Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

get ready for your 6th loss!go PJ Simon..

you may want to double check on the post you're replying to...

all I posted was an inquiry on Holper...

nowhere did I mention anything about the game later... tsk tsk!

too many hotdog seems to have jumbled up your vision

Ginebra pins revival hopes on new import

The Ginebra Gin Kings will try to score their first win this tournament as they go up against a similarly struggling Purefoods TJ Giants Friday night in the ongoing elimination round of the Smart-PBA Fiesta Conference.

The Gin Kings will be parading their third import this conference in Chris Alexander, a seven-foot-one 260-lb Iowa State College alumnus who played for Sioux Falls in the National Basketball Developmental League (NBDL) where he averaged 11.6 points, 11.2 rebounds and two blocks during the 2007-08 season.

Alexander, who arrived on Tuesday, will be replacing the ineffective seven-foot Ernest Brown, who constantly faded down the stretch in all his three-game stint with Ginebra.

“He works very hard and is in good shape. I think we now have a much better chance of getting our first win tomorrow,” said newly acquired Ginebra guard Junthy Valenzuela.

In playing for Sky Force in the just-concluded NBDL season, Alexander wreaked havoc to the opposition from February 19 up to their last regular season game as he posted 11 double-double performances in points and rebounds in a span of 17 games. In that stretch, the Sky Force won 10 games in clinching their fourth-straight playoff appearance eventually won by the Idaho Stampedes.

Ginebra’s woes continued on April 20 after losing their fifth game of the conference by bowing to Magnolia, 95-92. In that game, however, opposing coach Siot Tanquincen commented about the Gin Kings’ still potent lineup.

“Ginebra’s record at the moment doesn’t show the real strength of the team. Nagkakapaan pa sila with their new recruits but, eventually, I believe, they would be a top contender,” said Tanquincen, who won two championships as head coach of Ginebra.

Purefoods’ campaign in the ongoing season started to go awry after they dropped a 110-103 loss to then-winless Welcoat Dragons. Previous to that, the Giants lost a close 98-96 squeaker to the streaking Red Bull on April 16.

Reports came out that Purefoods is set to replace Darius Rice with former San Miguel import Chris Burgess, who is currently playing for TTNet Beykoz in the Turkish Basketball League.

But Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio told the BusinessMirror he will still use Rice for Friday night’s game.

“I’m worried with the way we’re playing defense. We are allowing 107 points per game, that is why we are at the bottom half,” said Gregorio. “My focus is how to get better first on defense. If we get better, then the wins will come after.”

Meantime, the Alaska Aces and Air21 will try to inch closer to the upper half of the team standings as the two teams meet in the 4:40 p.m. encounter.

The Aces and Express are tied at the lower half with identical 2-3 win-loss slate.

“Aggressive defense will be our battle cry for tomorrow’s game. We also have to continue improving our numbers,” said Express coach Bo Perasol.

Both Alaska and Air21 are coming off losses, with the Express suffering a dubious distinction of being the team inundated by a record 23 three-pointers set by Talk ‘N Text as the Pals drubbed the Bert Lina franchise, 116-99 last April 22 at the Cuneta Astrodome.

Alaska on the other dropped a close 100-97 overtime loss to Red Bull in an out of town game last April 19 at the Ilocos Norte Centennial Arena in Laoag City.

The Aces will miss the services of import Randy Holcomb, suspended for one game after being assessed a Flagrant Foul-Penalty One for hitting a driving Rich Alvarez during the dying seconds in regulation of their game in Laoag.

oo nga magiling yung alexander

hayop sa rebounds parang si ekwe :lol:

he just needs that strong/quick finish when he gets the offensive rebound

wonder how Burgess (of PF) would fare against the current crop of imports

ok naman si Rice... too bad napulitika lang sya coz masyadong trigger happy

Edited by kLique

Okay naman 'yung bagong import nila, sana lang nakuha nila ng mas maaga baka medyo maganda pa ang standing nila. He definitely gave them that inside presence that they badly needed. I am surprise to read in the papers last week that pf will replace rice, i mean, he is a scoring machine, sayang, sana makabalik ulit si rice sa PBA.

Okay naman 'yung bagong import nila, sana lang nakuha nila ng mas maaga baka medyo maganda pa ang standing nila. He definitely gave them that inside presence that they badly needed. I am surprise to read in the papers last week that pf will replace rice, i mean, he is a scoring machine, sayang, sana makabalik ulit si rice sa PBA.

scoring machine nga... kaya papalitan kasi hindi na raw masyadong nakakahawak ng bola si yap and raymundo. gusto nilang import ung nakakapuntos off the board. (tulad ni alexander)

sa wakas nanalo rin ang ginebra!! sana makapasok sila sa playoffs then maging healthy sila.

Kelan ba next game nila? Hopefully fully-adjusted na si Alexander sa plays nila. Also( sa tingin ko lang naman) coach jong is having trouble finding the right combination of players inside, sayang si salvacion at pacana kung hindi magiging scoring options (sa pagpasok ni Valenzuela), they ought to put a couple of players sa reserved/injured list para hindi ganon karami ang players nila sa 2 position (andyan sina Caguiao, Tubid, Salvacion, Valenzuela, Pacana [though he can play pg]), they seem to be stocking up on that position when they should be getting big men that can shoot (in the mold of washington) para makasabay sa ibang teams (i.e. magnolia, tnt, coca-cola). Wala si Menk, Holper and Reavis, once these guys recover sino ilalagay nila sa active line-up sa dami ng players nila sa 2 position when crisano is doing a good job this conference. Buti nga nawala na sa line-up si jr aquino, i think thayt they ought to unload escalona..