Azkals (Philippine futbol's poster boys)

thegame08

dgnr8

i dont think any true blue soccer fan will think that the azkals (or the PH team) are ripe for world cup. we are taking baby steps towards that. the fact that there is now a conscious effort, thanks mainly for the azkals, should be a great deal.

if the azkals get eliminated, i dont see the end of soccermania in the country. maybe in 4 years time we get farther than we are achieving right now.

is joining the bandwagon good? yes because it shows that the filipinos are supporting a PH team. it would be a pity if we are cheering for kuwait rather than the azkals.

dgnr8

i dont think any true blue soccer fan will think that the azkals (or the PH team) are ripe for world cup. we are taking baby steps towards that. the fact that there is now a conscious effort, thanks mainly for the azkals, should be a great deal.

if the azkals get eliminated, i dont see the end of soccermania in the country. maybe in 4 years time we get farther than we are achieving right now.

is joining the bandwagon good? yes because it shows that the filipinos are supporting a PH team. it would be a pity if we are cheering for kuwait rather than the azkals.

Great comment! Yan ang Pinoy! For me, I think ang naumpisahang process, ituloy tuloy, tigilan na ang basketball, di talaga tayo puwede duon. Mas may chance pa sa ganitong sports, just like boxing, volleyball, track and field, etc. Am still proud of the team. Its a pity nga lang, there are some moronic Pinoys, na, kapag natalo, ayan na........siraan na, natakan na pababa! Sayang at kawawa naman ang Pinas.

dgnr8

the problem with others, they are just "bandwagoners", the moment they see trouble, they are like rats, they are the first to jump off the moment the ship starts to sink

this is where the real fans of the Azkals will be tested, when their team is down

I don't personally liked the Azkals, but they play for our country, they wear our national colors.

there is a lot pressure on their shoulders right now to win on thursday, not just to win, but to win "BIG", with a score of 4-0 in order for them to advance to the next round

Win or Lose, Go Azkals!!! Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!!!

Edited by brutus

the problem with others, they are just "bandwagoners", the moment they see trouble, they are like rats, they are the first to jump off the moment the ship starts to sink

this is where the real fans of the Azkals will be tested, when their team is down

I don't personally liked the Azkals, but they play for our country, they wear our national colors.

there is a lot pressure on their shoulders right now to win on thursday, not just to win, but to win "BIG", with a score of 4-0 in order for them to advance to the next round

the "temporary" or bandwagon fans are still fans. they may not be as expressive or seen cheering whenever the team is down, but they will still be azkal fans. maybe not die hard fans, but they are still fans.

Edited by jopoc

yes win or lose, these guys (fil-foreigners or pure blooded filipinos) have done their best to make us proud.

The 3-0 results were as nearly predicted (4-0), although the 2nd goal went in with a little bit of luck. Now the door to the 3rd round has been practically shut down for the Azkals. Hopefully, though, they play a better game in the 2nd leg at the Rizal Memorial for pride and some improvement in ranking.

I don't quit when the going gets tough and I was never in the bandwagon. I've been a believer for several decades now that this country has got what it takes to get good results in at least the regional competitions, having briefly played football in high school and coming from a Philippine region where football is at least as popular as basketball. The Philippines has proven this in the 1930's, and those glory days could come back.

The worst that could happen is to have a ningas cogon attitude. Developing a fundamentally sound team takes time, rewquires a lot of patience and massive grassroots development. I hope we don't throw away this momentum.

by hell, who got surpised now?!

and yeah! you got that right. they did parked the bus in the goalfront ,and now they're heading home. coz 'em pretty boys got OWNED!

:rolleyes:

again, jump OFF the bandwagon, people. y'all getting duped, i telya!

B)

I'm not jumping off the Azkals bandwagon. You know why? because I'm a true fan and a true believer.

Kuwaitis got surprised in the first 25 minutes of action. Do you think they actually expected the Azkals to have the first legit cracks at goal? Phil Younghusband's strike at goal was barely deflected into the goal posts and Guirado's header also hit the top bar. You think the Kuwaitis weren't shocked, scared and surprise speechless after that? They were. That's why they played very physical. (by the way, you should review the Kuwaiti hit on Guirado in the first 10minutes of the game. The 6'3" Guirado basically flew through the air. He absorbed that hit for the Philippine flag. Can you say the same?)

It is obvious you don't know much about football. Do you even know what "parking the bus" means? Because the Azkals didn't park the bus. They went for an aggressive game that proved vulnerable to counterattacks.

May I ask what your issue is with the Azkals? Because if it's about their looks, then I don't think it's very fair.

Also, may I ask if you're rooting for any other Philippine national team? Because I'm a die-hard Gilas fan, as well as a follower of the volleyball team, the boxing team and basically any team with the Philippine flag on their uniforms.

If your beef with them stems from your "love" for other national teams, gimme a break. You can be a fan of all of them, you know. Adn just because I'm a fan of the Azkals doesn't mean I'm less of a fan of Gilas.

The 3-0 results were as nearly predicted (4-0), although the 2nd goal went in with a little bit of luck. Now the door to the 3rd round has been practically shut down for the Azkals. Hopefully, though, they play a better game in the 2nd leg at the Rizal Memorial for pride and some improvement in ranking.

I don't quit when the going gets tough and I was never in the bandwagon. I've been a believer for several decades now that this country has got what it takes to get good results in at least the regional competitions, having briefly played football in high school and coming from a Philippine region where football is at least as popular as basketball. The Philippines has proven this in the 1930's, and those glory days could come back.

The worst that could happen is to have a ningas cogon attitude. Developing a fundamentally sound team takes time, rewquires a lot of patience and massive grassroots development. I hope we don't throw away this momentum.

Hear, hear.

I'm from bacolod and I've been a football fan longer than I've been a basketball fan. In fact, I've been a volleyball fan longer than I've been a basketball fan. I expect to be a fan of Philippine football for a long, long time.

Talk about totally overated!!!! :lol: these guys suck!!! just like this lame ass sport!! :lol:

I agree that Azkals are overrated, but i dont think that football sucks..it may be boring for some because goals are not that frequent as compared to basketball..but i still believe we are in a treat here like David Bunevacz-like controversy..

there is nothing wrong for supporting our national team, but the talent and performance of the Azkals does not justify the financial support and attention that we are giving to them..that is why the other sports are suffering..I hope we could the same as to other sports, which are proven to bring us medals and recognition. The Philippine Dragon Boat Rowing Team has already brought home numerous accolades, but are still being ignored. Wushu is another sports that have already delivered countless medal from SEA Games and Asian Games, but just like the rowing team, still have yet to receive any significant support from our country..

there is nothing wrong for supporting our national team, but the talent and performance of the Azkals does not justify the financial support and attention that we are giving to them..that is why the other sports are suffering..I hope we could the same as to other sports, which are proven to bring us medals and recognition. The Philippine Dragon Boat Rowing Team has already brought home numerous accolades, but are still being ignored. Wushu is another sports that have already delivered countless medal from SEA Games and Asian Games, but just like the rowing team, still have yet to receive any significant support from our country..

Tell this to Dan Palami, who's spending his personal funds for 4 years now because he believes in the Azkals team, having played football himself with UP varsity during his college years. And the players get allowances but not that much, only a little higher than other sports get from the government. Fortunately, there's been some good results for team recently so there are more sponsors and endorsements coming in. The hard work paid off.

Private businesses have to come in to support a specific sport, kasi wala kang mahihita kung aasa ka lang sa gobyerno o sa mga sports commissions. And this will require showing potential sponsors how the companies could benefit by supporting the sport.

The Azkals fought a good fight. So what if they lost against Kuwait?

Let's not jump off the bandwagon because of a few bumps in the road. Be fair naman sa kanila - when the Kuwaitis come to Manila, they'll know what's coming to them!!!

Kaka-victory party lang sila, binahiran pa ng iskandalo ng isang istarlet...should be fair warning to them not to immerse themselves too much into "showbiz". Baka maka-"David Bunevacz syndrome" sila!!!

I agree that Azkals are overrated, but i dont think that football sucks..it may be boring for some because goals are not that frequent as compared to basketball..but i still believe we are in a treat here like David Bunevacz-like controversy..

I agree with you that there are a lot of other national teams who have brought glory and medals to us. I have actually written of the plight of the dragonboat team and I also wrote about Rene Catalan and the shoddy treatment he received from the wushu federation and I wish I could do more for him.

But I think it is unfair to say that our football team is undeserving of whatever they are getting now. Simply put, it is only when they started winning that they started getting all these extra budget allocations and attention. Do you really think that, in 2005, the Azkals were getting more money than the Dragonboat or wushu teams and that they had endorsements and training abroad? Do you think, in 1997-98, when the Centennial team was training for the Asian games, that the Azkals were getting the same budget?

Whatever the Azkals are reaping now, they earned with hard work and dedication to flag and sport.

The Azkals fought a good fight. So what if they lost against Kuwait?

Let's not jump off the bandwagon because of a few bumps in the road. Be fair naman sa kanila - when the Kuwaitis come to Manila, they'll know what's coming to them!!!

Kaka-victory party lang sila, binahiran pa ng iskandalo ng isang istarlet...should be fair warning to them not to immerse themselves too much into "showbiz". Baka maka-"David Bunevacz syndrome" sila!!!

Tama ka dyan.

Manalo-matalo, nagbigay karangalan na sila sa atin. Madami pang mga torneo ngayong taon na pwede silang magpakitang gilas!