Pacquiao-Mayweather: “It’s going to happen”

grayle

FRIEND: "Hey, Manny. You gave in to all his demands. Are you crazy?"

MANNY: "That's how we treat everyone in our Death Row. We give all they want before the execution."

bwahahaha! this made my day!

Teka totoo ba na merong stipulation na if Manny loses no rematch? Seriously?

Tax exemption daw para sa kikitain ni Pacquiao sa laban na ito. Talagang dura ito sa pagmumukha ng mga maraming pilipino na halos wala ng kitain sa laki ng kinakaltas. Tapos si Pacquiao na napakayaman at yayaman pa lalo kelangan di na magbayad ng buwis? Bakit? Aangat ba ekonomiya ng Pilipinas dahil sa laban na ito? Bababa ba ang unemployment rates? Mawawala na ba katiwalian sa Gobyerno? Hay Sen. Pimintel, hindi rin halata na sumisipsip ka sa taong ito para ikampanya ka. Imbes matitinong batas ipasa, nagkaron ka pa ng oras isipin ito.

And again for the actual fight itself, I have to root for the guy who I think is more skilled. Wouldn't we all love for Floyd to be put on his place? Pero this is not an FPJ movie, this is a sport. The better competitor wins and it is what it is. Given all the premises I laid down, I just don't see how Pacquiao will beat him or KO him even more.

• Like (+1) 3

bwahahaha! this made my day!

Teka totoo ba na merong stipulation na if Manny loses no rematch? Seriously?

base on interview kay manny wlang rematch pero meron kpag natalo si Floyd.

ang punto ko nman sa nilalakad ng isang mokong na senador na wag lagyan ng tax ang kikitain ni Manny aba gumising ka nman Mr. Senator... isipin nman nya ang mga simpleng trabahador na kinakaltasan ng buwis... kakarampot na nga ang kita kakaltasan pa...

BIR Henares ito'y isang kalokohan... lagyan ng buwis ang kikitain ni Manny! para lhat balanse

Edited by darksoulriver

well this fight is 5 years too late, but I'll take it.

anyway I'm rooting for Manny, but to be honest I really can't say who wins this, it's too close to call for me.

like in any other combat sport (MMA, Muay Thai, etc.) styles make fights, and their styles are just the extreme opposites of the other. they're at opposite ends of the spectrum, which to me makes this fight very interesting.

Floyd is an excellent technical boxer, so technical that he can win fights while taking the least amount of damage. Handspeed, head movement and footwork are way above average, plus his patented shoulder defense, makes him a very hard guy to hit. He's a great counterpuncher, his timing, exceptional. But he's lost a step, as evidenced by his last fight, and the two maidana fights where he struggled to put him away and actually got hit. He's still great though.

Manny on the other hand is a huge volume puncher, in the Algieri fight he landed 229 of 669 punches with 187 of 410 power punches, that's an insane amount that previous opponents have succumbed to, it's not unusual for Manny to throw 5 - 6 punch combos. Manny also has devastating hand speed and throws punches at weird angles leaving his opponents wondering where the next will come from. His biggest weakness is his bull-headedness that leaves him open to the right counterpunch opportunity, something JMM took advantage of and left him in a blubbering mess on the canvas. He's also lost a step or two though, if you compare Manny post JMM knockout, he seems more tentative and slow to step on the gas, the Manny that retired De la Hoya, was a hurricane of fists and power that was unstoppable.

Floyd has had a lot of trouble with fast volume punchers, as evidenced by the Zab Judah fight (If Judah didn't gas I still believe he could have taken PBF out) he has trouble with pressure, if Manny can keep up the intensity and protect himself intelligently (Floyd doesn't have knockout power anymore, his hands are too mangled that he can't hit hard enough for a KO), I can see Floyd clamming up, take his potshots here and there, and ride his bicycle for a UD victory. Some people say PBF can knock him out because JMM, who has a similiar counterpunching style, knocked Manny out. But what people forget, PBF isn't JMM. JMM is willing to take shots to get one, PBF won't, he doesn't like getting hit.

But still I don't know who wins it, that's why I'm excited for this. On May 2nd we'll see if defense beats offense, or offense can break down boxing's best defense.

If you're a fan of the sport, here's a great read.

Fightland analyst Jack Slack (IMO the best striking analyst on the internet today) breaks down Manny Pacquiao, what makes him so special, and how he does the things he does

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/manny-pacquiao-the-man-who-reinvented-boxing

---------

excerpts:

I want to put this in no uncertain terms: Manny Pacquiao is the fighter who should be remembered as defining this generation of boxers.

Yes, he's lost a couple recently, and no, he's not undefeated. His incredible winning streak beginning in 2005 was broken, but you have to pick your fights really carefully if you want to stay undefeated forever (and use that fact alone to sell tickets to fights).

No, I hope that Manny Pacquiao will be remembered for the paradigm shift in strategy and technique which he brought to the boxing world. There has never been a southpaw as adept in the use of angles to create punching opportunities as Pacquiao. There might not have been any boxer to date with the same understanding and discipline in footwork.

http://h9.abload.de/img/untitled-941a9a.gif

Pacquiao demonstrating his perpetual foot motion. He keeps turning Bradley and improving his ring position.

--------

To land that nap inducing left straight, Pacquiao would need his opponent circling towards it (which, knowing about it, they obviously wouldn't), or he would need to step out to his right, placing the opponent in front of his left hand.

Watch any southpaw with a good left hand to see this in action. But to see it with more polish, watch his left straight against Oscar De La Hoya. Pacquiao steps his lead foot outside De La Hoya's, gets his left shoulder on De La Hoya's center-line, and lands the left straight.

http://i.minus.com/ibtVVh5WGNZ2SL.gif

Often he would do this while checking De La Hoya's left hand, and then circle out. The circling out took Pacquiao away from counters, but also allowed him to follow up with another combination, while De La Hoya was turning.

--------

Here is a nice instance of that same pivot in action again against Miguel Cotto. Angles are not an offensive or defensive practice, they are both. Both the left straight and the pivot are set up by stepping the lead foot outside of the opponent's.

http://i.minus.com/iblBSL1RDi9d8J.gif

well this fight is 5 years too late, but I'll take it.

anyway I'm rooting for Manny, but to be honest I really can't say who wins this, it's too close to call for me.

like in any other combat sport (MMA, Muay Thai, etc.) styles make fights, and their styles are just the extreme opposites of the other. they're at opposite ends of the spectrum, which to me makes this fight very interesting.

Floyd is an excellent technical boxer, so technical that he can win fights while taking the least amount of damage. Handspeed, head movement and footwork are way above average, plus his patented shoulder defense, makes him a very hard guy to hit. He's a great counterpuncher, his timing, exceptional. But he's lost a step, as evidenced by his last fight, and the two maidana fights where he struggled to put him away and actually got hit. He's still great though.

Manny on the other hand is a huge volume puncher, in the Algieri fight he landed 229 of 669 punches with 187 of 410 power punches, that's an insane amount that previous opponents have succumbed to, it's not unusual for Manny to throw 5 - 6 punch combos. Manny also has devastating hand speed and throws punches at weird angles leaving his opponents wondering where the next will come from. His biggest weakness is his bull-headedness that leaves him open to the right counterpunch opportunity, something JMM took advantage of and left him in a blubbering mess on the canvas. He's also lost a step or two though, if you compare Manny post JMM knockout, he seems more tentative and slow to step on the gas, the Manny that retired De la Hoya, was a hurricane of fists and power that was unstoppable.

Floyd has had a lot of trouble with fast volume punchers, as evidenced by the Zab Judah fight (If Judah didn't gas I still believe he could have taken PBF out) he has trouble with pressure, if Manny can keep up the intensity and protect himself intelligently (Floyd doesn't have knockout power anymore, his hands are too mangled that he can't hit hard enough for a KO), I can see Floyd clamming up, take his potshots here and there, and ride his bicycle for a UD victory. Some people say PBF can knock him out because JMM, who has a similiar counterpunching style, knocked Manny out. But what people forget, PBF isn't JMM. JMM is willing to take shots to get one, PBF won't, he doesn't like getting hit.

But still I don't know who wins it, that's why I'm excited for this. On May 2nd we'll see if defense beats offense, or offense can break down boxing's best defense.

A fight of this magnitude takes time to setup. Come to think of it, fights like Tyson Vs Holyfield, Leonard Vs Hagler, Ali Vs Frazier took years to finally happen. When it did happen, many of these fighters were a bit past their peak prime already. Look at it this way, we wanted an Arnold and Sly teamup back in the early 90s but at the time they were just 2 very big stars. Not that Pacquiao or Mayweather are not at the top of the sport anymore. They are still relevant and surely they can still fight. At least hindi ito yung kagaya ng Hopkins Vs Jones 2. Sana talaga nangyari yung laban nung silang dalawa nagaagawan sa top P4P ranking.

As for the fight itself, OO magaling umikot si Manny, nga lang pag sya napapaatras di nya na alam gagawin nya

Wow, thanks for confirming that in the interview, no rematch, except if Floyd loses.... hmmm, if I were a conspiracy Theorist..... baka naman matalo si Floyd! :)

Regarding the discussions on skills and different styles, yun na nga, ang takot ko kay Manny, byera siya nang 4 to 5 combi tapos pag huminto, bibigyan ni Floyd! Sana yun ang pagisipan nang kampo ni Manny.

Isa pa, if Manny is going to be doing his tornado style fighting on Floyd and if Floyd isn't hitting him after those combis, the question is how long will Manny be able to sustain it. Kaya again, my question, is 3 months training enough? Did his Basketball training help with his endurance? :)

I wonder, I'm not a boxer kasi, if Floyd uses his Deltoids as a shield, wonder if Manny should be hitting it on purpose? :)

Wow, thanks for confirming that in the interview, no rematch, except if Floyd loses.... hmmm, if I were a conspiracy Theorist..... baka naman matalo si Floyd! :)

Regarding the discussions on skills and different styles, yun na nga, ang takot ko kay Manny, byera siya nang 4 to 5 combi tapos pag huminto, bibigyan ni Floyd! Sana yun ang pagisipan nang kampo ni Manny.

Isa pa, if Manny is going to be doing his tornado style fighting on Floyd and if Floyd isn't hitting him after those combis, the question is how long will Manny be able to sustain it. Kaya again, my question, is 3 months training enough? Did his Basketball training help with his endurance? :)

I wonder, I'm not a boxer kasi, if Floyd uses his Deltoids as a shield, wonder if Manny should be hitting it on purpose? :)

Its not just really about shielding the punch with the deltoid. Ang shoulderroll ginagamit talaga yan to deflect the punches and protect the chin. Pansinin mo pag nasusuntok na sa may balikat, biglat pipihit o iikot bewang, minsan iaangat pa siko para daplis na lang halos tama ng suntok. You gotta have quick reflexes and good thinking to pull it off. Moreover, his ribcage is also protected dahil natatakpan ng forearms.

There is no point to keep targetting this area if you ask me. Hindi naman sya pupuntos ng maganda dun, at macounter pa sya sa katawan. There is no point attacking your opponent at his strongest spot, you attack him at his weakest. Lets hope na Manny still has that timing going, na tipong pagpihit kaya nga tamaan sa ulo

A fight of this magnitude takes time to setup. Come to think of it, fights like Tyson Vs Holyfield, Leonard Vs Hagler, Ali Vs Frazier took years to finally happen. When it did happen, many of these fighters were a bit past their peak prime already. Look at it this way, we wanted an Arnold and Sly teamup back in the early 90s but at the time they were just 2 very big stars. Not that Pacquiao or Mayweather are not at the top of the sport anymore. They are still relevant and surely they can still fight. At least hindi ito yung kagaya ng Hopkins Vs Jones 2. Sana talaga nangyari yung laban nung silang dalawa nagaagawan sa top P4P ranking.

As for the fight itself, OO magaling umikot si Manny, nga lang pag sya napapaatras di nya na alam gagawin nya

superfights are fairly easy to setup if both fighters are really willing.

Leonard waited for Hagler to fade, in the typical PBF fashion.

Ali vs. Frazier only took long because Ali was banned from competing in the US because he didn't want to fight in Vietnam, once the ban was lifted (with a little help from Frazier himself) it only took a couple of months to set it up (Ali was banned in '67 and the ban was lifted in '71, "Fight of the Century" was in '71) and they fought 3 times in the span of 5 years.

Tyson vs. Holyfield was fairly easy to set up because both fighters were willing but circumstances had a different say, it didn't happen in 1990 because Douglas beat Tyson, and then Tyson was convicted in 92 and got released in 96 which was when the fight happened.

Pac X Mayweather only got delayed because of excuses from both camps and politicking which was really bad for the sport.

Pacquiao x Mayweather should have happened 5 years ago when they were both in their primes, and both were heavily talked about as the PFP best ever. Sure they can still fight but they're both not the same fighters they once were. Manny has lost some power and his killer instinct (he hasn't finished a fight since Cotto in 2009) and he hasn't been the same since the JMM KO. Mayweather has definitely lost a step, especially looking at that Maidana fight, where he just opted to take potshots, and clinch his way to a really boring decision victory.

Who knows, it could have been strategic for both camps to wait it out this long, gate prices are astronomical now which I don't think it would have been 5 years ago. But a Pacman X Mayweather fight in 2010, that would have been the fight of the century.

The shoulder roll is used to keep your hands free, while your shoulder blocks an incoming straight. With your shoulder blocking the punch, you can easily counter with a left hook (or a sneaky right if you're as fast as PBF). It also keeps your head away from the attacker, and also keeps your hands free to push him off or clinch.

Manny can, in theory, target the shoulder but only in an effort to draw the left hook counter, and open up PBFs left side. He shouldn't just target the shoulder though. I think the only way to get through the shoulder roll, is to throw a lot of punches and accept that you'll eat some going in, and use footwork to get to the body, and then back off. Manny also needs to work a lot on accuracy this time, because he can sneak in a long jab to get through the shoulder roll.

But I agree with Jack Slack, Manny needs to know how to cut the ring off expertly, and back PBF into a corner. But that's easier said than done.

superfights are fairly easy to setup if both fighters are really willing.

Leonard waited for Hagler to fade, in the typical PBF fashion.

Ali vs. Frazier only took long because Ali was banned from competing in the US because he didn't want to fight in Vietnam, once the ban was lifted (with a little help from Frazier himself) it only took a couple of months to set it up (Ali was banned in '67 and the ban was lifted in '71, "Fight of the Century" was in '71) and they fought 3 times in the span of 5 years.

Tyson vs. Holyfield was fairly easy to set up because both fighters were willing but circumstances had a different say, it didn't happen in 1990 because Douglas beat Tyson, and then Tyson was convicted in 92 and got released in 96 which was when the fight happened.

Pac X Mayweather only got delayed because of excuses from both camps and politicking which was really bad for the sport.

Pacquiao x Mayweather should have happened 5 years ago when they were both in their primes, and both were heavily talked about as the PFP best ever. Sure they can still fight but they're both not the same fighters they once were. Manny has lost some power and his killer instinct (he hasn't finished a fight since Cotto in 2009) and he hasn't been the same since the JMM KO. Mayweather has definitely lost a step, especially looking at that Maidana fight, where he just opted to take potshots, and clinch his way to a really boring decision victory.

Who knows, it could have been strategic for both camps to wait it out this long, gate prices are astronomical now which I don't think it would have been 5 years ago. But a Pacman X Mayweather fight in 2010, that would have been the fight of the century.

Of course its never as simple as 2 big names agreeing to fight. Before the legal problems, before the suffered defeats, it was egoes that got in the way of those fights and kept them from happening a lot sooner. Add to that greedy promoters and middlepeople messed up the negotiations. But those fights still did happen though these fighters were already a bit past their primes, and at least it happened at the time their names were still relevant to the sport. Unlike Jones Vs Hopkins 2. It happened at the time when both of them were no longer financial draws. Jones almost didn't earn anything from that fight.

Yes excuses came from both camps. Its not always Mayweather's fault why the fight didn't happen sooner. First of all, at the time, Manny was more determined to win a congressional seat than to negotiate for this fight to happen. He was letting uncle Bob handle everything too much. Floyd wont just do business with Bob because he screwed him over. Floyd's hesitation was brought more about him wanting to dictate the business details of the fight. All he really wanted was one face to face meeting with his opponent to offer him a better proposition. And as we can see, after just 1 meeting, contracts were signed. What did they talk about? Who knows? But for sure it was a business strategy, of course Floyd would not disclose it beforehand in the interviews.

I really do not think Floyd would duck Manny because he is afraid of losing to him. See, the thing about Pacquiao is that, indeed Roach improved his game, but as an offensive onslaught fighter. He developed his right hand, gave him better footwork, improved his side to side movements, rotations, etc.... but he still fights the way he does. Against opposition that also loves to fight fire with fire, Pacquiao looked immaculate. But when he faced Marquez for the third time, we saw that his problem with precision fighters was not really solved. And Mayweather is bigger, faster, and smarter than Marquez. Floyd can beat him, and Floyd knows this.

Of course its never as simple as 2 big names agreeing to fight. Before the legal problems, before the suffered defeats, it was egoes that got in the way of those fights and kept them from happening a lot sooner. Add to that greedy promoters and middlepeople messed up the negotiations. But those fights still did happen though these fighters were already a bit past their primes, and at least it happened at the time their names were still relevant to the sport. Unlike Jones Vs Hopkins 2. It happened at the time when both of them were no longer financial draws. Jones almost didn't earn anything from that fight.

Yes excuses came from both camps. Its not always Mayweather's fault why the fight didn't happen sooner. First of all, at the time, Manny was more determined to win a congressional seat than to negotiate for this fight to happen. He was letting uncle Bob handle everything too much. Floyd wont just do business with Bob because he screwed him over. Floyd's hesitation was brought more about him wanting to dictate the business details of the fight. All he really wanted was one face to face meeting with his opponent to offer him a better proposition. And as we can see, after just 1 meeting, contracts were signed. What did they talk about? Who knows? But for sure it was a business strategy, of course Floyd would not disclose it beforehand in the interviews.

I really do not think Floyd would duck Manny because he is afraid of losing to him. See, the thing about Pacquiao is that, indeed Roach improved his game, but as an offensive onslaught fighter. He developed his right hand, gave him better footwork, improved his side to side movements, rotations, etc.... but he still fights the way he does. Against opposition that also loves to fight fire with fire, Pacquiao looked immaculate. But when he faced Marquez for the third time, we saw that his problem with precision fighters was not really solved. And Mayweather is bigger, faster, and smarter than Marquez. Floyd can beat him, and Floyd knows this.

I'll have to disagree about Floyd not ducking Manny.

Floyd ducked Manny, because he was afraid to get hurt, and Floyd said this himself, that he valued his health more than any fight. Even Roger said as much. They knew Manny could hurt him, and that's when the steroid allegations started. And yes Floyd can be hurt, just watch the Zab Judah fight. Zab Judah wasn't as technical as Manny was and his footwork wasn't that great, but he tagged and wobbled PBF multiple times, until he gassed. All that Zab Judah had was lightning speed and a southpaw stance, but he tagged Mayweather all night. And the world knew that a quick southpaw would be the key to dismantling PBF.

I'll have to disagree about Floyd not ducking Manny.

Floyd ducked Manny, because he was afraid to get hurt, and Floyd said this himself, that he valued his health more than any fight. Even Roger said as much. They knew Manny could hurt him, and that's when the steroid allegations started. And yes Floyd can be hurt, just watch the Zab Judah fight. Zab Judah wasn't as technical as Manny was and his footwork wasn't that great, but he tagged and wobbled PBF multiple times, until he gassed. All that Zab Judah had was lightning speed and a southpaw stance, but he tagged Mayweather all night. And the world knew that a quick southpaw would be the key to dismantling PBF.

First of all, boxing is a hit and don't get hit game. Its not supposed to be that bullsh!t Rocky Balboa Vs Ivan Drago. Floyd is a master of this, so in a sense he is right that he does not want to take punishment. Second in as much as Manny can hurt Floyd, Floyd can hurt him even more. He is bigger than him, he has better reach advantage, better reflexes, and the perfect style to nuetralize Manny's forward onslaught. From the point of view of skill vs skill, I dont see why he'd duck Manny.

Zab lost that fight because Mayweather effectively frustrated him and adjusted to his game. Counterpunchers and precision fighters are always known to be slow starters, they like to adjust and frustrate opponents. Ito ang mga nakakaasar sa totoo lang sa sparring. Yung tipo bang hindi mo na nga matamaan nasisingitan ka pa ng suntok lagi. Many opponents fell into this trap, Judah, Hatton, Maidana, and Ortiz. They all started to get frustrated and started being reckless and paid for it dearly.

Before manny got his lights turned off by Marquez, many were criticizing that while it was impressive to see him fight bigger guys, he were fighting guys who had styles perfect for his. Come forward, bully the smaller guy and be slower. When he fought Marquez for the third time he got exposed really badly. That all along it was an issue of style and skill not size.

Before that as well, Floyd called out Manny himself back in 2012. This is after Manny already agreeing with the drug tests. He wanted to scehdule a may 5 bout. But excuses from Manny's camp kept pouring in. His stitches wont heal in time, but Ironically he took on bradley and lost that fight. Another excuse was that Uncle Bob wanted to build an outdoor stadium in the strip. Not saying that Floyd's ego got in the way of the negotiations, but I dont think its fair to blame everything on him. Besides we all wanna believe Floyd is a coward because he acts like a douche all the time, when in fact its all just for show.

I believe it will be good for boxing if Manny wins. A lot of people will be interested in the sport. Win or lose, Mayweather will still be making a lot of Money with the sport, because many people just wanna see the living sh!t get kicked out of him. Its hard to appreciate Mayweather's fighting style by casual fight fans who really have no reason to follow the sport.

Moreover, this is hero vs villain/ sinner vs saint matchup. Pacquiao being the humble fighter who came from poverty and supposedly fights for his country. Mayweather is the douchebag who is arrogant and runs his mouth all the time. He is only concerned about money, and aside from that people love to attach all sorts of negative stigma on him. I.e. he is a punk, a cherry picker, and a coward. So much that they no longer respect that he really has the best skills in the game right now. In a typical cinderella story, we want the underdog to win. We want the douche to be put in his place. We wanna see mayweather get embarassed. But at the end of the day, its the man with better skills whose gonna win.

On the Flipside, pag nanalo si Pacquiao, yayabang nanaman ng husto mga pilipino. Magiging supremacist nanaman tayo. Ang magiging gospel nanaman ng mass media, Pilipino na ang pinakamagaling sa buong mundo at dapat luhuran ng ibang lahi. Wala nanaman tayong maririnig na makabuluhang balita kundi si Pacquiao. Asahan na din natin na gaganahan lalo mga Pinoytards sa internet maging internet warriors.

Sa totoo lang, nakakainis yang mga Pinoytards na yan. Hindi ka matutuwa na Pilipino ka dahil sa kanila. Talagang pinapakita pa pagiging utak squatter sa internet. Ang hihilig sumigaw ng "proud to be pinoy" at "patriotic" daw mga hindi naman nagbabayad ng buwis. Palamunin lang naman sila ng tax payers. Higit pa dyan wala naman talaga iniaambag ng kahit na ano sa pilipinas.

Sakin kasi, sobra na yung idolatry na pinapakita kay Pacquiao. Mistulang dyos na sya. Na tipong pag may masamang nasabi sa kanya, dapat buong pilipinas na maapektuhan.

After what happened in Miami, I would not classify Money as the villain. In fights past, most notably against Dela Hoya, Mayweather acted like an infantile jerk taunting Dela Hoya no end in the build up to their much-anticipated mano a mano.

Anybody who understands that hype is good for this business should understand that Floyd is simply being in "character". Like he said, when Dela Hoya fought Trinidad, Trinidad was the bad guy. When Trinidad fought Hopkins, Hopkins was the bad guy. So hell be the bad guy. The good thing this is that he can attract more people to watch him fight. Because now people are either gonna pay to see his boxing wizardry, or in the hopes that they will get to see him lose and be humbled.

The problem with our local media and the pinoytards is that they cant seem to separate the character from the fighter. Kung sabagay, ilang kontrabida na ba sa telenovela natin ang nahampas ng payog o kinurot nung may nakakilala sa mall.

In the same way, hindi rin totoo a sobrang immaculate si Pacquiao gaya ng gusto palabasin sa media. First of all, plastic naman sa totoo lang yung pananawagan nya ng pagkakaisa. Its so scripted and trapo-ish. Pangalawa nagdrugs na dati yan, nambabae pa, at hangang ngayon sugarol. Di ko naman sinasabing saksakan ng sama si Pacquiao, pero hindi sya santong dapat luhuran at samabahin. Sobrang idolatry na nga ginagawa sa tao eh. I appreciate Pacquiao as a fighter but he is no more than a sports hero

So far, I haven't seen the Mr. Hyde side of Money. Maybe he thinks that the fight does not need hype anymore since it is the fight everyone wants to see.

Sa totoo lang, I get annoyed din when he puts on the villain mantle. Not because I believe he is the douchebag he wants to portray himself but because is sometimes trying waaaaaay too hard. Parang sobrang OA na, halatang gimmick na lang talaga ito and he just want people to hate him more.

But at the same time, he is one of the most gracious winners naman in the sport. He is always the first to approach the opponent and offer a hug after the final bell. Tsaka at least patas at malinis maglaro si Mayweather. Si Bernard Hopkins ang Pinakamarumi talaga maglaro.

The FMJ Character- Myth and Reality

Mayweather is obsessed with money to the point of having changed his sobriquet from “Pretty Boy Floyd” to “Money Mayweather.” When asked to name his heroes, he cites Bill Gates, Steve Wynn, Carlos Slim, Mark Cuban, and Warren Buffet; all hugely successful entrepreneurs. He’s often draped in expensive bling and brags about his winnings at Las Vegas sports books. The probability is that, like most gamblers, he loses more than he wins.

Floyd has been trained by his uncle, Roger Mayweather, for most of his pro career. Roger was imprisoned in 2007 for assaulting his son’s maternal grandmother. Last year, he was indicted on charges of battery and coercion. The police report on the latter incident states that Roger punched a woman named Melissa St. Vil in the ribs several times and wrapped his hands around her throat, causing her to nearly pass out. When the police arrived, St. Vil was coughing and spitting up blood.

Floyd Jr. has had his own issues with women and the criminal justice system. In 2002, he plead guilty to two counts of domestic violence. Two years later, he was found guilty on two counts of misdemeanor battery for assaulting two women in a Las Vegas night club. Floyd craves celebrity status. He understands what it can do for him financially, not to mention his ego. As Carlo Rotello wrote in the New York Times, “He wants to be bigger than boxing can make him; kind of like what The Joker has in mind in Batman when he says he wants his face on the dollar bill.”

Thus, Mayweather has expended considerable time and energy to turn himself into a magnet for media attention and build his profile outside the ring. In 2007, he appeared on Dancing with the Stars. One year later, he faced off against “Big Show” on WrestleMania. Truth and the business of combat sports rarely go hand in hand, so Floyd can be forgiven for boasting that he was paid US$20,000,000 for his wrestling foray. Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer puts the number at “about $3,500,000.” Still, that’s a staggering sum for a one-night acting gig.Mayweather’s skill as a fighter is a matter of record, and he’s boastful when it comes to extolling his place in the sweet science. Among his claims: “I’m the face of boxing . . . I can make anybody look like a nobody . . . When fighters are facing me, they’re facing the best. When I’m facing them, I’m just facing fighters . . . Some fighters do different things good. I do everything great . . . There’s no remedy on how to beat Floyd Mayweather. It’s like a difficult math problem that no one can solve . . . I’m the king of the throne. I do what I want to do . . . All roads in boxing lead to Floyd Mayweather.” Mayweather also maintains, “I’m the reason people don’t watch heavyweights no more. I made the world pay attention to the smaller man in boxing.” That will come as a surprise to Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, and Roberto Duran, whose internecine warfare captivated the world several decades ago. Fans of Manny Pacquiao might also take issue.

Mayweather is a great technical fighter. He wastes no energy. Every move he makes is purposeful. Over his last six fights, he has landed 47 percent of his punches compared to a connect rate of 17 percent for his opponents. That’s a thirty-percent differential; far superior to that of any other active fighter tracked by CompuBox. Floyd knows his own abilities and has a keen awareness of what each opponent brings to the table. “A good boxing mind,” he says, “means instinct, understanding strategy, being tough, and knowing the right moves to make.” He has all of that and more.Mayweather has the respect of his fellow fighters. They know how good he is. It would be nice if he showed them more respect in return. Right now, he’s a great athlete, but not a great sportsman.

When people talk about why Sugar Ray Robinson was great, they don’t mention his win over an aging Henry Armstrong. No one says that Muhammad Ali was great because he beat an elderly Archie Moore. Robinson and Ali proved their greatness against the toughest opponents imaginable, as did Sugar Ray Leonard by conquering Wilfredo Benitez, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, and Marvin Hagler. Mayweather hasn’t had the inquisitors that those men had. He doesn’t seem to want them. Some may argue that he had beaten 'great' boxers like Dela Hoya, Mosley, Canelo, et. al. But them certainly pale in comparisons with the rivals of the real and minted ATGs (e. g. Frazier to Ali, Duran to Leonard, etc.); an ATG beating another or some more ATGs.

That might be a good marketing decision for FMJ, but it makes it harder to consider him an all-time great. Nonetheless, in the next few years, FMJ will be judged if he can be written into boxing history's greatness. FMJ fans need not worry, coz in casting an ATG to stone, his personal demeanor and character are not given much weight- just his 'greatness' exploits. We'll see...

Edited by artedpro

If Floyd and Sugar Ray met in their primes, Sugar Ray would beat him hands down by decision, KO or TKO.

Sugar Ray Leonard you mean? Like I said, Sugar Ray Leonard is the offensive counterpart of Mayweather. Using footwork, mental taunting, and likes to frustrate opponents too before picking them apart in the later rounds. Him and Roy Jones Jr. have the style to beat Mayweather

As for Sugar Ray Robinson? Hmmmm hed take the fight on one week notice, starve himself for almost two days to make the weight, and beat the living sh!t out of Floyd. The reason why SRR is the greatest and the best boxer of all time was that he was actually the one who made boxing into the sweet science that it is today. Before his era, boxing was just human cockfighting. But in his era he popularized shadow boxing, footwork, dancing fights etc. He made boxing look like ballet.

Thing with Sugar Ray Leonard the first time I saw him fight, I liked him already, he is not "Angas".

Edmund, you always say that you are afraid that the "pinoytards" will start making noise again.

Actually there is nothing wrong about being behind a fellow Pinoy like Manny, and Rejoicing if/when he wins.

I do understand what you mean, that there are some people (not just Pinoys) who are bad/Ugly winners, taunting, bragging, etc. even though they really didn't do anything at all to help Manny win, well except root for him.

The problem is you sometimes Generalize, not all of us are like that, so don't generalize and don't get it to you, you said it yourself you will love it if Pacquiao wins.

Heck I'm sure that many Pinoy fans of Floyd, will actually be happy if Manny wins naman, or at least Happy for the Country. For sure Happy for the Sport as well.

The most interesting part for me about this fight, is exactly what you guys were saying.... It's a Hero vs. Villain fight, just because Floyd likes to act like the bad guy, and we all know that our country loves this stuff.

If Manny (the Hero) wins! All is good!

But if Floyd (the Villain) loses.... Paano na yun?

Wake up call?

That the Hero does not always win?

So sad, but it's a BIG possibility!

Pinoy Floyd Fans will probably also admit, if Manny Loses, they will also probably feel bad for Manny.

Thing with Sugar Ray Leonard the first time I saw him fight, I liked him already, he is not "Angas".

Edmund, you always say that you are afraid that the "pinoytards" will start making noise again.

Actually there is nothing wrong about being behind a fellow Pinoy like Manny, and Rejoicing if/when he wins.

I do understand what you mean, that there are some people (not just Pinoys) who are bad/Ugly winners, taunting, bragging, etc. even though they really didn't do anything at all to help Manny win, well except root for him.

The problem is you sometimes Generalize, not all of us are like that, so don't generalize and don't get it to you, you said it yourself you will love it if Pacquiao wins.

Heck I'm sure that many Pinoy fans of Floyd, will actually be happy if Manny wins naman, or at least Happy for the Country. For sure Happy for the Sport as well.

The most interesting part for me about this fight, is exactly what you guys were saying.... It's a Hero vs. Villain fight, just because Floyd likes to act like the bad guy, and we all know that our country loves this stuff.

If Manny (the Hero) wins! All is good!

But if Floyd (the Villain) loses.... Paano na yun?

Wake up call?

That the Hero does not always win?

So sad, but it's a BIG possibility!

Pinoy Floyd Fans will probably also admit, if Manny Loses, they will also probably feel bad for Manny.

Ok, let me clarify. I am not generalizing at all. I specifically label them as "pinoytards" for a reason. In fact, para sakin there are Filipinos, and there are Pinoys. I do not like calling myself a "pinoy" kasi ano yun? Parang yung kakanin na binebenta sa kabilang kanto. Just as there are African Americans, and there are niggers which are people who proudly live up to every negative stereotype given to their ethnicity.

I also understand that sports fans should root for their own flag. All mexican fighters have the backing of their country. Roberto Duran was the Manny Pacquiao of Panama. And if Floyd wins, we will probably hear American Audiences chant U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A! But do they claim racial superiority because they won a boxing match? Do they treat their athletes like Gods? Do they claim they are the best in the world? No.

The problem with us is that our pride has bordered into arrogance and facism na. Daig pa natin yung mga white supremacist sa US kung magyabang tayo, eh kung titignan sumasabit lang naman tayo sa tagumpay ng iisa. The media is largely to blame for this. Satin mga nakapagaral at edukado, of course di naman natin kinakabit ang buong pagkapilipino natin sa laro ng boxing. Pero sa mga mahihirap, mangmang, at di nakapagaral, ang lumalabas sa TV ay tinatangap nila as gospel truth.

Sa mga students ko, I really taught them to ignore this proud to be pinoy nonsense na ito. I even encouraged them to address themselves as Filipinos and not pinoys. Na kapag nakapagabroad sila, huwag nila isasaksak sa utak nila na angat sila sa buong mundo. Kasi ang tamang paguugali is that, you carry your pride with class, dignity, and a little humility. Do not think you are supposed to be superior or inferior by virtue of skin color. Learn to respect the country/culture that will adapt you as you want them to respect yours. Show the positive values you have as a Filipino, but never gloat it.

And eto lemme rant lang. Naiinis ako sa mga hinayupak na ito (pinoytards), kasi ang hilig makigyera sa internet. Pag sabihan mo na huminahon sa pagyayabang ikaw pa sasabihan na huwag mo daw tawagin sarili mo na Pilipino. What an audacious cockroach! Samantalang sila nga itong wala naman iniaambag sa inang bayan. Ni hindi nga nagbabayad tax mga yan. Humalik lang sa pwit ni Pacquiao eh "patriotic" na daw.

Sa totoo lang, matagal ko ng sinasabi, hindi dayuhan ang kalaban natin eh. Kundi itong mga gunggung na ito sa totoo lang. SIla ang nagpapahiya sa bansa natin. Imbes sana ipakita natin na mararangal, edukado, at sibilisado tayong mga tao, ipinapagmalaki pa natin na utak squatter ang mga Pilipino..... but can I really blame them? They are ignorant zombies who follow what ABS-CBN dictates them to do.