Azkals (Philippine futbol's poster boys)

thegame08

arguably, the azkals are the best football team ever assembled to represent the country. so i think its only fair to recognize their talents in making the sport popular in this country.

Absolutely, and even as it stands, they have already made history as the first Philippine football squad to win a FIFA qualifying match, as well as the first to make it to the second round. Is that not reason enough to be proud of them?

They are overrated...

Just because they have a huge following, they are overrated? How are they overrated? No one really expects them to win the second round, and the odds makers reflect that. Still, is that any reason to hope against hope, for the sake of our country?

hey, the Rowing and Wushu Teams have been consistent giving us glory, but you could barely seen them on TV..

There are some sports that are more marketable than others. Basketball, boxing, tennis, and of course football which is the world's favorite sport. Not to take anything away from rowing and wushu, which are good sports but not as marketable from a marketing and advertising standpoint.

Absolutely.

Stay in anonymity.

If you are griping that they have gained fame, do not blame the athletes. Blame the media which is hungry for the next big good looking hunk to hoist upon a pedestal and proclaim as royalty. Blame the masses who so easily are so easily wowed by a media industry that gives primary importance to good looks and forieign features.

your right, but defeating the defending champion in the quarterfinal is all that they have done..Vietnam might be successful here in SEA region, but they are not the powerhouse here..Singapore and Thailand are much better to them, maybe even Malaysia and Indonesia..

do you know the term "fluke"? that describes the win of the Azkals over Vietnam.

And out comes the crab mentality.

It is the first time that we have beaten Vietnam, which as you mentioned is the defending champion in the qfinal. If that is so easy, why havent we done that before in all our years of playing football? It is also the first time ever that we have won a FIFA qualifying game, the first time EVER we came out of the first round and got into the second.round of the FIFA qualifiers. Belittling this victory just shows the crustacean in us. Even ff the Azkals lose all of their remaining games, they have already made Philippine history.

The win may or may not be a fluke, but that is no less reason to celebrate. When the Americans won the 1980 Olympic gold medal in hockey, many conisdered it a fluke and they did not win another medal for another decade. Derek Fisher's game winner with 0.4 seconds left. Were they any less special because they were "flukes"? C'mon. Give credit where credit is due.

your right, but defeating the defending champion in the quarterfinal is all that they have done..Vietnam might be successful here in SEA region, but they are not the powerhouse here..Singapore and Thailand are much better to them, maybe even Malaysia and Indonesia..

do you know the term "fluke"? that describes the win of the Azkals over Vietnam.

Hello? You consider defeating a defending champion and eliminating them from the tournament an easy thing to do? And this isn't a Vietnam team that was on its way out, they were the defending champions with basically the entire championship team back and you think it was easy?

Thailand and Malaysia may be ranked higher than Vietnam (Thailand #123, Malaysia#132, Vietnam#140) but the difference is negligible.Vietnam beating either Malaysia or Thailand would never be considered an upset. An upset is #169 (at that time) Azkals beating #134(at that time) Vietnam.

Also, a fluke means "an accidental advantage, a stroke of good luck". Should we then reduce the other good games of the Azkals over higher ranked opponents as mere flukes?

Quote mula sa gmanews.

Rick Olivares, media officer of the WCQ local organizing committee, who was in Kuwait to witness that away match at the Qadsia Club Stadium, said some fans of the Al-Azraq expected a much worse outcome, like a 10-0 win, against the Philippine team.

Goran Tefugdzic, coach of the Kuwait side, said at the pre-match news conference Wednesday at the Rizal stadium, that coming from Sunday's match he now has "respect for the Filipino team."

The Serbian coach had acknowledged back in Kuwait that the Philippine Azkals exploited gaps in the formation of the Al-Azraq in the early part of the Round 2 WCQ match.

Ayan, inamin rin nila na wala silang respeto sa Azkals sa first game. Eh 10-0 nga ang inaasahan nilang score eh!

Di nagulat sila na sa first half, dinugo sila para lang maka-score ng isang goal. Muntik pa natin silang maunahan.

Quote mula sa gmanews.

Rick Olivares, media officer of the WCQ local organizing committee, who was in Kuwait to witness that away match at the Qadsia Club Stadium, said some fans of the Al-Azraq expected a much worse outcome, like a 10-0 win, against the Philippine team.

Goran Tefugdzic, coach of the Kuwait side, said at the pre-match news conference Wednesday at the Rizal stadium, that coming from Sunday's match he now has "respect for the Filipino team."

The Serbian coach had acknowledged back in Kuwait that the Philippine Azkals exploited gaps in the formation of the Al-Azraq in the early part of the Round 2 WCQ match.

Ayan, inamin rin nila na wala silang respeto sa Azkals sa first game. Eh 10-0 nga ang inaasahan nilang score eh!

Di nagulat sila na sa first half, dinugo sila para lang maka-score ng isang goal. Muntik pa natin silang maunahan.

hahaha..i wouldnt be suprised if they expect a 10-0 win against Azkals, i remember watching SEA games and the score is 0-10 against (cant remember), but I guess it was vs Malaysia..and I said to myself, are we really that poor in football??? 0-10 in football is worse than the beatdown of RP Basketball Team to Laos in Sea Games.(I guess the score is like 118-32.)

so some posters are right, this is the farthest that we got in the international level..

More quotes, this time from Philippine Star.

“I‘m not surprised,“ Kuwait XI‘s Serbian coach said after their 3-0 win over the Azkals Saturday. “I know this team has good players, especially offensive players, and this team is very strong and very serious, keeps system.“

Kuwait, he said, paid for “not playing defense and leaving space for Philippines“ in the first half, affording the Azkals three legit goal attempts while knocking down one on their end. But after the half-time break, “our players got more serious, got into a better rhythm,“ leading to two more goals.

“I‘m satisfied with how our team played only in second half,“ he candidly admitted after the match. “I think the (Azkals) coach made a very good reading to our team, we had a tough first half.“

“They were tough. We had to earn our points,“ Kuwaiti midfielder Fahed Al Elenezi said, for his part.

So a team that is now #97 in the world, admits to having a hard time against a team that is ranked #162?

Hopefully this lays to rest the "Azkals are overrated" stand of some people.

Edited by pinoywritingfool

that is how athletes are rated, for being good-looking commercial endorsers?

they have fans and supporters, but that does not necessarily mean they are overrated.

Yup... where you've been all this time? is there anyway you can rate azkals?

its called being realistic.

i will give you an example:

ask the LA Clippers fans if they expect their team to win the NBA championship next year. they would say no......

ask them if they want the clippers to win the NBA championship, they would say yes.

kuha mo?

Here is the reality... after being eliminated, azkals will never be heard again.. we will be back shouting Viva Espana, Go MAN U! The young husbands will be a full time showbiz personalities, some will be charged with felony ala alex crisano, program for football will be sidelined again to give way to a new fad - Rugby... Angel will dump Phil.. this thread will be closed 'coz nobody cares anymore.

arguably, the azkals are the best football team ever assembled to represent the country. so i think its only fair to recognize their talents in making the sport popular in this country.

Absolutely, won 3 games, 3 draws, 12 goals all in all in almost a year... All hail the azkals!

Just because they have a huge following, they are overrated? How are they overrated? No one really expects them to win the second round, and the odds makers reflect that. Still, is that any reason to hope against hope, for the sake of our country?

The attention the hype that we are now giving to azkals far exceeds their skill on the field (the pass, Abysmal defense lousy traps, attackers?), I'm just wondering ano na kaya ang gagawin natin if they are easily annihilating their opponents? Mass suicide?laugh.gif

Anyway all this hype will soon be over after today's game (sabi nyo nga nobody is expecting them to win eh). Football will just be a memory (sigh).. see you next qualifying season.sleep.gif

parang boyband ang nangyayari sa sports natin ngayon...Daming fans sa umpisa! Next stop.. the Philippine volcanoes!wub.gif

If you are griping that they have gained fame, do not blame the athletes. Blame the media which is hungry for the next big good looking hunk to hoist upon a pedestal and proclaim as royalty. Blame the masses who so easily are so easily wowed by a media industry that gives primary importance to good looks and forieign features.

Griping over their fame? Nah... Over Angel... Definitely!blush.gif

Blame the masses? Nah... The name truly appeals the masses. they are just having fun!

The media? absolutely. specially the one airing the game.. and we gladly sunk the bait deep into our gums... wacko.gif

Edited by happidick

There's a 4-nation friendlies within ASEAN being planned sometime in the 4th quarter and PH has been invited to join. I think Malaysia and Indonesia will be there. I'm not sure of what the other team will be.

Then there's the Southeast Asian Games in Indonesia in Novenber where the Azkals U-23 team (Neil Etheridge and Simon Greatwich will be playing) is aiming for the first time for a medal finish.

So I seriously doubt if PH football is going to fade out. I think this is just the beginning. It already has a following even before the Azkals became popular (you could see that in the Ateneo field on weekends, for example). Volcanoes? Wala namang traditional mass base support 'yan unlike football na may Barotac, Bacolod at Tondo since I can remember when.

Edited by blow_gobi

Good performance by the Azkals but they really have to improve their passing and conditioning. I noticed they get tired during the 2nd half. I hope football fans will continue to support them. Im interested on how we will fare in the upcoming AFC challenge cup since it is a tournament for emerging football nations. If we top that, then we are ready for the AFC cup. If we again top that then we are ready for the World cup. I hope i will live to see our national anthem being sang in the world cup.

the picture looks photoshopped..I hope they dont make any excuses, mas lalo lang cla magmumukang kawawa nyan..

they have to admit that they have a terrible defense.look at the last goal, the Kuwaitis are running, but there only two defenders..iba rin ang skills ng kalaban nila in terms of passing and dribbling..ang dami na nating imports wala pa din nangyari, unlike Kuwait puro nationals nila..

So I hope the media will stop the hype around them, its a good thing that the Pinoys are supporting our national team, but next time lets support the teams that are more deserving..