How Can I Quit Smoking?

In my case, I just kept trying. Madaming setbacks yan for sure pero you just have keep on trying. Nung una, days lng balik yosi na agad, tapos weeks tapos months... subok lng ng subok. pinakamahaba ko was 1 year... then kala ko ok na, biglang napapanaginipan ko na bigla. Ayun setback uli... pero subok na huminto uli... now mga 2 years nako di nagyoysi.

I've been a heavy smoker from 2nd year high school until after graduation. So bale 6 to 7 years I have been smoking heavily. On my 4th to to 7 year of smoking, I had a GF na smoker din so mas naging smoker ako, which is 2 packs per day lalo na pag nag iinuman mas masarap mag smoke so basically ang lakas ko mag smoke.

Then I had to enrolled to a GYM on Jan 2009 as part of my self health awareness. The first few weeks hirap na hirap ako, So my gym trainer asked me to stop and gave me the negative effects of smoking while going to the gym.

So I followed my trainer's instructions and literally, the next day, I stopped smoking. Stopped it like I was really a non smoker. No withdrawal syndrome etc. It is now 2017, I am a non smoker for 8 years. (I had smoked Medicinal bong pipes that you can order from some Arab restaurants maybe once or twice but it is not considered as a tobacco and it has health benefits)

The reason why I want to share my story from the beginning is to say that quitting smoking is not that hard. Sabi nila mahirap, yung iba kelangan pa ng rehab or therapy. Well for me that is B.S. Nasa utak lang yan at sa kagustuhan mo mag quit. Well I am a living proof ng from 7 years of smoking, the next day from 2009 upto present, I have never touched a cigar nor my lips has.

So sa mga gusto mag quit. Do it now, its not hard., its not too late, just focus and forget. it is fulfilling I'm telling you guys.

Imagine all the harmful effects yet you can't still bring yourself to quit? It means you have a really low EQ.

i apologize, but that's not really a fair thing to say

as a former smoker i do not think my EQ changed from my smoking to non-smoking days

i feel healthier but emotionally i'm still the same person

Edited by Kevin Kwan

i apologize, but that's not really a fair thing to say

as a former smoker i do not think my EQ changed from my smoking to non-smoking days

i feel healthier but emotionally i'm still the same person

Paki-research na lang po meaning ng emotional intelligence (EQ or EI). Usually as we mature dapat tataas yun ability natin to control our emotions. Kaya nga may lumabas din na study na pag bata ka pa mataas na EQ mo, mas malaki yun possibility na maging successful ka financially ng mas maaga.

Being a smoker has nothing to do with EQ; it has a lot more to do with subconscious programming from a smoking environment. If you have friends, family, and other support groups who smoke, then the chances are, you'll be a smoker too.

Whether or not you REMAIN a smoker, that's when "EQ" sets in. If you have a deep desire to quit smoking and live a healthier lifestyle, then you'll slowly find yourself distancing yourself physically from friends, family, co-workers, etc. who smoke.

I believe that the best way to quit any negative habit is to find support from other people who have the lifestyle you want. This goes for virtually any addiction. This is why a lot of ex-gamblers, ex-sex addicts, ex-drug addicts, etc. end up in Church groups because people there tend to live "cleaner" lives.

I've been through this cycle. I had many addictions until I started hanging out with other people. My addictions changed - from drinking to working out. From drugs to relationships. But once I stopped hanging out with positive support groups, my addictions returned.

Addiction is a part of human nature; it stems from the longingness to connect to something. For some, it's nature. For others, it's friends and family. For others still, it's God, work, or vocation. Smoking is just something that's not sensible for me. I don't want to end up in a hospital having undergone a triple bypass for atherosclerosis, or worse yet, lung cancer. That is a pain I would not wish upon my worst enemy.

thank you yerba_mate

i rest my case

same on food and cravings. diet. have a max no. of sticks per day. then reduce it monthly. keep to your schedule. and as my old prof used to say... it takes 21 days to make or break a habit.

yun psychological feel na may stick ng cigar sa mouth and pag hithit ng cigar, well... tiis tiis na muna sa menthol candies... and drink lots of water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...