Apple iPhone

im using an iphone 8gig here in the philippines.

what i love about it:

combines ipod/phone/camera/pocket pc/movies,video capable/with wifi and email capability

address book

conversant style text messages

what i hate about it:

wifi limitations

cannot forward messages

cannot send multiple messages to multiple contacts

size

headset(although it has built in mic in the headset sound quality not good)

rating 1 to 10 (10 highest)

about 8.

not overrated but could have been better.

wg

im using an iphone 8gig here in the philippines.

what i love about it:

combines ipod/phone/camera/pocket pc/movies,video capable/with wifi and email capability

address book

conversant style text messages

what i hate about it:

wifi limitations

cannot forward messages

cannot send multiple messages to multiple contacts

size

headset(although it has built in mic in the headset sound quality not good)

rating 1 to 10 (10 highest)

about 8.

not overrated but could have been better.

wg

what do you mean by wifi limitations? could you pls elaborate? thanks!

what do you mean by wifi limitations? could you pls elaborate? thanks!

unlike in other countries wifi is everywhere and free....unlike here as you probably know.

that's the limitation.

for the map/ you tube/weather/stocks functions one has to subscribe to EDGE to use these.

one draw back using the touchscreen for sms if one has big or stubby fingers/digits.

all in all, good gadget to have.

unlike in other countries wifi is everywhere and free....unlike here as you probably know.

that's the limitation.

for the map/ you tube/weather/stocks functions one has to subscribe to EDGE to use these.

one draw back using the touchscreen for sms if one has big or stubby fingers/digits.

I really don't understand your argument. What you're describing is an infrastructure issue rather than an iPhone one. And what phone does not use a data service in order to access the internet? What you said can be applied to just about any phone out there.

Edited by fry

that's the limitation.

ahhh! but like what fry said... the wifi limitations isn't the fault of the IPhone or its creators

it has more to do with us...

Following this morning's MacWorld, 1.1.3 - along with the new iTunes 7.6 is now available for download!

The new 1.1.3 firmware is pretty much consistent with what has already been leaked during the past few weeks, new features now include:

• Multiple SMS recipients
  • "Locate Me" feature in Google Maps
  • Lyrics display in iPod
  • Ability to store bookmarked links in the homescreen
  • Abilty to arrange icons in the homescreen.

The "locate me" feature actually works pretty damn well. I tried it out earlier and it was able to locate me to within a few hundred yards from my actual location.

This update is definitely worth losing your jailbreak for! All this new software is free for iPhone users, iPod Touch users meanwhile will have to pay $20. I'm not kidding! :P

Following this morning's MacWorld, 1.1.3 - along with the new iTunes 7.6 is now available for download!

The new 1.1.3 firmware is pretty much consistent with what has already been leaked during the past few weeks, new features now include:

• Multiple SMS recipients
  • "Locate Me" feature in Google Maps
  • Lyrics display in iPod
  • Ability to store bookmarked links in the homescreen
  • Abilty to arrange icons in the homescreen.

The "locate me" feature actually works pretty damn well. I tried it out earlier and it was able to locate me to within a few hundred yards from my actual location.

This update is definitely worth losing your jailbreak for! All this new software is free for iPhone users, iPod Touch users meanwhile will have to pay $20. I'm not kidding! :P

will that "locate me" feature work here in the Philippines?

I hope not... it's like having those globe tracker or smart friend finder on your cel

will that "locate me" feature work here in the Philippines?

I hope not... it's like having those globe tracker or smart friend finder on your cel

Fear not. There is no Google Maps coverage for the Philippines as far as I know. Something Orwellian such as that "friend tracker" will never be succesful in the US, Americans are paranoid enough as it is. Disney tried that with a "kid tracker" cellphone and even that didn't last very long.

The hacking community is still figuring out a way to jailbreak 1.1.3, unlocking it however is another story. A lot of people at howardforums are now crying because they've *accidentally* updated their phone! :lol: Now they've basically a $400 paperweight in their hands. It's a good thing I keep my phone legit by sticking with AT&T.

Never update a locked iPhone!

Edited by fry
Fear not. There is no Google Maps coverage for the Philippines as far as I know. Something Orwellian such as that "friend tracker" will never be succesful in the US, Americans are paranoid enough as it is. Disney tried that with a "kid tracker" cellphone and even that didn't last very long.

thank god! :P

The hacking community is still figuring out a way to jailbreak 1.1.3, unlocking it however is another story. A lot of people at howardforums are now crying because they've *accidentally* updated their phone! :lol: Now they've basically a $400 paperweight in their hands. It's a good thing I keep my phone legit by sticking with AT&T.

Never update a locked iPhone!

what do you mean unlocking it? you mean those Iphones that are locked to a specific carrier?

is there such a thing as an unlocked IPhone?

what about those fake iPones sold in Divisoria or greenhills, they look the same but has different o.s., costs half of the original iPhone. they say they are made in taiwan or China.

well the fact that they are fake... probably means that they are not bound by the same constraints as that of the original Iphone

if you're into apple, then you have to buy one right now. i don't think iphone's selling price would dropped fast as nokia or any other phones out there if ever you wish to dispose it or sell it. but lemme give you some things you might consider as well before you buy:

- iphone uses EDGE and WIFI technology for data and internet. nokia and other mobile phones uses, 3G, GPRS and WAP. 3G is the technology behind video calls, so if you're not into video calls, you can put iphone into consideration.

- you can not send or transfer photos from your iphone to your laptop and other mobile phones via bluetooth or IR. this is not supported, however you can directly email them via EDGE or wifi. iphone currently supports truncating bluetooth headsets only like jabra and the rest. it means you can not use your iphone to listen for music using your BT headset, earphones et.al. (though there is a workaround for this).

- if you are a texter and usually sends and forwards quotes from your friends, too bad you won't be able to use it on your iphone. it does not supports sms forwarding, multiple sms recipients and MMS as well... no exchanging of pictures from your boyfriend =) and no videos as well.

- the default install comes with a predictive keypad for your SMS (a default dictionary in nokia), which means it automatically predicts english words right before you finish typing them... (but don't worry, there is also a workaround for this).

- battery consumption would last a day if you barely uses ipod on your phone. normal battery usage would take 4 hours of talk time for a full charge. i've already tried using it 4 hours straight and it goes well enough naman...

so with this kind of crap, why would you still like to buy an iphone now? =)

- because iphone is iphone. iphone is apple and apple is mac. apple keeps a distinguish quality when it comes to their respective products. apple products does'nt drop off prices like other competitors do. they are known for quality and durability.

- since iphone is mac, and mac came from bsd-unix.. therefore iphone is unix. which means the core and based system is stable. i believe iphone is free from viruses though you must choose carefully what programs to install...

- with its large screen, it is easy for your thumb to surf and navigate through the internet, play music with the ipod or switch calls. the sleek design and eye candy makes the iphone the future of mobile phones.

if you're a tech savvy slave then go get one now. if you have a missing feature then stic to your sony ericsson or nokia. =)

kudos.

thank you for your help!!! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Telecompaper reports that Apple is in negotiations with AIS of Thailand and its parent company, Singtel of Singapore over iPhone distribution in those two countries. Talks seem to be at an impasse since revenue sharing is a new concept to Asian mobile phone carriers what with the cut-throat and sometimes predatory pricing employed in past years.

This means that the entry into the Philippines will be much delayed because Globe and Smart will still have to outbid each other for the right to fleece their subscribers.

It looks like I'll be keeping my Treo 680 for another year…

Telecompaper reports that Apple is in negotiations with AIS of Thailand and its parent company, Singtel of Singapore over iPhone distribution in those two countries. Talks seem to be at an impasse since revenue sharing is a new concept to Asian mobile phone carriers what with the cut-throat and sometimes predatory pricing employed in past years.

This means that the entry into the Philippines will be much delayed because Globe and Smart will still have to outbid each other for the right to fleece their subscribers.

It looks like I'll be keeping my Treo 680 for another year…

if singtel bags the distribution rights in Singapore then hopefully globe will have some sort of advantage

if singtel bags the distribution rights in Singapore then hopefully globe will have some sort of advantage

Although I know that Singtel has some equity in Globe, I fail to see the connection. After all, Singtel is not about to guarantee Apple's share of its revenue from Globe's possible iPhone business. There is no connectivity fit with Globe because it has placed its wireless mobile business on HSDPA technology which is certainly faster. But the iPhone is a GPRS/EDGE phone which Smart is using as the core of its wireless data business. Globe faces a bigger capex if it is to meet the needs of iPhone-based clientele and recovery of this investment will have to be factored in on top of the added expense of Apple's share of mobile service revenue which seems to be a standard feature of their mobile network deals.

Given the price competition, it stands to reason that Smart may be in a better footing to get the iPhone business if at all. But I would still not discount the possibility of both carriers telling Apple to just stuff it and they will just turn a blind eye to connecting rogue, gray market iPhones instead rather than give Apple a share of their revenue.

All the mobile phone carriers have to bo is to have a look at the traffic generated by users of high end Nokias, SEs, and Samsungs and they can tell if the iPhone will deliver a significant increment on that. Given the strong but not astounding reception it had in Europe, I doubt that this would amount to anything earthshaking unlike in the US.

Although I know that Singtel has some equity in Globe, I fail to see the connection. After all, Singtel is not about to guarantee Apple's share of its revenue from Globe's possible iPhone business. There is no connectivity fit with Globe because it has placed its wireless mobile business on HSDPA technology which is certainly faster. But the iPhone is a GPRS/EDGE phone which Smart is using as the core of its wireless data business. Globe faces a bigger capex if it is to meet the needs of iPhone-based clientele and recovery of this investment will have to be factored in on top of the added expense of Apple's share of mobile service revenue which seems to be a standard feature of their mobile network deals.

Given the price competition, it stands to reason that Smart may be in a better footing to get the iPhone business if at all. But I would still not discount the possibility of both carriers telling Apple to just stuff it and they will just turn a blind eye to connecting rogue, gray market iPhones instead rather than give Apple a share of their revenue.

All the mobile phone carriers have to bo is to have a look at the traffic generated by users of high end Nokias, SEs, and Samsungs and they can tell if the iPhone will deliver a significant increment on that. Given the strong but not astounding reception it had in Europe, I doubt that this would amount to anything earthshaking unlike in the US.

rumors have it that Globe might be the one to bag the IPhone here in the Philippines

I am not sure how accurate, but that just came from a friend who works in Globe

rumors have it that Globe might be the one to bag the IPhone here in the Philippines

I am not sure how accurate, but that just came from a friend who works in Globe

I heard something similar from my friend in Smart except that it is Smart that will be getting it. I don't care either way. Well, I do. Globe's customer support is the shits. I am both a Smart Infinity and Globe Platinum subscriber. And if I don't rattle my friends up in the Ayala Corp totem pole, Globe customer service reps would not jump. Smart's staff are always on the ball. I have my own account executive assigned to me who I can call almost anytime of the day if i want to be inconsiderate. But don't.

I heard something similar from my friend in Smart except that it is Smart that will be getting it. I don't care either way. Well, I do. Globe's customer support is the shits. I am both a Smart Infinity and Globe Platinum subscriber. And if I don't rattle my friends up in the Ayala Corp totem pole, Globe customer service reps would not jump. Smart's staff are always on the ball. I have my own account executive assigned to me who I can call almost anytime of the day if i want to be inconsiderate. But don't.

well that much I have to give you...

Smart just provides better service...

I especially like their 120k or 2yrs whichever comes first thing when it comes to phones

unlike with globe... you have to beg for one!

• 2 weeks later...

Apple to announce iPhone and iPod Touch price cuts?

Apple is planning to drop the prices of the iPhone and iPod line within the next month or two - perhaps at a rumoured late February announcement - a Mac enthusiast site has climed.

Website 9to5Mac received word that the cuts are on their way. The reduction is said to be $100 off the price of models in both the iPod Touch and iPhone lines. The 8GB iPod Touch will apparently be dropped from the line-up just as the 4GB version of the iPhone was before it.

If true, this means that the 16GB iPhone will be $399 - the current price for the 8GB version and the 32GB iPod Touch will come in at $399 too. Speculation suggests that the price drops are in order to make way for "pricing space" for the 3G iPhone, expected this year.

Speculation for this announcement dates back to October last year, when Steve Jobs promised, via a post on the Apple website, that the company would release a software development kit for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

"We plan to have an SDK in developers' hands in February," were the exact words as regards timescale, so rumours of an Apple event scheduled for late-February are not entirely surprising.

In addition to the price cuts and the expected software development kit, rumours abound that a Penryn-based MacBook Pros with multi-touch trackpad might also be announced.

greenhills pips already knows how to crack iphone... i think in greenhills they are selling orig iphone for 25 to 30k just guessing the price though. but you can use iphone here in phil....my friend is having a hard time using his iphone he bought his in states and open line it in greenhills but he said sana ng e90 or n95 nalang sya... hard to text and not that user friendly... pero sanayan lang din daw... at laging hang... sabi nga iphone is a basically mp3 player and mobile phone in one... but if you want a mp3 player and a phone buy it seperately to appreciate its worth...