Home /private Gyms

That has always been the problem. Showing up. I have jumper's knee and still playing. I have 4 teams again. Can't say no. But after the season ends I will have to choose to play for only 2 teams. I can't handle the wear and tear anymore. I need to get stronger and faster to perform better and choosing to play in 2 leagues only and getting more gym time is the key. The Bosconian Alumni League will end soon, so I'm down to 3 leagues. RGM league is in it's final stages as well. So I will have MCBL and TPCBL left. Not planning to join any other leagues anytime soon. Plus I would have to rehab my knee (Moro Lorenzo Sports Center). I also need to pay for a whole year again, since my membership will expire this month. I'll definitely let you know when I'm ready. This is a classic case of having a lot on one's plate.

Yes its about making sure you don't bite off more than you can chew...

perhaps that knee injury is also a sign of overtraining

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This maybe Off Topic, but would anyone here be interested in purchasing Pro Grade Kettlebells? I'm doing a survey. I might just get some and people might want to tag along. Send me a PM if interested. Thanks! :thumbsupsmiley:

Check out ebay.ph. They are offering pro grade kettlebells.

Check out ebay.ph. They are offering pro grade kettlebells.

Yeah, the guy selling those Kettlebells is a good friend of mine and we work for the same company. I recently bought an 8kg epoxy finish KB for my wife from him. His KB's are superior in quality, since they are all made in Finland from a friend's foundry. He even has pro grade kettlebells which allows you to do insane number of reps without compromising form and straining your hand too much. If any of you guys would want help in getting KB's from him, send me a PM. :thumbsupsmiley:

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a weight bench at trinoma where you can attached some plates on it that can be utilized for arm and leg excercise it also has a frame to hold a barbell and the bench can be inclined it cost about 6k and I think it is sturdy enough, the only thing is that it would not fit inside my room hehehe, the size is 6Lx4w (in feet). Also planning to scout those who sell pre owned equipments in our areas or gyms who have old plates.. a liitle steel brush, sand paper and metallic paint and it may be good enough for a less price.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
YOU have your opinion, I have mine... and based on what I've seen and done, kettlebell work is a good tool (not the best) to have... dumbbells also have their place as do kettlebells and barbells

You are entirely right. You have your opinion, and i have mine. Your re entirely right also when you say that barbells, dumbells have their place in a sound program. But the first question raised here was if dumbells can subsitute kettlebells. And i dont think they can due to the difference in shape. You can however do similar exercises ( not all ) but even then, they will not have the same intensity as with kettlebells. The question i asked was if they develop similar attributes. Again i could agree that yes ( not a big yes ) they will develop similar attributes untill a certain level. Kettlebells in my opinion develops way more attributes then dumbells, and in a way shorter time spam.

Could you please go a little bit more in detail about the similar attributes they develop?

Ps I appreciate your straight forwardness!:)

Looking forward to learn more from you and others.

But the first question raised here was if dumbells can subsitute kettlebells. And i dont think they can due to the difference in shape. You can however do similar exercises ( not all ) but even then, they will not have the same intensity as with kettlebells

Having a different center of gravity, many exercises that are done with kettlebells make them harder than their dumbbell version.

However, for some exercises such as chest press variants, dumbbells are a better choice... this is my personal preference

Could you please go a little bit more in detail about the similar attributes they develop?

1. A single kettlebell can do several exercises which already work your full body.... though you can also do this with a dumbbell, the effect isn't the same... refer to my post above...

2. for exercises like curls, chest presses, tricep extensions, dumbbells are a better tool... again my personal opinion

3. you want a home gym and have limited space, budget... this is where a kettlebell has an advantage over the dumbbell... I have full access to a gym yet I have a 16kg kettlebell in my home for times that I know I won't be able to workout in my gym.

4. if you want "functional training" exercises like windmills and turkish getups done with a kettlebell are good choices since they make you focus so much on balance and stability...

5. fatloss? conditioning? both tools are good.. though doing many of the exercises with a kettlebell for timed sets is a very challenging workout

take home points... both have their uses... though I will always prefer a barbell if I wanna develop my maximal strength...

explosive strength.. barbells and kettlebells...

vanity purposes... dumbbells and barbells... kettlebell work for abs

Having a different center of gravity, many exercises that are done with kettlebells make them harder than their dumbbell version.

However, for some exercises such as chest press variants, dumbbells are a better choice... this is my personal preference

1. A single kettlebell can do several exercises which already work your full body.... though you can also do this with a dumbbell, the effect isn't the same... refer to my post above...

2. for exercises like curls, chest presses, tricep extensions, dumbbells are a better tool... again my personal opinion

3. you want a home gym and have limited space, budget... this is where a kettlebell has an advantage over the dumbbell... I have full access to a gym yet I have a 16kg kettlebell in my home for times that I know I won't be able to workout in my gym.

4. if you want "functional training" exercises like windmills and turkish getups done with a kettlebell are good choices since they make you focus so much on balance and stability...

5. fatloss? conditioning? both tools are good.. though doing many of the exercises with a kettlebell for timed sets is a very challenging workout

take home points... both have their uses... though I will always prefer a barbell if I wanna develop my maximal strength...

explosive strength.. barbells and kettlebells...

vanity purposes... dumbbells and barbells... kettlebell work for abs

Will add to this soon. Still at work:)

Next time let's do some chest press variants with kettlebells:)

Will add to this soon. Still at work:)

Next time let's do some chest press variants with kettlebells:)

I've done pullovers and floor presses with kettlebells, but I still prefer dumbbells for those exercises...

shoulder presses I definitely prefer kettlebells...

question/s answered?

I've done pullovers and floor presses with kettlebells, but I still prefer dumbbells for those exercises...

Pullovers are more of a abdominal/core exercise in my opinion. That's so with kettlebells at least.

shoulder presses I definitely prefer kettlebells...

Indeed! When you do a so called shoulder press with a kettlebell ( regular press when done with a kettlebell ) it's the whole body that's working, especialy the torso due to the displaced center of mass of a kettlebell which will result in the body needing to recruit way more stabilisator muscles then if performed with a dumbell ( even a heavier dumbell ).

Therefore i still believe that kettlebell training can not be substituted with dumbells! ( it's like substituting toyo with patis ) And why would we still call it kettlebell training anyway then:) If you have no acces to kettlebells and you wanna get in a better shape , then yes of course you can use dumbells. But you will never get the same results then which you will get with kettlebells. Then again, if you have no access to kettlebell or dumbells. Bodyweight will be just fine then. And yes if you wanna attain maximal strength nothing beats barbells. But i tell you with kettlebells you can produce some pretty impressive strength. And with way less chance of injury! Barbells it will take a lot of learning, and spotting of a good coach ( which are rare ). Or they have the knowledge but the personality sucks, Or they have the personality, but not the knowledge. Then i'd rather go a play a game of basketball or socker with friends to get in a little better shape.

And you might develop some similar attributes when training with either dumbells or kettlebells, but those are only some. And with kettlebells you will attain those way faster, and attain way more functional attributes! You all have to give it a shot. Don't take my word for it, let the kettlebell do the talking for itself!

Again my opinion. Hope some more will share their experiences with kettlebells. Remember i'm not saying that kettlebells are the only tool to use. But it is a GREAT tool (if not the best ) to have at home!

question/s answered?

Many questions have been indeed. Thank you for the detailed info and allowing me to add some on top of that!