Azkals (Philippine futbol's poster boys)

thegame08

ok! last na to! just reliving our lost glory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/word_life24/MLB/mb1955yankeesinmanila.jpg

that was the day when we are a baseball powerhouse in asia we got bragging rights playing against the mighty New York Yankees, with legends like babe ruth and lou gehrig. not even japan can boast that claim. ganun tayo kaangas nuon.

eto na lang. azkals vs manchester united. when that happens, i'd gladly volunteer as a mascot for the azkals.

Edited by xxxxdgnr8xxxx

i'm not sure when Dan Palami first handled the national football team. what i'm sure of is before the win over vietnam in the suzuki cup, the national football team was not getting a lot more attention than baseball or any other sport except basketball. so, before the suzuki win, football was in the same boat as the other sports. they are where they are now because they achieved something. There have been many firsts for the Philippines in football( I think these were listed in a previous post). Firsts are always achievements however small. The first words of a baby. The first step they take.

It is sad when sports like wushu and rowing dont get as much attention when they win. I dont even know if we have won championships comparable to the world cup in these sports. Baseball? yes, we've had success in little league. Perhaps xxxxdgnr8xxxx can provide specifics. And I believe there is money being spent in support of the sport. But our success in baseball at the age group level has not yet translated to success at the senior level.

The national football team has achieved some firsts for the country in the past few years even before they got the monetary support that they are getting right now. The baseball team will just have to toil and train some more. With the Philippine Series, it may not be long until baseball achieves something to catapult it to the front of the national consciousness.

ok! last na to! just reliving our lost glory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/word_life24/MLB/mb1955yankeesinmanila.jpg

that was the day when we are a baseball powerhouse in asia we got bragging rights playing against the mighty New York Yankees, with legends like babe ruth and lou gehrig. not even japan can boast that claim. ganun tayo kaangas nuon.

eto na lang. azkals vs manchester united. when that happens, i'd gladly volunteer as a mascot for the azkals.

Again, there is no need to tear down the Azkals just to uplift the Blu Boys (I should really stop using that name). they are boht Philippine National Teams.

Also, saan mo nakuha ang picture na yan? I have a sneaking suspicion you are either a current baseball player or Boy Codinera (just kidding).

Anyway, since di ka gumawa ng room, ako na ang gumawa. May baseball Pilipinas forum na. Dun nating pag-usapan ang Philippine Blues? Blue Bats? Blue Balls? Ano nga ba ipapangalan natin sa kanila?

i'm not sure when Dan Palami first handled the national football team. what i'm sure of is before the win over vietnam in the suzuki cup, the national football team was not getting a lot more attention than baseball or any other sport except basketball. so, before the suzuki win, football was in the same boat as the other sports. they are where they are now because they achieved something. There have been many firsts for the Philippines in football( I think these were listed in a previous post). Firsts are always achievements however small. The first words of a baby. The first step they take.

It is sad when sports like wushu and rowing dont get as much attention when they win. I dont even know if we have won championships comparable to the world cup in these sports. Baseball? yes, we've had success in little league. Perhaps xxxxdgnr8xxxx can provide specifics. And I believe there is money being spent in support of the sport. But our success in baseball at the age group level has not yet translated to success at the senior level.

The national football team has achieved some firsts for the country in the past few years even before they got the monetary support that they are getting right now. The baseball team will just have to toil and train some more. With the Philippine Series, it may not be long until baseball achieves something to catapult it to the front of the national consciousness.

That's downright poetic. Misnomer yata ang handle mo.

as expected, our world cup 2014 dream is over..... but its ok, a better program will help. now that pinoys are into football frenzy, we might train and maybe discover homegrown talents who will make our country proud in the future.

======================

dgnr8,

i feel for you that our baseball team is not getting much attention as the azkals (buti pa yung rugby team, nagka billboard, pero binaklas din).

but please, that is another issue. dont envy the azkals for getting more attention. mahina lang siguro ang marketing ng baseball team. they need a better manager or PR firm for that.

=====

Again, well said. The Azkals are getting better media mileage kasi they know what public relations means. Other sport disciplines should follow suit. Also, mas lalo kasing sikat ang Azkals with what they achieved. Other sports dapat, sabi nga ni Sen.Gordon, AIM HIGH! HIndi lang high sa bulsa ng mga managers nila.

Ok, what I saw last nght, medyo parang napapagod kaagad yung players natin. Against that, with the kahanga hangang skills ng mga Kuwaitis (which, I think, its their national game), we still have a long way to go. My hats off to the players and the officials of Azkals. You made us proud. Uplifting a discipline in one sport na napapabayaan ng ating public servants. For me, nasiyahan ako. The Azkals played their hearts out for our country. Fil foreigners? Well, pati tayo rin naman hindi full-bloodied Pinoys. Ganun din yun. Basta dala nila ang bandila ng ating bansa.

CONGRATULATIONS, AZKALS AND THANK YOU FOR THOSE MEMORABLE PERFORMANCES!

Sayang yung game last night. Kinakapos talaga pag dating ng 2nd half. Kulang siguro sa physical and mental toughness. Even if the Azkals did not advance to the 3rd round of the Asian qualifiers, but if they just held on to the lead and won even by the slightest 1-0, something good would have happened.

They could have gotten 669.3 points on that game based on the FIFA ranking formula: (= 3 x 2.5 x 105 x 0.85), with 3 being the points assigned for a win, 2.5 the importance of the match (World Cup Qualifier), 105 (strength of the opposing team, which is Kuwait, and which is 200 - #95), and 0.85 the strength of the confederation (AFC). Hence, if you add this to the total points obtained by the Azkals in their 9 international matches so far this year, their average would come out to 170.

This would have catapulted the Azkals into the world's #140-145 from #162, higher than Malaysia, Hongkong, India (the current AFC Challenge Cup Champion) and Vietnam - which all also did not advance to the 3rd round - putting it well ahead of its target of becoming one of ASEAN's football powerhouse.

Unfortunately, they lost. So it's likely they'll slip further to # 164 in the next ranking update. To regain some lost ground, they should participate and get good results in upcoming friendlies within the region.

Sayang yung game last night. Kinakapos talaga pag dating ng 2nd half. Kulang siguro sa physical and mental toughness. Even if the Azkals did not advance to the 3rd round of the Asian qualifiers, but if they just held on to the lead and won even by the slightest 1-0, something good would have happened.

They could have gotten 669.3 points on that game based on the FIFA ranking formula: (= 3 x 2.5 x 105 x 0.85), with 3 being the points assigned for a win, 2.5 the importance of the match (World Cup Qualifier), 105 (strength of the opposing team, which is Kuwait, and which is 200 - #95), and 0.85 the strength of the confederation (AFC). Hence, if you add this to the total points obtained by the Azkals in their 9 international matches so far this year, their average would come out to 170.

This would have catapulted the Azkals into the world's #140-145 from #162, higher than Malaysia, Hongkong, India (the current AFC Challenge Cup Champion) and Vietnam - which all also did not advance to the 3rd round - putting it well ahead of its target of becoming one of ASEAN's football powerhouse.

Unfortunately, they lost. So it's likely they'll slip further to # 164 in the next ranking update. To regain some lost ground, they should participate and get good results in upcoming friendlies within the region.

Wow! Ngayon ko lang nalaman ang formula na yun. Salamat sa info!

Ay, may mali pa pala pag-compute nung average points. The average points include not just the results for the 9 international matches this year, but also the results for the matches in 2008-2010 but with lower weights. What this means is that the average points would have been higher than 170 has they won against Kuwait, making the azkals' ranking possibly even better than #140!

Ay, may mali pa pala pag-compute nung average points. The average points include not just the results for the 9 international matches this year, but also the results for the matches in 2008-2010 but with lower weights. What this means is that the average points would have been higher than 170 has they won against Kuwait, making the azkals' ranking possibly even better than #140!

Crap! Talaga? Sayang naman.

counted ba kung manalo sila sa Long Teng Cup?

Yes, I think so, being a tournament recognized by FIFA. But with matches being considered friendlies (importance of match = 1), and teams participating ranked #150 or lower (strength of opposing teams = 50), a winning team in a match would only get 127.5 points (vs. 669.3 had the azkals won against Kuwait in the World Cup qualifier).

A draw would only get both teams 42.5 points each, which will pull down Azkal's average points of 108 as of July (could drop to 90-100 in August due to the loss to Kuwait)

*lol* envious? me?! *lol* callous is more appropriately put as i define how i feel about the azkals and their duped fans. la akong pakelam sa kanila. ang akin lang, at uulitin ko, pakelaman nyo naman yung baseball team natin. mas me pag-asa tayo manalo dito!

i dont know... you are complaining here how the azkals are being given the star treatment when you feel that such treatment should be given to the baseball team....

sorry dude, but this is the azkals thread, there is no reason for you to complain that they are being treated like rockstars while the baseball team is being left in the dark.

goodluck to the PH baseball team.... dont worry, they have our full support.

What's the point? That they learned to play football here? Would that team be more pinoy? Kaya nga di nag iimprove level ng skills natin for a long time dahil walang exposure to higher standards of the game. The foreign trained pinoy players brought a new dimension to the game. We won't improve kung tayo tayo lang din lang naglalaro year in and year out.

I'm proud of this national team. The higher achievements will come later. A lot of us just put too much expectations too soon.

Philippines planning to host this year's Lo Teng Cup?

Actually, unless the Azkals win all its 3 matches in this 4-nation tournament (Phils, Hong Kong, Chinese Taipeh and Macau), there's not going to be any gain in FIFA points for the Azkals here. The likely outcome here is 2 wins (vs. Chinese Taipeh and Macau) and draw (vs. Hong Kong), which would be better than its 1 win (Macau), 1 draw (CT), 1 loss (HKG) record last year. But still a slight loss in FIFA points.

These friendlies are also too early for the preparation for the AFC Challenge Cup 8-nation Main Draw in March 2012.

Maybe the Azkals is just maintaining goodwill and honoring a tradition in participating; and in hosting, the PFF can get sponsors and earn from ticket sales to recover the cost of refurbishing the Rizal Memorial Football Stadium.

Philippines planning to host this year's Lo Teng Cup?

Actually, unless the Azkals win all its 3 matches in this 4-nation tournament (Phils, Hong Kong, Chinese Taipeh and Macau), there's not going to be any gain in FIFA points for the Azkals here. The likely outcome here is 2 wins (vs. Chinese Taipeh and Macau) and draw (vs. Hong Kong), which would be better than its 1 win (Macau), 1 draw (CT), 1 loss (HKG) record last year. But still a slight loss in FIFA points.

These friendlies are also too early for the preparation for the AFC Challenge Cup 8-nation Main Draw in March 2012.

Maybe the Azkals is just maintaining goodwill and honoring a tradition in participating; and in hosting, the PFF can get sponsors and earn from ticket sales to recover the cost of refurbishing the Rizal Memorial Football Stadium.

While it won't give them FIFA points, it would give them additional game experience. It's never too early to prepare. :)

Aha, I just realized that Lo Teng Cup has a marketing value after all because of the support the Filipino-Chinese community gives to Philippine football.

I heard this story that in the '80s, the Fil-Chi's offered to help financially in exchange for some of their kind playing for the national team, but this was rejected by the PFF. In the years that followed up to the 90's, PH football was in the pits, losing double-digits in Asian tournaments, for lack of support.

to those who are glad the azkals lost, or those who think they are overrated, etc.....

what's the reason for the hatred or antipathy? :rolleyes:

Frankly, I ignore this kind of comments because apparently they either do not know football or have no idea of the personal sacrifices involved in promoting a sport (not just football, because nothing will happen if you just rely on the government for support) or both, so they add nothing to the discussion.

Besides, they're presence could only mean that the sport has indeed gained popularity. They're sniping and badmouthing also helps strengthen the fan base as fans tend to be defensive and close ranks when their idols are attacked.

Edited by blow_gobi

Can't we assemble a team of players that grew up in the Philippines, even if they are not pure pinoys?

The Younghusbands, Gier, Schrock, Mulders etc... aren't better because they're Fil-foreigners...they're better because they were trained better.

Take two kids of similar football talent and skill levels. Train one kid in Germany, England or Brazil. Train the other in Sri Lanka, Bermuda or Barbados. Who do you think will grow up to be the better football player?

Again, it is not blood that makes the difference. It is training. Proper training, cutting edge philosophies, out of the box strategies...these are what we need. And those are what other countries have.

We are not importing theses Azkals (and even then, I still love Marcus Douthit. The same way I loved Dennis Steele, Jeff Moore and Chip Engellund). They are Filipinos, with Filipino blood.

And they want to play for this country. Our country.

We can pick up a handful of talents from the UFL. The coaching staff is already considering this. Unfortunately, most of the outstanding UFL players are non-citizens.

At any rate, the Azkals management is already recruiting very young homegrown players for the U-23 Southeast Asian Games, notably a goalkeeper from DLSU and a talented player from UP (not UV as I posted earlier). But they're also bringing in a Fil-Belgian teen to boost the team. The management said members of the U-23 will be the core of the next generation Azkals men's team.

Edited by blow_gobi