Home /private Gyms

I've done pullovers and floor presses with kettlebells, but I still prefer dumbbells for those exercises...

shoulder presses I definitely prefer kettlebells...

question/s answered?

Pullovers are more of a abdominal/core exercise in my opinion. That's so with kettlebells at least.

shoulder presses I definitely prefer kettlebells...

Indeed! When you do a so called shoulder press with a kettlebell ( regular press when done with a kettlebell ) it's the whole body that's working, especialy the torso due to the displaced center of mass of a kettlebell which will result in the body needing to recruit way more stabilisator muscles then if performed with a dumbell ( even a heavier dumbell ).

Therefore i still believe that kettlebell training can not be substituted with dumbells! ( it's like substituting toyo with patis ) And why would we still call it kettlebell training anyway then:) If you have no acces to kettlebells and you wanna get in a better shape , then yes of course you can use dumbells. But you will never get the same results then which you will get with kettlebells. Then again, if you have no access to kettlebell or dumbells. Bodyweight will be just fine then. And yes if you wanna attain maximal strength nothing beats barbells. But i tell you with kettlebells you can produce some pretty impressive strength. And with way less chance of injury! Barbells it will take a lot of learning, and spotting of a good coach ( which are rare ). Or they have the knowledge but the personality sucks, Or they have the personality, but not the knowledge. Then i'd rather go a play a game of basketball or socker with friends to get in a little better shape.

And you might develop some similar attributes when training with either dumbells or kettlebells, but those are only some. And with kettlebells you will attain those way faster, and attain way more functional attributes! You all have to give it a shot. Don't take my word for it, let the kettlebell do the talking for itself!

Again my opinion. Hope some more will share their experiences with kettlebells. Remember i'm not saying that kettlebells are the only tool to use. But it is a GREAT tool (if not the best ) to have at home!

Sorry guys. Seem to have quoted myself in the previous post.

• 3 weeks later...

Mga master, bago lang ako in terms of lifting weights. Actually i borrowed some dumbbells to my uncle. di na nya kasi ginagamit. di ko kasi mahiram ung olympic bar nya, sinasabitan nya ng hanger :glare:

I've been reading articles in stronglifts.com about the minimalist 5x5. This is the program:

Monday

Squat 5x5

floor press 5x5

power cleans 5x5

reverse crunch 3x12

Wednesday

Squat 5x5

overhead press 5x5

deadlifts 5x5

Prone Bridges 3x30sec

And then sa Friday, uuliti ko lang yung ginawa ko nung monday. Also, the program requires a barbell which i don't have. So what I do, i watch videos on youtube on how to do those exercises on a dumbbell. My question, is it OK to perform this 5x5 program with a use of a dumbbell?

Mga master, bago lang ako in terms of lifting weights. Actually i borrowed some dumbbells to my uncle. di na nya kasi ginagamit. di ko kasi mahiram ung olympic bar nya, sinasabitan nya ng hanger :glare:

I've been reading articles in stronglifts.com about the minimalist 5x5. This is the program:

Monday

Squat 5x5

floor press 5x5

power cleans 5x5

reverse crunch 3x12

Wednesday

Squat 5x5

overhead press 5x5

deadlifts 5x5

Prone Bridges 3x30sec

And then sa Friday, uuliti ko lang yung ginawa ko nung monday. Also, the program requires a barbell which i don't have. So what I do, i watch videos on youtube on how to do those exercises on a dumbbell. My question, is it OK to perform this 5x5 program with a use of a dumbbell?

They're to be performed with a barbell

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've passed by the doorway of some mall gyms and noticed that the aircon can get extremely cold.

Q: Would working-out be hampered by such a cold environment? Or is the downside just the longer warm-up time?

Are there pros/cons to working out in such a cold environment, say these mall gyms?

Better to work out at room temp, say a home/condo gym?

thanks much

Many questions have been indeed. Thank you for the detailed info and allowing me to add some on top of that!

Each apparatus have their specific advantages, dumbells are good for certain body parts while KBs have their specific strong points. If we want to take advantage of them, it won't be bad if you will have one of this in your gym..... Only budget would matter............

• 1 month later...

just got a pair of 12kg KB and doing some core training. need to lose 14kg of extra weight that I gained during my vacation. I also do push ups, pull ups and running. Tried training Muay Thai again this past week but my shoulders are soo f#&kin heavy! Nangangalay ako and cant even kick properly with my extra weight! Any other exercise or home gym equipments I need to get!?

Oh by the way anybody know where to buy puzzle/ grappling matts?! I checked at Chris Sports its Pesos 375 a pc. WTF! Wala pa mas cheaper dyan?! Thanks...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I started to build my home gym about a year ago. Currently I have a squat rack, multipurpose bench, olypic bar and plates, kettlebells. I like training at home walang hassle. I got all my equiptment sa ensayo. Very happy with the quality. MEdyo pricey lang pero i think worth it naman kung desisido ka talaga mag-workout.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine consists of:

* Bench Press (JetStream PSB-400): CHEST, BICEPS, SHOULDERS, LEGS, BACK

* Proteus HomeGym Studio 3 : BACK, BICEPS, TRICEPS, SHOULDERS, LEGS, ABS

* Perfect Pull-Pull Up : BACK, LOWER ABS

* Gym Ball : ABS (favorite ng 3yrs old na pamangkin ko)

* Sit Ups Bench (Body Sculpture) : ABS

* Elliptical Trainer (Proteus) : WARM UP "Jogging sa Roxas pag sunday for serious Cardio"

* Yoga Mat w/ankle weights : LOWER ABS (best Leg Raise I have done!!)

* BARBELL & DUMBBELLS syempre with weights: WHOLE BODY pati gluteus maximus :P

• 1 month later...

Mine consists of:

* Bench Press (JetStream PSB-400): CHEST, BICEPS, SHOULDERS, LEGS, BACK

* Proteus HomeGym Studio 3 : BACK, BICEPS, TRICEPS, SHOULDERS, LEGS, ABS

* Perfect Pull-Pull Up : BACK, LOWER ABS

* Gym Ball : ABS (favorite ng 3yrs old na pamangkin ko)

* Sit Ups Bench (Body Sculpture) : ABS

* Elliptical Trainer (Proteus) : WARM UP "Jogging sa Roxas pag sunday for serious Cardio"

* Yoga Mat w/ankle weights : LOWER ABS (best Leg Raise I have done!!)

* BARBELL & DUMBBELLS syempre with weights: WHOLE BODY pati gluteus maximus :P

My home gym consist of free weights and some machines. It took me more than a decade to complete them.

I started investing in free weights and as I progress I add machines to add variety in my workout as it get boring working out alone in my home gym sometimes. In all, I invested almost P150,000 for my home gym equipments.

Edited by Wyld
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...