Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

The puso battlecry was meant to show us filipinos how we won vs korea here in manila...kasi pag laging puso lang ng puso naiisip ko na parang dinadaan nlang natin sa puso natin eh parang walang skills ang players natin...even chot said it in an interview regarding pingris...parang minaliit pa nya..alam kong pang motivate yun meaning nya..pero pangit ang pagkadeliver nya eh...ayun nalaman tuloy ng ibang teams sa FIBA world ang kakayahan ni ping..endpoint nde na masyadong makagulat si mark after ng greece...nde marunong mag pmaximize ng player talents si chot...kaya makikita mo ilan lang ang ginagamit nya...samantalang talented lahat ng palyers natiin...

@ sir mason...anong saying yun? You cant teach old dogs new tricks...sadly it pertains to coach too...i think yun talaga ang weakness nya eh nde sya magaling magadjust...tulad ni jawo...nde sya magaling sa mga sciences and technical aspects ng coaching...pero magaling naman syang magadjust given any situation...parang i would rather have a coach na magaling magadjust nlang....also the gilas program can continue naman even with a diff coach...parang mas maganda ata ganun...at least madaming plays ang malalaman ng mga players eh ...nde lang puro dribble drive plays...and of course para matuto mga bigs natin...mababano lang sila kay chot...even sa TnT days ni coach...nde yan mahilig gumawa ng low post plays sa mga bigs nya...come to think of it...ala din ata syang bigs nun...other than RDO...so for me...out na si coach talaga...baka mahawa pa sa mga new players na makukuha ng gilas...e.g. Kobe paras, alas mas lalo na si gregzilla...

Yes, Jawo is one of the better PBA tacticians. One Jawo coaching move that will be forever etched in my memory was putting Chito on Fernandez in the 1988 All- Filipino finals. In that series. Purefoods had a plethora of talent in Alvin, Jolas, Codinera plus a legend in Fernadez. On paper, Ginebra was outgunned. One of Purefoods' strengths was Fernandez on the low post. Fernandez was a great passer and one of the best low-post guys so he could beat you via scoring in the post or passing to cutters or to three-point shooters. Chito neutralized Fernandez who was eventually benched in that series. Let's not forget that Jawo piloted a team that barely had two weeks to train to the silver medal in the 1990 Asiad.

This is just my take. We should give Chot time. As of this point, Chot is the only head coach to be exposed to various national teams so he pretty much has an idea what to do next time. As fans, we have to take the bitter with the sweet.

agree. jaworski is very situational tactician. a lot critisized him for including chito loyzaga and dante gonzalgo in that national team but loyzaga played a key role in pushing out the tall players of our opponent outside the paint. the match up between loyzaga and the north korean giant (7'5" or 7'6") was a classic. remember loyzaga being interviewed with a lot of black and blues on his face. he was laughing while he was narrating that he only stands up to the elbow of his opponent thats why he keeps on elbowing his face. and he wanted so badly to get even for coach jawo because the korean giant shoved jaworski when he stood beside him side by side to gauge his height. anyway, jaworski balances not just talents of the players but also the roles that they had to play in the team.

disagree. chot had more than enough time to do his stuff and do it well. and as a fan, don't play with my "puso" while he is learning his craft. study coaching somewhere and not in our national team while we are watching and hoping our team will win. because I'm pretty sure our team can win if we have a coach who knows his stuff and not just learning.

The puso battlecry was meant to show us filipinos how we won vs korea here in manila...kasi pag laging puso lang ng puso naiisip ko na parang dinadaan nlang natin sa puso natin eh parang walang skills ang players natin...even chot said it in an interview regarding pingris...parang minaliit pa nya..alam kong pang motivate yun meaning nya..pero pangit ang pagkadeliver nya eh...ayun nalaman tuloy ng ibang teams sa FIBA world ang kakayahan ni ping..endpoint nde na masyadong makagulat si mark after ng greece...nde marunong mag pmaximize ng player talents si chot...kaya makikita mo ilan lang ang ginagamit nya...samantalang talented lahat ng palyers natiin...

@ sir mason...anong saying yun? You cant teach old dogs new tricks...sadly it pertains to coach too...i think yun talaga ang weakness nya eh nde sya magaling magadjust...tulad ni jawo...nde sya magaling sa mga sciences and technical aspects ng coaching...pero magaling naman syang magadjust given any situation...parang i would rather have a coach na magaling magadjust nlang....also the gilas program can continue naman even with a diff coach...parang mas maganda ata ganun...at least madaming plays ang malalaman ng mga players eh ...nde lang puro dribble drive plays...and of course para matuto mga bigs natin...mababano lang sila kay chot...even sa TnT days ni coach...nde yan mahilig gumawa ng low post plays sa mga bigs nya...come to think of it...ala din ata syang bigs nun...other than RDO...so for me...out na si coach talaga...baka mahawa pa sa mga new players na makukuha ng gilas...e.g. Kobe paras, alas mas lalo na si gregzilla...

this is so true. chot reyes has been invited to several talks and I've attended some of them. the highlight of his talk is how and why he chose pingris despite the fact that he has no talent. yes he broadcasts to everybody that pingris is so untalented but he has the drive thats why he is in the team. same thing when he broadcasted to everyone that douthit is to blame for their lose. thats so unbecoming of someone who's suppose to motivate. he makes himself look good at the expense of his players during talks or interviews.

Mahihirapan talaga tayo nun sa asiad 1990 ...unang una i think thats the first time makakalaban ng international teams yun mga PBA players...2nd china that time puros 6-10 hanggang 7 footer na player...sina gong siaobin tsaka si wang zhizhi...pinakamalaki na natin si zaldy realubit...pero ang sarap panoorin na iniikutan lang sila sa loob ni the captain patrimonio tsaka kayang kayang sila ni samboy lim....si paras ang nde makaporma nun dahil nde umubra yun tower of power nya hehe...dinaan lang tayo sa tangkad ng mga chinese...

Edited by azraelmd

Jaworski played with "puso" and coached with "utak". Yes, I remember that game against North Korea. This is just my opinion but if that 1990 team was given ample time to practice and warm up with other international teams, I believe we would have beaten China in the 1990 Asiad.

Just like you, I wanted Chot to be replaced, at first, but I realized that Chot has been with Gilas ever since the time of Toroman and taking Chot out would disrupt the continuity of the Gilas program. Now, if Chot fails to bring us to the Olympics, then maybe that would be time for him to step down and let one of his assistant coaches or consultants take over. We should give Chot time. After all, he piloted us to a FIBA World appearance.

i understand you're sympathy for chot, but if you really look at it, a lot are also there ever since. uichico, black etc. and theres no continuity to disrupt because chot is only reliant on good players. he was never known for any coaching principle. the same way ron jacobs was known for 'defence is the best offence', etc. or really, maybe I'm just talking as a fan who won't wait for another heartbreak until he steps down. i can't wait for the next competition. simply because I'm sure we can win given the right coaching.

btw, he never piloted us to the fibs world appearance. he just happened to be there. we simply had good players nothing more

I guess we have different views. You seem to be implying that any coach could have piloted us to a FIBA World appearance since we have good players. Like I said, I also blamed Chot for this Asiad debacle but he should be given more time. You have to consider that we had Blatche in the Worlds and, in my opinion, he is an upgrade compared to Douthit. Blatche was a major reason why we had close games against elite competition and had he been allowed to play in the Asiad, we surely would have won, at least, a bronze medal. We can blame Chot all we want. In the end, it will still be MVP and the SBP braintrust that will decide Chot's fate as the Gilas coach.

i guess so. no I'm not implying that any coach could pilot us to fibs world. in fact I'm saying it should be a good coach. then we should have went past the top 16 in the fiba world and so on. yes definitely blatche is an upgrade. but if really look at all the games we are always competitive. with blatche in foul trouble and in the bench we're still competitive and even pulling out every time blatche is on the bench. with douthit benched we're still competitive. in short we can win the without in asia without blatche. or even without douthit. yes it depends on the mvp who will coach. the best coaches here (tim cone, yeng guiao, jaworski) said no already. so good luck to us. we are one. we want to win. competitive is not enough.

IMHO the reason why the 1990s team was good was because of the following.

1. The other countries were just starting to be great at basketball.... Iran, the Kazaks, and other countries were not at the level they are now...

2. The Filipinos had players that are at their peak or close to their peak. Check the games, in the elimination round, in each game there was a different leading scorer. It would be Paras, then Lim, then Fernandez.... we were a difficult team to scout.

C - Paras - just came in to the PBA, he really was the tower of power...He was fast, strong and un-injured. In the games, you would often see Paras trailing on the break and dunk on defenders. Cuenco and Realubit were the backups.

PF - Chito Loyzaga - He was tasked to do one thing, defend the opposing big. He did it very well. Dignadice was his backup.

SF - Fernandez - Was past his prime but was a very effective secondary ball handler. He knew what to do on offence. Patrimonio was the backup .

SG - Lim - He was so great at the games and was named part of the mythical team. Gonzalgo was his backup

PG - Calma/Magsanoc - they share PG duties, but I think Magsanoc was used more due to his outside snipping ability. Ronnie was so deadly, he would pull up for a 3 on the break the way Jimmy does it.

6th Man - Caidic - The PH team would always trail against strong teams at the start, then Allan would come in and evicerate the defense. I still remember we were shutdown by Japan and they were leading in double digits... the triggerman came in and hit 4 threes in a 3minute span... iyak yung mga hapon e... hahahaha

3. Jawo was a great motivator. On the folks that think Chot played favorites, Jawo also did. Favorite ni Jawo noon was Magsanoc over Calma, Loyzaga/Dignadice over Patrimonio. etc...

I hope we continue the Gilas program. I would like to see Chot for perhaps 1 more year at the helm and see what he can do. I hope he can access all players in the PBA and not be limited to the MVP teams. I hope to see our younger players join the program and develop.

LABAN PILIPINAS!

Lighten up guys. As much as mahal ko si RDO, I just realized I don't wanna be his wife or any player ng Gilas coz sa pagod nila baka they're not performing well na in bed. LOL

Smile, passionate bball junkies. Let's concentrate on the next tasks on hand.

bkit nman si RDO pa ang mas pinili mung maging husband hehehe...

just everyone here very disappointed lng talga sa pinamalas ng Gilas sa Asian Games...

Yeah...sorry laging wang zhizhi ang nasasabi ko ...dapat si ma jian....wang started playing after the 1990 asiad nun patapos na sii ma jian ....kasama ni wang si menk bateer...yun start ng dreaded great wall of china nila....

Pero same ang sentiment ko with rafael...out with chot....and yes..IMO we would have made it to the worlds even without chot...the main factor was that the FIBA asia qualifier was held here...and of course aminin ko na din yun small ball plays ni chot ...AT THAT TIME...it was a novelty...it was a surprise to the other teams...but the main difference? He used japhet alot...kaya medyo maganda yun rotation...also we had another three point shooter si fonacier...and syempre a healthy jason castro...i always wondered if rather than david si fonacier ang kasama natin sa Worlds and asian games...mas ok kaya? Anyway mukhang walang balak palitan ni MVP si chot so i guess pagtyagaan nalang natin ulit...kaso nga lang antagal pa ng 2015 fiba asia....

I'm disappointed too but I'm choosing to see the glass half full :)

As for RDO, why not? Pag pogi, dami kaagaw. He's not bad looking nmn and I've always liked yung probinsyano aura. Ewan ko ba lol.

its half empty :lol:

ah so u easily fall for probinsyano aura yun pala weakness mo

well seriously im lookin forward for any changes Gilas team will do kc magsisimula na ulet ang PBA magkakawatak-watak nnman sila!

Sasabat na lang sablay pa.

Nuninuninuni.

Sablay ba yun?

I've always liked yung probinsyano aura. Ewan ko ba lol.

Birds of the same feather flock together, magsama kayo mga talo, mawawalan ng fans ang gilas kung ganyan sila palagi, puro sila puso kaya talo, kapuso yun ranking nila sa asian games, no.7, lol.

• Downvote 1

^^^ oo sablay kse WALA KANG ALAM sa AKIN pero ume-epal ka. So yes, in MY book and perhaps others too e sablay yun.

OnT: real fans and real fans abound. *yawns*

Slakey and azraelmd, I think it's safe to say that MOST of us here are excited on what direction Gilas will take. :)

Kailangan ko ba alamin lahat sayo bago ako mag comment about dito hahaha.

Tignan mo comment ni slake, Belga daw at EL Granada hahaha, real fans nga.

Talo rin naman, manood na lang kayo ng Inter Barangay.

Matagal pa ang next fiba asia sana lang maiwasan ng mga gilas players natin ang injuries. Medyo mahirap ang laban ng gilas next year dahil China naman ang maghohost sigurado babawi yan dahil sa mga kapalpakang nangyari sakanila nitong mga nakaraang fiba events lalo na home court advantage pa nila next year. Tignan nyo ngyon pa lang pinaghahandaan na nila lahat ng pwedeng maging sagabal sakanila kinuha nila si Blatche na maglaro sa China para makita nila kung panu siya maglalaro.

Edited by Soraoi_empire

What does the negative vote have to do with this thread? :wacko: Troll on. :lol:

why don't you ask yourself? It's you who's been doing it anyway ;)

Hahahaha ... Troll on yourself ... huling huli yan pinaggagawa mong kabalbalan. Ang babaw mo ... para makabawi NEGATIVE VOTES

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hindi ka pa rin nagsasawa sa pagsilip sa PROFILE ko daily? BADING na BADING ka talaga

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote 1

Belga had never got the chance to play and proved that he belongs with the Gilas in the FIBA o khit man lng sa Asian games...

malay bka mas maganda pa shooting nito sa tres keysa kay RDO hehehe (idont really like this guy :lol:) o inalis na lng sana si DAVID.. saka another big man who can play rough and tough against bigger opponents. :angry2:

Kelangan pa ba ng isang el presidente na magsalita para makita ang kapalpakan ni coach? Unang una...bashing coach is not the same as bashing the gilas players...sabi ko nga we support the gilas players eh but not the coach...oo na nandun na yun dinala tayo ni coach sa fiba world...for that yun name nya masasali sa history ng phil basketball...pero sa history ng mga mamayang pilipino...yun name nya ang magtatatak na pumalpak sya sa mga games especially after the game with greece up to the asian games basketball debacle...sina cone and guiao may delikasdeza lang mga yan kaya nde makapagcomment...pero read between the lines ni yeng...nde nya sinabing magaling na coach si chot para sa gilas...kundi sya lang ang coach na walang PBA team kaya fit sa gilas..

Kelangan pa ba ng isang el presidente na magsalita para makita ang kapalpakan ni coach? Unang una...bashing coach is not the same as bashing the gilas players...sabi ko nga we support the gilas players eh but not the coach...oo na nandun na yun dinala tayo ni coach sa fiba world...for that yun name nya masasali sa history ng phil basketball...pero sa history ng mga mamayang pilipino...yun name nya ang magtatatak na pumalpak sya sa mga games especially after the game with greece up to the asian games basketball debacle...sina cone and guiao may delikasdeza lang mga yan kaya nde makapagcomment...pero read between the lines ni yeng...nde nya sinabing magaling na coach si chot para sa gilas...kundi sya lang ang coach na walang PBA team kaya fit sa gilas..

I agree.. Actually nagsimula pa ako magduda kay coach chot nung last year Fiba Asia pa dito sa Manila remember nung game natin against Chinese Taipe? panalo na iyun eh ano nangyari? nag-experiment kaya ayun sakit ng pagkatalo natin nun. Pagdating naman sa Fiba World ang laki ng nasayang pasok na sana tayo sa top 16 and kung nangyari yun mas mataas na sana ranking natin sa korea ngyon. Tanggap ko pa yung mga naunang games nila kasi first time nila sa fiba world baka kinabahan lang si coach chot kaya hindi nakapag-isip ng maayos na winning play sa laban nila against croatia. Pero yung game nila against argentina at puerto rico dito dapat nakapa-adjust na si chot pero wala eh palpak pa din mga decision making nya wlang namang problema sa mga players ang ganda nga ng nilaro ng mga players nung time na iyun kaya sinong may problema? Sa Asian Games naman lalo ng na bad trip ang tao kay coach chot ang lakas manisi ng players nya eh sya itong magulo sa rotations ng players niya. sa umpisa lang ok yung game plan nila pero kapag nakapag-adjust na yung kalaban si coach chot wala na ang bagal magreact marerealize mo na lang sa sarili mo "panalo na natalo pa".