Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

we learn and move on, bawi tayo next time.

sirang plaka na yung "bawi tayo next time". masakit na sa tenga. di naman tayo nakakabawi. SBP brain trusts have never learned their lessons. if they want philippine basketball to succeed, they must put their acts together...set their priorities...and of course as what dencio wrote "COMMITMENT".

sirang plaka na yung "bawi tayo next time". masakit na sa tenga. di naman tayo nakakabawi. SBP brain trusts have never learned their lessons. if they want philippine basketball to succeed, they must put their acts together...set their priorities...and of course as what dencio wrote "COMMITMENT".

Yup, "bawi tayo next time" is a feeble feel-good statement. SMC and the MVP group must get their acts together. They may be bitter rivals in business but they must become one when it comes to flag and country, especially regarding the sport closest to our hearts. The dumb excuse of some imbeciles is that we don't have the height. Why is Argentina a consistent world beater in spite of not having the size of Serbia? It's because Argentina has a program similar to Spain which is having a core pool of players and sending these same players to international tournaments. The Argentines lost to the Yugoslavs in the 2002 FIBA-Worlds finals then went on to win the gold in the 2004 Olympics using pretty much the same team of Ginobili, Scola, Nocioni, Oberto, etc. During the 2002 FIBA-Worlds, the aforementioned names weren't even in the NBA.

Edited by will robie

Yup, "bawi tayo next time" is a feeble feel-good statement. SMC and the MVP group must get their acts together. They may be bitter rivals in business but they must become one when it comes to flag and country, especially regarding the sport closest to our hearts. The dumb excuse of some imbeciles is that we don't have the height. Why is Argentina a consistent world beater in spite of not having the size of Serbia? It's because Argentina has a program similar to Spain which is having a core pool of players and sending these same players to international tournaments. The Argentines lost to the Yugoslavs in the 2002 FIBA-Worlds finals then went on to win the gold in the 2004 Olympics using pretty much the same team of Ginobili, Scola, Nocioni, Oberto, etc. During the 2002 FIBA-Worlds, the aforementioned names weren't even in the NBA.

pag natalo...bawi tayo next time. next time talo na naman, bawi na naman tayo hehehehe yes chief, not basketball. i can live with the other sports like soccer or volleyball having their politics or rivalry in their own backyards. but not basketball. damn those argentines! beating serbia with nba superstars was just unbelievable!!! and who would ever think that scola is still playing. the same scola posterized by gabe norwood in the last fiba world. humina na si gabe maganda pa din ang laro ni scola. international exposure is what gilas needs.

pag natalo...bawi tayo next time. next time talo na naman, bawi na naman tayo hehehehe yes chief, not basketball. i can live with the other sports like soccer or volleyball having their politics or rivalry in their own backyards. but not basketball. damn those argentines! beating serbia with nba superstars was just unbelievable!!! and who would ever think that scola is still playing. the same scola posterized by gabe norwood in the last fiba world. humina na si gabe maganda pa din ang laro ni scola. international exposure is what gilas needs.

Actually, chief, Gilas had a pocket tournament in Spain but they went against African teams and had a 2-1 record. Speaking of African teams, the 2014 Gilas team would beat the 2019 Angola team hands down. African teams are good but not as good as the European teams. The essence of the offense of European teams is finding the open man. They are very patient and they move well without the ball. The 2014 Gilas team moved well without the ball. This current team was a rag-tag team that was hurriedly assembled. No sense of chemistry and the result was a last-place finish in the FIBA-Worlds. How embarrassing. In the 2014 FIBA-Worlds, we placed 21st out of 24 teams.

I hate to say this but the loss of USA to France was the fault of players from my team, Kemba Walker and Marcus Smart. Smart missed four free throws in the homestretch while Kemba missed two free throws that could have reduced the lead to three and all they needed was a defensive stop since there were 42 seconds left in order to have a last shot. The USA looked good but they choked under pressure. There was no ball movement in the final five minutes for the US and Kemba tried to will his team to win via daredevil drives, a couple of which were blocked by Rudy Gobert. This has been a disappointment for the US as it has been a disappointment to us.

The Final Four:

France vs. Argentina

Espana vs. Australia

France has 5 current or former NBA players.

Argentina has only one current or former NBA player.

Espana has 5 current or former NBA players.

Australia has 5 current or former NBA players.

I am picking Espana to win it all but Australia is just too good a team to ignore.

Common denominator ng lahat ng teams na pumasok sa top 4 may nba players ironically the team na composed of nba players tanggal hahaha

Come to think of it lahat ng elite teams ng asia may nba player/s sa team nila pero bakit ang pinas wala?? And please stop sa kakakulit kay clarkson

Plus the loss of the USA would open our eyes na nde na pupwede ang nba style of pla. ball movement crisp passing perimeter shooting accuracy and familiarity with teamates is the key sa international competition

Team USA failed to advance kasi dami nga nila one on one moves especially si donovan mitchell dapat natalo na mga yan sa turkey eh

But then again malamang reresbakan yan ng USA sa olympics at ipadala mga superstar nila

Common denominator ng lahat ng teams na pumasok sa top 4 may nba players ironically the team na composed of nba players tanggal hahaha

Come to think of it lahat ng elite teams ng asia may nba player/s sa team nila pero bakit ang pinas wala?? And please stop sa kakakulit kay clarkson

Plus the loss of the USA would open our eyes na nde na pupwede ang nba style of pla. ball movement crisp passing perimeter shooting accuracy and familiarity with teamates is the key sa international competition

Team USA failed to advance kasi dami nga nila one on one moves especially si donovan mitchell dapat natalo na mga yan sa turkey eh

But then again malamang reresbakan yan ng USA sa olympics at ipadala mga superstar nila

Good thing din natalo US. They would probably send a Redeem Team in 2023.

Leave the job to the expert. No offense to Ryan and Tim but Tab is really the expert in international basketball. I don't mind Toroman but he is with the Indons now. Tim and Ryan can be assistant coaches.

i agree on this. as between one rich with international experience and the winningest coach in the pba, i'd still prefer the former to handle team pilipinas.

i agree on this. as between one rich with international experience and the winningest coach in the pba, i'd still prefer the former to handle team pilipinas.

Yes, chief, experience is the best teacher. Tab led New Zealand to the Final Four in the 2002 FIBA-Worlds. New Zealand isn't exactly a world beater in international basketball but they made the semis and I attribute this to the coaching genius of Tab. I mean we had a vastly inferior team in the 2015 FIBA-Asia compared to the 2013 FIBA-Asia, yet, we won the silver and if not for the "Lutong Macau", we could have taken home gold. I also attribute that 2015 silver to the coaching genius of Tab.

Definitely agree...

Wag na mga coaches from PBA that includes you coach tim sorry..

Pero if ever nde pwede si coach tab pwede narin siguro si chot at least cya may pinaka maraming experiences sa FIBA competitions unless may iba pa na very familiar sa international games

Si toroman nasa indonesia na abangan natin this coming SEA games

My hats off to Yeng. I hope Tab or whoever is the coach (huwag lang si Chot) taps you as one of his assistant coaches.

Coach Yeng was a man of his word. Because of his resignation, the naysayers of the program have stopped talking about the mistakes that were made or the players they felt didn't deserve to be included in the lineup. Guiao took full responsibility even if the burden was not his to bear alone.

Aside from helping put the Australia debacle behind, the most important contribution that Guiao made was an investment for the future. When the chips were down, instead of going to veteran players he was familiar with, he chose two PBA rookies who were largely unproven on the international stage. He invited Robert Bolick and CJ Perez into the pool and gave them the opportunity to shine.

When 2023 comes around and Bolick and Perez end up being vital cogs to the Philippine national team, may it be remembered that it was Guiao who gave them their first shot and that the losses they suffered together made the two hungrier for success.

Guiao planted roots and now he steps aside to give someone else the opportunity to grow the Gilas Pilipinas program and help it reach heights it has not seen before.

Guiao planted roots and now he steps aside to give someone else the opportunity to grow the Gilas Pilipinas program and help it reach heights it has not seen before.

In terms of heights in international basketball, it will be hard for Gilas to replicate what Caloy Loyzaga and company did in the 1954 FIBA-Worlds: win a bronze medal. No Asian or Oceania team has ever achieved that, let alone surpass it, since that time. Yeng is not cut out to coach in the international arena but he is a class act.

I hate to say this but the loss of USA to France was the fault of players from my team, Kemba Walker and Marcus Smart. Smart missed four free throws in the homestretch while Kemba missed two free throws that could have reduced the lead to three and all they needed was a defensive stop since there were 42 seconds left in order to have a last shot. The USA looked good but they choked under pressure. There was no ball movement in the final five minutes for the US and Kemba tried to will his team to win via daredevil drives, a couple of which were blocked by Rudy Gobert. This has been a disappointment for the US as it has been a disappointment to us.

Did US send their D-Team?