The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

I watched "In the Name of the King" last Friday.

I'd rate it about 3.5 to 4 :cool:

Truth is I never heard about it nor was I able to watch its advertisements if there were. I simply went to the moviehouse expecting to watch "I Am Legend" in its third or fourth (?) week. Unfortunately, it's not showing anymore. So I just settled for "In the Name of the King." It's poster teaser says it was inspired by "The Lord of the Rings" and was adopted from a video or pc (?) game. Besides, I knew the stars. Jason Statham, Kristanna Loken, Burt Reynolds, John Rhys-Davies, Ray Liotta, Leelee Sobieski and Clare Forlani. :wub:

The plot was relatively simple. But it was presented in such an entertaining way. It just so happened that I am a LOTR fan so in a way... I can't keep myself from comparing the two films which would not be in the INK's best interest. The movie's orc-like villain creatures were "ok" at best. The fight scenes are respectable and so are the special effects. I'm looking for more extras during battle scenes, what after watching the "siege of Minas Tirith" in LOTR: The Return the King, and I have to remind myself that this is not Peter Jackson's masterpiece. ;)

The money I sent watching the movie was a money well-spent. :)

Maiiyak talaga si Uwe Boll...the self-proclaimed "world's worst director"...sa review mo!!!

Anyways, your money would've been better spent seeing Cloverfield. Just my two cents' here...peace!

Maiiyak talaga si Uwe Boll...the self-proclaimed "world's worst director"...sa review mo!!!

Anyways, your money would've been better spent seeing Cloverfield. Just my two cents' here...peace!

agree... wayyyy better ang cloverfield than in the name of the king! ive watched it last fri then cloverfield last sat and then AVP 2 yesterday! sa cloverfield lng ako nag-enjoy ng husto... kakaibang experience! those who didnt want it then, you dont know the meaning of creativity!

I NEVER said that "In the Name of the King" is better than "Cloverfield" for the simple reason that haven't watched the latter yet but I'll do just that this week. ;) Actually, the "money" part, I meant that. The movie may have been wanting in many departments but I did enjoy it. That's what matters to me.

Maybe the 3.5-4 rating is too high? I don't know. It's my first time to post a comment in this thread. Anyway, if you would read my comment carefully, I'm not even praising the film. Like I said, epic films like this (and Beowulf, etc.) would always be compared (by me) to the LOTR trilogy which I would say is a VERY high standard to match.

I'll be watching Cloverfield and of course, I expect to be taken for a WILD ride. B)

Peace out!

THERE WILL BE BLOOD...starring Daniel Day Lewis, who is the only compelling reason I watched this movie after watching him win best actor in the Screen Actors Guild Award. It will not be a surprise if he again bags the Oscar. Powerful drama but suffers from poor ending just like No Country for Old Men. <_<

Rambo

It is the time of conetempo revivals, a lot of the iconic characters we loved from the 80's are being ressurected in the age of Dolby DTS, and cool CGI. SOmetimes it works, sometimes we thought that these characters would have been better off staying in retirement. It started with Schwarzzenger's T3, the whole movie contradicted a lot of things from T2 judgement day, but hey Ahnuld was enough to make the whole movie work (and who the hell would watch a terminator movie without him init? Duh!). It was crash and burn for sharon stones basic instict 2. It was rock and roll blast em up for Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4.0. Our hearts were captured again with the return of our favorite underdog Rocky Balboa, and now Stallone's latest vanity project is at it again and to think it almost pulled it off....... Almost!

Our favorite killing machine now lives a solitary life in thailand, making a living by capturing reptiles, fishing and taking people for a ride in his beaten out river boat. He is contracted by a group of missinoaries to take them up river to burma. He initially agrees but later on reluctantly takes the job. Of course after all of the warnings and the signs given to the missionaires they push forward. Ten days later after they go missing in Action our hero needs to hatch a rescue mission to save the missionaries, with the aid of a small group of hired mercenaries. And its all blood gore extravaganza from there.

Ok so we are not looking for a good plot. Dumb plot works for action movies. I mean where would die hard 4.0 be if it actually had an academy award winning script. Transformers was cartoonish but so what? we all enjoyed it. Less plot more action. Thats what movies like these are all about. Come to think of it, critics hated the 2nd and 3rd installments of the rambo series. Actually had stallone followed the actual ending in David Morell's book, there would not even be sequels. Because yes, Rambo dies in the book he was shot by Col. Trautman. But knowing stallone and his vanity projects like rocky, he aint gonna play rambo as the mass murdering psycho that he was on the book. He is going to be portrayed as the center of sympathy of the whole movie. And sure why not? Whatever stallone mumbles in his half paralyzed lips is sure to set tears in our eyes.

Ok seriously, the problem was that on this latest installment, stallone wanted us to care. He tried to develop a reason for our hero to exist (and maybe to use growth hormones). It does owrk for some parts of the movie, but the thing is, who cares about story or sympathy. We want to see our boy k*ll! k*ll! k*ll!. But not to worry there is plenty of killing here in this movie. Actually even if you combine the body counts of the first three movies it wont even match up to this one. As I read somewhere it is about 267 kills! Yeah!

It is melgibsony violent too. Meaning really really violent. Which is good since it makes the whole thing believable and realistic. The only problem is, it has more of the violence factor than the hard action factor. I guess stallone is showing age here. What can't be done with action is compensated with gore and blood. lots and lots of it. To give you an Idea he actually rips a guys throat off with his bare hands (But oh come on! can you use that machete instead or break his head so you wont drag the entire scene?)

The trademarks of rambo are gone too. I mean the head band is still there, but the cool survival knife is replaced by a cheap ass home made machete (which looks like scrap metal to me). The bow is still there, and it is used for like only 2 or three minutes in the movie. And sorry folks no more exploding arrow tips. No more apache helicopters, no more cool areal shots (Which I really enjoyed in the second and third films), and no more guerilla warfare asskickin action that made the rambo the complete essence of what a killing machine should be.

This is what I wanted to see. I mean it owuld have been cool to see stallone using the cannopy of the forest to comoufludge and stalk his preys one by one with a big knife and a kickass arrow. But we all got to show age.

The machine gun scene I admit was quite exhilirating (and violent). Where he is just shooting all of them motherf#&kers to hell while the 50 caliber rounds turn their flesh to ground meat. Oh did I mention he disembowels a guy here?

All and all, its a passable ultraviolent action movie. At least on that level it does capture the essence of what rambo is or should have been. Its one of those movies that you should never take your mother or girlfriend with. It is a genre film obviously and it has some stuff to satisfy those who grew up with this genre.

All in all given all its flaws, a worthy movie to watch still.

Lets all look forward to Harrison Fords reprisal of idiana jones.

B-

indeed! very nice concept of copying blairwitch's... ganda kaso nga lng medyo bitin kasi they didnt show kung pano namatay(kung mamatay nga ba) yung monster... or is it another tease na may part 2?

I read somewhere that they are looking at several options on how to make Part 2. There's this one really cool option of doing Part 2 based on one scene in the original movie where there's ANOTHER guy holding ANOTHER camera. that means Part 2 could be nearly the same as Part 1 but from another voew point, perhaps unraveling some answers along the way.

Pretty cool, but personally, im not yet ready for another case of SCS "shaky cam syndrome".

I watched it last night. Maganda yung concept pero disappointing yung ending. Masyado rin maiksi (1hr 20m?), parang minadali yung mga eksena. Marami pa sanang pwedeng idagdag para maestablish yung story...

Maganda naman effects in fairness.

Your right dude!

Maikli masyado ang movie. Ang daming hindi pinakita na pwede pang ipakita.

1. Did his Father live or die at the hospital???

2. How about the other Jumper???

3. What was his Mother's history being a Palladine???

Overall ok naman ang pelikula. But, in the end it's makes you want for more!

Your right dude!

Maikli masyado ang movie. Ang daming hindi pinakita na pwede pang ipakita.

1. Did his Father live or die at the hospital???

2. How about the other Jumper???

3. What was his Mother's history being a Palladine???

Overall ok naman ang pelikula. But, in the end it's makes you want for more!

maybe their planning to do a sequel, kaya sinadya nilang gawin bitin

JUNO, two thumbs up

Love it talaga...

Ang galing ng script - and to think the writer (Diablo Cody) is a blogger and erstwhile stripper.

Ellen Page is great - people keep underestimating her 'coz of her blink-and-miss-it role (as Kitty Pryde) in the X-Men film/s...but as Juno MacGuff, she carries her mature-beyond-her-years aura with soooo much conviction. I just hope her star brightens even further - Young Hollywood needs talent like her.

Aba...si Papa Bluth and Son, reunited!!! (another "Arrested Development" reff: J.K. Simmons - as Juno's dad, Mac - contemplates life as a "Pop-pop", a nod of the head to Jeffrey Tambor's char as Papa Bluth's own dad)

Great music...nakakatawa na nga...

Cool animation sa opening credits - parang "A Scanner Darkly"

Must see!

:thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1764/jumperpostermo9.jpg

JUMPER

Have you seen the cool special effects in their movie trailers? Everything was just pure "WoW!" and I started to wish I could JUMP inside the moviehouse as sson as this movie hit the local theaters. Seeing how I wasn't able to JUMP, I did the next best thing: buy a THX ticket on the first day of showing. Yeah! With my trusty popcorn in one hand and a cold softdrink in another, I was ready as can be for the ultimate JUMP.

Then, as soon as the movie started, I somehow JUMPED to the end. WTF?! It's finished already?!

The whole plot and storyline seemed to have a lot of potential: teleportation, an age-old conflict, teleportation, a smart alecky stranger, teleportation, an old crush, teleportation... you get the drift. But at the end of the movie, instead of leaving you astounded and boggled (which probably was their intention) you're simply left gasping for more, like a kid given half of a quarter of a candy instead of the whole lot. And I couldn't even figure out why the dumbass kept JUMPING and breaking all sorts of stuff but his apartment's always uber-hip and squeaky clean.

All in all, I think they could have done a better job here but after doing some research, it seems that they ran into all sorts of problems in filming, from injuries to manpower changes and yes, one person actually died during production. oh well. it could have been a lot better, the story could have been developed much, much further and the fight scenes could have been so much more. Nice effects, but that's all. Sayang.

Oh well. Let's all just wait for the game console edition then.

Amidst all the buzz, I finally watched Juno.....man.....this movie is beautiful.....and to think the only movies I considered beautiful were Forest Gump and Schindler's List......

Ellen Page hands down should win the Oscar for best actress.....she just nails the part.....I also liked Jennifer Garner's role in that movie.....Hope it wins Best Picture.....to remind us once more that it don't take so much to make an unforgettable movie. Juno is simple but it was so pure it had to touch your heart...man or woman....and it was beautiful......and the musical score.....its midway between nakakatawa because of the realism of the lyrics and downright powerful lalo na yung parte na nagwalkout si Juno tapos nasa may railway sya....plus yung duet nina Bleeker in the end....men...parang tumaas ang balahibo ko nun.

btw, what was the message written by Juno that was framed on the wall beside the baby's crib?

Oh well....it started with a chair....and it ended with a chair.

Edited by Waterbearer
Juno .. is really a good movie .. kahit pa sensitive yung topic nya. It is a subject in our community that is real kaya you will understand the movie and appreciate it. cool

wow si Dan nanood ng juno..

watch myst---- it was ok... ilike it.. it shows man's worst side.. the ending is deppressing

hay naku..

ill ask my gf to watch juno with mw

Inside (À l'intérieur)

Synopsis:

Four months after the tragic car accident that claimed the life of her husband, the very pregnant Sarah (Alysson Paradis) is relaxing alone in her suburban house on Christmas Eve, waiting for her mother to take her to the hospital where her doctor will induce labour. The silent night is broken by a knock on the door as a woman (Beatrice Dalle) calmly asks to use the phone. Immediately suspicious, Sarah refuses to let the stranger in and calls the police, who find no trace of the woman when they arrive. When they depart, Sarah locks the door, unwittingly trapping herself in a jealous maternal struggle for the survival of the new life within her belly. Sarah must fight back against a scissor-wielding madwoman hell-bent on taking one thing away from her...

Review:

It's one hell of a horror movie, very violent and bloody with a nice twist at the end. Highly recommended!

Rating: 5/5