit, though, that bringing in Fil-foreigners playing abroad gives the team a big boost considering that these guys are already exposed to very competitive, high quality of play, and where kids at a very young age naturally breathe football. Korea, Japan, etc. heeded the call to allow their best homegrown players to play in Europe to further improve their skills, and the team also improved. We don't have to do this lengthy process anymore because Fil-foreigners are already playing in Europe. The local players also benefit with their presence.

The problem, however, is these players tend to give priority to the calendar of their mother clubs if there are conflicts in schedule, but this is also the problem of Latin American and other countries with their stars playing in the world's top football clubs elsewhere.

Maybe a 50:50 mix would be ideal. But we should already subject the pure-bred Filipinos to intense training and more international exposure.

Edited by blow_gobi

Some excerpts from a Bill Velasco column on the Fil-foreign Azkals.

“I don’t understand when people ask us how ‘Filipino’ we feel,” explains Gier, who is expecting his first child in five weeks. “The blood that runs through us runs through our “homegrown” teammates. Just because we were born in another place or grew up in a different country doesn’t make us less Filipino. We feel Filipino every second of our lives.”

“I didn’t even know the Philippines had a national team, to be honest,” admits United Football League All-Star Nate Burkey, who is now based in the Philippines and headed in the lone goal against Sri Lanka. “But when I heard about it, I wanted to play, no question. It was a good chance to follow my roots.”

“It was an unbelievable feeling (against Kuwait) for the fans to be supporting us because of football, not because we were famous, or good-looking or anything,” Gier declares. “The goal against Singapore was my proudest moment as a footballer. But that was eclipsed when Schrocky (Stephan Schrock) scored that goal against Kuwait, for us to be going into the half up 1-nil – and we deserved to be up 1-nil – against a team that is ranked 70 places higher than us in the world is a tremendous achievement.”

dude we are at #156 in football... pero consider naman there are more than 200 countries that are a member of FIFA. so our ranking is compared against 200 plus countries that are 100 times more fanatical than us. we still have a long way to go in terms of moving up the rankings ladder... we need to win more matches, play more friendlies and win them, train, start our own domestic league to improve the local boys. mas ok kung maging successful tayo sa world cup qualifiers coming up. mataas ang ranking points na makukuha dyan so dapat win the 2 games vs sri lanka, and pray for a fair result againt kuwait dahil mabigat na kalaban yan.

basketball naman #56 nga tayo sa buong mundo, pero out of 75 countries lang. so there is a huge difference. matagal na din tayong nagbabasketball at di pa rin tayo nakaabot ng olympics at FIBA world. kakahiya ata yan considering that patay na patay tayo sa basketball and all we gotta show for it is #56 in the rankings, zero NBA player to represent us, and constant whooping in international qualifiers.

unfortunately football does not appeal to the masses. bat mas maraming basketball court sa atin kesa football field. and nakikita ko lang hassle sa football e ing playing venue. saan ka maglalaro nyan pupunta ka pang schools na may football field para lang maglaro. nothing against the azkals but i hope they don't just become a fad that after 2 to 3 years laos na sill at nawala na and fan following nila. you have to consider that height is no longer a factor in international competition look at teams like Argentina and Greece. they don't have tall players but they have beaten the US in several games in the past. At the same time the no.1 sport in their country is football. you don't need someone from the NBA to support or philippine basketball team. the problem here is the training method. if we are gonna train our players the right way then we could get back as one of the top teams in asia. same thing with the azkals. with proper training this team could advance and improve their ranking.

Edited by Vegasboy32

I find it pointless to question the "Filipino-ness" of the Azkals. I know a lot of pure-blooded, homegrown Pinoys who hate everything about the Philippines...but they call themselves Filipinos anyway.

I do however question the Azkals fan' base. If you're gay or female and you're an Azkals fan, your motivation is already suspect. :P

unfortunately football does not appeal to the masses. bat mas maraming basketball court sa atin kesa football field. and nakikita ko lang hassle sa football e ing playing venue. saan ka maglalaro nyan pupunta ka pang schools na may football field para lang maglaro.

you can still play pick up games anywhere just like basketball. you can even play football on the beach.

nothing against the azkals but i hope they don't just become a fad that after 2 to 3 years laos na sill at nawala na and fan following nila. you have to consider that height is no longer a factor in international competition look at teams like Argentina and Greece. they don't have tall players but they have beaten the US in several games in the past.

i dont see how you can conclude that Argentina and Greece don't have tall players when more than half of both teams are at least 6'7". i would even hazard a guess that both teams' average height was higher than the average height of the US teams they had beaten.

At the same time the no.1 sport in their country is football. you don't need someone from the NBA to support or philippine basketball team. the problem here is the training method. if we are gonna train our players the right way then we could get back as one of the top teams in asia. same thing with the azkals. with proper training this team could advance and improve their ranking.

yep, proper training and good competition.

Edited by utouto

Correction lang, because I confused the Lo Teng Cup with another 4-nation invitationals which I mentioned in a much earlier post.

The Lo Teng Cup will be held in Chinese Taipeh, not in the Philippines.

It will be the planned invitational tournament that will be hosted by the Philippines. This will be a great tournament should this happen (talagang patok!), with Singapore and Malaysia joining, together with either Thailand or Vietnam. It will be a good tune-up for Singapore and perhaps Thailand, which advanced to the 3rd round of the World Cup qualifiers, and for the Philippines, which is preparing for the AFC Challenge Cup. FIFA points here would be higher than Lo Teng, as the 3 teams (except the Philippines) are ranked better than #150. But the PFF first wants to make sure it fits into the FIFA schedule, so European clubs will allow the Azkal team members to play in this tournament.

I find it pointless to question the "Filipino-ness" of the Azkals. I know a lot of pure-blooded, homegrown Pinoys who hate everything about the Philippines...but they call themselves Filipinos anyway.

I do however question the Azkals fan' base. If you're gay or female and you're an Azkals fan, your motivation is already suspect. :P

Not gay? Check.

Not female? Check.

Azkals fan? Check.

Yay! I'm not a suspect! :P

Dan Palami is said to be going on a 2week scouting trip in Europe. he will be looking at other Filipino prospects, including a Filipino goalkeeper who plays in the French league.

That's good news, I think, because if Neil Etheridge gets sick or can't play, at least the talent and skill level at goal won't go down by a lot.

Edited by pinoywritingfool

Mukhang hindi yata nila kayang kunin si Areola (French but with both Filipino parents), hindi ibibigay ng French national team because he's already playing with a first division club and it is being predicted that he will be France's #1 goalkeeper in a few years time. He'll probably play for the French team in the World Cup.

Para ding yung Fil-Nigerian striker na si David Alava, he'll most likely play for the Austrian national team.

Edited by blow_gobi

Mukhang hindi yata nila kayang kunin si Areola (French but with both Filipino parents), hindi ibibigay ng French national team because he's already playing with a first division club and it is being predicted that he will be France's #1 goalkeeper in a few years time. He'll probably play for the French team in the World Cup.

Para ding yung Fil-Nigerian striker na si David Alava, he'll most likely play for the Austrian national team.

Wow, he's that good? Ok lang yan, I'm sure may mahahanap tayong mga batang players that we can bring into the team na world class level din. Tulad ni Neil Etheridge.

I think we should not equate criticism with hate, bad mouthingetc., etc… though I understand that coming from a fan…

I criticized azkals because I hate azkals? Oh I badmouthedazkals because I’m criticizing the azkals!

Ok... Azkals are underrated… Azkals are here to stay… Watta play! Nice pass! Great traps! Needless to mention the defense, the feinting is ridiculous!

They beat the defending champion and I don’t care anymore ifthey win or lose! It’s already a great accomplishment! They are the best!!!

Their fan base will eventually be turned into a realfootball fan… baby steps…that’s a guarantee!

I tell you it’s not their looks but it’s their skills!!! Period!! (but Nice abs, Nice butts ha)

To Azkals; thank you for all the sacrifices you’ve made forthis country… rest assured of our unwavering support… and Phil by the way takecare of Angel ha… Bagay na bagay kayong dalawa…wub.gif

Go AZKALS!!! Best of luck at the AFC challenge...

P.S. Sorry if I misused the quote functions on my previous post… My Bad. Honestly I don’t know how to use it.. Pa PM na lang mga sirkung papano… TIA…laugh.gif

I think we should not equate criticism with hate, bad mouthingetc., etc… though I understand that coming from a fan…

I criticized azkals because I hate azkals? Oh I badmouthedazkals because I’m criticizing the azkals!

Ok... Azkals are underrated… Azkals are here to stay… Watta play! Nice pass! Great traps! Needless to mention the defense, the feinting is ridiculous!

They beat the defending champion and I don’t care anymore ifthey win or lose! It’s already a great accomplishment! They are the best!!!

Their fan base will eventually be turned into a realfootball fan… baby steps…that’s a guarantee!

I tell you it’s not their looks but it’s their skills!!! Period!! (but Nice abs, Nice butts ha)

To Azkals; thank you for all the sacrifices you’ve made forthis country… rest assured of our unwavering support… and Phil by the way takecare of Angel ha… Bagay na bagay kayong dalawa…wub.gif

P.S. Sorry if I misused the quote functions on my previous post… My Bad. Honestly I don’t know how to use it.. Pa PM na lang mga sirkung papano… TIA…laugh.gif

I think I may be stupid because...I'm not sure if you are sarcastic or not.

BUT IF YOU WERE SARCASTIC...great use of the device, natawa ako. Halos parody na sya of the regular Azkals fan so nakakatawa.

IF YOU WEREN'T SARCASTIC...welcome to the dark side! :lol:

I think I may be stupid because...I'm not sure if you are sarcastic or not.

BUT IF YOU WERE SARCASTIC...great use of the device, natawa ako. Halos parody na sya of the regular Azkals fan so nakakatawa.

IF YOU WEREN'T SARCASTIC...welcome to the dark side! :lol:

Appreciate it man... your entertainment and everyone else here is my desire!wub.gif

You really call that the darkside?unsure.gif

To Azkal haters, this side IS the dark side. :ninja:

Still hoping their fan base to mature, from there football here will go along way... (Seriously)mellow.gif

Hirap kasi dito sa atin they are positioning those guys as the likes of chip and dales... huh.gif

But we cannot blame them... its what they are fed...

Massive public info regarding football, grass roots development (Even for coaches), support from the government (DECS specially) and private institutions, Boom we are on our way!!...We have a great chance in football where height doesn't play a major role... wink.gif

there is a thread in the community room where you can be taught how to use the quote functions.

go ahead and try it..... its free naman.

"Asked if he sees a longer partnership with Weiss, Palami said: “A long time is a very strong word. But at least I know that what he’s doing is working for us. For as long as we get the results that we want, not in terms of the bottom line scores but in terms of how we play, then I suppose he really has a plop in the team.”

Parang delikado pa ang posisyon ni Coach Weiss ah. baka ma-Simon McMenemy sya. :huh:

From what I know, Michael Weiss is being paid by a football grant-in-aid obtained by PFF Pres. Nonong Araneta from Germany. Maybe he also gets bonuses and allowances from Dan Palami, but the larger portion of the salary comes from this grant. So if this support from Germany ends, Coach Weiss' contract might also end unless Palami and the PFF decide to defray the entire cost of maintaining Weiss.

In the case of Simon McMenemy, his contract was only for 2 months, but it was extended because the Azkals unexpectedly reached the semi-finals of the Suzuki Cup. Besides, McMenemy does not have the proper accreditation to coach in FIFA officially sanctioned tournaments like the AFC Challenge Cup and the World Cup Qualifiers.

Edited by blow_gobi

Correct. That racist thing is part only of the "German past". If you work for the Philippines and sacrifice for it, no one should question your "nationality"

Even if they failed to make it against Kuwait, we still have the duty to appreciate them because of the sacrifices they made to bring honor to our country

the least thing we could do is to appreciate this guys for their effort and sacrifices... sila ang naghirap at nagtiis, tayo nanood lang at nag cheer.. win or lose, we should be proud of these guys. -_- -_- -_-

btw, also, because of these guys... medyo nagkaroon ng interes sa football ang iba nating kababayan, hindi puro basketball lang iniisip. ;) ;) ;)