The Football Thread

Labuyo

i wonder what kind of match the chelsea-liverpool tie will be...will it be like a premiership match na takbuhan ng takbuhan? or like a european match na more technical but slower?

it seems liverpool is more adept sa european style. after all, they have a lot of spanish players (and a spanish manager!) and they have made it all the way to the semis...

chelsea look like they're at home with either style...

new fifa world ranking (not that it matters haha)

1. brazil

2. czech republic

3. argentina

4. france

5. netherlands

6. england

7. spain

8. mexico

9. portugal

10. (tie) italy and usa

goes to show u that there's something wrong with fifa's point system. germany and euro champs greece are not even in the top 10! what about sweden, croatia, and turkey? they're surely better teams than usa??

Chelsea vs Arsenal 0-0

Very disappointing. Arsenal once again sprinted in the first half but lost wind. Pires hit the bar. Had another chance but blew it. Chelsea was more technical but Drogba just cant finish.

Again I say Chelsea's got a very good defense. Arsenal in the 2nd half cant penetrate the midfielders and the back 3 .

Edited by sonborj
goes to show u that there's something wrong with fifa's point system. germany and euro champs greece are not even in the top 10! what about sweden, croatia, and turkey? they're surely better teams than usa??

i have absolutely no idea how fifa does its point system but i would guess it would have to be related to on-going tournments and world cup qualifiers....germany does not need to qualify because they are hosts so are not competing in any "legitimate" tourneys....brazil and argentina occupy the top two spots in south america so they belong in the top 10...england and other european countries may be faring well in the qualifiers...i know greece is not....as for the us...they share the top places in their region together with mexico...maybe this is why teams in europe who may be better than the us is not in the list because of the stiff competition in their respective areas

rumor mill:

word on the campfire is that real madrid will have a galactico clearout this summer. apart from zidane and ronaldo, everyone else is for sale (raul, beckham, roberto carlos, figo, owen and even casillas)...

casillas has confirmed man u's interest in him...he is also near the end of his contract with real

raul has publicly said that he is willing to be sacrificed for the future of real

beckham was quoted a couple of months ago that he "doesn't know what to do anymore" after some paparazzi in madrid chased his two sons around school and that this type of incident never happend to him or his family in england

regarding the philippine's dismal ranking...

the main reason is that our country is so infatuated with basketball... the other sports are being neglected...

just look at the sports headlines - always the build up of a men's national basketball team... heck... it also confusing... the pba is building up a national team... while there is "another" national team... rp-cebuana luhillier (not sure if the spelling is correct)... that was recently beaten by anjo yllana's parañaque jets in the nbl championship...

in the recent tiger cup stint... the philippine soccer team just had their first win in a decade... if only the philippine sports official would stop from making their position as a milking cow to get rich... and concentrate in developing philippine sports...

also... im sure there are players in europe and around asia who are half-filipinos... why not offer them the opportunity to represent the country as a member of the philippine soccer team... i'm sure they will not refuse the offer...

UEFA wants more homegrown players palying in their hometowns. This will hit Arsenal pretty bad, because majority yata ng players ng Arsenal ay hindi British. Van Nisterooy is Dutch right?

For me, mas maganda iyon, para may loyalty ka sa hometown mo, hindi ka na pupunta kung saan may pera.

yeah, man utd's van nistelrooy is dutch. i agree with uefa on this ruling. its funny how the top teams in england have hardly any english players!

examples of the usual starting 11s of "english" teams:

man utd

keeper : howard (usa) or carroll (n ireland)

defender : ferdinand (england), g neville (england), silvestre (france), o'shea (ireland)

mid : scholes (england), keane (ireland), ronaldo (portugal), giggs (wales)

forward : rooney (england), van nistelrooy (holland)

* 4 out of 11 are english

chelsea

keeper : cech (czech republic)

defender : terry (england), ferreira (portugal), carvalho (portugal), gallas (france)

mid : lampard (england), j cole (england), makelele (france), duff (ireland)

forward : drogba (ivory coast), gudjohnsen (iceland)

* 3 out of 11 are english

arsenal

keeper : lehmann (germany)

defender : a cole (england), s campbell (england), toure (ivory coast), lauren (cameroon)

mid : viera (france), pires (france), silva (brazil), ljungberg (sweden)

forward : henry (france), bergkamp (holland)

*2 out of 11 are english

liverpool

keeper : dudek (poland)

defender : josemi (spain), hyppia (finland), riise (norway), pellegrino (argentina)

mid : gerrard (england), biscan (croatia), garcia (spain), xabi (spain)

forward : baros (czech republic), morientes (spain)

*1 out of 11 is english

so i'm glad we're going back to the pre-bosman days (before the eu ruling, i think only 4 non-english players were allowed to be in the squad). anyways, i think the ruling is only that 8 "home-grown" players out of 25 must be included in the squad. so we will still have "cosmopolitan" teams...

one of the reasons why players are not playing in their counrtries...

money...

so they choose to play for richer leagues like the epl...

then compare the competition in other leagues... for example... if i am jerzy dudek... with pundits and managers considering me as one of the world's best goalkeepers... i wouldn't choose to play for a team in poland... instead i would choose to play for a team in england or spain where i can earn more money... play with more competitive players... and have more exposure...

Edited by the_electrified_one