Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

as long as the gilas team could snag a couple of fil foreigner and a legitimate american import they might have a chance in beating china lets say one in a hundred chne in beating china.....with a complete home grown line up medyo malabo.... look at how purefoods mangle them during the tuneup game.... purefoods literally used their second and third line up in doing so....

Jamal Sampson ... is he the right one for GILAS? I guess this is a good topic to revive discussions in this thread.

The Guy is big ... plays PF/C. Strong but got limited offensive moves...mOstly close to the basket. If the Team is looking for an interior defender and one that will do the dirty job like rebounding. He could be the one.

not impressive ung unang laro nya contra barako bull

sabi sumakit daw likod

sabi out of shape daw

sabi 3 months daw and he'll be in fighting form again

abangan ang susunod na sasabihin!!!

Based on the boxscores of SG in their PBA stint at maging sa tournament sa middle east na sinalihan nila, Sampson isn't the type of a player na maasahan mo sa opensa but you can certainly rely on him to get rebounds and block shot and/or maybe intimidate the players of the opposing team/s sa shaded area. Allowed naman yata ang isang bansa to field two naturalized players so sana ang ginawa na lang ng SBP/SG pina-naturalize nila pareho sina Giles at Sampson though I think that they ought to look around for a player (other than Sampson) who can provide the much needed offensive sock para i-naturalized. Also, based sa nabasa kong article sa newspaper, Giles (who is now playing for a middle east team) has a grudge against SBP/SG for sacking him....

so as you know, Jordan is playing its national team plus 3 imports

that means, they have Rashim Wright plus 3 other American imports, one of which is an NBA veteran

that being said, well done Gilas!

hindi pa 100% yan :)

sana nga kunin nila si destroyer as defensive consultant, he he he

hindi lang kagilagilalas! baka maging karumaldumal pa!

Guest megalodon
so as you know, Jordan is playing its national team plus 3 imports

that means, they have Rashim Wright plus 3 other American imports, one of which is an NBA veteran

that being said, well done Gilas!

hindi pa 100% yan :)

sana nga kunin nila si destroyer as defensive consultant, he he he

hindi lang kagilagilalas! baka maging karumaldumal pa!

Yup. I agree. When Sampson jells with the other Smart players, Gilas should be more competitive and could give the Asian powerhouses a run for their money but I still think that, given time, Smart could beat the Middle Eastern powerhouses like Jordan and Lebanon and of course the current Asian basketball kingpin Iran.

RP Gilas cagers stun fancied Zain of Jordan

DUBAI — Smart Gilas of the Philippines stunned highly-favored Zain of Jordan, 85-82, for a second straight win in the 21st Dubai International Tournament at the Al Ahli Club here.

Jason Ballesteros held his ground against the taller Jordanians, who played with four American imports, including naturalized player Rasheim Wright, while the rest of the RP dribblers sizzled from the outside.

Gilas fired 11 three-pointers, five of them from Chris Tiu and three courtesy of Mac Baracael, who spearheaded the Nationals' attack for a 19-10 advantage.

Wright and Sam Daghlas conspired for Zain to keep pace but the 6-foot-7 Ballesteros scored eight straight points while battling seven-footer Aman Idais and 6-foot-10 Ashante Johnson underneath the rim to give Gilas a 61-47 lead.

“Zain is composed of players from the Jordan national team with four American imports. With the way we are playing, I believe we can be competitive with the best teams in Asia,'' said RP coach Rajko Toroman.

It marked the first time the RP team defeated Jordan in an international tournament since the 2007 Fiba-Asia Championship.

Coach Chot Reyes and his PBA-backed RP team lost to Jordan in the qualifying for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Another PBA selection mentored by Yeng Guiao lost twice to the same Jordan squad in the Jones Cup and 2009 Fiba-Asia Championship.

Gilas, which led from start to finish, continued to put on the heat with Japeth Aguilar, Mark Barroca, JVee Casio and JR Cawaling shooting splendidly from the perimeter.

Wright, Zain's leading scorer who exploded for 32 points against An Nasr the other night, sprained his left foot just a minute gone by in the fourth.

But it didn't stop the Jordanians from mounting a comeback as Daghlas nailed three triples, Ayman Idais scored on an undergoal stab and Damien Cantrell converted a put-back to keep it close, 76-79, with two minutes left.

Gilas reinforcement Jamal Sampson, who was used sparingly due to an injured left knee, finished off the Jordanians after completing a three-point play, 82-76, 48.9 second to go

The Scores:

SMART GILAS 85 — Tiu 17, Ballesteros 12, Baracael 12, Barroca 12, Aguilar 9, Sampson 9, Casio 8, Cawaling 5, Lassiter 1, Ababou 0.

ZAIN 82 — Daghlas 19, Wright 16, Johnson 15, Dais 12, Cantrell 10, Soobzokov 10.

Quarterscores: 19-17; 44-37; 66-56; 85-82

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/181870/rp-gila...-zain-of-jordan

I've always maintained that "successes" of the PBA-backed teams were building up for future successes

that the Philippines will be able to dominate (again) the Asian basketball scene someday

i admit it, maybe I'm one of those pessimists who thinks that actually winning FIBA Asia is still a lofty goal

but not in my wildest could I have foreseen that a team made up of 0.1% PBA players (Japeth did play 1 regular PBA game) would be this successful, this early!

baka naman pinapaasa lang naman ako

good job by the gilas team.... however this is just an friendly tournament and d natin alam the true conditions of the opposing team.... the main goal is not to win but to see how this team have gone so far..... remember in 98 when the centenial team won the jones cup.... then coach ron jacob warns that we might be entering an ambush in the asian games..... whereby true enough our team landed fourth.....

good job by the gilas team.... however this is just an friendly tournament and d natin alam the true conditions of the opposing team.... the main goal is not to win but to see how this team have gone so far..... remember in 98 when the centenial team won the jones cup.... then coach ron jacob warns that we might be entering an ambush in the asian games..... whereby true enough our team landed fourth.....

Now I remember, the Centennial Team (Duremdes, Meneses, Limpot, Racela, etc.) of Coach Tim Cone, they romp away with the title sa Jones Cup but I forgot kung ano ang nangyari after that. Though it is a friendly tournament the players of Smart-Gilas is gaining the much needed experienced in international competition rather than competing as a guest team sa PBA wherein they are forced to play the PBA style of play. I agree sa sinabi mo with regards sa warning ni Coach Ron noon, applying the same logic, it might be a way for the host country and/or for the other teams to gauge the other teams from the other countries. Masaya pag nananalo ang Pilpinas (in any sports be it basketball, boxing, etc.) but since this is just a friendly tournament they must not be lulled into a false sense of security but rather train harder, just my opinion. Also, me player yata na bago ang SG, Lassiter ang surname..

Edited by Agent_mulder
Now I remember, the Centennial Team (Duremdes, Meneses, Limpot, Racela, etc.) of Coach Tim Cone, they romp away with the title sa Jones Cup but I forgot kung ano ang nangyari after that. Though it is a friendly tournament the players of Smart-Gilas is gaining the much needed experienced in international competition rather than competing as a guest team sa PBA wherein they are forced to play the PBA style of play. I agree sa sinabi mo with regards sa warning ni Coach Ron noon, applying the same logic, it might be a way for the host country and/or for the other teams to gauge the other teams from the other countries. Masaya pag nananalo ang Pilpinas (in any sports be it basketball, boxing, etc.) but since this is just a friendly tournament they must not be lulled into a false sense of security but rather train harder, just my opinion. Also, me player yata na bago ang SG, Lassiter ang surname..

well, that's the advantage of having a grizzled international mentor in Rajko Toroman

going back...ang mali ng Centennial Team is that they didnt hold back, not that they were lulled into over confidence

massacre ang ginawa nila sa teams sa Jones Cup

what they didnt realize is how much the scouting that happened there

kung baga inilabas na nila ang lahat ng alas nila, samantala ung iba pagdating ng FIBA-Asia dun lang naglabasan

also, if I remember it right, a vital cog in Tim Cone's triangle offense then was having a reliable mid-range shooter in Bong Hawkins

Bong Hawkins didn't made it to the Jones Cup or FIBA-Asia because of an injury suffered from a PBA game

the same thing happened with Jong Uichico's team

remember the bad fall that Danny Seigle suffered on an exhibition game with Lebanon?

Nate Robinson for Smart Gilas, he has a Filipino Bloodline Limit (grandpa)... :cool:

Talaga? :goatee:

Gilas defeated Egypt in a dirty game 82-78. Halos bugbugin si Chris Tiu.

Ibang klase talaga ang mga Middle East teams pagdating sa basketball..

well, that's the advantage of having a grizzled international mentor in Rajko Toroman

going back...ang mali ng Centennial Team is that they didnt hold back, not that they were lulled into over confidence

massacre ang ginawa nila sa teams sa Jones Cup

what they didnt realize is how much the scouting that happened there

kung baga inilabas na nila ang lahat ng alas nila, samantala ung iba pagdating ng FIBA-Asia dun lang naglabasan

also, if I remember it right, a vital cog in Tim Cone's triangle offense then was having a reliable mid-range shooter in Bong Hawkins

Bong Hawkins didn't made it to the Jones Cup or FIBA-Asia because of an injury suffered from a PBA game

the same thing happened with Jong Uichico's team

remember the bad fall that Danny Seigle suffered on an exhibition game with Lebanon?

And if I may add Tim Cone also relied heavily on his triangle offense back then. Sayang nga na-injury si Hawkins and the same goes with Seigle in 2002 whose injury is a result from a bad fall off an attempted slam para sa akin he could have contributed sa cause ng RP Team noong '02 pero sumobra ang showboat ni Seigle and the rest is history as they say..

Edited by Agent_mulder
This program is a step towards the right direction. Toroman I think is good, there are things to learn and unlearn for our players. What I want to see is for our team to play the "right" way even if they loose.

play right para lumuwag? nde ko gets

ang gusto ko makita is that they play better defense

force turnovers, controlling the boards, make the other team use the clock, etc.

nde ko pa napanood ung mga laban nila sa Dubai

but from seeing how they played vs the pba teams parang nanalo because they outscored the opposing team, not because they outplayed them

meron bang link sa stat sheets ng mga laban nila?

paki share naman

Talaga? :goatee:

Ibang klase talaga ang mga Middle East teams pagdating sa basketball..

And if I may add Tim Cone also relied heavily on his triangle offense back then. Sayang nga na-injury si Hawkins and the same goes with Seigle in 2002 whose injury is a result from a bad fall off an attempted slam para sa akin he could have contributed sa cause ng RP Team noong '02 pero sumobra ang showboat ni Seigle and the rest is history as they say..

Yup was profiled by Quinito Henson (write-up article @ philstar.com) and Dennis Guillermo (article on philboxing.com). His lineage comes from his grandfather (motherside) w/c is a pure Filipino. Imagine a Gilas 5 backstopped by Kryptonate Robinson. He may not bring height and heft but he can be an offensive spark and spunk.

Sana SBP can contact and connect with him to play with Gilas.

Smart Gilas edges Al Jazeera, enters semis

DUBAI – Smart Gilas Pilipinas flashed its resiliency as it battled back from 15 points down to repulse Al Jazeera of Egypt, 82-78, and barge into the semifinal round of the 21st Dubai Invitational at the Al Ahli Indoor Stadium here early Thursday.

Mac Baracael, a 24-year-old pride of Pagbilao, Quezon, sizzled with tournament-high 24 points, including a fallaway jumper in the last two minutes that gave the Filipinos the lead for good.

Skipper Chris Tiu then took over and drained five of his six free throws in the last 14.8 seconds to complete the Nationals’ stirring comeback from 15 points down for the victory that set them up against Al Riyadi of Lebanon on Friday (11 p.m. RP time).

Al Riyadi, backstopped by three American imports and two naturalized players, turned back Fadi El Khatib and Champville also of Lebanon, 74-67, to clinch the first semis seat.

“The guys played with a big fighting heart,” said RP’s Serbian coach Rajko Toroman. “We were up from the start then we were down by 15 points and then rallied back and win the game. It’s amazing what we’re doing in this tournament. I’m very satisfied and very proud of the players.”

The Filipinos, whose campaign here is sponsored by Smart and backed by Nike and GMA Pinoy TV, also drew inspiration from more 2,500 OFWs who came to watch and cheer them.

The taller, heftier Egyptians didn’t force the issue in the shaded lane as they flaunted their shooting prowess, making eight triples, including three by Sherif Gunaidi. But the gritty Filipinos switched from man-to-man to zone defense then back to man-to-man to stifle Al Jazeera’s top gunners.

“They punished us with three-point shooting and it was very difficult but these things showed the character of the team,” said Toroman.

Noli Eala, Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director and head of the RP delegation, said the team’s semis appearance is already a feat in itself.

“Egypt was a very tough team, well coached and has good system plus they were very aggressive. But I think in the end we showed we can match up with their energy and that’s really the key to victory,” Eala said.

Eala said SBP chief Manny V. Pangilinan congratulated the team through text and exhorted them to strive for more.

“He (Pangilinan) texted and he’s very happy, very proud of the team asking the team to continue improving, getting better by the game,” said Eala..

The match produced a lot of heroes.

There was Marcio Lassiter, a Fil-Am out of CalState Fullerton who provided the energy on both offense and defense and the talented backcourt troika of skipper Chris Tiu, JV Casio and Mark Barroca.

Lassiter pumped in 10 points he spiked with two triples then came through with a steal and a rebound down the stretch while Tiu, Casio and Barroca kept the team together with their heady plays. Tiu had nine points, six assists, two steals and two rebounds.

“It was Mac Baracael who played incredibly. Ballesteros played the entire second half and I think the entire first quarter and that’s hard banging bodies with those guys, grabbing the crucial rebounds,” said Tiu.

DUBAI NOTES: After the win, Baracael was approached by an Egyptian offering him a juicy contract if he decides to play in Egypt as an import. The former FEU stalwart, however, politely turned down the offer and reiterated his 100-percent commitment to Smart Gilas. For the first time in the tournament, the Philippines’ national anthem was played before the game...GMA Pinoy TV, one of Smart Gilas’ sponsors, provided the Filipinos with RP flaglets.

The scores:

Smart Gilas 82 - Baracael 24, Barroca 13, Lassiter 10, Tiu 9, Ballesteros 7, Sampson 4, Casio 9, Aguilar 3, Ababou 3, Cawaling 0

Al Jazeera 78 - Merill 25, Gendy 13, Na’em 12, Mishaal 10, S. Guneidi 9, R. Guneidi 3, Saled 3, Badr 3, Mahmod 0, Ibrahim 0

Quarterscores: 17-23, 35-44, 58-59, 82-78

Source: The Philippine Star

Smart Gilas edges Al Jazeera, enters semis

DUBAI NOTES: After the win, Baracael was approached by an Egyptian offering him a juicy contract if he decides to play in Egypt as an import. The former FEU stalwart, however, politely turned down the offer and reiterated his 100-percent commitment to Smart Gilas.

Source: The Philippine Star

Ayos ah!