Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

Honestly, nope... Most of his figures are in Tetuan, Cubao and Greenhills. Natalie of JMN has some but not much - prices are a little lower but not by much.

Figures are a little expensive kasi. Look at the prices when you buy them directly from Japan! Hihimatayin ka!

Jun

Oh. Okay, back to my 1/35 figures again. Sigh.

There are several locations I know..

DEOVIR QUEZON BLVD.

Address: 778 Quezon Boulevard Quiapo Manila, Philippines

Telephone No.: 734-01-06; 734-01-08

DEOVIR CM RECTO

Address: Stall 27 Manila Cartimar Bldg Shopping Center, C.M. Recto, Manila, Philippines

Telephone No.: 733-94-55; Telefax No.: 733-98-46

DEOVIR SM MANILA

Address: 5th Floor SM City Manila, Brgy 659 Zone 71, Concepcion St., cor. Arroceros and SAn Marcelino Sts., Ermita Manila Philippines

Telephone No.: 522-36-71

DEOVIR SM NORTH EDSA

Address: 3F SM North EDSA, Quezon City, Philippines

Telephone No.: 926-97-99

I've been to two only (Quezon Blvd. and SM Manila) but their website says four. I'll check out the one in SM North EDSA later.

Jun

san po location ng deovir? tnx for the help..need those brushes for my hw diecast mod...

Manilacon 2009

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/Manilacon/IMG_0101.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/Manilacon/IMG_0102.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/Manilacon/IMG_0103.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/Manilacon/IMG_0104.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/Manilacon/IMG_0105.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/Manilacon/IMG_0106.jpg

Yup... Bankee had a Make and Take and the kids went wild! [mind you, there were "kids" (yung bang 7 to 14 years - past their 21st birthdays) also].

But nevertheless it just shows to everyone that modeling ain't just for the kids... neither are they for the "over the hill" (retired people just passing their time) kind of guys. It was a lot of fun.

You should have gone there... There were guests from the south - Alabang and Laguna to be exact! Even the guys from IPMS South and Motor Modelers were there to enter their kits for the competition. They had really nice kits. There was even a car that really played music and had a video screen (at 1:24 scale!)...

Jun

It's so nice to see the interest generated among the kids at exhibits like this. Are the tables for make and takes?
Yup... Bankee had a Make and Take and the kids went wild! [mind you, there were "kids" (yung bang 7 to 14 years - past their 21st birthdays) also].

But nevertheless it just shows to everyone that modeling ain't just for the kids... neither are they for the "over the hill" (retired people just passing their time) kind of guys. It was a lot of fun.

You should have gone there... There were guests from the south - Alabang and Laguna to be exact! Even the guys from IPMS South and Motor Modelers were there to enter their kits for the competition. They had really nice kits. There was even a car that really played music and had a video screen (at 1:24 scale!)...

Jun

like lola here, she had a lot of fun with lolo guiding her (not in photo)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/reyanipan/gundamlola.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, about the price of a kit (depending on what you want to buy), a cutter blade or someone's nipper, paint (modeling paint or the common hardware variety) and glue (modeling glue or the common hardware variety).

Malabo? Yup. It's like asking us how high is the sky or how deep is the ocean.

Honestly, the price of a starter kit is dependent on several things:

1. The price of the kit you'll buy (about a 150 pesos for a Hobby Boss kit at yung malaki - about 15000 for the Millenium Falcon)

2. The cost of tools (as low as 100 pesos for generic tools to 18000 for the more expensive and specific kinds)

3. The price of paint (depending on how many colors yor model needs - a Kilo-class submarine kit would have about 6 colors but a WW2 plane would have about 12 to 24 colors). Others would like to save by mixing their own (we learned how to mix in Art class in school) but others would prefer buying pre-mixed colors of Tamiya or Gunze or other model paint.

You may wish to get this book from Kalmbach Books ($2.95 only)... Here's the site:

http://www.kalmbachstore.com/fspdf004.html

Or if you want, you can go to either the IPMS USA, IPMS Stockholm, IPMS BAC and/or IPMS Manila websites and forums to get more information.

Now if you want to start the discussion here, we may want to classify it in to more detail such as:

1. Safety in Modeling (I always love to begin with this)

2. Choosing a kit for you

3. Planning to build

4. Basic Cutting and shaping tools

5. The Basics of Painting

6. Basic Aircraft Modeling

7. Basic Ship Modeling

8. Basic Armor Modeling

9. Basic Figure modeling

... and so on and so forth. I hate to sound like this but let's face it, the topics are so diverse and broad that it would take more than a single thread to cover it - even if we are talking of basics

Jun

how much is a starter kit for a newbie in scaling?

I agree that it is a hard question to answer because it is simply too broad. How about if I do it this way?

1. Toenail Clippers or Small Electric Pliers with Cutter - free, if lying around

2. Academy 1/72 airplane kit - about P250

3. 400 or 600 grit sandpaper - about P10

4. A few bottles of Tamiya Acrylic Paint - about P360?

5. A good quality round paintbrush - about P100

6. Masking Tape - free, if lying around

7. The satisfaction of making a scale airplane kit and hand flying it around your room while making engine and machinegun sounds - priceless.

If you don't plan on painting the kit, you can skip numbers 4 - 6 and it comes out even cheaper.

Hmmm ... I just love the memory of those long forgotten things of yesteryear -

Duco Cement - to be replaced by tubes of Revell Plastic Cement

Master's Enamel - later upgraded to Pactra Enamels (Pactra/Tamiya Enamels), Testor's, even Humbrol

from that model shop in Bricktown

Well, enough of the past.

May I just offer this small observation with regard to basic tools for a beginner to the hobby. Though this may be a little pricey, the Tamiya basic tool kit (it comes in a small plastic case) is worth its price, and may likewise serve as a sort of pressure to continue with the hobby para naman hindi sayang yung nabili.

I'm a hoarder by nature so I bought my second set as a spare more than 20 years after and while my first set is functioning well pa rin. Of course I have other tools to use (i suffer from a malady of not only collecting kits, paints, and now tools) such as drill bits, needle files scribers, scalpels knives, sprue cutters, sanding and polishing implements etc etc etc.

And I must confess, my builds SUCK.

But an important lesson that I have learnes is that, though I may be envious of the great builds by other hobbyists, the building of any kit is my creative process - and this makes me happy.

So ok na iyon. And remember, in this day and age, in our remote country beset by multiple problems and concerns, the mere fact that we are able to indulge ourselves in a rather capital intensive hobby brings us way ahead of many people, so it is a blessing that we do this.

BTW, anybody here have any experience with applying "lozenge decals" for WWI German Planes? I'm trying to build a Zepellin Staaken.

i agree. building a kit gives us a sense of fullfilment. i got my Tamiya Basic toolkit last 2005. still serves me well to this day. i was forced to buy another sprue cutter since i could not recall where i placed the original cutter that came with the kit. happy building!

Hmmm ... I just love the memory of those long forgotten things of yesteryear -

Duco Cement - to be replaced by tubes of Revell Plastic Cement

Master's Enamel - later upgraded to Pactra Enamels (Pactra/Tamiya Enamels), Testor's, even Humbrol

from that model shop in Bricktown

Well, enough of the past.

May I just offer this small observation with regard to basic tools for a beginner to the hobby. Though this may be a little pricey, the Tamiya basic tool kit (it comes in a small plastic case) is worth its price, and may likewise serve as a sort of pressure to continue with the hobby para naman hindi sayang yung nabili.

I'm a hoarder by nature so I bought my second set as a spare more than 20 years after and while my first set is functioning well pa rin. Of course I have other tools to use (i suffer from a malady of not only collecting kits, paints, and now tools) such as drill bits, needle files scribers, scalpels knives, sprue cutters, sanding and polishing implements etc etc etc.

And I must confess, my builds SUCK.

But an important lesson that I have learnes is that, though I may be envious of the great builds by other hobbyists, the building of any kit is my creative process - and this makes me happy.

So ok na iyon. And remember, in this day and age, in our remote country beset by multiple problems and concerns, the mere fact that we are able to indulge ourselves in a rather capital intensive hobby brings us way ahead of many people, so it is a blessing that we do this.

BTW, anybody here have any experience with applying "lozenge decals" for WWI German Planes? I'm trying to build a Zepellin Staaken.

i agree. building a kit gives us a sense of fullfilment. i got my Tamiya Basic toolkit last 2005. still serves me well to this day. i was forced to buy another sprue cutter since i could not recall where i placed the original cutter that came with the kit. happy building!

I got my set in Japan in 1999. But changed the sprue cutter to a better model. I also have a Tamiya cutter. It's exactly the same as an OLFA cutter, only with a black handle instead of yellow. Very good and reliable!

You can actually put together your own set:

Sprue cutter (similar to a small wire cutter)

Small philips screwdriver

Pin vise

File

Add a cutter (small box cutter will do)

Fine sandpaper (400 - 1000 grit)

Small pair of scissors

Box of rubber bands

good quality masking tape

Thin liquid cement

Superglue

white glue (elmers glue)

If you can find a clip vise, it will help a lot.

If you're older, you'll need a magnifying lens or reading glasses (to see small details, of course!)

If you paint, you'll need to put together a separate painting kit.

dugtungan na lang natin yung thread ha?

See below:

You can actually put together your own set:

Sprue cutter (similar to a small wire cutter) (REMEMBER TO BUY ONE THAT IS USED IN ELECTRONICS AND HAS A FLAT SIDE OTHERWISE IT'S USELESS - THE TERM THEY UNDERSTAND IN DEECO AND OTHER ELECTRONIC SHOPS IN RAON IS "FLUSH CUTTER")

Small philips screwdriver (I'M NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS FOR)

Pin vise (USED FOR HAND-DRILLING HOLES. IT IS VERY ESSENTIAL ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE USING DRILLS OF 0.5 TO 1.0MM IN DIAMETER. SOME WILL SAY "MERON NAMAN SA DREMEL" BUT BELIEVE ME, THIS TOOLS IS INDISPENSIBLE... BUT IT'S A LITTLE EXPENSIVE)

File (FOR SHAVING OFF IMPERFECTIONS IN THE MODEL. HE IS REFERRING TO JEWELRY FILES - YOU CAN BUY THESE IN P. PATERNO OR RAON IN QUIAPO)

Add a cutter (small box cutter will do) (FOR CUTTING OFF AND SHAVING PARTS. YOU CAN USE ANY KIND BUT I PERSONALLY PREFER EITHER NT OR OLFA)

Fine sandpaper (400 - 1000 grit) (FOR SANDING OFF IMPERFECTIONS IN THE MODEL. YOU CAN EVEN GET 2000 GRIT AT ACE HARDWARE)

Small pair of scissors (FOR CUTTING DECALS. I SUGGEST GETTING THE ON FOR NAILS AT WATSON'S)

Box of rubber bands (USED FOR CLAMPING DOWN DURING GLUING - LOW TECH BUT EFFECTIVE. I SUGGEST BUYING THE THIN KIND)

good quality masking tape (USED TO MASK AREAS YOU DO NOT WANT TO SAND OR PAINT. TAMIYA HAS THE BEST MASKING TAPE BUT IS VERY EXPENSIVE. THE BEST ALTERNATIVE IS 3M PAINTER'S MASKING TAPE OR EVERCELL CELLULOSE TAPE IF YOU CAN FIND IT. THEY LEAVE NO GUM RESIDUE ON THE MODEL SURFACE)

Thin liquid cement (USED TO WELD THE MODEL TOGETHER. TAMIYA HAS THIS AS WELL AS TESTORS BUT THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. ALTERNATIVES ARE CHLOROFORM - IF YOU CAN GET IT BECAUE YOU NEED A PDEA LICENSE TO GET IT OR HUDSON'S POLYURETHANE REDUCER. THESE ALTERNATIVES ARE NOT VERY SAFE TO USE SO BE CAREFUL BUT THEY ARE CHEAP)

Superglue (USED TO JOIN PARTS THAT ARE NOT MADE OF POLYSTYRENE. MOSTLY USED FOR METAL, RESIN OR VINYL PARTS OR MODELS. I SUGGEST GETTING GRECO CYANOACRYLATE GLUE WHICH YOU CAN BUY AT SHOE SUPPLY SHOPS. OTHERWISE, PIONEER MIGHTY BOND WILL DO)

white glue (elmers glue) (USED FOR GLUING CLEAR PARTS TOGETHER SUCH AS CANOPIES, HEADLIGHTS OF CARS, ETC.

If you can find a clip vise, it will help a lot. (USED TO CLAMP PARTS TOGETHER. THEY ARE QUITE EXPENSIVE BUT INVALUABLE)

If you're older, you'll need a magnifying lens or reading glasses (to see small details, of course!) (CHEAPEST ALTERNATIVE WOULD BE THE READING GLASSES YOU CAN BUY AT SM - CHOOSE WHICH SUITS YOUR TASTE BEST)

If you paint, you'll need to put together a separate painting kit. (SUGGEST BUYING BRUSHES MADE OF POLYAMIDE BRISTLES. THEY LAST LONGER THAN SABLE AND IS MORE DURABLE AND VERSATILE. DO NOT SCRIMP ON BRUSHES!!! THE QUALITY OF YOUR WORK DEPENDS ON THEM SO INVEST!!!)

ONE LAST TOOL YOU WILL NEED... THE HOBBY KNIFE. IT NORMALLY COMES BY THE NAME X-ACTO OR EXCEL. IT'S A VERY SHARP BLADE AND CUTS LIKE A SCALPEL. RECOMMEND BUYING THE #11 BLADE FOR IT. I PRESONALLY PREFER EXCEL BECAUSE OF THE RUBBER GRIP AND NON-ROLL FEATURE BUT X-ACTO IS MORE ROBUST AND WILL LAST YOU TWO LIFETIMES.

Jun

ONE LAST TOOL YOU WILL NEED... THE HOBBY KNIFE. IT NORMALLY COMES BY THE NAME X-ACTO OR EXCEL. IT'S A VERY SHARP BLADE AND CUTS LIKE A SCALPEL. RECOMMEND BUYING THE #11 BLADE FOR IT. I PRESONALLY PREFER EXCEL BECAUSE OF THE RUBBER GRIP AND NON-ROLL FEATURE BUT X-ACTO IS MORE ROBUST AND WILL LAST YOU TWO LIFETIMES.

Jun

You know, you're right about that! I got a Testors one in 1997, and it's still super sharp today! Couldn't find X-acto, so I settled for the Testors.

If you are planning tp get the Tamiya Set, "Lil's" sa Megamall may still have them in stock - they are Tamiya distributors here kasi. Greenhills/Viramall, hmmm - kasi only STC Viramall ang hobbyshop na alam ko diyan, but I don't remember their having this in stock. JMG sa Harrisson Plaza and it's sister-shop sa Makati Cinema Square are other options. Note: You may also find other more specialized tools there.

guys,

where can i buy a starter kit? is there a shop somehwere in greenhills/virra mall area?

thanks

There are several locations I know..

DEOVIR QUEZON BLVD.

Address: 778 Quezon Boulevard Quiapo Manila, Philippines

Telephone No.: 734-01-06; 734-01-08

DEOVIR CM RECTO

Address: Stall 27 Manila Cartimar Bldg Shopping Center, C.M. Recto, Manila, Philippines

Telephone No.: 733-94-55; Telefax No.: 733-98-46

DEOVIR SM MANILA

Address: 5th Floor SM City Manila, Brgy 659 Zone 71, Concepcion St., cor. Arroceros and SAn Marcelino Sts., Ermita Manila Philippines

Telephone No.: 522-36-71

DEOVIR SM NORTH EDSA

Address: 3F SM North EDSA, Quezon City, Philippines

Telephone No.: 926-97-99

tnx for the help......

I've been to two only (Quezon Blvd. and SM Manila) but their website says four. I'll check out the one in SM North EDSA later.

Jun

You just made my day... :upside: You are right... it's for when you get really "screwed"

BTW, Floppydrive... you can find X-Acto at National Bookstore or Deoivir.

Jun

Kung saan-saan pa ako naghahanap, mayroon palang malapit lang! Thanks!

If you are planning tp get the Tamiya Set, "Lil's" sa Megamall may still have them in stock - they are Tamiya distributors here kasi. Greenhills/Viramall, hmmm - kasi only STC Viramall ang hobbyshop na alam ko diyan, but I don't remember their having this in stock. JMG sa Harrisson Plaza and it's sister-shop sa Makati Cinema Square are other options. Note: You may also find other more specialized tools there.

STC has a few tools, but each item sold separately. BTW, Best Toys is giving STC a run for it's money. Their SciFi kits are 20% cheaper than STC's, forcing STC to lower prices. If you have a good relationship with Best Toys, you can even get additional discounts.

Trying out a work around for the lavender tint on clear parts - use a highlighter, then coat with Future/Wipe&Shine.

Kung saan-saan pa ako naghahanap, mayroon palang malapit lang! Thanks!

STC has a few tools, but each item sold separately. BTW, Best Toys is giving STC a run for it's money. Their SciFi kits are 20% cheaper than STC's, forcing STC to lower prices. If you have a good relationship with Best Toys, you can even get additional discounts.

Trying out a work around for the lavender tint on clear parts - use a highlighter, then coat with Future/Wipe&Shine.

Ows??? Saan Best Toys? Alabang?

Jun

Ows??? Saan Best Toys? Alabang?

Jun

V-Mall branch. Right across the third floor is Best Toys. Their old Hasegawa Macross kits were 1,900++, while Best Toys' newer Hasegawa Macross kits were 1700++, so they were giving 20% discounts. Hard to believe, right? And in the same store, they were only offering 20% discount on water damaged kits.

V-Mall branch. Right across the third floor is Best Toys. Their old Hasegawa Macross kits were 1,900++, while Best Toys' newer Hasegawa Macross kits were 1700++, so they were giving 20% discounts. Hard to believe, right? And in the same store, they were only offering 20% discount on water damaged kits.

Oh no my friend... I believe you. If you were talking about any other store (like JMN or Lil's), maybe I won't... but we are talking of STC. They are notorious for doing stuff like this. It is a pity that the owner thinks we are all morons and will not ever figure out his plans.

But naybe he does not have plans and is just compensating for his bad business strategies...

Either way, so pathetic...

Jun

Somewhere earlier on this thread I mentioned this bad experience with this owner of a chain of hobby shops. He just happened to be at Festival Mall when I was eyeing a 1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190 on a really high shelf. I asked him if that was the new tool kit and he said it was, but I had my doubts since the box looked old. So I asked him again if it had recessed panel lines, he insisted that it did. Still having doubts, I said I would come back for it when I had the cash and then I checked the internet. It really was the old kit.