Traffic Problem In Metro Manila (Merged Thread)

What is Tolentino's plan for Manila traffic, though?

I wish there was a system whereby we could report erring drivers easily. Where I live, there are two intersections where everyone complies with traffic rules because enforcers are stationed there. A couple of blocks away from those intersections, people get away with illegal turns and speeding. If everyone could report a violation, having proof of said violation with dashcam footage, and receive a small incentive for this I bet drivers would fall in line.

He said that he was once a chairman of the MMDA so he knows what rules to put in the emergency powers for traffic. We would just have to take his word for it. With regards to the system, the MMDA needs to recruit more personnel. The personnel on Edsa and other major thoroughfares just don't cut it.

He said that he was once a chairman of the MMDA so he knows what rules to put in the emergency powers for traffic. We would just have to take his word for it. With regards to the system, the MMDA needs to recruit more personnel. The personnel on Edsa and other major thoroughfares just don't cut it.

Yeah. Recruit us. ;)

That'd explain why people vote on loyalties versus platforms.

If he were to chair a committee maybe he should at least have some idea how the government might fix the problem. It's not like the DOTr has been free of issues.

Anyway, Tolentino did relaunch the Pasig River ferry system and he did stop oversize advertising beside roads; I'd say he has a vision in his head of how to approach this monster of a problem.

Poe was a disappointment even though she did seem to be asking the right questions. Whatever happened to the case against Abaya, I wonder.

Yes, I think he has a vision of how to approach the traffic problem. As for Poe, I have no idea why people would vote for someone who has not delivered on a key issue like traffic which makes our country lose billions daily. Abaya was indicted for graft by the Ombudsman.

In my opinion, traffic flow has improved during Duterte's term, new road infrastructures notwithstanding.

Edited by will robie

Yeah. Recruit us. ;)

Haha! Mapapaaway ka niyan, db. :P

Anyway, there are ways to assuage traffic. First is the flexitime in which people go to the office at different times which would ease traffic since there wouldn't be a rush hour in theory. Second is disciplined bus drivers but hell will have to freeze over for this to happen. But then again, emergency powers for traffic can make these bus drivers disciplined.

• Like (+1) 1

Most likely mapapaaway tayo. Well, ikaw for sure. :P

But I'm serious, if we could police ourselves it'd help with the personnel shortage problem. If we all know that dash cam footage showing wrongdoing could lead to a fine, we all might follow our rules better.

Flexitime sounds good, I know some schools implement this at least for drop-off schemes. Drivers of PUVs seem to get away with a lot of violations so, again, enforcement is a big chunk of the problem.

More than anything, though, an effective and clean mass transport system that'll make car owners forego the convenience of driving themselves everywhere is a leap forward. The P2P buses seem to be popular among people who would otherwise be in cars. Can't wait for the railway projects to get completed.

• Like (+1) 1

Most likely mapapaaway tayo. Well, ikaw for sure. :P

But I'm serious, if we could police ourselves it'd help with the personnel shortage problem. If we all know that dash cam footage showing wrongdoing could lead to a fine, we all might follow our rules better.

Flexitime sounds good, I know some schools implement this at least for drop-off schemes. Drivers of PUVs seem to get away with a lot of violations so, again, enforcement is a big chunk of the problem.

More than anything, though, an effective and clean mass transport system that'll make car owners forego the convenience of driving themselves everywhere is a leap forward. The P2P buses seem to be popular among people who would otherwise be in cars. Can't wait for the railway projects to get completed.

Haha! Yup, if I am a traffic enforcer, I will probably berate imbeciles who break traffic rules and I will be ruthless. Walang pakiusap, ticket agad, to make the traffic offender learn his lesson. Aside from the MRT-7, I am looking forward to the completion of the Skyway. It will decongest the metropolis but there still has to be discipline. Undisciplined drivers are the root cause of heavy traffic.
  • Like (+1) 1

I lived in Singapore for almost 10 years.

While I was there, I never felt the need to buy a car because the mass transportation system is very efficient.

We should make the same effort to develop an integrated mass transport system to that level Singapore has achieved.

Napapisip lang ako minsan, sa kabila ng growth ng economy, pinoy pride, build build build, wala pa din pinagbago transport system natin. Jeep, trike, sidecar, putek, naka smart phones na halos tayo, magkakaroon na ng gay marriage. Pero anak ng pating trike jeep pedicab pa din mga major transport system.

Sobrang bahala na system, if there's any lawmaker who has one iota of care to regular Pinoys, this should have been taken cared of. Kahit anong traffic law, etiquette, rule, system, automation natin kung ganto pa din na baba din ng baba, parada/terminal kung saan system wala pa din tayo maasahan. Wasak pa din flow ng traffic natin, lalo pa ngayon pasukan ng mga bata at rainy season. Dikdikan na naman to mga kapatid.

Anyway, ingats and pasensya mga paps.

Napapisip lang ako minsan, sa kabila ng growth ng economy, pinoy pride, build build build, wala pa din pinagbago transport system natin. Jeep, trike, sidecar, putek, naka smart phones na halos tayo, magkakaroon na ng gay marriage. Pero anak ng pating trike jeep pedicab pa din mga major transport system.

Sobrang bahala na system, if there's any lawmaker who has one iota of care to regular Pinoys, this should have been taken cared of. Kahit anong traffic law, etiquette, rule, system, automation natin kung ganto pa din na baba din ng baba, parada/terminal kung saan system wala pa din tayo maasahan. Wasak pa din flow ng traffic natin, lalo pa ngayon pasukan ng mga bata at rainy season. Dikdikan na naman to mga kapatid.

Anyway, ingats and pasensya mga paps.

Dapat na kasing i-phase out ang mga tricycle, WW II design jeepney, padyak etc... dahil napaka inefficient. Pero takot ang mga pulitiko natin na mabansagang "anti-poor".

Ang mga jeepney natin ay palitan ng electric jitneys tulad nito :

post-206207-0-44595200-1559273752_thumb.jpg

sana talaga matanggal na LAHAT ng illegal vendors sa kalsada. isipin mo pumasok kami sa juan luna street ng 11am. nakalabas kami ng soler, bandang 2pm. parang nag out of town trip kami

yung mga vendors nasa gitna na ng kalsada

tapos pag nasagi mo sila pa matapang.

pero feeling ko wala parin magagawa si isko. dahil sabi sa news. 6-8 million pesos ang collection ng mga protector ng mga vendors everyday. isipin mo, tax free yan. 8 million times 30 days. 240 million a month. marami kasi naghahati hati

yung mayor, mtpb , mmda , pnp , dps , yung muslim na protector, grabe ang sindikato diyan

sana talaga matanggal na LAHAT ng illegal vendors sa kalsada. isipin mo pumasok kami sa juan luna street ng 11am. nakalabas kami ng soler, bandang 2pm. parang nag out of town trip kami

yung nga naka motor hirap dumaan kotse pa hehehe

ilang beses na yan pinuntirya ni Nebrija... talagang malakas ang kapit sa Cityhall ewan ko na lng sa bagong Mayor ISko.

Lito Atienza was able to make some of the commercial areas of Manila like Avenida Rizal and Recto accessible to tourists and local shoppers.

Manila government should start with that. Palafox has a lot of redevelopment ideas that they can use.

Once the city government prove that there are more benefits to redevelopment and traffic improvement, they can move to clear the squatters and illegal vendors.

Yes political will is most important.

• 1 month later...

It seems as if only Isko is clearing the roads in his jurisdiction. To the 16 other MM mayors: “Hoy, sundin niyo yung directive ni Duterte!”

The City of Marikina has been doing it for at least 10 years already. Initiated by Bayani Fernando.

If you visit Marikina today, you'll appreciate how clean and orderly the city of Marikina is. Nakakatuwa.

Marikina should be the model for cleanliness and orderliness of all the other cities nationwide.

See this Youtube video: https://youtu.be/hR9HdSLb0wk

I've been there a couple of weeks ago and I can vouch that everything shown is the video is true even today.

Edited by camiar
  • 4 weeks later...

Sumobra traffic when the small affordable cars flooded the metro. Majority now can easily avail the car even those without own parking space in their house. Bakit hindi ba bigyan ng Age limit yung mga car na nag tratravel along edsa? That way yung mga older car ay madisttribute sa mga provinces. Like if your car model is 10 years of age, dapat bawal na sa edsa. Di lang puro dagdag ng car, goverment should strategize how to effectively control the volume.

We have the best MRT system that our limited budget can buy. But Abnoy's administration let it deteriorate for the past 6 years of their watch.

I don't agree with this, specially on MRT. If you rode the MRT vs LRT 2, you can see and feel the big difference in the design on which one is tinipid. Not limited but i think tinipid ang Design ng MRT, hopefully no corruption. LRT 1 is way older but its running better than MRT. My view why the MRT deteriorated vastly and fast is due to its design. Not suitable for volume of passengers.

Here are my observations;

LRT1 = two rail tracks. Separate for south bound and for northbound. So the rails are less subject to stress. Kung ako approver, this is the ideal one. Been riding this for more or less 5 years. Walking distance from my place.

LRT2 = though im not frequently riding this but this is the best among the three. Maybe its new but not at all, you can see the difference on how it is build and how they foresee the long term ahead. The design is similar to LRT 1 but much improved one.

MRT = haha, sa sobrang bilis lumalagpas pa sa riles. Pag sumakay kang rush hour dito, dito ka makakapag decide to have your own car. Few times using this and the current state during rush hour is too much for me to handle. Parang hindi sya entirely two rail track so it needs ng effective control sa time para di magkaaberya and more train rails maintenance as well. Unfair naman kung isisi sa past and current admin kung ang possible lapses pala were during the start of planning. Sana yung head ng mga department of government ay expert sa bawat field they govern at di puro abogado. And sa quality, duon ako sa build quality ng japan.

I don't agree with this, specially on MRT. If you rode the MRT vs LRT 2, you can see and feel the big difference in the design on which one is tinipid. Not limited but i think tinipid ang Design ng MRT, hopefully no corruption. LRT 1 is way older but its running better than MRT. My view why the MRT deteriorated vastly and fast is due to its design. Not suitable for volume of passengers.

Yung bagong bagong gawa pa lng nito nasakyan ko na year 2000 panahon ni ERAP.

mabilis wala kng mararamdaman rail track vibration.

it started to deteriorate panahon ni PNOY ng palitan yung Maintenance Provider.

yung MRT 3 ginawang gatasan ng mga tuta ni Pnoy at Mar Roxas.

Yung bagong bagong gawa pa lng nito nasakyan ko na year 2000 panahon ni ERAP.

mabilis wala kng mararamdaman rail track vibration.

it started to deteriorate panahon ni PNOY ng palitan yung Maintenance Provider.

yung MRT 3 ginawang gatasan ng mga tuta ni Pnoy at Mar Roxas.

Dapat talaga ganun yung takbo, smooth pag bagong bago. Saka nung time na yun iba pa state ng traffic at volume na gumagamit ng MRT. Big factor din yung pagbago ng maintenance provider. Pero iba talaga MRT compare sa LRT 1 and LRT 2.

Maganda rin siguro ibigay na yung emegency power only for traffic solution sa current president and let us see ano yung magiging improvement sa traffic. hinihintay ko din matapos yung common station at ma connect na yung MRT sa LRT 1.

This is my opinion based on what I saw. Once the Skyway Stage 3 is finished, traffic on Edsa will be reduced significantly. The rationale being that the cars coming from Muntinlupa, Paranaque, and Las Pinas would use the Skyway. When the short part of the Skyway was opened from Quirino to Buendia, traffic was reduced significantly along Osmena. If only a short part was opened and it reduced traffic along a major thoroughfare, what more Edsa?

Nevertheless, emergency powers from traffic should still be given to Duterte even if only for two years.

Edited by will robie