The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

any thoughts on this upcoming movies...

spiderman

catwoman

the punisher

blade 3 (i saw it on mtv)

i was really disappointed with the 1st spider man because of green globlin's odd looking mask... as for the 2nd, i'm not impressed with the trailers so far.

as for catwoman, i think it's only a movie to show halle berry's "assets". i think this is gonna be a dumb movie.

for the punisher, it looks like a typical action movie. me pagka pinoy action ang dating... hehehe

for blade 3, i'm having high expectations. the previous 2 were very good. actually, i think this is the best comic-to-cinema adaptation, IMHO.

what about you guys?

Review: Vin Diesel attempts an action comeback.

June 10, 2004 - With so many uber-franchises put into development in recent years, each competing to ascend the throne of trilogies like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings, it seems only natural that studios are now looking to their back catalogue for material from which to create the next successful film series. The Chronicles of Riddick, technically speaking, is the follow-up to 2000's Pitch Black, but you'd hardly know it from the lavish production design, augmented cast of characters and broadened narrative scope, and that's just the way Universal wants it. The first film did moderately well in theatres and flourished on DVD, but not nearly well enough to make a household name out of Riddick. Thankfully, Vin Diesel, star of the first film, returns to the role that made the film famous, this time perhaps slightly over-inflated from intervening years of commercial success (if also critical derision), and invigorates this ambitious play for cinematic mythology without lessening its visceral impact as a solidly entertaining summer jaunt.

In the opening scenes, we are introduced to a series of characters and worlds that could scarcely have been imagined at the time of Pitch Black's release, and which exist in the same universe as such creations as Star Wars' Empire – except this time with an added dose of Shakespearean intrigue. The Necromongers, led by the sixth in a line of Lord Marshals (Colm Feore), swallow planets whole in their efforts to conquer the universe, offering each orb's inhabitants one of two options: join them or die. As Lord Marshal's armies, led by vigilant, dedicated commanders like Vaako (Karl Urban), rapidly approach their latest conquest, the planet's people – unofficially led by an "elemental" named Aereon (Judi Dench) – enlist Riddick's reluctant aid to help save their planet.

Before long, however, Vaako and the Necromongers overrun the planet, unleashing hordes of soldiers to dispatch the people and enslave them to their will. Riddick is captured, and is granted special audience with Lord Marshal, who mysteriously offers to release him on the condition he leave the planetary system and never return. Refusing but escaping nonetheless, Riddick jumps from one imperiled situation to another as he's captured by money-hungry mercenaries who seek to claim the reward placed on his head. Taking him to a remote prison colony on the planet of Crematoria, where the surface boils at over 700 degrees during the day, Riddick is cast into a pit of thieves and bandits to die while the mercs await payment for their recovery. Vaako and a crew of assassins follow hot on the mercenaries' heels, and Riddick finds himself once again caught between two extremely difficult sets of circumstances.

Aided by a few of the inmates, including Kyra (Alexa Davalos), a young woman whose life he saved five years prior, Riddick races to escape the fiery planet before he is left there to die, and then must choose whether to fulfill his destiny as the last member of his race (fierce warriors known as Furions) and fight against the seemingly insurmountable power of the Necromongers.

Confused yet? Well, take heart, all of you who know nothing of the characters and worlds of which I speak. Most of the back story matters little except to shuttle Riddick from one set piece to another. In this case, however, that isn't such a bad thing. Just weeks ago, as considerably less talented directors like Stephen Sommers were trying to create their own mythologies on screen to ensure the future of long-established big screen characters, and further to that end, their own careers, the summer movie season emerged stillborn after a generally lackluster winter and spring. With Riddick, audiences finally have the kind of movie for which terms like blockbuster were born; David Twohy's film is enormous, bigger than anything you've likely seen this year, and its scope counts for much after you've finished scratching your head at the seemingly endless series of new and fantastic creatures that Twohy's script has thrown your way.

Vin Diesel, his own tarnished pedigree as an A-lister notwithstanding, is actually the perfect kind of actor for a film of this size, when the broad strokes are truly what's important (or at least are what will be effectively conveyed). His physicality resembles a latter-day Conan, rippling with muscles the rest of us layabouts only fantasize about, and his personality – here sculpted down to reveal the essence of Diesel's charisma without asking for too much verbiage – maintains a laconic edge that the film wisely never loses in the interest of making him more likeable or kid-friendly. His co-stars, thankfully, are also up for the task of such weighty, theatrical material, and give their respective characters the same minimally conflicted senses of obligation that make the overall arc of the story work.

Colm Feore, a stalwart cinematic bad guy (of Paycheck amongst others) who closely resembles Alias' Victor Garber (I must admit I occasionally confuse the two), plays his own role as Lord Marshal closer to the vest than one might expect, and gives the character a believability that one wouldn't expect from the film's centripetal villain, while Karl Urban, winning in a small role in the Lord of the Rings films, lends Vaako the heavy-hearted resignation of a commander who loves his general but knows he must be overthrown. Thandie Newton (Shade), perfect for the multi-culti approach of the emerging series, does well as Vaako's Lady Macbeth, a woman who as David Twohy himself described as possessing "enough ambition for both of them," while Davalos' turn as Riddick's female counterpart/ daughter figure/ potential love interest shoulders too much of the film's self-appointed responsibility to create and resolve an emotional arc. She does kick a fair amount of ass, though.

Whether The Chronicles of Riddick eventually takes its place among the Matrixes of modern movie trilogies (or even makes it to a third film) remains to be seen; regardless, Diesel has chosen his comeback project wisely, and proves that there still yet may be more to see from his hulking brand of anti-heroism. David Twohy, while not being a particularly inventive director, has latched onto a project that will surely catapult him above the low-key projects he's done in the past (such as Below and, well, Pitch Black), and he proves for now that he can at least run alongside the big boys of action. As the launching pad for a new film series, Riddick demonstrates how single volumes can often fly further when unencumbered by the burden of the series they came from; as a unique entity, it soars high above the low-level ambition of its competition, and makes us anticipate subsequent summer movie installments rather than reminisce about their predecessors.

any thoughts on this upcoming movies...

spiderman

catwoman

the punisher

blade 3 (i saw it on mtv)

i was really disappointed with the 1st spider man because of green globlin's odd looking mask... as for the 2nd, i'm not impressed with the trailers so far.

as for catwoman, i think it's only a movie to show halle berry's "assets". i think this is gonna be a dumb movie.

for the punisher, it looks like a typical action movie. me pagka pinoy action ang dating... hehehe

for blade 3, i'm having high expectations. the previous 2 were very good. actually, i think this is the best comic-to-cinema adaptation, IMHO.

what about you guys?

Saw the trailer of blade 3 too over at mtv. Looks great! It looks like it'll exceed the first two parts in terms of....evrything basically. What about DODGEBALL? Movie featuring ben stiller and vince vaughn(The villain in the starsky and hutch movie). Anyone heard or seen the trailer of the movie?

Yeah I found HP3 very disappointing... I mean c'mon there are so many events they cut off! They should have included some qudditch matches like the finals between slytherin and gryffindor - I would have loved to see Oliver Wood acting all hysterical and the look on Malfoy's face when Harry unleashed his Patronus on him. And what about Cho? Wasn't she suppossed to be introduced here aswell? Also there was no explanation on the creators of the Marauders Map (Padfoot, Moony, Wormtail, Prongs) and the fact that what drove Sirius, Peter and Harry's dad to become animagi was the fact that they wanted to keep Lupin's transformations much tolerable. There are just soo many things to complain about... so my versict is JUST READ THE BOOK! lol

any one here who's watched 'the day after tomorrow'? what's your review of the movie?

Seen this movie...

Not satisfied w/ the story, since unti lang yung twist!

Shallow ang backgroud though ok na rin ang effects!!!

Iba pa rin compared sa Independence Day!

spider man 2 showing na!

The lines to the box office says it all! Taob talaga MMF movies kanina! ratio is 1:50!

anyway, as far as the movie is concerned, medyo nagfast-track yata yung story line dito kasi in a span of 90mins++ andaming transition eh!

Technically speaking, mas 'clean' yung 3d rendering kay spidey this time compared to the first film. Alot of cool special effects, specially that of Dr. Octopus's mechanical arms. Good fight scenes make up for the somewhat 'silly' humour that they put in the film. Entertaining, definitely, but if you really look into detail, you'll find it (the movie) quite 'unsatisfying' ...

Still, the movie has failed to answer my question:

"San pinagawa ni Spiderman yung costume nya???"

PEACE homies! :cool:

The following is my review of the movie Spider-Man 2. It's spoiler-free, so those who haven't seen it don't have to worry about me ruining any surprises. :)

Before I give my review, I want to give full disclosure and say that I am a big, big fan of the character Spider-Man. Having said that, I'll try to give as un-biased an opinion as I can.

I liked this movie. Better than the first one. It was better over-all. The story was just as good as the original's, featuring plenty of character development as well as a good dose action. There are more than a couple holes in the plot, but I can ignore them on the merits of the movie as a whole.

The action scenes in this sequel are nothing short of spectacular. They looked like they were taken straight out of the comic books they're based on. Appropriately over-the-top super heroic action. The CGI fight scenes are much better executed this time around.

Alfred Molina's Dr. Octopus was a treat to watch! In my opinion, they couldn't have picked a better actor to play this part: For one, he looks the part. Almost to a tee. For another, he definitely has the acting chops to pull off the character. It's too bad the script didn't take full advantage of his acting ability, as I felt that his scenes were a little too abbreviated.

On the negative side, I feel that Sam Raimi lets a bit too much of his being a fan of the comic books show through. I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I said that the movie ends up being overly melodramatic. I won't describe the exact scene, as I want to keep this review spoiler-free, but look out for the scene in the subway with the by-standers. It's a doozy.

A very entertaining sequel, superior in general, to the original. I give this movie my highest recommendation.

The following is my review of the movie Spider-Man 2. It's spoiler-free, so those who haven't seen it don't have to worry about me ruining any surprises. :)

Before I give my review, I want to give full disclosure and say that I am a big, big fan of the character Spider-Man. Having said that, I'll try to give as un-biased an opinion as I can.

I liked this movie. Better than the first one. It was better over-all. The story was just as good as the original's, featuring plenty of character development as well as a good dose action. There are more than a couple holes in the plot, but I can ignore them on the merits of the movie as a whole.

The action scenes in this sequel are nothing short of spectacular. They looked like they were taken straight out of the comic books they're based on. Appropriately over-the-top super heroic action. The CGI fight scenes are much better executed this time around.

Alfred Molina's Dr. Octopus was a treat to watch! In my opinion, they couldn't have picked a better actor to play this part: For one, he looks the part. Almost to a tee. For another, he definitely has the acting chops to pull off the character. It's too bad the script didn't take full advantage of his acting ability, as I felt that his scenes were a little too abbreviated.

On the negative side, I feel that Sam Raimi lets a bit too much of his being a fan of the comic books show through. I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I said that the movie ends up being overly melodramatic. I won't describe the exact scene, as I want to keep this review spoiler-free, but look out for the scene in the subway with the by-standers. It's a doozy.

A very entertaining sequel, superior in general, to the original. I give this movie my highest recommendation.

I couldn't have said it better. :cool:

Oh yeah were you guys able to see Stan Lee in one of the scenes in the movie?

Guest cool_k@reem

spiderman2

The script reads very much like a sequel. There's some of the (what I know

consider to be) old fashioned beat-for-beat plot progression mirroring the

first movie in the beginning (starting with a voice over of Peter angsting

about MJ, etc). I honestly felt the script started a little slow, but it

builds nicely to a very strong climax. Having as good an actor as Alfred

Molina playing Ock (something that rather baffled me at first) now makes

sense, because our villain here is a man torn, confused, seduced even. He's

a pretty classic mad scientist - much about the story I would call

"classic", though I'm certain many in the audience, jaded fanboys that they

are, are going to whinge about lack of originality. Like the first film,

this is a straight portrayal of traditional Spider-Man all the way down the

line. There's one plot hole of a sort that I see, regarding the loss of

Peter's powers. I think the script means to put it down to a psychological

struggle and MacGuire may well be able to pull that off much better than it

comes across in the mere words - but in the script it struck me as a little

weak. All in all, by the end I felt that I could confidently predict this

will be another crowd-pleasing, straight-up superhero movie, and I know I'm

going to enjoy it. The FX appear to have been smoothed out considerably, the

script has broad appeal. It should satisfy Spidey fans and the general

audience both.

ins short....madrama itong sequel na ito :)