Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

Haha who wouldn't want to adopt a 1/32 Super Hornet? Lil's still had a couple of the 1/32 Trump Tomcats but at almost P5K per model, I think I'll just build my old Revell 1/32 'cat instead. I finally finished off the Bradley this weekend but I couldn't flat coat it, it still has this semi-gloss shine. My first attempt was to mix Tamiya Flat Base with Wipe and Shine, it still came out glossy. Next I tried spraying it with a heavily diluted Tamiya Buff with Gunze Mr. Thinner. It's still shiny. Damn.

If you can get a hold of Humbrol's Matte Coat from JMN, you've got your problem solved but if not try these two possibilities... it worked for me:

1. Get some Boysen Dead Flat Varnish. Dilute it 1:4 (one part Dead Flat to 4 parts Lacquer thinner) then try spraying it over a trial surface. It should be quite flat.

2. If it still doesn't want to work you may want to get Grumbacher's Matte Spray if you can find one. It's quite flat also. Only problem is it's expensive.

Jun

Haha who wouldn't want to adopt a 1/32 Super Hornet? Lil's still had a couple of the 1/32 Trump Tomcats but at almost P5K per model, I think I'll just build my old Revell 1/32 'cat instead. I finally finished off the Bradley this weekend but I couldn't flat coat it, it still has this semi-gloss shine. My first attempt was to mix Tamiya Flat Base with Wipe and Shine, it still came out glossy. Next I tried spraying it with a heavily diluted Tamiya Buff with Gunze Mr. Thinner. It's still shiny. Damn.

doc for flat coat i spray gunze acrylic clear gloss all over. then gunze acrylic clear flat.

I had several bad experiences with the spray can of Gunze flat. When I tested it on a paint drone it came out fine, but a little later on my model it started to frost, just like spraying talcum powder. Admittedly, I hadn't sprayed the Gunze clear gloss first, but is that the secret?

If you can get a hold of Humbrol's Matte Coat from JMN, you've got your problem solved but if not try these two possibilities... it worked for me:

1. Get some Boysen Dead Flat Varnish. Dilute it 1:4 (one part Dead Flat to 4 parts Lacquer thinner) then try spraying it over a trial surface. It should be quite flat.

2. If it still doesn't want to work you may want to get Grumbacher's Matte Spray if you can find one. It's quite flat also. Only problem is it's expensive.

Jun

I have a can of Grumbacher's Matte Spray, but I think I passed on it because it still came out as a satin finish. Have to find that can again but I think I remember its recommended use was to flat coat photographs. I also have Humbrol's Matte Coat but I have no idea of the proportions to mix it and what to thin it with. Can you help me out there? Finally, I'll look for Boysen Dead Flat Varnish this afternoon, that sounds like a more economical alternative than the others. I really wished Wipe and Shine + Tamiya Flat Base had worked. Hmmm I could try a 50/50 mix as soon as I get a new bottle of Tamiya Flat Base.

hi doc! i haven't tried gunze's clear flat from the spray can. i use the ones from the bottle. H20 for clear flat and H30 for Clear Gloss. i just add more thinner when i see frost after spraying. you might want to decant the clear flat from the can and add thinner before spraying and gauge the results. oh and i just use clear gloss after applying all decals so when it's time to spray clear flat, the decals blend in like it's actually been painted hehe

Okay, first things first... Gunze is very good at "flattening" a finish but only use Gunze paint thinner for it or weird things will happen.

Note that what Bugoy used was gunze on gunze. So there would be no problem. The frosting you exoerienced I would surmise came from the application of the flat finish over a not-so-dry Tamiya acrylic finish. I always allow the top finish a day to dry before even putting on the top coat.

Now if you are going to use the Dead Flat of Boysen on an airplane, I would advise against it. Dead Flat tends to be a little rough looking so it's not too nice for planes. Armor, on the other hand is more "forgiving" in this area...

Jun

I had several bad experiences with the spray can of Gunze flat. When I tested it on a paint drone it came out fine, but a little later on my model it started to frost, just like spraying talcum powder. Admittedly, I hadn't sprayed the Gunze clear gloss first, but is that the secret?

I have a can of Grumbacher's Matte Spray, but I think I passed on it because it still came out as a satin finish. Have to find that can again but I think I remember its recommended use was to flat coat photographs. I also have Humbrol's Matte Coat but I have no idea of the proportions to mix it and what to thin it with. Can you help me out there? Finally, I'll look for Boysen Dead Flat Varnish this afternoon, that sounds like a more economical alternative than the others. I really wished Wipe and Shine + Tamiya Flat Base had worked. Hmmm I could try a 50/50 mix as soon as I get a new bottle of Tamiya Flat Base.

Edited by smvillalon

hi doc! i haven't tried gunze's clear flat from the spray can. i use the ones from the bottle. H20 for clear flat and H30 for Clear Gloss. i just add more thinner when i see frost after spraying. you might want to decant the clear flat from the can and add thinner before spraying and gauge the results. oh and i just use clear gloss after applying all decals so when it's time to spray clear flat, the decals blend in like it's actually been painted hehe

Okay sir, that's worth a try, thanks!

Okay, first things first... Gunze is very good at "flattening" a finish but only use Gunze paint thinner for it or weird things will happen.

Note that what Bugoy used was gunze on gunze. So there would be no problem. The frosting you exoerienced I would surmise came from the application of the flat finish over a not-so-dry Tamiya acrylic finish. I always allow the top finish a day to dry before even putting on the top coat.

Now if you are going to use the Dead Flat of Boysen on an airplane, I would advise against it. Dead Flat tends to be a little rough looking so it's not too nice for planes. Armor, on the other hand is more "forgiving" in this area...

Jun

I asked one of my friends what he used to thin Humbrol. He said ordinary paint thinner or turpentine. Anyway, I'll try the Boysen varnish, it's for the Bradley anyway. And I'll test in on a paint target first, just to make sure.

That will last you about 10 years... hehehe

Maybe more than 10 years... I have Tamiya Acrylics in those big bottles that are 15 years old and still usable.

good thing you guys mentioned hardware alternatives. i have yet to buy urethane clear and hardener for cars and bikes. i recently read an article on Scale Auto about it. and also a build tutorial from PLAMO where the guy used it on a Ducati kit hehehe

I read somewhere that most hardware paints are too "hot" for the styrene plastic. They suggest that a primer be used first. On another note, my friend texted me that there is a completely built kit of the Academy 1/32 IDF F-16 at Lil's Megamall. Damn I want one of those.

This is true... make it a habit to prime with plastic primer. It makes painting easier.

Jun

Maybe more than 10 years... I have Tamiya Acrylics in those big bottles that are 15 years old and still usable.

I read somewhere that most hardware paints are too "hot" for the styrene plastic. They suggest that a primer be used first. On another note, my friend texted me that there is a completely built kit of the Academy 1/32 IDF F-16 at Lil's Megamall. Damn I want one of those.

forgot to mention the urethane clear will be for the top coat. then wetsand from 2000 to 12000 grit. buddies Nick and Ricky did this with their bike kits and Nicks Kampfer Gundam kit. is that a new kit from Academy?

Yes the Academy 1/32 IDF F-16 is new. I wonder how much it costs? Probably a month's pay.

http://www.academy.co.kr/eng/img/scroll_banner_sufa.jpg

Edited by Dr_PepPeR

i read somewhere it might go for $250. but i'm hoping we can get it for the same price as Trumps tomcat and hornet or even lower hehe

As long as it is not over P5K I will consider getting one. I'm having second thoughts about the Trump 1/32 Hornet. Anyway now that the weekend is here, I'm going to flatcoat to hell and back.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1/100 RGM 79 GM sniper

Unpainted

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/GmSniper2.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/GmSniper1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/GmSniper3.jpg

Painted

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/GMsniper5.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/GMsniper6.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/GMsniper3-1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/GMsniper2-1.jpg