Manila Ocean Park, Behind Quirino Grandstand

thank you for your appreciation of my post.... hope it will guide you kamenyaks out there... like my past employer said if you want to earn a million you should be willing to spend a million.... dream big dapat.... keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars....

i agree with rgcotsworld's post, it is a let down. but we also have to consider that this is a soft launch and there are more attractions to come. i'm still waiting for the open marine habitat that is being constructed at the front and based on what i've read in some other forums there will be additional animals that will be included. but right now, i agree with the other fellow menyaks that it is not worth that entrance fee. let's wait and see after they have completed all of the on-going construction

i agree with rgcotsworld's post, it is a let down. but we also have to consider that this is a soft launch and there are more attractions to come. i'm still waiting for the open marine habitat that is being constructed at the front and based on what i've read in some other forums there will be additional animals that will be included. but right now, i agree with the other fellow menyaks that it is not worth that entrance fee. let's wait and see after they have completed all of the on-going construction

i guess we have to wait and see for more stuffs before visiting the ocean park

HK Ocean Park

less cable car

less rides (unlimited rides at HK)

less size of the fish

less birds

less viewing time (single viewing only)

equals Manila Aquarium aka Manila Ocean park.

For now, compared to HK I gave it a 3 out of 10.

I think it is unfair to compare the Mla Aquarium (MA) to HK's OP. The latter is one big amusement park with rides and stadiums for shows while the former is just an aquarium with a mall. Better to compare MA to OP's Atoll Reef, it's singular structure that is an aquarium.

Better still, compare the MA with Singapore's Underwater World (and not the whole Sentosa), Bangkok's Siam Ocean World in the Paragon Shopping Center or KL's Aquaria at KLCC. Size wise (although Bkk's is reputedly the largest in SEA) and concept wise (aquariums in a mall- except for Sng's), comparisons to these would be more apt. Anyone then?

And I wish people that would write comments about the MA (or any subj for that matter) would explain the reason behind their comments. This is so the readers in this thread would be more informed. The earlier contributors cited not enough 'marine species' and 'unfinished structures' as comments. But lately, I've just been reading 'harang' without any explanations. Bitin.

I hope to visit MA one day.

i still believe that we should have done better even if natapos na yong lahat ng facilities for MA still it can't accomodate the number of people visiting it.... imagine our population of more than 10 million in metro manila... plus outside metro manila.... sure the affordability comes into question... you may ask kung ilan ang makakaafford ng ganoon price... don't underestimate income ng mga pinoy.... marami p din ang may pera.... singapore and malaysia even thailand does not have an extensive marine life as compare to ours..... I think we should stop aping other countries and just showcase the best of what we have.... our corals and fish is second to none if you compare it with this countries.....

^^^

When you use the term "we," I'm pre-supposing that you are referring to the Filipino people. Hard to grasp when, if I'm not mistaken, this project is a private undertaking. If this were a government project, I guess it would be okay to say "we should have done better." We includes you and me, and I do know for a fact that I didn't get to help put up that attraction. Now if the government was responsible in building this place, then you bet your ass I helped (through my taxes that is). Hope you get my point.

Now given our extensive marine life, I'd like to find out how you would have approached it differently? I could only think of displaying different kinds of marine species endemic in our waters. As for the structure itself, would you want it to have the country feel by using local materials? IMPO, I'd ape the aquariums of other countries, particularly the aquarium where people could travel beneath it in a conveyor belt. That I think is an attraction in itself. Something that people would pay for.

If you are thinking of building a grand structure that is representive our extensive marine resources, I'm all for it. However, money does come into play. Paying the P500 (?) entrance fee is prohibitive and attainable to a few. Of the 10 million Metro Mla inhabitants, how many do you really think can afford to pay this amount? Especially if you come as a family of, let's say 4. That's P2k! With a grander structure, the entrance fee would definitely increase to ensure the owners a healthy return of capital. Would people come if they have to shell out P700+? Heck, the lines in front of every Land Bank branch is woefully long of people hoping to get a measly P500.

In the end, if you really want to showcase the natural beauty that our country possesses bountifully, then why not just go to these particular places? You'll end up helping our countrymen along while you enjoy your holiday. If your real intention is to showcase blah2, building a bigger structure isn't the answer.

Edited by kanski

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a1-38.jpg

This is my second visit at the MANILA OCEAN PARK, Father's Day June 15, 2008. My first review of the MOP can be found at this link http://pinoybiscuits.blogspot.com/2008/04/...ocean-park.html

What's new at the MOP since my first MOP visit last March 2, 2008 ? Four things

1. Fish Spa

2. Glass Bottom Boat Ride

3. Shark Theater

4. Air-conditioned Souvenir Shop

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a2-37.jpg

They have placed some tents in front of the entrance to keep visitors away from the hot blazing sun rays

Gone are the long queue lines but you still have to wait your turn as the process of entering the oceanarium is by numbers highlighted atop the ticket booth.

still the same fish tanks and variety of fishes as seen in my first visit. What's really new (at least for me) is the FISH SPA located at the second level of the building

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a5-29.jpg

For a fee of P 150 you get to be pampered by tiny little fishes for 20 minutes by nibbling their way those dead skin off your feet.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a4-32.jpg

very ticklish at first but you'll soon appreciate those bulgy eyed fishes' effort in giving you a soothing relaxing feel, just don't wiggle your feet they get frighten easily.

Next stop, the Glass Bottom Boat Ride

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a6-20.jpg

Here you get to wear a life vest jacket for safety

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a7-17.jpg

For a fee of P 150 you get to ride the glass bottom boat and see a whole new perspective of the fish tunnel below

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a8-13.jpg

see also the filtering system of the MOP

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a9-12.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a10-8.jpg

The souvenr shop I didn't get to see during my first visit

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a11-4.jpg

They even got mascots, meet Ting and Annie, mascots of the Manila Ocean Park

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a12-3.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a13-3.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a14-3.jpg

the look and feel of the souvenir shop just like the souvenir shops you'll find in HK (Ocean Park Hong Kong), Singapore (Underwater World) and Malaysia (Aquaria)

These are some of the Tshirt designs, I personally picked the black ones because of the Manila Ocean Park logo, cool huh Shirt prices 300 each

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/pinoybiscuits7007/a15-2.jpg

What's unique about MOP is the Fish Spa and Glass Bottom Boat Ride which you can't find in other ocean parks mentioned above, criticisms of the park's stiff prices, well you could say that but comparing those prices with ocean parks abroad, the MOP prices (entrance and tshirts) are still relatively cheap! the separate fee on fish spa and glass bottom boat ride may add more criticism on the mop management but the choice is ours not to take part on it.

we went here a week after the opening. we entered the place at 730pm. by the time the place was closing (845), my family had the whole place to ourselves because most if not all the visitors had already left. we kept going back and forth to see all the aquiriums without the crowd. the guards didn't rush us out. it was like we owned the entire park. we just walked casually. my sons had the place to themselves and they loved it. my eldest loved the shark pool and the manta rays.

^^^

When you use the term "we," I'm pre-supposing that you are referring to the Filipino people. Hard to grasp when, if I'm not mistaken, this project is a private undertaking. If this were a government project, I guess it would be okay to say "we should have done better." We includes you and me, and I do know for a fact that I didn't get to help put up that attraction. Now if the government was responsible in building this place, then you bet your ass I helped (through my taxes that is). Hope you get my point.

Now given our extensive marine life, I'd like to find out how you would have approached it differently? I could only think of displaying different kinds of marine species endemic in our waters. As for the structure itself, would you want it to have the country feel by using local materials? IMPO, I'd ape the aquariums of other countries, particularly the aquarium where people could travel beneath it in a conveyor belt. That I think is an attraction in itself. Something that people would pay for.

If you are thinking of building a grand structure that is representive our extensive marine resources, I'm all for it. However, money does come into play. Paying the P500 (?) entrance fee is prohibitive and attainable to a few. Of the 10 million Metro Mla inhabitants, how many do you really think can afford to pay this amount? Especially if you come as a family of, let's say 4. That's P2k! With a grander structure, the entrance fee would definitely increase to ensure the owners a healthy return of capital. Would people come if they have to shell out P700+? Heck, the lines in front of every Land Bank branch is woefully long of people hoping to get a measly P500.

In the end, if you really want to showcase the natural beauty that our country possesses bountifully, then why not just go to these particular places? You'll end up helping our countrymen along while you enjoy your holiday. If your real intention is to showcase blah2, building a bigger structure isn't the answer.

nice comment but do remember that all undertang done n our country has the blessng of both local and natonal government.... so do you thn you can buld any structure wthout govt permts and stuff... and by the way you have the pcture of our toursm chef plaster all over the place.... as have mentoned before the dea of puttng up the aquarum was to attract both local and foregn tourst locals ncludng people from the entre archphelago and wthn the regon... whch could translate nto hard earn ncome both for the country and the prvate enterprse that set up the faclty.... last tme chec maram p dn dumadayo s ENCHANTED kiNGDOM consderng ts rates whch s not pangmasa... so don't underestmate the ncome of our fellow countrymen... two n order for us to attract more tourst whch s around 3 ml (Half of whch are balbayan and orean comng bac and forth from ther country. we should be able to compete wth our neghbors... sure our mall s the bggest ths part of ASEAN however what you can see n our mall are the same stuff you could see at the malls wthn the regon... ergo present somethng dfferent... we have a rch marne envronment all over the archphelago... our fsh stoc s second to none whch ncdentally the govt has pawn t to other countres (dff topc)

during my childhood when i visited hongkong i was amaze at their progress I told myself we are basically ten years behind them, thailand and our asean neighbor well we are at par with them.... now all those countires are light years ahead of us.... thailand has the largest airport in the region... if we really want to be big we should start dreaming big and building big no harm in doing so... look at SM they are really thinking big and that has brought them somewhere.... we want to compete with the big boys we should start dreaming big and getting it done.... malaysia has the tallest twin toweer in the world which incidentally is a tourist landmark.... we will wake up one day and see that myanmar outpacing us.... VIETNAM has already done that ....because they dream big.....

btw you mentoned n how could do about t well ts for me to now and you to fnd out... but to gve you a pee at my bran would present the dversty of marne creature from dfferent regon and may be put a galleon wth the tank to present our spansh past and a japanese cruser or tora tora plane to showcase our hstorc struggle aganst the japanese... well thats me... as have sad m a dreamer le majorty of our countrymen....

galing kami dito last thursday

P400- adults

P350- kids, dapat wag tataas sa 4'5" ang height ng kids or else adult na

yung mga child na 2ft below ang height ay free of charge

dapat busog kayo, di kayo thirsty at tapos na mag toilet bago kayo pumasok kasi wala ng re entry after you exit

maliit lang yung place, kasi kung 100% finished na yung ocean park, yung mall nalang and swimming pool and hindi pa gawa pero ok na rin pamatay ng oras, wag ka magmamadali di naman ganun kalaki yung oceanarium, balik balikan mo lang yung mga tanks, take pictures, videos

galing kami dito last thursday

P400- adults

P350- kids, dapat wag tataas sa 4'5" ang height ng kids or else adult na

yung mga child na 2ft below ang height ay free of charge

dapat busog kayo, di kayo thirsty at tapos na mag toilet bago kayo pumasok kasi wala ng re entry after you exit

maliit lang yung place, kasi kung 100% finished na yung ocean park, yung mall nalang and swimming pool and hindi pa gawa pero ok na rin pamatay ng oras, wag ka magmamadali di naman ganun kalaki yung oceanarium, balik balikan mo lang yung mga tanks, take pictures, videos

lahat pala ng marine creatures galing sa palawan maliban nalang dun sa japanese giant spider crab na imported from japan

sulit na rin yung pagpunta kasi di naman nakikita everyday yung lahat ng creatures dun in one place kahit scuba diver ka pa.

magdala ka ng mataas na folding stool kasi masarap umupo at pagmasdan yung mga creatures.

if you've been to hk oceanpark

di kayo mageenjoy dito i think

pero maganda din naman and bago pa.

ah ganun pala

mag save nalang ako ng money,

sa hk ocean park nalang

how much money ba ang difference para sa hk ocean park experience compared to going to manila ocean park?

Edited by federicuger
  • 2 weeks later...
nice comment but do remember that all undertang done n our country has the blessng of both local and natonal government.... so do you thn you can buld any structure wthout govt permts and stuff... and by the way you have the pcture of our toursm chef plaster all over the place.... as have mentoned before the dea of puttng up the aquarum was to attract both local and foregn tourst locals ncludng people from the entre archphelago and wthn the regon... whch could translate nto hard earn ncome both for the country and the prvate enterprse that set up the faclty.... last tme chec maram p dn dumadayo s ENCHANTED kiNGDOM consderng ts rates whch s not pangmasa... so don't underestmate the ncome of our fellow countrymen... two n order for us to attract more tourst whch s around 3 ml (Half of whch are balbayan and orean comng bac and forth from ther country. we should be able to compete wth our neghbors... sure our mall s the bggest ths part of ASEAN however what you can see n our mall are the same stuff you could see at the malls wthn the regon... ergo present somethng dfferent... we have a rch marne envronment all over the archphelago... our fsh stoc s second to none whch ncdentally the govt has pawn t to other countres (dff topc)

during my childhood when i visited hongkong i was amaze at their progress I told myself we are basically ten years behind them, thailand and our asean neighbor well we are at par with them.... now all those countires are light years ahead of us.... thailand has the largest airport in the region... if we really want to be big we should start dreaming big and building big no harm in doing so... look at SM they are really thinking big and that has brought them somewhere.... we want to compete with the big boys we should start dreaming big and getting it done.... malaysia has the tallest twin toweer in the world which incidentally is a tourist landmark.... we will wake up one day and see that myanmar outpacing us.... VIETNAM has already done that ....because they dream big.....

It's hard following your line of thought while reading posts replete with typos. I hope they are indeed typos and not bad grammar as one might think. But let me try.

There is a big difference bet. the government 'granting you permits and stuff' and the government actually building the damn thing (with tourism in mind). If a company is responsible for the undertaking, then government has no choice but to accept what limitations the company has imposed on it's project. Otherwise, if government makes demands that said project should be so and so, this grand and this hi-tech, then the company can just tell the gov't to fck off and build the damn thing itself. So stop with this 'we' thing, we had nothing to do with that.

Do I wish that this could've been something to brag about? Hell yeah! And if you just stated it that way and gave reasons as to how this place could've been improved, then I would've just read your opinions hoping to learn something from it. But when asked how you could improve this place you answered..

btw you mentoned n how could do about t well ts for me to now and you to fnd out... but to gve you a pee at my bran would present the dversty of marne creature from dfferent regon and may be put a galleon wth the tank to present our spansh past and a japanese cruser or tora tora plane to showcase our hstorc struggle aganst the japanese... well thats me... as have sad m a dreamer le majorty of our countrymen....

Bro, if that's your attitude then sorry to disappoint, but I don't give a rat's ass what your rat-sized mind can conjure. Your example that follows is example enough of this. How can something geared for international tourism remind some of it's hopeful guests (hint: it starts with a J and they live in Japan) of their shameful past. Geesh.

There are so many loopholes in your discussion. But reading your last posts is just too bothersome to go through all of them. Too confusing, too numbing to even ponder.

• 2 weeks later...
It's hard following your line of thought while reading posts replete with typos. I hope they are indeed typos and not bad grammar as one might think. But let me try.

There is a big difference bet. the government 'granting you permits and stuff' and the government actually building the damn thing (with tourism in mind). If a company is responsible for the undertaking, then government has no choice but to accept what limitations the company has imposed on it's project. Otherwise, if government makes demands that said project should be so and so, this grand and this hi-tech, then the company can just tell the gov't to fck off and build the damn thing itself. So stop with this 'we' thing, we had nothing to do with that.

Do I wish that this could've been something to brag about? Hell yeah! And if you just stated it that way and gave reasons as to how this place could've been improved, then I would've just read your opinions hoping to learn something from it. But when asked how you could improve this place you answered..

Bro, if that's your attitude then sorry to disappoint, but I don't give a rat's ass what your rat-sized mind can conjure. Your example that follows is example enough of this. How can something geared for international tourism remind some of it's hopeful guests (hint: it starts with a J and they live in Japan) of their shameful past. Geesh.

There are so many loopholes in your discussion. But reading your last posts is just too bothersome to go through all of them. Too confusing, too numbing to even ponder.

sorry for the typo error... cra navirus computer having a hard tym using it.... we could argue back nd forth with ech of us having his own point.... but the bottomline is this.... do we nid our investor both oreign and local o dictte to us.... chin has a policy of none ownership of proprty and yet they are a lot of foreigner building poperty or investing there... i have a friend who lmot trnsfer teir opertions there.... thing is dapat my pride naman tayo.... dream big.... look at sm and other big local investor there building big.... and luckily there very successful.... for us toget out of this muck we should start nd do things that will put us at prwith ourclost neighbor.... look at thailand they now hve one of the largest irport in he world....

mahenchanted lkingdom n lang kayo one to sawa p ride... then go to cartimar to view the pets libre p.... hehehe o kaya drop by bioresearch dyan s sucat educational p... sayang lang pera nyo its a rip off talaga... if you have enough money might as well go abroad to hongkong sulit p gastos nyo... e nagtayo cla ng mall na katabi di p b tayo sawa s mall... nandiyan yong mall of asia greenbelt glorieta... dapat inextend mla yong auaarium nla to the other side... kung gusto nyo aquarium n mas malaki madami at magaganda mga isda dyan s quezon ave.... hehehehe

that's good..hehe.

The fish varieties seen at the MOP can also be found in other oceanariums in Asia, the MOP has one spider-crab while Singapore's Underwater World has 3 when I was there March 2007. Malaysia's Aquaria isn't really huge and is almost similar in size with MOP but has mammals and reptiles other than fishes. Hong Kong's Atol Reef has a huge aquarium 4 storeys high with lots of fish varieties and some are huge than those seen at MOP. The better way to compare MOP with other OPs abroad is by their specific structures like Ocean Park Hong Kong's Atol Reef and MOP Oceanarium, NOT OPHK (Ocean Park Hong Kong) and MOP as a whole. If you want to compare OPHK's fun rides then compare it with the fun rides at Star City or Enchanted Kingdom. Like what I've said before , each oceanariums has its own distinction and its own weaknesses and strengths. I too got shown with rude behaviors from the MOP staffs but that didn't stop me from making my 2nd visit, the MOP still in its infancy and let's give them time to mature, afterall the soon-to-open Mall promises to be unique than the MOA and the area where you can scuba dive. Whether you hate MOP or love MOP at least the Philippines , the last Asian country to finally have one which we can be proud of. and just in case you see me at a mall I'll be wearing the MOP shirt, that's called patriotism.