The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Yes, it was critically acclaimed and a candidate for best picture in this year's Oscars... low budget film, uncomplicated plot but has a strong underlying message..cool and funny ending :)

Little Miss Sunshine has got to be one of the better movies to have come in a long long time.
FF2

huge letdown for me.

ending was a letdown

Dr. Doom an even bigger letdown (Doom working with the USA? come on!) he has his own high tech army for crying out loud!

Cheesy lines made me cringe more than a few times (LET'S GO FOR A SPIN! TAG! YOU'RE IT! OMFG!)

effects were great, the surfer looked awesome, and props to Doug Jones for giving life to the character, that guy can really act with his body (and I meant that in the most hetero way possible).

Galactus is a huge dust cloud in space!?

and SS just inhales him all in!?

come on!

2 more summer movies left for me, I hope die hard and transformers make it worth the wait.

Dr Doom needed the intelligence of Mr Fantastic to help him get Silver Surfer's Board.

Silevr Surfer absorbed Galactus and exploded from within. But we all know Galactus is still alive.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/231/444781479_7b1050fcdb.jpg

Tranformers

Casts:

Shia LaBeouf

Megan Fox

Synopsis:

- The story about a war of a very advanced robotic civilization, the Cybertron world. It's a war between the Autobots (led by Optimus Prime) and the Decepticons (led by Megatron) By the time their world was about to be annihilated by their war, the Autobots sent Allspasrk to space to evade from devastation. (Allspark, a.k.a the Cube, is the transformers' origin and afterlife, their wisdom, technology, and all their deceased 'soul' or spark is there... so that means, it has the ability to regenerate their world, or their dead comrades.. or create thier world in another planet.. how they do it? only heaven and the transformers world knows :D )

The cube finds its way a hospitable, and lovely planet.. w/c is of course, Earth!! :cool: their struggle for possesion of Allspark, is the cause of their extension of war in Earth. --- and the only source of information on its wherabouts is in the possession of a skinny teenager, Sam Witwicky.

...and the rest are spoilers :D

Comments:

I like the humor of the main earthling character, Sam. (this guy has potential) and the charm of his love interest, Mikaela.

I love the small Decepticon hacker, Frenzy! this robot is so :cool:

I like Bumblebee (a Autobot soldier assigned to guard Sam)

I like the humor of this movie.

but...

Some of the robots fighting scenes are too fast for our human eyes!

Rating:

8/10 :cool:

Edited by jake_speed

Transformers

"At the end of the day, one shall stand and one shall fall!"

These were the imortal words of Optimus prime in the 1986 transformers movie! I was god knows what grade then. Now I am 26, it feels good to be a teenager again!!! Hell yeah!!!!! I love summer movies, I love it so much I wana see it all over again.

So anyway, the the premise

The earth is cought in between a battle of two races of intergalactic robots who are able to transfrom in to various objects (i.e. cars, planes, phones, and stereos). The two races, the autobots lead by Optimus prime and the decepticons lead by Megatron, have batteled over an object know as "the cube", which is the source of life and power for the two robotic races. When their planet was destroyed by the battle, the cube accidentally finds its way to planet earth, and now, its a race against time and space for the two races to raclaim the cube. If it falls on the hands of the evil decepticons, they will use its power to turn the earths technology to destroy it, thereby rebuilding a new planet for their race. And the only thing now that stands in their way is a young boy who happens to possess artifact (eye glasses to be precise) that could lead to the exact location of the cube, and of course the autobots out to protect the boy and his planet. Then its ass kickin, ass kickin, ass kickin!!!

Now first of all, Im not expecting much from US critics on these one. In fact I hate movie critics! Who ever says that these movie sucks because of a poor story and acting should seriously kick himself hard in nuts!! Real hard.

I mean come on, how much story could you come up between a battle between two intergalactic robots, and how much actiing could you expect from a robot that can transfrom itself into a camaro? These is the season for kick ass popcorn movies, and we don't like to spend much time trying to digest the story too much before we can start enjoying the movie. This is the reason why spider-man 3 came as a disappointment, it had too much plot it became soap operaic. Although I must say that inspite of my low expectations on the story, it came quite a bit promising. It did not become too cheesy nor too cartoonish, and it did have some sense of maturity on it.

Well of course there are times that the story could actually drag the pacing of the movie, but most of the time its just good fun. The sidekicks were not annoying, the jokes were not too clicheic nor corny, and thanks god the one liners were not as pathetic as fantastic 4. But lets face it, these kind of plot is appreciated more in teenage genre movie, but mind you this is one of the rare movies that makes you wanna be a teenager again. The good part is that it does not make you feel silly or stupid while your going at it.

But then again, its not really about story or acting its about cool special effects and action. Its been hours already since I have seen it, and boy oh boy, I can't even find the right words to emphasize how cool they were. These movie actually took more than half a decade to develop and when it did come out in theaters, boy oh boy did it pay off. Forget the robotic fight scenes you saw in Ultraman, bioman, power rangers, this here is how you do it! creative-innovative-slam-bangin-eye-poppin-mind-blowin-robotic-action-sequences. And would you beleive it? they don't just walk punch kick, they actually do a lot of cool stunts!!!! one of the coolest..... no the coolest mechanical stunts I have seen done in any movie. I never thought that what animators can do fore keanu reaves and hugo weaving in the matrix, can also be done with Optimus prime and Megatron. The voice talents and the dialouges between these machines were actually pretty good enough to remember the characters they perform.

Man oh Man I am exstatic about this movie....... Damn! I better check my cab if there is an autobot emblem on the steering wheel. Paging Lily Monteverde, and Felipe Gozon and Wilma Galvamante of GMA-7, let me see you try to plagiarize that!!!! on second tought please please please don't try to spoil a good thing!

Director Joel Lamangan and Lily Monteverde once said, that if we do not patronize filipino movies, one day we might wake up that the industry might die and no more filipino movies will be shown in local theaters....... After enjoying summer movies like this my answer to that is ........... "no more local films? ok? and why the hell should this worry me?

Definetly not all movies are meant to compete for an oscar, most of the time it just aims to make a lot of money by giving serious entertainment. Boy oh boy! please make the sequel already please please please!!! paging Steven Spielberg and Micheal Bay!!! Move your asses and start making the sequel

A-

i wasn't really into Transformers when i was a kid because of it's poor contrast and color quality back in 90's. besides, i loved Voltez V then. hekhek!! if not for free movie premiere tickets as a reward for our good stats at work, i wouldnt have even bothered to see it. but i was really awed. action packed tlaga. my plan of sleeping at the cinema since we watched that 7:30 am after our 7pm to 4am shift, was not a success at all.

THERE WAS NEVER A DULL SCENE. i would bring my younger siblings to watch it. really cool.

Edited by _Honey_

I agree with the posts here about Trns4mers movie, action scenes is too fast for our eyes, they could have put some slo-mo scenes ala John Woo, for effect.. but otherwise, with the budget spent on this film, sulit na ang bayad mo..grabe ang special effects ..I agree with the posts here about Trns4mers movie, action scenes is too fast for our eyes, they could have put some slo-mo scenes ala John Woo, for effect.. but otherwise, with the budget spent on this film, sulit na ang bayad mo..grabe ang special effects ..

Transformers was very good

it's not Oscar material but it's definitely the best movie of the summer.

Great effects, lotsa action, some funny scenes (though John Turturro was more annoying than funny and I felt the need to stab him in the eye with a pencil, what a waste of a good actor there), hot chick, and of course Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime.

contrary to what people around here say I like the way the fight scenes were done. They were very organic and you can actually feel the intensity of the fight. It wasn't done with cheesy slo-mo ala Matrix or Face Off, it appeared like a real fight to the death, fast, furious and definitely intense. It was like actually being there. IMO it wouldn't have worked if they did it slower, it would only look like some 80s kung fu movie rip off, all choreographed and stupid.

Anyway this is a fun movie to watch if you want to forget 2.5 hours of your boring life.

I came in the theater a strapping 28 year old man, I came out a giggling 11 year old boy who wanted to fish out his toys and pretend he was part of the autobots.

DIE HARD 4.0

The bald guy still kicks ass!

The storyline is as simple as it can get but I watched this movie without any critical pretensions: I'm a Die Hard series fan (I've got all three in my library) and I just wanted to see another shoot-and-blow-em-up movie on THX. And I really wasn't a bit disappointed. The connection to the past 3 movies was quite unclear but it didn't really matter so long as the action kept rumbling and Willis' one-liners kept zapping. I mean, there's blood and chaos all over the place, who cares what the dialogue was or why the bummer of a villain went through all that trouble and forgot some basic points of war.

Doesn't matter to a fan like me. :lol:

transfomers..

hmmmm..effects are good

fight scenes sucks..too fast .......only fight scene i enjoy was star scream vs those other fighter plane that scene kicks ass.........too bad it only lasted o couple of min( hope the make robotech movie---that would rock)

hot chick...sizzling hot

all in all it was just an okay movie not really a spectacular movie though........i would rate it a 7/10

hope i could watch die hard this weekend...read the review and so far everybody is raving about this film....yipekaye motherf***er

DIE HARD 4.0 rocks!

Movie purists and so-called critics will most likely disagree with me as well as other movie fans with something to say about this film. I also wouldn't even put the movie in my 10 all-time best seen movies in my life but it was one heckuva ride for me. John McClane comes back, obviously a lot older and maybe even milder than his usual self but he's still got a lot of in-your-face, male-ego-driven one-liners that will draw lots of guffaws from any serious action movie fan. The action scenes were just too out-of-this-world at times but, hey, that's what im looking for, not national geographic.

Anyway, if you intend to watch it, the best way to enjoy it is to probably go the way i did:

- no expectations

- go with the flow

- don't overanalyze the plot or the script :lol:

- convince yourself that you're a fan and this is probably the last bruce willis Die Hard movie. probably.

- grab a bag of popcorns

- watch out for the sweet line---- "yippie ki yay, mothaf#&ka!"

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4184/brucewillisjustinlongzd3.jpg

Edited by kerrmit
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/231/444781479_7b1050fcdb.jpg

Tranformers

Casts:

Shia LaBeouf

Megan Fox

Synopsis:

- but...

Some of the robots fighting scenes are too fast for our human eyes!

Rating:

8/10 :cool:

Agree....let's hope the sequel would improve on this by doing more slomos on the battle scenes. Otherwise, everything looks perfect.

transformers really kicked ass!

action packed talaga, yeah, some of the fight scenes were too fast for the human eyes, but it really rocks, esp. the scene where starscream kicked all those F22's out of the air...

can't wait for the sequel... :cool:

Edited by heartbreak18
transformers really kicked ass!

action packed talaga, yeah, some of the fight scenes were too fast for the human eyes, but it really rocks, esp. the scene where starscream kicked all those F22's out of the air...

can't wait for the sequel... :cool:

IMO that scene will go down as one of most memorable fight scenes in movie history....considering it was a villian who kicked ass.......first time i clapped so hard inside a cinema.

Edited by Waterbearer

i loved the transformers! my only complain is the fast movement of the cameras on some fighting scene, medyo nakakahilo. but i watched it 2x. :-)

just watched die hard 4. astig na action scenes. tanda na ni bruce willis. hehehe. but the action scenes are really well sectioned sa whole movie.

Die Hard 4.0 was fun to watch but you really have to be patient with the plot holes and the outrageous (read: unrealistic and unnecessary action sequences) moments which is not the usual fare in the franchise...

The violence is toned down here. Still, if you have nothing to do, this film could entertain you...

Die Hard 4.0 was fun to watch but you really have to be patient with the plot holes and the outrageous (read: unrealistic and unnecessary action sequences) moments which is not the usual fare in the franchise...

The violence is toned down here. Still, if you have nothing to do, this film could entertain you...

I gave Transformers a 2 thumps up for entertainment value. It's amazing how computers can now create incredibly action sequence.

I've seen Rattatouille last night....It's a really super funny movie.....my brother and I were laughing so hard i almost failed to attend the last mass for the night.....what's more is that this film has a heart......I loved it and I can't wait to buy the DVD......This will go down as my no.2 top animated film of all time after Finding Nemo....The only downside is that it tends to make you believe that rodents are friends and the part where Remy and Linguini operate without Remy being seen is quite "not believable".....other than that.....This is a must-see movie.....Guaranteed to make you laugh.....I know i did.....,

This film is going to get an Oscar......and i don't know about you but Peter O' Toole's performance as the food critic Anton Ego may yet give him another nomination...only this time, he might just win....that scene where he tasted ratatouille has got to be one of the single best moments in animation history.

This is one movie i'm pretty sure i will remember all the main characters even after 10 to 20 years.

Rating: 4.95/5.00

PS: Read between the lines when watching this film, if you are an art student, you could easily detect paradoxes and perhaps write a lengthy term paper on it.....its that deep.

btw, the animation has got to be best one that has ever been made.

Edited by Waterbearer

Die Hard 4.0

Truth is, I have never really been two-sided about a movie review. A part of me thought that it was simply about time for John McClane to retire and pull a desk job, or die finally. I mean come on, he has been shot, thrown of a speeding car, drowned, and jumped of height after height. I mean logically you would expect the guy to be at least permanently injured after his several misadventures. But..... the greater part of me says Oh well! Welcome back Lt. John McClane, and boy can he still kick some ass!

The plot is very simple, predictable even. A good cop wrong place wrong time has to save an entire people from a group of terrorist who have deviced a flawless scheme except for one little crucial set-back........ the monkey in the wrench, the pebble in the shoe, the cop at the wrong place at the wrong time..... John McClane. This time his up against techno terrorist up to paralyze the entire technology of the US of A. A street cop with the help of a young hacker of course will pull out all the stops and go after the terrorist. No capes, no masks, no problem.

The plot is kept at a level of simplicity, and this is for a good reason. US critics will most likely disagree with me, but lets face it, a lot of movie classics out there were not even nominated for an oscar. And a lot of oscar winners are infact to this have already forgotten. Too much story to digest can get in the way of ones enjoyment, after all, all you need is to set a premise to set the stage for the action. It gets a little absurd though, even ridiculous, but on the other hand isn't that what makes action movies entertaining?

Bruce Willis, although showing his age already, but arguably can still play the foul-mouthed wise ass street cop, who can never be killed quite easy. He is like that energizer bunny, only that it has a gun, and keeps blowing up everything around him as he completes his objectives. Yes he gets thrown off a car, strangled, shot at, and even tortured, but keeps on going and going and going. Though its fun to watch, sometimes it just becomes a little ludicarous.

But its not acting nor story that brings us to watch this movie, its the action. And boy it does deliver, it can satisfy even the die-hardest die hard fans. Bruce willis, reinvents and reinvigorates his character, the same way arnold did in terminator 3...... well only a little better perhaps.

As far as entertainment values are concerned this mvie is rock and roll!

B+