Mayors? Negative Or Positive

Erap but not exactly by a landslide. Sana sa Quezon City na lang nagrun si Erap para makita kung talagang malakas si Bistek. Bautista routed his opponents badly as in landslide win talaga.

Yes it would have been more of a match if Erap ran against Herbert Bautista in QC.

Erap but not exactly by a landslide. Sana sa Quezon City na lang nagrun si Erap para makita kung talagang malakas si Bistek. Bautista routed his opponents badly as in landslide win talaga.

Herbert ran virtually unopposed. Chang, whom i voted for and lost, ran to give the trapo at least some semblance of a fight.

The same thing happened in Makati. Binay's opponent got badly clobbered but the opposing vice mayor, Kid Pena, ran roughshod over Binay's running mate. The vice mayor may just end the Binays' reign in Makati next election.

I hope and pray you're right. But the Binays are just too politically well entrenched not only in Makati but in national politics as well.

well, umpisahan ko kay Mayor Lim.......hhmmmm....magaling sa publicity but when you look and observe Manila right now, and dumi dumi, ang daming illegal vendors, ang daming pirated DVDs, ang daming illegal printing of diplomas and documents. THE LAW APPLIES TO ALL, OTHERWISE NONE AT ALL! UGOK!!! Ang tanda na sinungaling pa! Meron pang "THE LAW MAY BE HARSH BUT IT IS THE LAW". What heppend to this guy? Why the sudden transformation from a best performer to a non performer? Wag na tayong lumayo, sa ibaba ng City Hall Taft Avenue side, NO LOADING AND UNLOADING, daming violation, vendors, here there and everywhere. Pedro Gil, nasa gitna ng sidewalk vendors at may kuryente pang napapagkunan! Sa Quiapo, bahala na kayo mag comment huhuhu, ay hahahaha! HELP MANILA GET TO ITS FEET AGAIN..>>He will run again for Mayor!!!!

Expect the worst to come kasi si Asion Salonga(Real Name: Joseph E. Estrada) na ang mayor ng Maynila . . . Isko-Rap tandem

Expect the worst to come kasi si Asion Salonga(Real Name: Joseph E. Estrada) na ang mayor ng Maynila . . . Isko-Rap tandem

I suppose only time will tell if Estrada will be as effective or exceed the effectiveness of his predecessor. Will he restore order to Manila or will he do nothing while Manila goes to the dogs?

Kudos to former Mayor Lim who has since conceded victory to his rival unlike other losing politicians who allege fraud was committed without submitting a shred of evidence that cheating even occurred.

Edited by Bugatti Veyron
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose only time will tell if Estrada will be as effective or exceed the effectiveness of his predecessor. Will he restore order to Manila or will he do nothing while Manila goes to the dogs?

Kudos to former Mayor Lim who has since conceded victory to his rival unlike other losing politicians who allege fraud was committed without submitting a shred of evidence that cheating even occurred.

I do hope Manila improves with Erap at the helm. lumagapak talaga syudad namin dahil kay Lim.

Btw, Lim's conceeding victory was moot and academic..he did it AFTER Erap was proclaimed already..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder if city and provincial mayors are involved in the infamous Napoles scam. So far, only senators and congressmen seem to have been implicated. If not, I wonder what kind of scam(s) mayors, barangay captains, and kagawads employ to steal taxpayers' money. I imagine the same old style of over-pricing equipment, furniture, fixtures, etc. is the method of choice. Yet, there may be other ways these local government officials steal tax payers money which remains unknown to people.

How I'd wish some whistle blower surfaces to expose the modus of these lgu officials. Once we know how they steal, we can institute reforms or at least tighten up the system to make it more difficult for these officials to steal taxpayers' money.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if city and provincial mayors are involved in the infamous Napoles scam. So far, only senators and congressmen seem to have been implicated. If not, I wonder what kind of scam(s) mayors, barangay captains, and kagawads employ to steal taxpayers' money. I imagine the same old style of over-pricing equipment, furniture, fixtures, etc. is the method of choice. Yet, there may be other ways these local government officials steal tax payers money which remains unknown to people.

How I'd wish some whistle blower surfaces to expose the modus of these lgu officials. Once we know how they steal, we can institute reforms or at least tighten up the system to make it more difficult for these officials to steal taxpayers' money.

If they're not involved in the Napoles scam, they sure as hell have their own little rackets. I imagine jueteng money would be the main source of income of provincial mayors and vice mayors.

If they're not involved in the Napoles scam, they sure as hell have their own little rackets. I imagine jueteng money would be the main source of income of provincial mayors and vice mayors.

I suppose to each his own racket. Bottom line is the biggest losers are the Filipino people because, big time or small time racket, the people are being denied what's due them.

• 1 month later...

Very few mayors get to partake of the PDAF pie, as it's the congressman's call on how this money is divied up. Mayors generally get their "kita" thru protection money of illicit establishments & activities, i.e. gambling dens, video kareras, jueteng, casas, massage parlors, spakols. Of course they share this income with the PNP in their area, as well as the favored konsehals. Pinaguusapan na lang kung magkano ang hatian. Of course if the congressman is related to the mayor, which is prevalent in our political setup, they get to share the PDAF with their kin.

With the PDAF declared unconstitutional, most current congressmen would probably run as mayors, or even councilors in 2016. Baka mga ibon at pusa na lang ang tumakbong congressman in the next elections. :lol:

Edited by jetrink

Very few mayors get to partake of the PDAF pie, as it's the congressman's call on how this money is divied up. Mayors generally get their "kita" thru protection money of illicit establishments & activities, i.e. gambling dens, video kareras, jueteng, casas, massage parlors, spakols. Of course they share this income with the PNP in their area, as well as the favored konsehals. Pinaguusapan na lang kung magkano ang hatian. Of course if the congressman is related to the mayor, which is prevalent in our political setup, they get to share the PDAF with their kin.

With the PDAF declared unconstitutional, most current congressmen would probably run as mayors, or even councilors in 2016. Baka mga ibon at pusa na lang ang tumakbong congressman in the next elections. :lol:

It would be interesting to see who would want to serve as senator or congressman now that the PDAF has been declared unconstitutional by the Philippine Supreme Court. Or perhaps future senators and congressmen may find another way to illegally make money. If there's a will, there's always a way.

It all boils down to the ingenuity of politicians on how to come up with a profitable racket that is difficult to detect by investigating authorities.

Hah, on a seminar last week, I happened to chance upon Baguio City Mayor Domogan in a speech for some sort of environmental gathering (nakiusyoso ba). I was heartily disappointed. I know for a fact that pollution is a major issue in this city, a city that not too long ago enjoyed the enviable sobriquet "pine-scented" because of the thick pine tree forest that gave the local air a one of a kind fragrance. Now it's inching itself towards it's just one ecological disaster, if its not one already. Too many cars, jeeps, taxis, people, dwindling trees. It smells like sulfuric Manila here, to be honest.

And what does that good mayor talk about? Global warming. So what's wrong with talking about that? Well, to me, nothing really. Except that we all heard or read this kind of speech already, by countless dedicated, passionate bona fide environmentalists. The mayor sounded like he took notes from them and added little that he became simply predictable. Earth temperature going up? check. Stronger storms? check. Rising sea level? check. Sure, he delivered it in his own unique way, but essentially, it was generic with no tangible benefit to his audience (who were high school kids. I wonder if this exercise had any impact at all). Ibig sabihin, parang copy paste mula sa internet. I wished he tackled on the garbage issue, which rumor has it is still unresolved-they still resort to transporting municipal waste to an open landfill. I wish he spoke about the efforts to combat the asthma inducing air pollution from hundreds of jeepneys that just go round and round the city even if they have no passengers. I wanted to jump in and shout "Mr Mayor sir, what is the status of the sulfur and lead content of your city air?How much parts per million are we talking about here? Can you address the many concerns about rising asthmatic children and the threat of pollution to their health, sir??"

When will we ever have an honest to goodness leader who isn't out of touch with his constituents?

• 3 weeks later...

Hah, on a seminar last week, I happened to chance upon Baguio City Mayor Domogan in a speech for some sort of environmental gathering (nakiusyoso ba). I was heartily disappointed. I know for a fact that pollution is a major issue in this city, a city that not too long ago enjoyed the enviable sobriquet "pine-scented" because of the thick pine tree forest that gave the local air a one of a kind fragrance. Now it's inching itself towards it's just one ecological disaster, if its not one already. Too many cars, jeeps, taxis, people, dwindling trees. It smells like sulfuric Manila here, to be honest.

And what does that good mayor talk about? Global warming. So what's wrong with talking about that? Well, to me, nothing really. Except that we all heard or read this kind of speech already, by countless dedicated, passionate bona fide environmentalists. The mayor sounded like he took notes from them and added little that he became simply predictable. Earth temperature going up? check. Stronger storms? check. Rising sea level? check. Sure, he delivered it in his own unique way, but essentially, it was generic with no tangible benefit to his audience (who were high school kids. I wonder if this exercise had any impact at all). Ibig sabihin, parang copy paste mula sa internet. I wished he tackled on the garbage issue, which rumor has it is still unresolved-they still resort to transporting municipal waste to an open landfill. I wish he spoke about the efforts to combat the asthma inducing air pollution from hundreds of jeepneys that just go round and round the city even if they have no passengers. I wanted to jump in and shout "Mr Mayor sir, what is the status of the sulfur and lead content of your city air?How much parts per million are we talking about here? Can you address the many concerns about rising asthmatic children and the threat of pollution to their health, sir??"

When will we ever have an honest to goodness leader who isn't out of touch with his constituents?

You should have done so. This mayor seems to speak using motherhood statements. But when it comes to the nitty gritty, the many issues that need to be addressed, he remains silent. Maybe you could have asked, "Mayor, in the light of what you just said, what do you intend to do to help reduce global warming here in Baguio City?" That would have really put him on the spot.