Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

Coach Tab responded to the public clamor to put him back as head coach of Gilas:

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/tab-baldwin-ready-to-help-gilas-but-says-coach-alone-can-t-solve-problem-a2437-20190909

"The coach can't solve the problem, changing the players can't solve problems, or just developing a program and not looking at anything else can't solve the problem," Baldwin said when asked about the growing clamor for his return to the Gilas job.

"I think that it is virtually a scientific process and it's inexact, so that's contradictory in saying that. But there are people around that should be involved in this discussion and I think that everything has to be considered. I think it is a very, very complex decision that should involve vested, high-quality basketball minds in this country."

Bruh, he also sounds like he has no interest to take the job at the moment. Mukang medyo mapapako tayo sa ganitong scenario,habang hindi nagbabago sistema sa philippine basketball at kuntento ang SBP at PBA kung ano meron sila. Mahaba haba pang magiinit ulo nating mga filipino basketball fans.

Bruh, he also sounds like he has no interest to take the job at the moment. Mukang medyo mapapako tayo sa ganitong scenario,habang hindi nagbabago sistema sa philippine basketball at kuntento ang SBP at PBA kung ano meron sila. Mahaba haba pang magiinit ulo nating mga filipino basketball fans.

You're correct bro. I think Tab will demand certain changes be made before he accepts the job again. For now, we have to manage our expectations and just wait and see what happens next.

chief i cannot see any "DIRECT" link stating that SMC does not like coach tab nor SMC having an axe to grind against the kiwi. nonetheless, IF THIS IS INDEED TRUE, then honestly i feel bad and sorry for philippine basketball. i'm not saying it's the end of it because sbp may be able to find a qualified/competent coach acceptable to smc players (maybe somewhere out there in serbia or latvia or spain or one in south america) but the opportunity lost...coach tab already being based in the country. sayang lang talaga because it now becomes personal rather than national interest. just my 2 cents worth.

Yes, no direct or indirect link.

Are you piqued because I was stated that what you pointed out is not in the article you posted?

No, I'm piqued because you don't know how to infer.

Are you piqued because I stated that what you pointed out is not in the article you posted?

I'm giving you a chance again to explain why SMC refused to lend any players to GIlas under Tab Baldwin AND made their players available when Chot took over?

HMMMMMMMM........

Ay wag na lang.... You don't know how to infer pala. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was asking you to explain why SMC did not lend their players to Gilas under Tab Baldwin and that was your response?! LOL

You told me that Tab was not popular with the SMC management and you even showed an article to back up your conjecture but when I read the article, there wasn't anything in the article that stated implicitly or explicitly that Tab was not popular with SMC management and when it was apparent you were just making a conjecture, you ask me to make a counter argument on why SMC would not lend its players when this is another conjecture. Did you read the article? Tenorio, Aguilar and Fajardo begged off due to health reasons while Pingris was allegedly called on to stop. Who called him?

I don't have any counter argument to your conjecture because it is baseless.

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/guiao-unsure-what-future-holds-for-gilas-until-he-has-talked-to-sbp-bosses-a1374-20190909?ref=article_feed_1

it's all up to SBP now. do we stick to what we have been doing for the past several years wherein we pick PBA players and have them train for 2 months under a PBA coach or do we pick young players to form a pool and train them year round with international exposures under a coach knowledgeable and familiar with international basketball?

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/guiao-unsure-what-future-holds-for-gilas-until-he-has-talked-to-sbp-bosses-a1374-20190909?ref=article_feed_1

it's all up to SBP now. do we stick to what we have been doing for the past several years wherein we pick PBA players and have them train for 2 months under a PBA coach or do we pick young players to form a pool and train them year round with international exposures under a coach knowledgeable and familiar with international basketball?

Chief, I think we need a national program similar to Spain. The Gasols, Juan Carlos Navarro, Rudy Fernandez, Jorge Garbajosa, Jose Calderon, etc. were picked as youngsters and became the staple of the Spanish national team for, at least, a decade.

Chief, I think we need a national program similar to Spain. The Gasols, Juan Carlos Navarro, Rudy Fernandez, Jorge Garbajosa, Jose Calderon, etc. were picked as youngsters and became the staple of the Spanish national team for, at least, a decade.

exactly chief...maybe sbp can start tapping kai, edu, thirdy ravena, ricci rivero, kobe paras, carl tamayo, dave ildefonso, matt nieto to name a few. maybe add young pba rookies like bolick, parks, perez. sbp can only squeeze so much from our pba players given the lack of time for training and international exposure. i'd still bat for coach tab to handle the pool.

Sadly, I think it's all about politics.

Coach Tab is supported by MVP who is of course the main booster of Ateneo and the Gilas Program.

One of the major shareholders of SMC is Danding Cojuangco who is the main booster of DLSU.

I think the issue before is sbp was not able to recognize the contributions of the other pba teams.... smc contributed i think bank then around 4 players...after tab then chot, smc again threw its support during yeng's term... but i noticed during yeng's first interview saying it is team pilipinas not gilas...

exactly chief...maybe sbp can start tapping kai, edu, thirdy ravena, ricci rivero, kobe paras, carl tamayo, dave ildefonso, matt nieto to name a few. maybe add young pba rookies like bolick, parks, perez. sbp can only squeeze so much from our pba players given the lack of time for training and international exposure. i'd still bat for coach tab to handle the pool.

The names you mentioned can start during the SEA Games and slowly but surely break them in during FIBA-Asia. First to be broken in are Kai and AJ followed by Kobe and Ricci, and so on. After breaking in the first two, the next two will join the first two in the next FIBA tournament and so on.

The names you mentioned can start during the SEA Games and slowly but surely break them in during FIBA-Asia. First to be broken in are Kai and AJ followed by Kobe and Ricci, and so on. After breaking in the first two, the next two will join the first two in the next FIBA tournament and so on.

like i've written earlier chief, it's all in the hands of sbp now. we can only hope and pray. the players are ready to be tapped. the most competent coach to handle the team is now based in katipunan. if politics will still come into play, then i'm really sorry for philippine basketball. damn!!! how i wish kai, all of his 7'2" (and still growing) frame and edu, will be under the tutelage of mr. baldwin.

like i've written earlier chief, it's all in the hands of sbp now. we can only hope and pray. the players are ready to be tapped. the most competent coach to handle the team is now based in katipunan. if politics will still come into play, then i'm really sorry for philippine basketball. damn!!! how i wish kai, all of his 7'2" (and still growing) frame and edu, will be under the tutelage of mr. baldwin.

Yup, chief, it is now in the hands of the SBP. Under Tab Baldwin, in 2015, we beat Iran with an inferior line-up than this FIBA-World 2019 line-up.

Edited by will robie

Yup, chief, it is now in the hands of the SBP. Under Tab Baldwin, in 2015, we beat Iran with an inferior line-up than this FIBA-World 2019 line-up.

yup and if not for that infamous home cooking in changsha, we would've beaten china as well. imagine a lineup of asi taulava, sonny thoss and de ocampo. compare it to the 2019 fiba world lineup which had junemar, aguilar and rosario. 2015 also had an ageing dondon hontiveros. while the 2019 gilas had super rookies perez and bolick. after that?...out goes coach tab, enter mr. chot "puso" reyes hahahaha really pathetic!

Edited by junix

yup and if not for that infamous home cooking in changsha, we would've beaten china as well. imagine a lineup of asi taulava, sonny thoss and de ocampo. compare it to the 2019 fiba world lineup which had junemar, aguilar and rosario. 2015 also had an ageing dondon hontiveros. while the 2019 gilas had super rookies perez and bolick. after that?...out goes coach tab, enter mr. chot "puso" reyes hahahaha really pathetic!

Yes, chief. I don't know why Reyes still wanted a shot at coaching Gilas when he had his chance and his best effort was a silver with a much-superior line-up to Tab's line-up and played here in the Philippines. With Tab, I am pretty sure we get the gold in the 2013 FIBA-Asia. In terms of coaching in the international arena, there is a gulf between Tab and Chot.

Yes, chief. I don't know why Reyes still wanted a shot at coaching Gilas when he had his chance and his best effort was a silver with a much-superior line-up to Tab's line-up and played here in the Philippines. With Tab, I am pretty sure we get the gold in the 2013 FIBA-Asia. In terms of coaching in the international arena, there is a gulf between Tab and Chot.

amen chief...couldn't agree more. let's now wait for SBP's next move.

• Like (+1) 1

Argentina clobbered Serbia by 10. Serbia had the much bigger team and had four NBA players, including the best center in the NBA in the Joker, yet, Argentina beat them. I saw the game but didn't finish it. Argentina played with patience and a high basketball IQ. The only NBA player for Argentina, past or present, is Luis Scola. The best Serbian team ever assembled was beaten by an apparently smaller and individually inferior Argentine side.

Gilas should learn from this. The tallest player of Argentina was 6'11 followed by a 6'10 player. Our tallest was Blatche at 6'11, followed by the PBA MVP at 6'10, yet, we got pulverized thoroughly by Serbia.

Serbia clearly missed the steady hand of veteran PG, MIlos Teodosic, who has the ability to play great on the biggest stage. This team got by with superior talent during the elimination stages but fell short when the going got tough. Also, they didn't stick with their big line-up, which has been a successful combination in their past games, when Argentina got the early lead. Boban and Raduljica barely played.

On the other hand, Argentina played with composure with Campazzo and age-less Luis Scola leading the way. This Argentinian team is proving that they have moved on from their Golden Generation. Their 2014 team was a mish mash of young players and the remnants of the Golden Generation - Nocioni, Prigioni, Hermann, Gutierrez. It was more a like a send-off tournament for those guys. The young guys from 5 years ago - Campazzo, Delia, Laprovittola - are all grown up and have taken a more prominent role on the team. If there is one thing that the national team can learn from Argentina - it is the value of commitment.